Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Post game: TFC @ Portland

What a little confidence does for a team...

Good on TFC from drawing after going down 2-0 away from BMO Field. (even if it's against one of the worst teams in MLS)

But a little consistency will go a long way. Hopefully the lads will build on this to get the result on Tues vs Real Esteli, which they should.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new kid comes in and scores his first MLS goal on his first MLS debut. Kouverman i don't know how he does it, he's such a stiff but still scores. That first goal really boosted our offense and confidence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good come back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all the recent acquisitions this team is really coming together. I think it will be a very good last 10 games.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we almost won this thing near the end but we stole a point on the road..... things look good heading into the 2nd leg vs RE
    06-18-09 i was there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i gotta say Dunfield made such a great first impression. Solid guy, knows where to pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a comeback! This team has shown once again that it has a lot of heart and pride. I am loving this new TFC team. Now only if we can win our league games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    i gotta say Dunfield made such a great first impression. Solid guy, knows where to pass.
    Makes you think what the hell were Vancouver thinking of trading him away.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new kid comes in and scores his first MLS goal on his first MLS debut. Kouverman i don't know how he does it, he's such a stiff but still scores. That first goal really boosted our offense and confidence
    like, Koevermans misses the easier chances but puts away the harder ones...

wait until he's completely match fit? though he's got like 4 full games under his belt so he should be pretty close, no?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't usually go crazy over a player because of one or two games but hopefully Morgan sees regular minutes at FB

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Byebye Julian.

Game really changed when he left and Dunfield and Marosevic came in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And JDG continues to fail to impress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    What a comeback! This team has shown once again that it has a lot of heart and pride. I am loving this new TFC team. Now only if we can sort out our 2 CB and LB positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDG has to go and we need to not get ahead of ourselves. This is still a very bad team with sub-MLS quality players.

But I'll take the draw and not the usual limpdick surrendering.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    But I'll take the draw and not the usual limpdick surrendering.
    +1

the lads fought back for the point, instead of usual surrendering. maybe they finally grew a spine?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Byebye Julian.

Game really changed when he left and Dunfield and Marosevic came in.
    I called it at the '61.

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

TFC Highlight of the night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A huge confidence building performance tonight in one of the most initimidating grounds in MLS. I don't think TFC has taken control of a match on the road all season like they did in the second half tonight.

Plata and Eckersley were fantastic yet again, and Marosevic and Dunfield were very solid in their debuts.

I have a good feeling about this group. It will only get better as they get more comfortable with each other.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-31-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forza_tfc View Post
    And JDG continues to fail to impress.
    Today's the day that I fully committed to the "hate-JDG bandwagon"

The difference between JDG and Dunfield is partially giveaways (I counted 10 for JDG in the first half, didn't bother counting in the second half, although admittedly he did much better in the second half), but also effort. Dunfield might not have the skill and touch JDG does, but he is far superior in the heart and work effort categories - like a Gargan with more skill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please tell me the 4-3-3 is dead. We looked dangerous as hell with the 3-4-3 / 3-1-3-3

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VERY happy with the result & the fight-back.

We have to remember the horrid display for good parts of the game though, especially the first half. Portland was passing much better, quicker, more incisively than Toronto. TFC mostly watching the ball, both on offence & defense.

Sorry, I thought Morgan was mostly awful, although no worse than other people we've had at LB. Midfield & offence can definitely play better IMO after all the mid-season trades, but the defense hasn't improved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While they still haven't put together a full 90 minute performance of the kind we would like, I think as the game progressed you could definitely see improvement... and you could definitely see Winter's style coming together with (most) of the right individuals on the field. CB is still a major problem, and JDG was as rusty as an old doornail, but generally I was quite happy with the performance.

It was a clash of styles I thought. Portland started off the first 20 minutes by passing back and forth between defenders until they saw an opening and then they went with longballs (half of which went out of bounds). Meanwhile, TFC had trouble even getting possession. In the middle part of the match, TFC picked up and gained more possession and started to complete a number of passes. Still, space opened up and Portland would run like chickens with heads cut off downfield or shoot the longball. But TFC kept trying to play its game and eventually I thought Portland looked run down and ragged in the latter portion of the game, while TFC looked fresh and creative.

Yeah, Portland's a bad team... but we don't have a better record and this was played after 2 days rest and all the travel that comes with it, on the road, which is a graveyard for TFC.

Portland fans were calling this a "must win" game against a crappy team, they said. Coulda been a win for TFC if that BLATANT handball wasn't called. Oh well. A tie is fair overall.

Good result. And Plata is awesome
    Last edited by rocker; 07-31-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dkolish3 View Post
    I don't usually go crazy over a player because of one or two games but hopefully Morgan sees regular minutes at FB
    Honestly, what did you see out of Morgan that impressed you? He got beat regularly and other than a few crosses, wasn't terribly impressive. He was pretty good up the pitch, but that's not his primary job. His defending was atrocious, the only reason people aren't calling him out on it is because everyone realizes hes a kid and he's going to make mistakes.

I would rather have Nick Garcia as our LB than Morgan.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Please tell me the 4-3-3 is dead. We looked dangerous as hell with the 3-4-3 / 3-1-3-3
    Portland isn't very good though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with TFC is we always seem to give up a goal in the early first half of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Portland isn't very good though.
    Very true, but against good and bad clubs we've been equally bad. If we can fight back from 2-0 down on the road with the 3-4-3 (admittedly to a poor team), why shouldn't we try it against the league's upper echelon?

It's not like we've been stellar defensively, we have the league's highest goals against and worst goal differential and our keeper has the league's most saves and shots against.

Playing the 3-4-3 is like putting Marvel Wynne at CB in Colorado - its so crazy it just might work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a lot more entertained than I was last year... I know we suck... but we suck with excitement!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, what did you see out of Morgan that impressed you? He got beat regularly and other than a few crosses, wasn't terribly impressive. He was pretty good up the pitch, but that's not his primary job. His defending was atrocious, the only reason people aren't calling him out on it is because everyone realizes hes a kid and he's going to make mistakes.

I would rather have Nick Garcia as our LB than Morgan.
    i have to agree with ya about morgan game today..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so a lot of people was pumped when we picked up Iro so when are we going to see something good out of him.. i really wanna but i just don't see anything good..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    so a lot of people was pumped when we picked up Iro so when are we going to see something good out of him.. i really wanna but i just don't see anything good..
    he's tall and wins the occasional possession with his height

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just looking over the stats.. some interesting ones:

23 crosses from TFC to 5 for Portland.
    56.3% possession for TFC.
    84% passing accuracy for TFC (77% for Portland).
    11 shots on target for Portland, 6 for TFC.