Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was great win and also that Ryan Johnson, Eddy Viator and Andy Iro all took time to sign my TFC photos after the game. I now have 100 of 103 players who have played at least one minute for the Reds in all competitions.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    There are about 5 frequent posters (including at least one mod) who now seem to go after any criticism, as some sort of evidence of the inherently miserable nature of the personality of the poster.

These personal attacks are out of line. The level of criticism is higher because the team has been so terrible.
    I am responding to a general flavour of the posts that have dotted the pages prior to this one not any one in particular.

There is good and bad with the win. I highlighted the pending travel as a possible negative that will be hard to overcome. Others have looked at the 2-1 outcome.

That said, I do think that the comments with the words "shit" describing the performance are over the top and like newspapers, appear to be biased towards the negative.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I don't know if you consider me to be one of those 5 posters, but just in case you do feel that way, I have never shown any disrespect to you or anyone else I happen to disagree with on occasion by way of personal attacks.

In fairness, there are also a few posters who seem to go out of their way to discredit neutral or positive opinions presented by others.

As for the level of criticism being higher because of the team's abysmal record this season, I absolutely agree. It just seems that a segment of the board has become so jaded by the dysfunctional history of the franchise that they can't acknowledge a few positive signs as of late amidst the turmoil that we have been subjected to for the last 4 1/2 years.
    Not you. But it's really coming on lately.

To your last point, truth to that. Eg those were beautiful goals by Plata. That free kick would have gone in against Man Untied.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not you. But it's really coming on lately.

To your last point, truth to that. Eg those were beautiful goals by Plata. That free kick would have gone in against Man Untied.
    You see?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    You see?
    Touche.

How's Iro looking to you, Pigfynn?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    It was great win and also that Ryan Johnson, Eddy Viator and Andy Iro all took time to sign my TFC photos after the game. I now have 100 of 103 players who have played at least one minute for the Reds in all competitions.
    Holy crap, that's impressive. Who are you missing?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Holy crap, that's impressive. Who are you missing?
    I guess Diaz Kambare, that scout we signed for one game and Rick Titus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Touche.

How's Iro looking to you, Pigfynn?
    He's looking slow and pretty unsure when pressured. We NEED a CB to play along side of him that is much better with the ball. I do think he will be ok though and his size and positioning are assets.

Just not as any kind of answer on his own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    That's the point...our defenders did not.

Good defenders won't take the chance.

By the time they reach this level, every single player will have seen bizarre goals, freak plays, and stupid mistakes.

A good player will ask themselves if there was anything they could do differently to change that outcome, and the answer will, almost always, have been "yes".

Goalkeeping mistakes happen at every level (England vs USA!USA! at the last world cup, anyone?).

There is a reason why Kocic is a backup...he's not good enough to start.
    My take on it was that Ecks had the situation under control. He left the ball though instead of clearing it which implies that Kocic called him off. I don't see Ecks dallying on the ball in that situation for any other reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Since we're all armchair tacticians, how do you approach the next game?
    I'd play a counter attacking 4-5-1. As you (I think mentioned) they need to open up and attack us. I'd pack the midfield to overcome our shoddy defense and look to hit them on the break. We would look to score a goal or two doing this though.

Unfortunately, we only have one tactic these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    For those of us that aren't new to Concacaf, no matter how much better we played yesterday, you can never feel safe going to central america with anything short of a multiple-goal lead.
    This x100.

This is a tougher task than some make it out to be. To add my own concerns to this the very big one I quoted:

• we are poor defensively
    • we have new players still learning to play together - chemistry in the back takes time
    • we are bad on the road
    • we have a history on not getting results on the road to in the CCL against teams we should comfortably beat
    • We have a long trip to get there and that takes a big toll
    • we only have two days rest between the Portland game and this one

That's not being negative or a downer. This is being realistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Who are you missing?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Real Esteli Match

Couldn't make it down last night, first game missed in I can't remember.

Thought TFC showed a lot of improvement last night even though the competion wasn't the greatest.

Real proud of my fellow RPB for the support everyone showed.

Weird being on the other end watching everybody instead of being in the thick of things. Could hear everyone singing the whole game very clear on my Laptop, and was singing along a home.

We will beat these guys at home next week...

And to close all I have to sing is Ole Ole Ole Ole...Plata Plata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Plata's first goal was a gift, too, relied on just as much a "lucky bounce" as theirs was.

But the real issue is that they were able to come up here and play the game they wanted to.

The best thing about last night was how pissed off Winter looked.
    The best thing about last night is that we won the game. About Plata's goal. I wouldn't characterize it as a gift, but at the end of the day, I'll take it however we get it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    He's looking slow and pretty unsure when pressured. We NEED a CB to play along side of him that is much better with the ball. I do think he will be ok though and his size and positioning are assets.

Just not as any kind of answer on his own.

