Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think JDG should never shoot. He has no history of goals, and can't shoot worth a shit (that one shot on goal last night was like 1 in 100). So even if he's open, he should just fuckin pass the ball to somebody else. Cuz his field goals cost us opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'd say Dunfield is 75% of what JDG should have been, at a shocking 3-1/2% of the price.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but Dunfield was not cheap for the Whitecaps to get I'm pretty sure they front-loaded his contract like crazy to get him over here. Sort of like Ilya Kovalchuk's bazillion year contract

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dkolish3 View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but Dunfield was not cheap for the Whitecaps to get I'm pretty sure they front-loaded his contract like crazy to get him over here. Sort of like Ilya Kovalchuk's bazillion year contract

They gave him more last year. He's on a 65k contract right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    They gave him more last year. He's on a 65k contract right now.
    Does anyone know how much allocation we gave up for him to come here? All I'm saying is that he may look cheap but he probably wasn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Not sure about the jdg factor, but we saw two different clubs last night, one with him in the lineup, the other without. Most of the passes he made, that count toward that useless stat, were back passes, including several to the keeper. The poor quality of his passes were evident on the passes moving forward, where, in his usual style, gives the ball away on an errant pass up the middle. On occasion, one works, and that is good, but for the most part, the team played much better with the second half subs, and when that overpriced useless mutt left the game.
    So it all had to do with the fact that JDG came off and Dunfield came on and had nothing to do with the fact that the timbers were sitting back trying to bunker down (which, like tfc are nowhere near good enough defensively to do that) and that martina absolutely owned the right side of the pitch when he came on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dkolish3 View Post
    I think you are right. I remember reading on here that dunfield is on about double the money next year, I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    The point is HABSTFC is suggesting he play in a more forward role. I think you are absolutely right, no one should expect him to score or create opportunities going forward, he's terrible at it. But anyway, I think most people who don't think he's doing a very good job judge his defensive abilties more then anything.

One thing is for sure though, when you find space to put the ball in the net and you consistently miss for 2+ years well then, you aren't very good going forward.
    Exactly.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mad Respect to the timber army! Goosebumbs the whole game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never mind the tit-for-tat about JDG. It's not whether he's any good, the point is that he's not good enough for the money he's on.

Personally, I think he's lazy, ineffective, we're better off without him and he should be paying back his wage for the performances he turns in. But keep on defending him if you must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Never mind the tit-for-tat about JDG. It's not whether he's any good, the point is that he's not good enough for the money he's on.

Personally, I think he's lazy, ineffective, we're better off without him and he should be paying back his wage for the performances he turns in. But keep on defending him if you must.
    By that logic we are way better with him in the lineup. TFC lost 4 in a row after the vancouver win all of which JDG never played in. So how are we better off without him in the line-up?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    So it all had to do with the fact that JDG came off and Dunfield came on and had nothing to do with the fact that the timbers were sitting back trying to bunker down (which, like tfc are nowhere near good enough defensively to do that) and that martina absolutely owned the right side of the pitch when he came on?
    Right. I agree fully. When strategy and desperation dictated the need for change, the manager did the right thing, and put jdg to pasture.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By that logic we are way better with him in the lineup. TFC lost 4 in a row after the vancouver win all of which JDG never played in. So how are we better off without him in the line-up?
    Would any other mls side trade their starting holding midfielder straight up for jdg if the salary was not an issue? He is simply not good enough to play for most clubs in this league (how he made it in la liga remains a huge mystery for me)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would any other mls side trade their starting holding midfielder straight up for jdg if the salary was not an issue? He is simply not good enough to play for most clubs in this league (how he made it in la liga remains a huge mystery for me)
    Actually if you watch the game TFC started taking over the run of play before the JDG sub.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a JDG supporter for a long time. But when you get the ball in the penalty area, directly in front of the goal, with lots of time to settle, you have to be able to put the shot on frame. Maybe you will at least get an occasional rebound or corner out of it or something. That counts for anyone who plays in a U12 rep team & better, any position (defense, MF, or offence). Man, goalies have a better track record of scoring goals against us from that area, than JDG has for us. He generally seems to have a huge problem hitting the ball accurately, regardless if it's a pass or a shot. I don't know if it's nerves with JDG, or injury, or something else. I would bet that if Frings had golden opportunities like that, he would at least have made the Portland keeper do some work. The long range shot that Frings put over the net recently was from farther away, with more people between him & the net, so it was a more difficult shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm starting to get off the JDG 'will be successful' bandwagon, and i know he's rusty as crap. But with what we are paying Dunfield, and the passion/determination he shows, if i was a CM i'd rather have him beside than JDG any day of the week. Dunfield is a true competitor, like our other DPs....Johnson is another one. Boys who simple don't give up, because they aren't afraid.

LOVING the new TFC...too bad i'm moving to Vancouver in August...waaaa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    i'm starting to get off the JDG 'will be successful' bandwagon, and i know he's rusty as crap. But with what we are paying Dunfield, and the passion/determination he shows, if i was a CM i'd rather have him beside than JDG any day of the week. Dunfield is a true competitor, like our other DPs....Johnson is another one. Boys who simple don't give up, because they aren't afraid.

LOVING the new TFC...too bad i'm moving to Vancouver in August...waaaa
    Vancouver is a great city. You'll know what it's like for me to be a habs fan in enemy territory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I was really happy for the TFC away fans that made the trip. What a game to attend! The atmosphere and then the comeback? Now that's a memorable game.
    Big huge props to the Timbers army who treated us royally and thanked us for coming. We heard grief from one fan stating the he hoped that Portland would win, turns out he was a Vancouver fan. Loved the electric atmosphere from the TA section, their Tetris move was simply amazing.

Interesting, you could see the Timbers fans almost slump when Toronto scored their first goal.

