Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I'd rather have that, than a guy making 60-great moves, 15-great runs, and 10-shots at goal - only to score none... That's useless in the end if the ball never ends up in the net...
    I think one of the most important functions De Rosario performed in that game was holding the ball up at various times. That's probably the area where being a man down hurts you the most. You win the ball only to be dispossessed quickly due to numbers.

He bobbed and weaved while our defenders mildly chased him around. He sucked in two or three guys and once and in the meantime DC players like Pontius what were defending had time to get up the field in attacking positions. This allowed DC to start the counter attack and ultimately put them in positions to create chances.

I think he's performance last time out had a lot more dimensions to it than a couple of defensive mistakes by TFC. Remember we play in a league where you see mistakes all the time, but they aren't always punished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think one of the most important functions De Rosario performed in that game was holding the ball up at various times. That's probably the area where being a man down hurts you the most. You win the ball only to be dispossessed quickly due to numbers.

He bobbed and weaved while our defenders mildly chased him around. He sucked in two or three guys and once and in the meantime DC players like Pontius what were defending had time to get up the field in attacking positions. This allowed DC to start the counter attack and ultimately put them in positions to create chances.

I think he's performance last time out had a lot more dimensions to it than a couple of defensive mistakes by TFC. Remember we play in a league where you see mistakes all the time, but they aren't always punished.
    Absolutely 100% spot on...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    But that is a harsh condition to make on any offensive player considering almost any goal, especially in MLS, comes on the heels of a defensive error!

We don't have Maradona or Messi taking on 10 players, making them look silly and scoring on their own effort. This is MLS. Where poaching goals is where you get results. Where defensive errors are what lead to goals. (It is also why reducing those defensive errors is what makes better teams in MLS rather than trying to outscore the opposition, something Winter has not learned yet.)

Our goals didn't come from "errors"? The difference in this league is a "sniper" as you call it that makes the most of his opportunities. Danny K obviously has brought that quality and I think he will do well. But so has DeRo.

The biggest problem we all had with Barrett was despite receiving those "gifts" time and again, he flubbed them. Nobody was expecting him to be beating players one on one but at least bury the opportunities that are created for you by whatever means, including defensive lapses.

Calling them "gifts" as somehow detracting from the value of the goals is hypocritical considering the few goals even we score come the same way for the most part.
    If the definition of picking apart a defense was that you had to beat players more then 5 times in a game then Danny Dichio surely sucked for us. I don't remember Danny beating a single player in his entire career with TFC. He capitalized on space given to him, or beat players to a ball when he scored his goals. That in itself is picking apart the defense. Whether it's the midfield that doesn't track back to defend, or the defenders who don't step up to challenge the shot, in the end, you found a gap in their defense and took advantage of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

This is the kinda stuff that's missing when you don't watch the game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goals win games. If you can exploit 3-moments for 3-goals in a match - you've done a pretty decent job dominating where it counts, the scoreboard...
    Not saying that he didn't do well in his oppotunities....I just felt IMO...that Pachuco was making his performance sound like it was that of legend (being sarcastic here). Yes goals win games of course, but to me....and this is only me, he did nothing over and above what he was supposed to do....

The miracle in montreal is what I define as picking apart and dominating a game. But again, my opinion and I am a DeRo man......

side note....surprised you called JDG smart. hmmmmmmm
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again...my opinions. I love DeRo, JDG and anything CMNT...so I have a soft spot for our boys. I just didn't feel like this was a montrous game for DeRo. Yes, 3 goals is monstrous. I just have seen him play better scoring less goals or even none sometimes.
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    but to me....and this is only me, he did nothing over and above what he was supposed to do....
    He supposed to score 3-goals a game...????

Talk about unreal expectations, if 3-goals is what's expected...

I know you're saying "finishing chances" is what he is supposed to do - but bagging 3-goals, when down to 10-men, including a 85+ PK when down a goal - is going far above what any striker is "expected to do" in a match...

Credit where Credit it due - without his performance, TFC would have walked away with a relatively easy 3pts on the road...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again...my opinions. I love DeRo, JDG and anything CMNT...so I have a soft spot for our boys. I just didn't feel like this was a montrous game for DeRo. Yes, 3 goals is monstrous. I just have seen him play better scoring less goals or even none sometimes.
    I hate to say it - but this is problem with alot of our fans...

We love hard working guys, who are on the ball all game, but don't WIN GAMES...

I'd rather have a striker touch the ball 3-times and score 3-times - than run all over the place, have a 99% pass rate, 22-shots on goal, beat 10-guys 1-v-1 and score NOTHING...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you're saying "finishing chances" is what he is supposed to do - but bagging 3-goals, when down to 10-men, including a 85+ PK when down a goal - is going far above what any striker is "expected to do" in a match...

Credit where Credit it due - without his performance, TFC would have walked away with a relatively easy 3pts on the road...

Imagine Barrett in DeRo's spot and tell me he bags 3 goals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that is a harsh condition to make on any offensive player considering almost any goal, especially in MLS, comes on the heels of a defensive error!

