Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Players not giving fans aprreciation?

this probably has been mentioned a few times over the years. But after yesterdays game with under 9,500 fans at BMO the supporters still put on a pretty good atmosphere, lots of flags and chanting through out the entire game. Huge majority of the fans were in the south end or near the south end corners like 111,110,109 leaving the rest of the stadium almost completely empty.

Yet why do the players still not even come passed half way to greet the fans in the south end after a win? they waved from about half field and quickly ran back to there dressing rooms. It seems to happen year after year and makes me wonder why do the players rarely come to give the fans a clap, could they not at least walk around the whole field after every game and give everybody a clap for showing up game in and game out after 5 years of shit play? I see in many other leagues players always come celebrate with fans after games, even some MLS teams do it now to, such as Portland Timbers.

My question do players not care? does MLSE tell them not to celebrate with the fans? whats the deal?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember hearing something about the FO giving players flack at one point because they wanted everyone in the back ASAP so they could give statements and interviews. dont quote me on that though.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion on this was it was only the first leg. They still have one more game to go; there's still work to be done.

That, combined with a late away goal by Esteli is my justification for them. Had this been the second leg, and we advanced, I'm sure the team would have been in the corner celebrating with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They aren't show ponies, why the hell should they have to walk the entire stadium to thank the fans? Isn't busting their balls on the field their thanks to the paying/supporting fans?

Coming over after big wins or regular season wins to thank the supporters section should be MORE than enough.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

This isn't hockey, baseball, or basketball. This is fucking football .... and there is an understanding that you should AT LEAST acknowledge your diehard supporters. At least, this is what I believe in.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find they always acknowledge the supporters in both corners after each game. Winter makes sure that he and the players walk towards and applaud the supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It used to be a lot worse in past seasons, since Winter took over, its gotten better. I was really impressed with Johnson after the last league match. Far cry from teams in Europe, but we also haven't had much to celebrate.

Last night was really only half-time of a 180 min match, doesnt bother me much.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love how ppl have something to complain about ... even when we actually win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    love how ppl have something to complain about ... even when we actually win
    well thats just it, we dont win much, so youd think players would celebrate a little bit, give fans a clap and something to be happy about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    ^^

This isn't hockey, baseball, or basketball. This is fucking football .... and there is an understanding that you should AT LEAST acknowledge your diehard supporters. At least, this is what I believe in.
    So you agree with me that they don't need to walk the entire stadium but can come over after league wins and important wins?

Ease up on the anger, this isn't hockey, baseball, or football. It's a fucking message board.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

HA HA HA! No anger .... none, whatsoever!
    ¡Vamos Celta!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't expect the players to be running over to the supporters after every game or even every win. Simple clap in the direction of the fans/supporters acknowledging their support is enough. And that should be when we've done our job as well.

Save the major acknowledgments for big moments. (cup wins, final season game, etc.) Otherwise it just gets old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we can thank the departed michelle for the way this stuff plays out.

Bitch

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    well thats just it, we dont win much, so youd think players would celebrate a little bit, give fans a clap and something to be happy about.
    Like when Gargan brought the NCC Trophy over and stood in the capo stand in front of 113?

Time and place.

Maybe sometimes too, they get a little tired of their own fans booing them and don't necessarily feel the need to come over a shake some hands.

That said, if I'm Frings and I figured out who called me a Nazi in 112, I might just want to come over.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't have to walk the entire stadium, but the players should be making an effort to come towards the most vocal sections of the stadium to show appreciation of the support they receive.

I wasn't too bothered by yesterday though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    this probably has been mentioned a few times over the years. But after yesterdays game with under 9,500 fans at BMO the supporters still put on a pretty good atmosphere, lots of flags and chanting through out the entire game. Huge majority of the fans were in the south end or near the south end corners like 111,110,109 leaving the rest of the stadium almost completely empty.

Yet why do the players still not even come passed half way to greet the fans in the south end after a win? they waved from about half field and quickly ran back to there dressing rooms. It seems to happen year after year and makes me wonder why do the players rarely come to give the fans a clap, could they not at least walk around the whole field after every game and give everybody a clap for showing up game in and game out after 5 years of shit play? I see in many other leagues players always come celebrate with fans after games, even some MLS teams do it now to, such as Portland Timbers.

My question do players not care? does MLSE tell them not to celebrate with the fans? whats the deal?
    I can tell you about discussions that I've had with players, usually post game, and the comments I've overheard at the same time.

Most of the time after games, especally when they think they've let the fans down, or when they think they've let themselves down, they are hesitant to come over. Not for fear or anything like that - they genuinely feel that they've let people down. I've mentioned a few times that it is important to come over, even when they may be down or angry themselves, just because it means so much to supporters. But not everyone hears the message - you generally only see a few players at a time.

When we win or play well, it is a different story and usually shows with players coming right over.

This is where the coaches have come in. Winter came close to dragging players into the corner a few times, and the show of appreciation after the VCup win was amazing.

Personally, I'll cut the players some slack on this. It isn't meant to show disrespect at all if they don't come all the way over. They have been better this year than in years past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings came over the furthest last game, and he made sure to do it very very visibly. I too, was surprised that they kinda stood around the half line.

But in the end, it's a nice thing to do- and that's all it is. I don't expect it, I come to see the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    They aren't show ponies, why the hell should they have to walk the entire stadium to thank the fans? Isn't busting their balls on the field their thanks to the paying/supporting fans?

Coming over after big wins or regular season wins to thank the supporters section should be MORE than enough.
    Yes they are. All pro athletes are.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is something I would give Winter credit for. A few times I have noticed that he's made it a point to acknowledge the fans, either at the stadium or in the media. And to make sure his players do too.

I have no problems with the things are going. Supporters are acknowledged at key moments. Not every game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked Frei to lend me $50, and the bum only had $20 on him. Some fan appreciation.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post

QFT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I asked Frei to lend me $50, and the bum only had $20 on him. Some fan appreciation.

- Scott
    He really had a $50, but only gave you a $20..

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    This is something I would give Winter credit for. A few times I have noticed that he's made it a point to acknowledge the fans, either at the stadium or in the media. And to make sure his players do too.

I have no problems with the things are going. Supporters are acknowledged at key moments. Not every game.
    Yup. No complaints here.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

what roogs said
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone pointed out, it was the first half of 180 minutes.

Winter has made it point to acknowlege the 12th man and it is visible. At points in the past it was much worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe the negativity around Wednesday night. Was I at a different game? Did we not win and execute the type of football Winter has been asking for all season? A better result would have been nice, sure, but I don't need to be "thanked" by anyone for showing up and supporting my team. I'm glad they were disappointed at the final score enough to trudge off, it shows some of them seem to finally be getting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a ridiculous thread. please close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    Well said. Fortunately, the majority of people responding in here aren't upset that the players don't edify them game in, game out.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    the lack of actual football talk is getting a wee bit ridiculuos.
    apart from the post match threads of course.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    the lack of actual football talk is getting a wee bit ridiculuos.
    apart from the post match threads of course.
    I was thinking the same thing, then clicked on the last post match thread and see that the topic is now ticket prices??

Someone start a new message board that only allows Toronto football discussion.