Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd prefer getting a defender for Santos, but at this point, I'll take this plus the always mysterious allocation money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I just find it amusing that people renew over and over and then complain when the team sucks. I have heard this *every year* since the end of the 2008 season.

I say to them "Buyer Beware." This team hasn't had much success. Buying season seats and then complaining about performance is like buying a used car you know has had major running problems in the past and then complaining when it breaks down.

Personally, I knew it was going to be a rebuilding year when Preki and Mo were fired. I still renewed my season seats. I'm not now going to complain that I'm getting ripped off because the team is performing poorly in rebuilding mode and demand a refund. I took my chances, knowing how shitty this team has been over the years and all the turmoil that's gone on. I was fully aware.
    Sure, STH's that renewed had to be aware that the team was going to struggle, but I don't think anyone could have possibly expected 3 wins thus far. If I buy a used car, I expect it to require additional maintenance and occasional repairs, but I don't expect it to break down regularly.

I do believe that there is finally just cause for optimism looking ahead to next year, but it is certainly understandable if casual fans, that comprise the majority of STH's and are far less knowledgeable about the club than the frequent posters on this forum feel ripped off, and decide not to renew next season as a result.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 08-03-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I just find it amusing that people renew over and over and then complain when the team sucks. I have heard this *every year* since the end of the 2008 season.

I say to them "Buyer Beware." This team hasn't had much success. Buying season seats and then complaining about performance is like buying a used car you know has had major running problems in the past and then complaining when it breaks down.

Personally, I knew it was going to be a rebuilding year when Preki and Mo were fired. I still renewed my season seats. I'm not now going to complain that I'm getting ripped off because the team is performing poorly in rebuilding mode and demand a refund. I took my chances, knowing how shitty this team has been over the years and all the turmoil that's gone on. I was fully aware.
    This reads like a press release from MLSE.

Whatever floats your boat.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    No. We got Johnson in the Attakora + Peterson + Gordon trade.

Right now we essentially have Borman, Iro, Griffit and a draft pick to show for De Rosario.
    my bad, for wahtever reason remembered getting Gordon from NY which is way off.

Regardless, I still wont be upset.
    DeRo either way was going to leave. Lets not make this another DeRo thread.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This reads like a press release from MLSE.

Whatever floats your boat.
    The funny thing is that even TFC FO essentially promised us things would be better.

They stood in front of us at the townhalls and promised the team would be ready for the start of the season and that this would be the best management team in MLS. Yet it wasn't ready and the jury is still out. But now some fans are totally happy to write off the first 2/3rds of the season.

I don't think even they thought we would have 3 wins in 24 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a core of 5-6 players who might be good enough to form a good MLS team. But there are a number of positions we need to improve on. Plus a number of the recent additions are projects. They won't all pan out.
    It depends on the contract status of Ecks and Plata and the injury status of Cann and Williams. If they all remain with the club next season (and I hope they do), I think we could have a core of as many as 8-9 starters returning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny thing is that even TFC FO essentially promised us things would be better.

They stood in front of us at the townhalls and promised the team would be ready for the start of the season and that this would be the best management team in MLS. Yet it wasn't ready and the jury is still out. But now some fans are totally happy to write off the first 2/3rds of the season.

I don't think even they thought we would have 3 wins in 24 games.
    Given mlse's legacy of earning bundles of money while building horrible pro teams, winning 3 games was probably right on target for these dummies. Winter seems genuinely perturbed about the lack of success, but his bosses could care less; "winning is a bad thing" is the appropriate motto.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's put this thread back on track...

Some thoughts from Dallas BS poster on Avila

His biggest assets are his creativity and knack for scoring clutch goals. Not fast, but shifty enough to beat players and create room for a pass/shot. A good mix of power and accuracy on his shots. His biggest knocks are strength (easily muscled off the ball) and his consistency - the latter may be cured through more consistent PT.

Avila was perfectly suited to the Vinny "The Microwave" role off the bench for our team - that is, a team with a coach that emphasizes high pressure and two-way play out of pretty much everyone except his #10. Unfortunately for Avila, we already have a pretty damn good #10 (MVP actually) so he either came on late when we needed offense or played as an occasional wide MF.

He never really played enough consistent defense to be in any other role than a supersub on offense for FCD. I think he could be very effective in the #10 role with the right defensive partnerships (and no Ferreira ahead of him). Frings may be a good match in this regard. Don't think I am speaking out of turn to say he is a fan favorite and will be missed. I, for one, wish him the best of luck as he brought a level of excitement every time he came on the field.
    is this guy the AM we're looking for?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More thoughts on Avila from a FC Dallas supporter...

I am a huge Avila fan, but the sad truth is that he isn't a good fit in the FCD system, mainly because we have a very crowded roster at midfield, and as fans know, Eric is a one-way player....he goes forward, he takes the space, and has really good skill on the ball. He can also thread a fine pass to a striker making a run. However, he gets out of position on the defensive side and he can lose possession in transition, which is why he comes off the bench for us instead of getting the sheer quantity of minutes that he truly deserves to be getting on another team.

I was hoping that the Atlas deal would go through because the style of play in Mexico would be great for him, but this is also a good outcome for Avila. Aron Winter wants to create a one-touch passing team at TFC--a situation that should afford Avi a chance to wear the #10, to create, and to score goals with that golden right foot of his.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    is this guy the AM we're looking for?
    I think he's the "substitute" AM we are looking for.

Unfortunately, long-term I think he finds himself in the same situation he did in Dallas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not so sure he'll be a sub (at least not now). Sounds like the kind of guy that can bring something no one else currently can. I could him being given a shot as our AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avila is precisely the type of player we need more of. He should start every game. Move jdg back to defender or bench him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blech, defender?
    No thanks, bench him or play him at regular position.
    Im sure itll alternate between JDG and Dunfield

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    blech, defender?
    No thanks, bench him or play him at regular position.
    Im sure itll alternate between JDG and Dunfield
    You mean the world class ex la liga superstar would have trouble playing a new position in mls? Yea, he would.