We don't have Maradona or Messi taking on 10 players, making them look silly and scoring on their own effort. This is MLS. Where poaching goals is where you get results. Where defensive errors are what lead to goals. (It is also why reducing those defensive errors is what makes better teams in MLS rather than trying to outscore the opposition, something Winter has not learned yet.)

Our goals didn't come from "errors"? The difference in this league is a "sniper" as you call it that makes the most of his opportunities. Danny K obviously has brought that quality and I think he will do well. But so has DeRo.

The biggest problem we all had with Barrett was despite receiving those "gifts" time and again, he flubbed them. Nobody was expecting him to be beating players one on one but at least bury the opportunities that are created for you by whatever means, including defensive lapses.

Calling them "gifts" as somehow detracting from the value of the goals is hypocritical considering the few goals even we score come the same way for the most part.
    I understand your point, but I'm not trying to detract from his performance on the night. I just think that Iro in particular made his performance loom much larger than it should have, that is all. For example, I thought the 2 goals that DeRo scored the previous week against San Jose were of much greater quality than the goals he scored against TFC.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-09-2011 at 12:19 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo scored a hat-trick. Any way you slice it that's a very good game for any footballer on any given day. Gift or no gift, you still have to out the ball in the net.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of how the guy handled some situations. But to diminish what he did as fluke is just a crazy as saying he played on the level of Messi. He had a very good game and did what good pros do. Take their chances and bury them.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of DeRo's and am glad he's gone, but by god, you don't think a hat-trick when the team's down a man for nearly the entire game is "monstrous?" Talk about unrealistic expectations. Even though it was scored against one of the worst teams in the league, it's impressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not saying that he didn't do well in his oppotunities....I just felt IMO...that Pachuco was making his performance sound like it was that of legend (being sarcastic here). Yes goals win games of course, but to me....and this is only me, he did nothing over and above what he was supposed to do....

The miracle in montreal is what I define as picking apart and dominating a game. But again, my opinion and I am a DeRo man......

side note....surprised you called JDG smart. hmmmmmmm
    Screen cap that shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I understand your point, but I'm not trying to detract from his performance on the night. I just think that Iro in particular made his performance loom much larger than it should have, that is all. For example, I thought the 2 goals that DeRo scored the previous week against San Jose were of much greater quality than the goals he scored against TFC.
    Why are some concentrating so much on how the goals went in? I didn't think that's the only time where Dero was visible in this game. I pretty much felt like if DC had the ball in the opposing end, Dero was causing havoc. How the goals went in doesn't really factor in my assessment of his game.

Also just want to add for the rest that I didn't come on here talking about how incredible Dero is and how he ripped our defense apart first. I was defending his performance from people who didn't watch the game and were commenting on it. Any time you try and wholeheartedly defend a stance things get blown way out of proportion.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ he had the game of his season and possibly the best one he will ever have through the remainder of his career.

He was motivated and delivered for his new team. Fluke? Playing against jet lagged opponents? Whatever. He knocked 3 in and his team earned a draw. Pretty good night for him consider all the ill-will that existed between him and ownership.

I'm sure the only way he could script it any better would have been to score the winner too. Not much more to say.

Doesn't change a thing for me though. Very happy to have moved on from this sideshow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he did, he'd be hailed as the greatest player ever to take the pitch.

Because he's that "hard working guy who shuts his mouth".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Oh man, here you go again. You didn't watch the game. How the heck would you know if he picked the defense apart? Sorry but stuff like this drives me nuts. You are obviously very biased in your opinion to the point that you think you can make one having watched some highlights. The question isn't how he scored the goals, it's how he picked apart our defense the entire game.
    I have watched the entire game since my intial comments smartguy. He did nothing that you have claimed he did. I'm biased, ha that's a laugh. Even my initial comments were very accurate without watching the entire game. Why don't you and the rrest of the haters go start a site, you can call it the RPBW. .RED PATCH BITCHERS AND WHINERS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are some concentrating so much on how the goals went in? I didn't think that's the only time where Dero was visible in this game. I pretty much felt like if DC had the ball in the opposing end, Dero was causing havoc. How the goals went in doesn't really factor in my assessment of his game.
    I was a DeRo supporter during his tumultuous tenure in Toronto. I have no agenda in evaluating his performance, but based on the way the match progressed, and the litany of errors by Iro, I don't think he should have singlehandedly cost us two points on the night. The disappointing result could have easily been avoided, despite DeRo's presence on the pitch.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    If he did, he'd be hailed as the greatest player ever to take the pitch.

Because he's that "hard working guy who shuts his mouth".
    Barrett had a few great lines for media. Anything derogatory he said he saved on himself.

DeRo has done and said some things in the media I've loved him for. He could still impress me for Canada.

