Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So I met Tom A...

Nothing major happened. Bumped into him postgame:

Me: Hey Tom
    Tom: *looks up startled*
    Me: How you doin'?
    Tom: *still startled* ... I'm alright.

Like I said, nothing major happened. But it made me think, what would you guys say if you bumped into Tom Anselmi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In hindsight, if I were pissed about the match (we looked good, lost to a tough team), I would've probably asked him if he's planning on updating his resume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly? Given the NBA lockout and the NHL summer lul this is the only real chance for a vacation MLSE people get. Personal feelings on his abilities aside, I'm happy he is even in Toronto. Let alone the fact that he was at a TFC game. It's July 20th. He had every reason not to go, but he was there. Maybe they ARE starting to take TFC seriously. Maybe Tom's actually started liking soccer even.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really dude? Tom A is alternate governor for the MLS. We're giving him credit for coming to a game?

Lowered expectations are now officially even lower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    Really dude? Tom A is alternate governor for the MLS. We're giving him credit for coming to a game?

Lowered expectations are now officially even lower.
    Not really. How many owners show up that often at their teams games? How often do you see the CEO of Rogers at a Jays game? How often do you see, I dunno, Illich at a Red Wings game? How often do you see Melnick at a Sens game? You'd be amazed how few owners regularly do go to games. Sure they go sometimes, but not 35-40 times. They generally pick either the bigger ones or the more convenient ones. Late July is Christmas for an NHL/NBA guy, it's the only quiet time of the year. In August rookie camps start (normally), for basketball there are international tournaments, looking at rounding out rosters in both sports, getting the business side of the teams ready for the next season. Keeping in mind at best TFC is his 3rd priority, and we're talking a wed game in late July in crazy weather, for a team in 2nd last in the league and ya, I'm impressed he went. Soccer isn't football, with 8 or 9 home games a year. There's 25-30 depending on the CCL. In all honesty, if I was him I don't know that I'd be in the city right now. In fact, I doubt I would be. And I don't think that too many Torontonians in his position would be either.
    Last edited by Waggy; 07-21-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Not really. How many owners show up that often at their teams games? How often do you see the CEO of Rogers at a Jays game? How often do you see, I dunno, Illich at a Red Wings game? How often do you see Melnick at a Sens game? You'd be amazed how few owners regularly do go to games. Sure they go to games, just generally the bigger ones or the more convenient ones. This is Christmas for an NHL/NBA guy, it's the only quiet time of the year. In August rookie camps start (normally), for basketball there are international tournaments, looking at rounding out rosters in both sports, getting the business side of the teams ready for the next season. Keeping in mind at best TFC is his 3rd priority, and we're talking a wed game in late July in crazy weather, for a team in 2nd last in the league and ya, I'm impressed he went. Soccer isn't football, with 8 or 9 home games a year. There's 25-30 depending on the CCL. In all honesty, if I was him I don't know that I'd be in the city right now. In fact, I doubt I would be. And I don't think that too many Torontonians in his position would be either.
    From my understanding, Illich is at every game. And there are many owners who make it to every game - hell, even the owner of the worst run franchise in North American sports (LA Clippers) goes to every game. Attending games in of itself is hardly an accomplishment.

Regardless, I wasn't referring to Larry Tanenbaum or Richard Peddie or Jim Leech - Tom A isn't an owner. He's a middle manager. He has a boss, who has a boss, who reports to the board. Granted he has other responsibilities with other divisions of the business, but he's still largely accountable for this business unit that's quickly reaching its maturity stage much quicker than other business units have (i.e. Raptors, Leafs).

I stand by previous statement about expectations reaching a record low. But still, I'm sure Anselmi is updating his curriculum vitae (if not Fake Tom A's diary at least) right now to reflect this major turning point in MLSE's middle management: "Forgo vacation to witness product in person."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom is at nearly every match and walks past 127 post-game where he either gets hurled abuse or gets handshakes..depending on how we feel at the time.

