Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should have been a 3-2 win, but Iro the Pylon has been terrible since he arrived, not only has been slow and out of shape, but keeps trying to lay blame on his new team mates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoftheDrink View Post
    Afaik

Goto 0:40

I think Sutton had another one for NYRB earlier this season too. Had one for us in Charleston too.
    Thanks man. No wonder I didn't remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget the penalty... but I still think Frei normally would have stopped that first one.
    He's a great keeper but that was a bit weak in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iro's fuck up right after we took the lead was a rusty dagger to the heart....NEVER have I been more annoyed. The whole team was on a come-back but NOOOOOOOOO, Iro had different plans for the evening.

If we pulled him out and played 10 men voluntarily, we would've got the three points....just sayin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Should have been a 3-2 win, but Iro the Pylon has been terrible since he arrived, not only has been slow and out of shape, but keeps trying to lay blame on his new team mates.
    I actually saw him trip on the ball under NO pressure...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was broken after that penalty. He was having a shocker as it was, but when our third goal went in, Koevs was all over Iro - smiling and talking to him, presumably trying to get some confidence in him after his involvement in the goal. Two minutes later though, after conceding the pen, Iro was just done. Head down, didn't want the ball anywhere near him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cherono View Post
    He was broken after that penalty. He was having a shocker as it was, but when our third goal went in, Koevs was all over Iro - smiling and talking to him, presumably trying to get some confidence in him after his involvement in the goal. Two minutes later though, after conceding the pen, Iro was just done. Head down, didn't want the ball anywhere near him.
    That's the worst when that happens...

I mean, when I get like that in Men's League I feel bad enough - let alone it happening to a guy in a professional match...

Nice to see Koevermans trying to pick him up and be a team-leader type of guy - but I don't think anything was going to bring back Iro's confidence out there on Saturday night...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what can you say other than this team truly finds new and creative ways to crush your spirits. forget 'All for one'. It should be the team moto.

Even when all the signs point to a victory, you know you will be dissapointed in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondaddy View Post
    I actually saw him trip on the ball under NO pressure...
    I once saw Stefan Frei flub a goal kick straight at a attacking player giving a clear breakway....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iro: I hated the trade, said so the second it happened, but I don't get this.

Like it or lump it, we've committed to the guy now. We spent very significant asset to get him.

He needs to be out there Saturday, with the full support of us.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Like it or lump it, we've committed to the guy now. We spent very significant asset to get him.

Agreed. Not much point hating on the dude, as he's hear for at least the rest of this season, and he was the Crew's player of the year in 2009, so hopefully he can regain that form, even with a shakier central partnership. Robinson is faster (and can play wide as well), so maybe once he's fit they'll partner them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Agreed, although in the long term, Iro might benefit more from a night off than he would from being thrown right back into the fire against an offensive powerhouse like RSL. Another terrible outing would be devastating for him. I think he should be given a chance to regain his confidence the following week against a weaker side like Chicago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    You did notice the DC keeper being sent off in the 9th minute and them being a man down for the rest of the game?
    Ya and I also saw our keeper let in a goal that 99% of the time he saves along with every other keeper at this level, and I also saw one of our defensemen whiff at the balll leading to another goal and I also saw a somewhat questionable pK given against us again yet again.
    I also acknowledged that the result was somewhat fair given the blunders by both teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Ya and I also saw our keeper let in a goal that 99% of the time he saves along with every other keeper at this level, and I also saw one of our defensemen whiff at the balll leading to another goal and I also saw a somewhat questionable pK given against us again yet again.
    I also acknowledged that the result was somewhat fair given the blunders by both teams.
    For someone who didn't watch the game, you sure do have some strong opinions about this game. I personally would rather discuss the game with people who actually watched it.

Heathen

You may also want to acknowledge we were a man up for 90+ minutes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Agreed. Not much point hating on the dude, as he's hear for at least the rest of this season, and he was the Crew's player of the year in 2009, so hopefully he can regain that form, even with a shakier central partnership. Robinson is faster (and can play wide as well), so maybe once he's fit they'll partner them.
    Iro had a horrible game, and has not been good since comming over. BUT he has shown me flashes of understanding what he is doing. He has all the physical attributes of a good CB, and the tools, his touch just seems to be way off. Which makes no sense for a professional, but there it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    For someone who didn't watch the game, you sure do have some strong opinions about this game. I personally would rather discuss the game with people who actually watched it.
    Like I said I watched the game in six and read what the general concensus was from posters on here. Is my post not a fair recap of what happened in the game?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Iro had a horrible game, and has not been good since comming over. BUT he has shown me flashes of understanding what he is doing. He has all the physical attributes of a good CB, and the tools, his touch just seems to be way off. Which makes no sense for a professional, but there it is.
    i know exactly what you mean, i suspect its a combination of his ego taking a battering and a serious lack of playing time, i do think he will get better but fact is his contract is up at the end of the season and i dunno if he'll fit in by then adn whether we will keep him around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlights from the reserve game are here:

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2011/08...2-toronto-fc-1

That last goal is totally a WTF?

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

The Toronto goal was kinda nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sure is. I'm not sure who that #13 is in the wall but if I were the keeper he'd be hearing from me after the game. That's shameful and cowardly.

That being said...the keeper has to take more control of his wall there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed.