That is true. I hope he'll be OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If (when?) JDG is released at the end of this season, I'd be okay with seeing them split that cap room on a couple of above-average CB's. Or maybe even go the route of one stud CB.

Can't help but wonder if having a proven name back there would have the added benefit of calming the defenders around him, and giving them more on-field direction from someone that knows what they are doing.

Splitting that money on a couple of defenders would probably give us a clear upgrade over the guys we've got now, and give us good depth.

Of course, I have no idea who those signings would be. I suppose that's the hard part, haha.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know of anyone making the trip down for the game on Tuesday?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've refrained from commenting because I don't volunteer opinions on games unless I see them myself, win or lose. This game I missed so I only caught the game in 6 minutes but I thought the team looked pretty good from what TFC showed. I dunno. I can't tell. But the 2nd goal from Platita was gorgeous.

Unfortunately, that away goal for "El Tren del Norte" is worrisome.

Remember, this is exactly the same position Vancouver found themselves in coming into BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to see a winning result was good and also flags are good for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Remember, this is exactly the same position Vancouver found themselves in coming into BMO Field.
    If you are referring to the NCC, Vancouver came into Toronto with a 1-1 draw at home. Toronto will be going into Nicaragua with a 2-1 victory at home.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoot you're right. I think the away goal mixed me up for a moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I guess Diaz Kambare, that scout we signed for one game and Rick Titus.
    If your looking for Rick Titus's autograph he still plays for the York Region Shooters of the CSL. Also coaches youth soccer at North Mississauga Soccer Club.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Shoot you're right. I think the away goal mixed me up for a moment.
    And Vancouver went up 1-0 in Toronto forcing TFC to score 2 in the 2nd half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on you REDS !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thoroughly enjoyed this game (except for the goal against!). I mean, I felt like TFC finally put into practice what Winter has been preaching. We saw the style that could be possible. Now, Real Esteli was very bad, but with a bit better luck on some headers, it coulda been a blowout (and we all know the final scorelines of games don't always reflect the run of play).

The goal against complicates things, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. The goal against provides a nice challenge for this team, particularly for the young players. It means they can't relax and end up have a Montreal-Impact-Santos-Laguna type meltdown surprise. If they pass the test, they'll only come out stronger.

Some random reflections:
    1) the two CBs for Real Esteli look just a little bit taller than Plata! TFC had a massive size advantage at many positions. Even their tallest guy, the forward, was slightly shorter than Henry.
    2) That Real Esteli free kick that went to the corner was hilarious... had a good laugh at that.
    3) I was never worried RE would score... their offense was enemic. They only scored because of a pure fluke.
    4) Their keeper tries to make simple saves look difficult. LOL.
    5) Morgan's crosses were perhaps the best I've seen from our LBs this year
    6) Can't say enough about Plata. He's the steal of the 2011 draft -- better performance already than all the third round guys above him and most of the second round guys drafted... i would say he's performed close to the first round picks.
    7) Frings bossed the midfield in a way that I had hoped JDG would when we first got him -- his vision was fantastic
    8) Soolsma didn't look slow because surprisingly, the RE players were pretty slow too.
    Last edited by rocker; 07-28-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the attendance issue, Anselmi was on the FAN 590 yesterday to defend MLSE's petty lawsuit over the naming of Maple Leaf Gardens.

When asked about the low attendance, he blame the short sell time due to the NCC final being moved.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I wish sometimes that they would let us guest host. How about last year's 10,000 and this year's 9,000 being something of a trend for CCL? And the tickets sold but unused for regular MLS matches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Sorry, this is BS. Defenders don't and shouldn't be expected to run and back up the keeper on every routine ball. Huge waste of energy. This is one is fully on Kocic.
    ^ No. But they should stay vigilant untill they see that the ball is in fact safe.

But again I do not think that they are to blame for the fuck up an goal, but the defenders shuold be aware of what is happening with the ball and were attacking player ect, are. Our are not always on the ball, every season I see a gola against us like that, were the ball just gets loss in our box, and multiple TFC players stand around while the opposition pounce on it. This was to deep in and behind the defenders, but idealy some of them are able to run back and pressure the shooter.
    Last edited by trane; 07-29-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    When asked about the low attendance, he blame the short sell time due to the NCC final being moved.
    I didn't hear it, but this is classic Anselmi on the Fan when it comes to TFC. He's done this before. He says any nosestretcher he feels like to McCown, because McCown has no knowledge/ability to contradict.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is somewhat legit that the late finish with the Vancouver game impacted ticket sales.

If that game finished that stormy Wednesday evening then there would have been much more time to ramp up and advertise the game. As it stood we risked not having that game at all pending results.

The thing that I think caught most people off guard was the low seasons ticket renewal rate. It was confusing, I don't regret asking for that ticket to be taken out of the upfront payment but I almost missed the deadline without knowing it as did many of the guys that sit around me.