Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Garber considering starting the league in Feb...

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/...ing-the-league

So TFC gets to start with a 10 game road trip every year?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's an idea. STOP THE POINTLESS FRIENDLIES!

God I hate them. I was watching the CCL game at a bar in Livonia tonight with some of our guys and some of the Motor City Supporters. Man those Americans eat this All-Star bullshit up. They love it. So I doubt they will be ending it any time soon, which is unfortunate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accomodate the all-star game and friendlies? How about acting like a proper league and accomodating the FIFA calender...
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about abandoning piece of shit friendlies where you embarrass your league and your supporters?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't waist your breath. I understand your frustration as a fellow TFC supporter but there are too many valid business reasons to have fiendlies, all-star and similar matches. They are never going away. The best we can hope for is that local markets choose to limit the number of friendlies during the season. Like MLSE did.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see what the big deal is with the whole FIFA calendar thing.

Russia, Norway and a bunch of other countries play the same time we do - for the same reason we do. Snow/cold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

move the calender to Feb, just to accomodate a pointless all star match? he priorities are out of wack...does the league really need an all star game?

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What mls should really do is try to cut down on player travel. You have guys in england d that don't go further than a 3 hour drive, whereas our guys are pulling 5 hour flights.

Maybe they should truly split te east and west into totally separate divisions. Would also make the playoffs more interesting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe if they got more teams id agree but right now, itd be boring playing the same 8 teams all season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    What mls should really do is try to cut down on player travel. You have guys in england d that don't go further than a 3 hour drive, whereas our guys are pulling 5 hour flights.

Maybe they should truly split te east and west into totally separate divisions. Would also make the playoffs more interesting.
    Cant see that happening..

But the shedule should be set up a little better thats for sure..

If a team is head west...they should play no less then two games on its trip....weds and sat fixtures...example...if you play LA (WEDS) then you play Chivas(SAT)... 4 day trip

If you play if you play Vancouver (sat) Seattle (Weds) Portland (sat) week trip..

this set up cuts back on travel.and keeps the lads alot fresher i would think...

you could get get the west games out of the way alot quicker...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is inevitable, there are more and more teams coming. Garber has stated 22 teams by 2020 and likely 24 soon after that. I for one think a balanced home and away schedule is the only legitmate league scheduling method so there needs to be more room to accomodate that.

I don't like friendlies but I like that MLS makes a ton of money of them so I would suggest a "friendly" week. They could blow it up like the all-star game and advertise all these big teams coming in. The only problem with that is it doesn't make much sense for teams like Man U to come over because they make their money touring and having a lot of games. Perhaps the answer is the friendly week and then SUM organizing other teams touring to play them like the current WFC sans MLS sides.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think starting the league the first weekend of March and ending the last weekend in November is the most feasible. Anything longer than that and you are pushing it.

As for the scheduling, I'm sure that if this league ever gets to over 20 teams it will move to an unbalanced schedule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of the problem with accommodating friendlies in advance is that the Euro clubs don't have their pre-season schedules down before the MLS schedule comes out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    How about abandoning piece of shit friendlies where you embarrass your league and your supporters?
    $$$$$ is all they care about.

For the All-star game, they full well know they are going to get pummeled when they book a team like United as the opposition. If it was about promoting the league, they would not be bringing in a side that like which will further enforce the euro-elitism attitudes that need to be eroded for this league to grow.

Also, on February - wonder how Garber feels about his NY team (and maybe teams) playing to an empty stadium. NY isn't that nice in Feb.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Accomodate the all-star game and friendlies? How about acting like a proper league and accomodating the FIFA calender...
    In a gate driven league with weekend matches, I'm sure going up directly against the NFL (NBA and NHL) would work out well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you read the original article, the interesting undertone to it is that Garber is suggesting that the reason that they lost to Man United was due to "schedule congestion" and having Montero or Shea would have altered the results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If you read the original article, the interesting undertone to it is that Garber is suggesting that the reason that they lost to Man United was due to "schedule congestion" and having Montero or Shea would have altered the results.

Of course he is going to try and spin it - that's his job. He's never going to come out and say the truth - we were schooled by a team far superior to us in every way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Football is a summer game. I understand the problem in Spain and Italy, but they play in August there too. I wonder why England and Germany ever started playing on the FIFA calendar in the first place.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely push the calendar....

....for international dates and tournaments you idiot Garber.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Football is a summer game. I understand the problem in Spain and Italy, but they play in August there too. I wonder why England and Germany ever started playing on the FIFA calendar in the first place.
    In England it was due to avoiding going head-to-head against cricket, which is the traditional summer sport.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've said it before and im currently writing an article for the bleacher report about it (titled: "why the following things won't work in the MLS").

if we do move to an english schedule, the league will fail. mark my words. there's a time to consider it, and that time isn't in the next decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yeah, let's get serious there. The way MLS is currently laid out we basically have to worry about MLB and that's it. Good luck going head-to-head with the NFL, NBA, and NHL.

BTW, money or not I think all these friendlies serve to do is remind people that MLS isn't as good as these foreign leagues. If I were Garber I'd stop peddling them so much and degrading my own product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The FIFA calendar does not work in our climate. how on earth is montreal supposed to play in -10 weather? ridiculous.

March to November works bests. And i agree, the schedule needs more structure, and its' really ridiculous how some teams have 2-3 games in hand some weeks. This has to be improved upon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

February at BMO = a whole new meaning to home pitch advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least he didn't mention considering a relegation format. In our current state, that would be disaster!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When people say they want MLS to go to the fifa calendar they don't mean playing over the winter. They are talking about not playing on the dates fifa has set aside in the calendar for international events. MLS could still run a summer schedule and adhere to the fifa calendar. It would just mean not playing matches around fifa international dates.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    When people say they want MLS to go to the fifa calendar they don't mean playing over the winter. They are talking about not playing on the dates fifa has set aside in the calendar for international events. MLS could still run a summer schedule and adhere to the fifa calendar. It would just mean not playing matches around fifa international dates.
    Damn. Totally missed that was happening here.

Yeah the fifa calendar is breaks throughout the year

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/calendar/events.html

A fall to spring schedule is far away from being seriously considered now that the US won't be hosting the next 3 WC's.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

February games = roof

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    February games = dome
    FYP
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/...ing-the-league

So TFC gets to start with a 10 game road trip every year?
    Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal would all play in cavernous stadiums until the weather improves

MTL vs. TFC in Rogers Centre ... YES PLEASE!
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018