TFC's goal was nice though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    It sure is. I'm not sure who that #13 is in the wall but if I were the keeper he'd be hearing from me after the game. That's shameful and cowardly.

That being said...the keeper has to take more control of his wall there.
    Makyuba or however you spell it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Agreed, although in the long term, Iro might benefit more from a night off than he would from being thrown right back into the fire against an offensive powerhouse like RSL. Another terrible outing would be devastating for him. I think he should be given a chance to regain his confidence the following week against a weaker side like Chicago.
    I disagree. Winter put Kocic back in after a mistake that could have nearly cost us advancement in the CCL. And Kocic played solid. Put Iro in, show players you believe in them, and they will believe in themselves. Also... something nobody points out... part of our shakiness at the back is because of Frei. He is great at reaction saves, but bad at managing the game, too often he gets scored on because he doesn't come for the ball enough... I mean when you are the only guy in box who can use your hands, if your first instinct isn't to take the ball out of the air, there is a problem... no I'm gonna roast for it just saying... would like to see more of Kocic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback6 View Post
    I disagree. Winter put Kocic back in after a mistake that could have nearly cost us advancement in the CCL. And Kocic played solid. Put Iro in, show players you believe in them, and they will believe in themselves. Also... something nobody points out... part of our shakiness at the back is because of Frei. He is great at reaction saves, but bad at managing the game, too often he gets scored on because he doesn't come for the ball enough... I mean when you are the only guy in box who can use your hands, if your first instinct isn't to take the ball out of the air, there is a problem... no I'm gonna roast for it just saying... would like to see more of Kocic.
    Total agreement.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like dero too but why do certain people bring the guy up like he has a halo over his head,
    Because he is by far the most prolific goal scorer this team ever had. And when he wasn't scoring himself, he was usually assisting or supporting the attack in some capacity.

the guy wanted to be traded and the rest is history.
    Actually, he only wanted traded after months of trying to negotiate with the club to get some more money from them.

I wish him nothing but the best but those 3 last night were a little cheap. The first was a good shot but frei got quite a bit of the ball and should have made that save especially. With the defense getting solved eventually I am looking forward to next year.
    A goal is a goal. I agree that a penalty kick is almost guaranteed to reach the back of the net, but it's kinda of hard to argue that DeRo didn't have a great game on Saturday and totally picked our defence apart.

For sure, if we have had a more competent back line things might be different but speculation on this level will get us nowhere. The one good thing we can take from the match is that we can score three times against DC on the road - ie: offence is not a problem.

Sorry, didn't want to go off on a DeRo tangent, but your first two remarks needed clarified.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 08-08-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Because he is by far the most prolific goal scorer this team ever had. And when he wasn't scoring himself, he was usually assisting or supporting the attack in some capacity.

Actually, he only wanted traded after months of trying to negotiate with the club to get some more money from them.

A goal is a goal. I agree that a penalty kick is almost guaranteed to reach the back of the net, but it's kinda of hard to argue that DeRo didn't have a great game on Saturday and totally picked our defence apart.

For sure, if we have had a more competent back line things might be different but speculation on this level will get us nowhere. The one good thing we can take from the match is that we can score three times against DC on the road - ie: offence is not a problem.

Sorry, didn't want to go off on a DeRo tangent, but your first two remarks needed clarified.
    Actually, he didn't assist that often. I believe he only had three last year, despite playing in the midfield most games.

And he had already been given a $100,000 contract raise when he first moved here, plus a bump in year two.

And It's not hard at all to argue against him picking our team apart. The first goal was from 25 yards, so that was the defense not closing down a shot. The second was a definitely "pick apart", if you mean the gap between Andy Iro's legs. The third was a penalty.

Saying he picked us apart implies a game long domination, and statiscally we dominated them; their goals came off bad defending, not DeRo's creativity.

Great goal scorer, though, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingback6 View Post
    I totally understand this sentiment, and normally I would be in complete agreement. Iro's situation is not necessarily analagous to Kocic though. Iro has had several poor outings in a row, and he has been directly responsible for 4-5 goals against in that span.

At times, players can regain their focus following a stretch of poor form if they watch a game or two from the sidelines. I also think it's unecessary to rush him back into a starting job if he's not ready yet, considering there are two untested CB's in Robinson and Viator on the bench.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this thread still happening?

side note: I saw Ecks, Plata and some unknown small guy in the park today. They looked happy and peppy, like young men in love with the city they find themselves in. Let's hope it stays that way.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Actually, he didn't assist that often. I believe he only had three last year, despite playing in the midfield most games.

And he had already been given a $100,000 contract raise when he first moved here, plus a bump in year two.

And It's not hard at all to argue against him picking our team apart. The first goal was from 25 yards, so that was the defense not closing down a shot. The second was a definitely "pick apart", if you mean the gap between Andy Iro's legs. The third was a penalty.

Saying he picked us apart implies a game long domination, and statiscally we dominated them; their goals came off bad defending, not DeRo's creativity.

Great goal scorer, though, for sure.
    DId he not lead the team in asists both years he was here? Pretty sure he did. Not sure what else you could do. Pretty hard to lead the league in assists when the players around you don't know how to take two steps with the ball.

Also, I do think he picked the team apart, you can't just look at the goals and he he scored them. Anytime he got the ball he basically had a field day with the defense, they didn't always results in goals. But that's not a requirement to make the statement that he picked apart the defense. I would even say he picked apart Frings himself.