Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post

DeRo was a class above, as I expected, he tends to rise to occasions and this was an occasion.
    As deserving as any DP should be

I've read all week here about how Frings was going to mark him off the pitch and break this and that.
    All I've read is how Frings would go for a hard tackle on the legs and Dero would sidestep and score. That wasn't even a factor tonight, first goal was horrible defence off a set piece, second goal was a gift from Iro and then the penalty shot goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As in Dero for Tchani for Iro?
    What's that got to do with the offensive improvements?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    I still can't fathom how people keep complaining about the first half of the season while the new team is on the pitch, and responding like they were the ones who lacked in ability.

First game of the season roster, March 19 2011:

Stefan Frei**, Dan Gargan, Nana Attakora, Ty Harden, Adrian Cann, Nathan Sturgis (Gianluca Zavarise 69), Dwayne De Rosario, Jacob Peterson (Mikael Yourassowsky 71), Nick Soolsma (Keith Makubuya 46), Maicon Santos, Javier Martina

**Players in bold were on the field in DC tonight.
    Our 2011 regular season is a write off, so in that context, I understand the sentiment. However, I agree that if we're going to judge this team as it's currently constructed, as opposed to judging the 2011 season, we have to evaluate the performances since the transfer window based on their own merits, or lack thereof.

As of July 15th, TFC is 0-2-2 in league play, and 2-0-0 in the CCL.

The results have been underwhelming thus far. Unfortunately, one defender has caused 3 PKs in those matches, 2 of which directly resulted in the last 2 league draws that would have otherwise been victories. Nonetheless, there have been definite signs of improvement.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-07-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    All I've read is how Frings would go for a hard tackle on the legs and Dero would sidestep and score. That wasn't even a factor tonight, first goal was horrible defence off a set piece, second goal was a gift from Iro and then the penalty shot goal
    Dero pretty much had his way with anyone who was marking him tonight, Frings included.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    And as I said, this information is largely irrelevant to the point I was making - our offense is much improved since the transfer window, which currently only amounts to a handful of games.

- Scott
    Based on shite to crap since the transfer window? Do you believe this squad will have a better goal difference than the 2007 team, with the "much improved offence"?

Just asking?

I see where your going but does it really matter if you let in more than you can score?
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does the goal difference have to do with anything, when it's a completely different team now than the one that started out the season?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Games at the beginning of the year still count in the standings. There's no Apertura or Clausura in MLS.

Instead of fooling around with a winter schedule (and following the FIFA calendar) maybe MLS should look at an Apertura or Clasura schedule given that the transfer window opens up in the middle of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Draw For TFC Snatched From The Jaws Of Victory

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2011/08/draw-in-dc/

In this post game video blog I lament having only roughly sixty seconds to enjoy the thoughts of a Toronto FC road victory in DC against United before it is cruelly snatched away and turns into a less than satisfying 3-3 draw.

In this edition I also give deserved praise to DeRo and his hat trick, I again give praise to Aron Winter getting his substitutions generally right, I heap more praise on Danny K who now has three goals in four MLS matches and I lament what might be the worst game from a defender (from Andy Iro unfortunately) in a season replete with them for Toronto FC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyhoo...I missed the game and only watched the game in 6 and this is my conclusion...

Iro is shit.
    Dero is a scrub.
    Frei still can't save a PK to save his life.
    after playing up a man for about 85 minutes against a keeper that played a horrible game, TFC let this one get away. yeah they scored 3, yeah they didn't lose, but I would probably feel better about this game if we lost say 2-1 or 1-0. Dero's little flop at the end was pretty funny looking....looked like he was shot in the back as he dropped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    What does the goal difference have to do with anything, when it's a completely different team now than the one that started out the season?
    Because it has a lot to do with our overall futility and we're still leaking goals. Players have changed, the results have not changed as much as the quality of the opponents we've played has.

The team is still playing at a MLS doormat level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    My comment was specifically in relation to that goal. The team fell asleep for a big chunk of the match. No disagreement. But that particular play, the onus is on Frings.
    Not really. He read what was happening before anyone else and tried to charge in to cover but was too late, that's all. We already had four defenders between DeRosario and the goal by that point and none of them closed him down. That's why the goal was scored, not because frings didn't get across in the midfield.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    Because we are comparing teams since the "transfer window".

First 6 games* -3
    Last 6 games* -9

*league games
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goals for…

First 6 games* 4
    Last 6 games* 7

*league games

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shakes isn't incorrect this team IS better offensively but we are weaker defensively…and by a vastly greater number.

The numbers add up to crap versus shite and even then I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I understand we are looking for positives but their still on the negative side. The numbers don't lie…we can say were better but the record says otherwise.

Record first 6 v last 6

First 6 games* LWTTTL
    Last 6 games* TTLLLL

*league games

http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shakes isn't incorrect this team IS better offensively but we are weaker defensively…and by a vastly greater number.
    It's no coincidence since Cann was injured May 31 and Williams injured June 10 our goals against has increased.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what has been observed this season with the evidence of trades etc, you can be be sure that Winter and Marnier are aware of the deficiency in the the defense and that will be addressed. Disappointing about Iro, I suspect that either he has lost it or that he is still regaining form.
    Good for Julian to finally pot one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only right thing to do (for the coaches) about Iro is to help him get through the low point, slump of his career and NOT to barrage him with criticism and negativity. His confidence is SO LOW that punishment or anything simply will not help.