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Honestly? Given the NBA lockout and the NHL summer lul this is the only real chance for a vacation MLSE people get. Personal feelings on his abilities aside, I'm happy he is even in Toronto. Let alone the fact that he was at a TFC game. It's July 20th. He had every reason not to go, but he was there. Maybe they ARE starting to take TFC seriously. Maybe Tom's actually started liking soccer even.
    The guy is a fucking clown, he'll be all over gouging the shit out of seat prices just as soon as the team can string a few wins together.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've ran into Tommy A a few times at BMO. He always takes a few minutes to stop and chat when I have said hello to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    From my understanding, Illich is at every game. And there are many owners who make it to every game - hell, even the owner of the worst run franchise in North American sports (LA Clippers) goes to every game. Attending games in of itself is hardly an accomplishment.

Regardless, I wasn't referring to Larry Tanenbaum or Richard Peddie or Jim Leech - Tom A isn't an owner. He's a middle manager. He has a boss, who has a boss, who reports to the board. Granted he has other responsibilities with other divisions of the business, but he's still largely accountable for this business unit that's quickly reaching its maturity stage much quicker than other business units have (i.e. Raptors, Leafs).

I stand by previous statement about expectations reaching a record low. But still, I'm sure Anselmi is updating his curriculum vitae (if not Fake Tom A's diary at least) right now to reflect this major turning point in MLSE's middle management: "Forgo vacation to witness product in person."
    Hah. I hate the guy too, but for all the shit I give him I have to acknowledge when he shows us something. I stand by it, anyone in Toronto wealthy enough to have a cottage, the ability to travel wherever in the world they want with however many people they want and the ability to make their own schedules is not in the city this week.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i met him once outside of the town hall, his "how the hell did you keep your hand up so long?" cracked me up. ran into him at one of the games last season and said "tommy! what happened!?", his response (and notably disappointed/frustrated) "i just don't understand.. how can we not hold the ball in the midfield at all?"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've met him a few times. I told him I think they screwed things up and killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd walk right by him.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He walked right by me last season while I was sitting in the front row of 126 for one game. I called him a Prick. He smirked and kept going. I have no love for that man. He bugs me way more then Mo ever did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was sitting in Section 123, 2 seats over in my row for the first half with his wife/girlfriend I assume... We made a couple of jokes about "harping on management" while he was there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least he seems to have a legitimate job. That Earl Cockring is just an MLSE leech who serves no purpose and fucks up anything he does intercede in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what King Dave would say......

Actually he already SAID it LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Hahahahaah. THat is exactly what I was thinking.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe he also yelled the same thing at Richard Peddie and Larry Tanenbaum. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is TA going to replace Peddie at the end of the year...thats what i'd like to know...cuz if they bring a new guy in, TA could get the axe if the new guy wants to bring along his own people

i remember meeting him last year...he was very good at convincing me that he is committed to turning around and really wants to turn around the franchise...whether he has the ability to, not sure...but i think thats why Klinsmann was brought in because TA realized he had lacked the knowledge to make knowledigible soccer decision (different than a business decision) and needed help
    Last edited by prizby; 07-21-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Tom. I keep hearing you on the radio saying "the buck stops with me" and that "if you want to blame anyone for our failures blame me" So why don't you do everyone a favour and resign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    I believe he also yelled the same thing at Richard Peddie and Larry Tanenbaum. LOL
    That is why he is my hero.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I met him at the town hall/bitch fest we had at the end of the season. He looked none too happy to be there and none too happy to talk to us.

I have no opinion either way to be honest. I did notice that when he talks to you, he makes himself taller and tries to look down at you to make himself look superior. It's an interesting tactic.

This man may someday be the president of MLSE. The question will be, if that were to happen, what would he do with TFC?
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have spoken to him 4-5 times. Every time he impressed with his passion for the team and his chagrin at their woes.

Perhaps I just 'bought into it', but for me it seemed honest. I'm not saying that he is great at the job, but I do think he is trying.

2 cents...

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    Hey Tom. I keep hearing you on the radio saying "the buck stops with me" and that "if you want to blame anyone for our failures blame me" So why don't you do everyone a favour and resign.
    This

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I met Tom I would tell him to stop pretending that he has a clue about running this franchise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i saw him once walking outside bmo field before a match.... didnt say anything to him though....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    If I met Tom I would tell him to stop pretending that he has a clue about running this franchise.
    why do u think they hired a big name consultant with a good reputation