Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was extremely pleased with what i saw last night. I had to watch the game on replay because i had family commitments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG had over a 75% pass percentage last night, give the guy a break.

34 succesful passes
    10 unsuccesful passes
    according to match stats

I thought he actually played fairly well, let's face it the whole team was shit in the first half, putting the blame on one or two guys is a little ridiculous. He is better suited playing in a forward position like the last few games he's played.
    Last edited by habstfc; 07-31-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's better suited as a forward midfielder that can't put a ball on net from inside the area?

Sorry but I agree with everyone else, 75% pass rate or not...he was not very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good comeback from the boys. Plata still the best player on this team in my mind without him we have no sparks to our engine.

2 of our DPs were awesome and the other, well I think the other one just lost his starting job to Dunfield. Who came in and really made a difference in my mind. I actually don't care to see JDG on the field again, we have capable DMs who have the ability to go forward and also help defend. JDG is a liability going forward and he's just alright defending.

Marosevic looked promising. Good size and skill. Not sure he's the AM we need though. More and more I think we should play Plata as AM as we have enough guys who can play the wing decently.

Iro is starting to really scare me. I thought he'd be better then this. No doubt in my mind that was a penalty, I don't even think it was close. Plus he gets beat with speed fairly easily.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
    There are positives. We finally have a top class striker, Dunfield is the midfielder JDG should have been (made some good defensive challenges yesterday), and Plata is looking good (although hot and cold).
    I'd say Dunfield is 75% of what JDG should have been, at a shocking 3-1/2% of the price.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think portland sitting back and the addition of martina were bigger factors in the turn around than JDG leaving the pitch or dunfield coming in. I think you'll see the Frings, JDG, Dunfield trio from now on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'd say Dunfield is 75% of what JDG should have been, at a shocking 3-1/2% of the price.
    You're basing your opinion of dunfield on 25 minutes of his first game in a tfc uniform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    You're basing your opinion of dunfield on 25 minutes of his first game in a tfc uniform.
    good enough for me. He impressed me more in that 25 minutes then JDG has since he signed with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah because Dunfield was playing in the Qatar league before he came here with no visibility to TFC fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    He's better suited as a forward midfielder that can't put a ball on net from inside the area?
    He was the only guy that had a shot on net in the first half for tfc last night. I know the shot you're refering to, that superball bouncing ball on the turf that he sent over the net. Frings did the exact same thing against real esteli, where was the outrage then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    good enough for me. He impressed me more in that 25 minutes then JDG has since he signed with us.
    REALLY... HA HA HA now you're just being a dick, get real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was the only guy that had a shot on net in the first half for tfc last night. I know the shot you're refering to, that superball bouncing ball on the turf that he sent over the net. Frings did the exact same thing against real esteli, where was the outrage then?
    2 shots missed the net. 1 wide open shot right at the goalie. 2 through balls went past the goal line and missed their target. 1 cross hit the portland supporters. That's the guy you want play a more forward role? He was brutal and a liability last night playing in a more forward role. Absolutely no imagination going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    just looking over the stats.. some interesting ones:

23 crosses from TFC to 5 for Portland.
    56.3% possession for TFC.
    84% passing accuracy for TFC (77% for Portland).
    11 shots on target for Portland, 6 for TFC.

Nice!

Could this finally be the start of something good for this team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    More and more I think we should play Plata as AM as we have enough guys who can play the wing decently.
    You are 100% correct on this he should be playing AM role he has good speed can take guys on straight on and has decent distribution and can dribble good at close quarters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    That Koeverman goal made me run through the house and scream like a school girl. Nice to get that kind of feeling back.
    +1. It's nice to be up at 1pm watching footie and NOT feel like you've been kicked in the nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 shots missed the net. 1 wide open shot right at the goalie.
    C'MON dude that happens to every player.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have qualified it and started my phrase with "at first impression."
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

REALLY... HA HA HA now you're just being a dick, get real.
    Someones being a dick alright, and it isn't Alixir.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

34 succesful passes
    10 unsuccesful passes
    according to match stats
    I'd say giving away 1 out of 4 balls away is poor especially for a possession team. The team overall had 85%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like JDG, and I know he has a lot more to give. I think he will play his best football yet for TFC in the next several weeks alongside Frings and Dunfield.