Really great to meet some of the TFC away fans. On the six minute game preview you can see the huge TFC flag in the very first scene a little pocket of red in the field of green.
    Last edited by TFCwestcan; 07-31-2011 at 08:15 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He actually was very good in Spain, and decent on the CMNT. The biggest mystery is why he usually is crap for TFC (he has the occasional good game, like against Esteli). I used to think it was Preki's fault, JDG isn't made for the bunker for 90 minutes game. Then I thought it was team-mates who didn't know the passing game. Now I think something else must be wrong, something that no coach can fix. Maybe he's playing in pain and can't concentrate. Maybe he's checked out and is just collecting a paycheque. Maybe he's missing his family in Spain. Whatever it is, it's not working and he needs to go.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCwestcan View Post
    Big huge props to the Timbers army who treated us royally and thanked us for coming. We heard grief from one fan stating the he hoped that Portland would win, turns out he was a Vancouver fan. Loved the electric atmosphere from the TA section, their Tetris move was simply amazing.

Interesting, you could see the Timbers fans almost slump when Toronto scored their first goal.

Really great to meet some of the TFC away fans. On the six minute game preview you can see the huge TFC flag in the very first scene a little pocket of red in the field of green.

I had the priviledge of going to Portland about 5 weeks ago, and man...what a fantastic city. Jeld-Win (PGE) Park would be the crown jewel of MLS stadiums if it had grass, it's absolutely beautiful.

I would encourage any TFC fan to make the trip to Portland, the prices are great, the people are super friendly and you can walk the city very simply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the game in 6.....

How shit is Iro? I swear it's like he is always 5 seconds behind the play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    Really?

Torsten Frings, Danny Koevermans, Stefan Frei, Terry Dunfield, Joao Plata etc. are all SUB MLS QUALITY?
    Ty Harden, JDG, Andy Iro, Yourassowsky, Borman, etc. are?

I didn't say this entire team was sub-MLS quality. Every time we eek out a draw on the road (we still haven't won an MLS road game this year) we do a complete 180 from "WORST TEAM EVER!" to "this new side is going to be SICK NASTY in 8-10 games".

I'm excited for Koevermans, Frings, and so on but the shit outweighs the good by a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does that work? If I was to employ that line of thinking, I could say that I wore blue socks on Thursday instead of black, and it rained that day, which the garden needs, so I should wear blue socks every day.

Saying JDG makes us a better side because he played 60 minutes in a draw on the road... if you can even call that reasoning, then it's specious at best.

Sorry, JDG has had two years to show his quality, to take up a leadership position on this team. To-date, he simply has not done either.

So how are we better off with him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG is never worth a DP slot, not even close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    Watched the game in 6.....

How shit is Iro? I swear it's like he is always 5 seconds behind the play.

I didn't say this entire team was sub-MLS quality. Every time we eek out a draw on the road (we still haven't won an MLS road game this year) we do a complete 180 from "WORST TEAM EVER!" to "this new side is going to be SICK NASTY in 8-10 games".

I'm excited for Koevermans, Frings, and so on but the shit outweighs the good by a lot.
    Out of curiosity...did you watch more than the game in six?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland:

-Great fan support in their first MLS year
    -Coach with an English accent, with a direct 4-4-2 hoof and run game
    -Giving up goals late in the game
    -New stadium

^Kind of sounds familiar.

I know Toronto hasn't really achieved anything, but I don't feel like the last 5 years have gone to waste for us, at all. I feel like, as an organization, TFC IS a few years ahead of the Portlands and Vancouvers of the league.

In comparison to these teams, Toronto has a lot to look forward to next season and for once we seem to have a clear direction of what is going to happen. Usually, at this point our team would be falling apart. But I feel like the opposite is happening, a winning team is forming.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but that is just what I see around the league and where TFC stands.
    Last edited by nickio; 07-31-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    How does that work? If I was to employ that line of thinking, I could say that I wore blue socks on Thursday instead of black, and it rained that day, which the garden needs, so I should wear blue socks every day.

Saying JDG makes us a better side because he played 60 minutes in a draw on the road... if you can even call that reasoning, then it's specious at best.

Sorry, JDG has had two years to show his quality, to take up a leadership position on this team. To-date, he simply has not done either.

So how are we better off with him?
    HUH?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Out of curiosity...did you watch more than the game in six?
    I watched the game in 80. I missed the start of the 2nd half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"By a lot" my fuckin ass.

Koevermans, Plata, Johnson, Frings, Dunfield, Eckersley, Frei are not shit.

That's 7 starting players who are damn good enough for MLS.

Martina, Soolsma, Cann, Williams, Santos...all are good enough for MLS in the roles they play.

Or you have guys like Morgan, Omphroy, Henry who are just kids with potential, so labeling them shit simply isn't fair.

Or you have guys like Lindsay, Bouchiba, Griffit, Marosevic...who are either hurt or having been here long enough to even grade.

TLDR version: blow your shit out your ass cause it's annoying when you spew it from your fingers.

How many MLS rosters don't have 5-10 shit players on it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shit only outweighs the good BY A LOT, in the context of our unrest over several previous years of shit.

I think our offense is probably going to be okay, and our defense still needs work (and a couple of good signings). We've finally got a striker who can at least force the keeper to make a save, a couple of bonafide midfielders, and actual options on the wings (for the first time in years).

There's no doubt our defense is still rubbish - Harden, Borman, and Yourass don't impress me at all (though I think Yourass is a bit better at LB). Iro I'm still not sure about - defending is a group activity, and when you're out of sync with those around you, it's easy to look shit. Even more so when you're trying to trap.

There are still more problems than solutions (this is all you can say, until our record starts to prove otherwise), but some issues are being sorted.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is our defense so shit