Man, this nitpicking over how good the performance was is overblown.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-09-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and let's leave the critiquing to the game and it's players. Not those that watch it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    I have watched the entire game since my intial comments smartguy. He did nothing that you have claimed he did. I'm biased, ha that's a laugh. Even my initial comments were very accurate without watching the entire game. Why don't you and the rrest of the haters go start a site, you can call it the RPBW. .RED PATCH BITCHERS AND WHINERS.
    Umm...you've shown time and time again on this site that as soon as your opinion gets challenged or as soon as your opinion is different you turn to direct personal insults. If this doesn't get you a time out for a while I don't know what will.

BTW - Even if you watched the game after the fact, doesn't change why I challenged your posts BEFORE you watched the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm...you've shown time and time again on this site that as soon as your opinion gets challenged or as soon as your opinion is different you turn to direct personal insults. If this doesn't get you a time out for a while I don't know what will.

BTW - Even if you watched the game after the fact, doesn't change why I challenged your posts BEFORE you watched the game.
    My opinion gets challenged all the time, I don't know what you are going on about that for, C'mon.

How did I personally insult you? Dude your one of the most toxic people on here, there are lots of posts you say I agree with but in general you are one the most negative people i have ever come across along with several others.

You said JDG goal was from 65 yards out, now who's being biased. Why was my opinion biased? I am a DERO supporter go back a couple of pages and read them before calling me biased against the guy.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guys, you don't have to agree, but you do have to keep things civil. Apart from one or two comments, this thread has been a refreshingly on-topic and mostly civil post-game thread, so let's keep it that way.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol.......I am not paying attention to this post because it clearly makes perfect sense.

I am still under the belief that you are not rational because you called JDG smart......you must be running a fever.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of DeRo's and am glad he's gone, but by god, you don't think a hat-trick when the team's down a man for nearly the entire game is "monstrous?" Talk about unrealistic expectations. Even though it was scored against one of the worst teams in the league, it's impressive.
    So if all three of DeRo's goals were of the Marosevic quality would it still be a monstrous game? Just for arguements sake....not saying their wasn't any skill involved in all 3 of DeRo's goals, but just throwing it out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See that's the thing.

I watched Vancouver-Chicago on Sunday and the defender made a horrendous error like Iro did by failing to make a routine clearance. At that point Hassli was clear in on net. My initial reaction: he might score.

If we were watching something more high quality, you could have turned off the TV right there and assumed the ball was going in the net. But we operate in the league of Jeff Cunningham, Chad Barrett, and other guys who are deficient players. They come in 1 v. 1 on the keeper and regularly come away with nothing regardless of how much time they have.

End of the story: Hassli made no mistake and slammed the ball into the net emphatically and that just crystallized the difference between the average MLS player and someone that plays at his level. Hoping that Koevermans can be that guy for us once he gets in shape.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ which is also the reason that the League (not just TFC FO) doesn't want to hand out DP contracts to players like DeRo, Cunningham and Casey. All, very successful MLS players. Clearly, a step below the type of player that they are trying to bring into the league via the DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    My opinion gets challenged all the time, I don't know what you are going on about that for, C'mon.

How did I personally insult you? Dude your one of the most toxic people on here, there are lots of posts you say I agree with but in general you are one the most negative people i have ever come across along with several others.

You said JDG goal was from 65 yards out, now who's being biased. Why was my opinion biased? I am a DERO supporter go back a couple of pages and read them before calling me biased against the guy.
    You have a really hard time sticking to arguing the point at hand. Just about every second post from you where we disagree turns into you're a bitch, a whiner, toxic...blah blah blah. Challenge my opinion, but fuck off with your personal attacks, getting quite tired of having to read this shit from while I have to restrict myself from telling you what I really think about you.

Oh, and yes, I admitted I was biased in JDG's goal assessment long before this post...so I have no idea what you are going on about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol.......I am not paying attention to this post because it clearly makes perfect sense.

I am still under the belief that you are not rational because you called JDG smart......you must be running a fever.

So if all three of DeRo's goals were of the Marosevic quality would it still be a monstrous game? Just for arguements sake....not saying their wasn't any skill involved in all 3 of DeRo's goals, but just throwing it out there.
    I know, I must be sick or something LOL!

But you know what, ya kinda... 'GOALS are GOALS'...

I don't care how you score, if you can somehow, legally, put the ball in the net on a regular basis, by power stikes, using your ass, or somehow always being he right place to tap in rebounds and mistakes - I don't care b/c a goal is a goal...

At the end of 90+ minutes, 2-highlight reel goals lose to 3-tap ins...

At the end of the season 25-game-winning-goal tap ins are worth more than 10-highlight reel goals in loses...

It might be a narrow way to look, but in my mind, you play to win. Not to entertain, not to show off, to win... And goals win games....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marosevic was invisible outside of the goal he scored. That was pretty much the general consensus. Do you believe Dero was invisible outside of the three goals? I ask because I don't think it's fair to judge the game based on the goals he scored, unless you think he did nothing else of course.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the "Roogsy" meter of whether a goal is impressive or not.

If Roogsy can score it, it's a pretty shitty goal

I could have scored the Marosevic goal therefore...