Whether or not he has future with TFC is very unclear, but if they help the player, at least we maybe able to get something for him...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Not really. He read what was happening before anyone else and tried to charge in to cover but was too late, that's all. We already had four defenders between DeRosario and the goal by that point and none of them closed him down. That's why the goal was scored, not because frings didn't get across in the midfield.
    Yeah, Frings was the only one awake here, although not awake enough, sadly. Not sure what every one else was thinking, you know DeRo's going to be involved in that scenario.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont want DeRo back, at all, horrible idea.

Iro has been atrocious, but TFC at points looked very good. Fact is if Iro didnt shit the bed, TFC would have dominated DCU and the possession stats show the dominance.

In defense of Iro, if there could be any, the backs were pressed up high so often on the counter attacks it was Iro 1v1 with MeRo and not too many players would do well. Sadly, his gaffes were not of MeRos making and overshadowed greatly some very good defending he put in. Boneheaded mistakes totally ruined some pretty decent 1v1 marking. Watch the replays, sadly Iros undoing is all his fault, not from DCU.

How Winter does not realize you cannot leave your CBS in MLS to their own devices is beyond my understanding. Every match our backs are pressed high and TFC is considerably weak against a pacy counter attack. Poor coaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The numbers add up to crap versus shite and even then I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I understand we are looking for positives but their still on the negative side. The numbers don't lie…we can say were better but the record says otherwise.

Record first 6 v last 6

First 6 games* LWTTTL
    Last 6 games* TTLLLL

*league games

http://www.torontofc.ca/schedule
    We tied our last two league games no? Our last 5 is LLLDD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought all of our defensive issues would disappear once we got rid of all the the stupid and lazy Americans?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    i thought all of our defensive issues would disappear once we got rid of all the the stupid and lazy Americans?
    No one ever said that. Stop trolling.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-07-2011 at 06:39 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings is a beast !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner/Klinny are to be commended in vastly improving our offense from one that depended on one man (DeRo), to a multi-player threat that scores goals every game. In 4 years of TFC, I never had the confidence that the team would score in any match, yet I had virtually no doubt that they would score at least one goal this game. When you depend only on one player, that player will sometimes have off games where he will disappear. DC without a pumped DeRo would have lost that match 3-0. Hopefully Mariner will fix the backline in the January transfer window so that will be strong, as well.

This game, despite the huge disappointment, actually had a lot of positives:

* Frings is the real deal. As Nigel Reid said on the last Soccer Show, easily one of the 10 best players in MLS. He makes the whole squad look better.

* De Guzman stepping up. If he played every game like last night, we might not even need to get rid of him (I think even with him here, we'll have some decent cap space to work with next year to sign some quality in back).

* 3 goals, 3 different players.

* absolutely dominating DC in possession. Look at the stats.

* You can see that the team is starting to gel.

* The game was exciting to watch.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-07-2011 at 06:38 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iro is a fucken horrible defender from the minute i saw this fucker play! I am glad to see that we have been scoring quite a bit so thats a nice change, and for Dero just what I excpected from him and dont know how our fucken owners could let a guy like this go.I hope Iro sits the rest of this year and release him at end of season,We have seen to many of these types of player over the last 5 years and dont want to go through another Nick Garcia era, fuck him get rid of him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shakes, I'll acknowledge your well thought out pieces.

As for a number of other posts from people other than Shakes, I cannot believe the number of folks that are acknowledging the team looked tired yet still conclude it should have been a non-factor.

One team was home and cooled for a week. The other spent over 22 hours on planes, 4 hours on buses and put their heads down on pillows in 3 separate time zones.

We can conclude that our new defensive player is shit, despite being a 6th overall draft pick, 3 NCAA Defensive Player of the Year honours and being a First Team All-American.

Or we can say you know what? He, like quite a few others looked tired and if you were preparing an athlete to perform at their peak, you sure as heck wouldn't fly them out to Portland, Nicaragua, Toronto and then on to DC in the span of 7 days.

Reasons aren't excuses folks. Step back from the ledge.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paul Mariner

Yes Iro sucked tonight - but Paul Mariner evaluated his ability and upside and felt he could bring it - was he right or wrong - I won't judge after 3 games....as a former pro - TRAVEL absolutely kills you - at this point in the season....we were tired.

As for the squad - very very excited by the young talent we have amassed - Avilia looked great, and our DP's excelled...some of the new pick ups and our young talent are going to really come into their own under Winter.

I thought the Ecks sub off was awesome - as his biggest fan - I thought he looked tired and for Winter to sub him off for Stinson ... we'll to me was a clear indication that if you don't preform - I've got a bench.

I feel so very optimistic in the future of the club - for the first time in 5 years - the future looks very bright. Finally our new DP's are CLASSY. What impresses me about Koevermanns is how he handles himself on the Pitch....with the refs, the opposition, great role model and he DELIVERS.

Frings is and will be our Captain for the next few years - and a privilege to watch and watch him develop our young players.

Thank you MLSE for making these moves....
    Last edited by bigbamboom; 08-07-2011 at 07:03 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post

Respect to the District Ultras for showing restraint and not throwing a single item. Same scenario at BMO and it would have been 4 beers, 2 slices of pizza, a hotdog, and a few coins.

depending on the value of the coins and the size of the beers.... that's like 80 bucks right there!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mikey

80 BUCKS!, isn't that like a days pay for some of our "Major League" players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    * absolutely dominating DC in possession. Look at the stats.
    We were up a man, I would hope we would dominate them in possession.