I think you might be right, and I certainly hope so. If he and Dunfiled can start working well together it would be a great thing for our national team as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marosevic looked promising. Good size and skill. Not sure he's the AM we need though. More and more I think we should play Plata as AM as we have enough guys who can play the wing decently.

Iro is starting to really scare me. I thought he'd be better then this. No doubt in my mind that was a penalty, I don't even think it was close. Plus he gets beat with speed fairly easily.
    Iro needs a speedy partner to compliment him. I think if he starts to position him self better and use his experience to help anchor the back, he could be a decent CB for us. But until then...well...I don't know lol.

Plata as an AM...hmmm sounds tempting...but I really like him coming off of the wing. Marosevic looked really promising playing in the middle/attacking. I think it would be really interesting to see what he would look like playing on the wing and Plata playing in the AM position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'MON dude that happens to every player.
    It's somewhat expected of your average MLS lifer. It's not expected of your $1.7m designated player.

The guy doesn't have a single goal as a TFC player. Do you realize that? Not a single goal!

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

34 succesful passes
    10 unsuccesful passes
    according to match stats

I thought he actually played fairly well, let's face it the whole team was shit in the first half, putting the blame on one or two guys is a little ridiculous. He is better suited playing in a forward position like the last few games he's played.
    Yup, if this continues through the rest of the year he's going to put away some goals for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It's somewhat expected of your average MLS lifer. It's not expected of your $1.7m designated player.

- Scott
    Frings did the same thing wednesday night, how much does he make? That's sports things don't always go right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a while since I watched a road game and really enjoyed the quality of play and the outcome.

Let's do it again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about the jdg factor, but we saw two different clubs last night, one with him in the lineup, the other without. Most of the passes he made, that count toward that useless stat, were back passes, including several to the keeper. The poor quality of his passes were evident on the passes moving forward, where, in his usual style, gives the ball away on an errant pass up the middle. On occasion, one works, and that is good, but for the most part, the team played much better with the second half subs, and when that overpriced useless mutt left the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

The guy doesn't have a single goal as a TFC player. Do you realize that? Not a single goal!

- Scott
    Who is the joke on really, if we were expecting him to score for TFC?

years - club -appearances-goals
    2002–2005 Hannover 96 78 (2)
    2005–2009 Deportivo La Coruña 97 (1)
    2009– Toronto FC 41 (0)

He had a career run of *offensive* form when playing for Canada over a short period of time but he doesn't play like that regularly. Now that doesn't excuse his poor play in general, but if we were expecting him to score goals i think that's diluted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Who is the joke on really, if we were expecting him to score for TFC?

years - club -appearances-goals
    2002–2005 Hannover 96 78 (2)
    2005–2009 Deportivo La Coruña 97 (1)
    2009– Toronto FC 41 (0)

He had a career run of *offensive* form when playing for Canada over a short period of time but he doesn't play like that regularly. Now that doesn't excuse his poor play in general, but if we were expecting him to score goals i think that's diluted.
    The point is HABSTFC is suggesting he play in a more forward role. I think you are absolutely right, no one should expect him to score or create opportunities going forward, he's terrible at it. But anyway, I think most people who don't think he's doing a very good job judge his defensive abilties more then anything.

One thing is for sure though, when you find space to put the ball in the net and you consistently miss for 2+ years well then, you aren't very good going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point is HABSTFC is suggesting he play in a more forward role. I think you are absolutely right, no one should expect him to score or create opportunities going forward, he's terrible at it. But anyway, I think most people who don't think he's doing a very good job judge his defensive abilties more then anything.

One thing is for sure though, when you find space to put the ball in the net and you consistently miss for 2+ years well then, you aren't very good going forward.
    Not going to disagree with that. He was known in spain for shooting over the net. True to form last night...

I think partially, he's gotten lazy and let's face facts: he's damaged goods at this point. Seems to spend more time on the physio table than on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW - I'll make a friendly bet that both Dunfield and Frings score with TFC before JDG does. And JDG has 2+ years advantage.