Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I know the role - that's where I played 70% of my life and am most comfortable playing.

Maybe I don't know the attacking role to speak to this but:

Slotting into a 3 man attacking forward line with 2 other players you have never played with before and having to be creative with them against a 4-5 man defensive line is harder then slotting into a holding mid role where you can get away with just getting the ball, moving to space and passing it forward or back to the open man.

Frings didn't do anything special last night - he played a pretty safe game and kept it basic - he did it well, but IMO, his having to mesh right away with his surroundings wasn't as complicated as the two new forwards.
    Agree to disagree. Frings had to be our general in his first game. Koevermans played a central role in a front 3. His job was to hold up the ball well, get into space and finish chances (i'll give him the one sitter he missed haha). A healthy Gordon did a great job for us in that role.

I find Fring's role to be much more integral. Either way, i'm damn glad they're both here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings was a HUGE improvement on the dead ball situations and corners. The shot at the end of the game notwithstanding the quality was pretty damn good.

Personally, I don't mind Plata taking on the man but he has to pick his spots. FCD is not RBNY or WFC, their defenders are fairly solid.

I envision Johnson taking Plata's spot on the left side, Soolsma starting on the right, and eventually (when everyone is healthy) something like this:

Johnson---------------Danny K-------------Soolsma
    ------------JDG-------------Dunfield-------
    ---------------------Frings----------------
    Yourass--Iro--(someone has to play here)----Eckersley

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    JDG - Came from the spanish league where the man on man contact wasn't as hard as MLS. So when he came to MLS, He would get bounced around and knocked off the ball like nobody's business.

Frings - comes from a tougher German league where the contact is similar, if not harder than MLS. I'm sure we won't see him get bounced as much as JDG does. But I guess time will tell.

We are comparing Two players breed from different styles of football.
    I agree.

So perhaps TFC should look at where the players play to see if they fit into MLS' more physical side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    I agree.

So perhaps TFC should look at where the players play to see if they fit into MLS' more physical side.
    I think both Preki and Winter have tried slotting him into different positions.

I firmly believe only Tony Robbins can help JDG at this point.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Agree to disagree. Frings had to be our general in his first game. Koevermans played a central role in a front 3. His job was to hold up the ball well, get into space and finish chances (i'll give him the one sitter he missed haha). A healthy Gordon did a great job for us in that role.

I find Fring's role to be much more integral. Either way, i'm damn glad they're both here.
    I don't know when, or if, we'll be able to see Frings full potential as a general this season.

The revolving door lineup, injuries, and new players coming in and out, lack of games, lack of fitness and knowledge from the other players, we may not be able to really see what he is capable of until September, maybe even October!

I'm sure he has the ability to thread a pass through 3 defenders, but do we have anyone who is quick enough to run into the correct space to get it? Maybe Plata? Martina is quick, but dumb as fuck once he has the ball.

I'm sure he can win a ball and work with 2 other players to move the ball out of a 5 man defending blockade and into space, but do we have those 2 other players who can play off him and make that play work? Maicon maybe? Koevermans when he is fit? DeGuzman when he's healthy?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last week I mentioned that this was a team without a "soul"…I saw one last night.

I thought Frings was outstanding. I spent a good portion of the night just watching him and was hugely impressed. I was warned by a number of German friends about how he had really lost a step, hence very few were interested in picking him up…even on a free.

I have said from Day One a DP is a player who makes EVERYONE on the pitch a better player…Frings may well be that guy.

Sadly, he is currently surrounded by shite…last night he was able to elevate them to crap.

Koeverman's performance was pedestrian. As far as fitness, Frings is streets ahead…not really an excuse but lets give him 3 or 4 matches to get into game shape.

Last night's team was better than last week's…I guess that's being optimistic…
    Last edited by Toronto_Bhoy; 07-21-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Last week I mentioned that this was a team without a "soul"…I saw one last night.

I thought Frings was outstanding. I spent a good portion of the night just watching him and was hugely impressed. I was warned by a number of German friends about how he had really lost a step, hence very few were interested in picking him up…even on a free.

I have said from Day One a DP is a player who makes EVERYONE on the pitch a better player…Frings may well be that guy.
    I agree with the bolded 100%

Funny how much he stood out, considering he pretty much spent most of the game evaluating his surroundings and feeling out what players could do what. Funny, he learned what Borman couldn't do very quickly and ended up shifting play away from him as much as possible

Can't wait to see him play in 4-5 matches once he gets his bearings and has instructed everyone on what they need to be doing when.

Hopefully the language barrier doesn't play a factor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see Vaitor play beside Iro, I think he will make a better CB then a RB. He can't cross but i thought he was pretty good in the air. And for the people chirping Plata for failing at beating defenders one on one, I counted about 2 times he had them beat and there RB ( don't know his name) made 2 great desperation plays to keep him away. Dallas has very good backline, but i'm starting to get worried about progressing into the champions league. Can't score. Hopefully JDG, Dunfield, Eskerley, and Griffit ( who i think is going to be the steal in the deal to columbus) can help move the ball up the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    In defense of Koev's fitness, it was crazy hot last night. Plata was the only player not named Brek Shea thriving in the heat, and Shea is 21 years old.
    gotta disagree with that one ... plata looked tired and slow most of the 2nd half ... how many times did he run straight at defenders, and literally hit a wall, nothing there, no next gear, done ... he was subbed out at 70 mins, but should have been sooner, far too many mistakes and giveaways from him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of critique is based on perception and what context the player is being looked at. But perception is the main one, and it's easy to forget the context (1st game and so on).

But, I think the general consensus is:

-there are a few players who need to go away and never come back, at this point (Borman, Yourass)

-JDG is a worthy starter. I dont think he was really Bad to start with. DP? No, he is not; Is he better than the rest of our Midfield (excl. Frings)? Absolutely

-The team has a fighting chance of winning games now.

-Forget the playoffs this year, focus on the Real Esteli and so on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with some comments on Plata, he can't really take guys on 1v1, at least not dallas defenders, he wasted too chances thinking he could do that. You've got a big Striker over there, hold the ball a minute and then hit him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Agree with some comments on Plata, he can't really take guys on 1v1, at least not dallas defenders, he wasted too chances thinking he could do that. You've got a big Striker over there, hold the ball a minute and then hit him.
    And that's something they can work out over time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crossing was horrendous last night. Most of them were going out.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fairness to Plata, his determination and size flatter to deceive, IMO.

I had this argument last night with my "little" brother. Plata is a lightweight with decent skills, defenders are able to angle him off the ball…he "looks" faster than he really is because of his size. And he's not strong enough to compete physically, granted the boy is only 5' 3".

I know it's fun to have a wee man but he loses virtually every one on one battle…even on the ground.

Having said that, he's a good squad player but I'm not sure he's a starter and definitely not a 90 minute man.
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickio View Post

But, I think the general consensus is:

-there are a few players who need to go away and never come back, at this point (Borman, Yourass)

-JDG is a worthy starter. I dont think he was really Bad to start with. DP? No, he is not; Is he better than the rest of our Midfield (excl. Frings)? Absolutely

-The team has a fighting chance of winning games now.

-Forget the playoffs this year, focus on the Real Esteli and so on...
    Pretty well sums it up. Add Harden to the "hate" list.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mark my words, the armband is on frings by the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    As far as fitness, Frings is streets ahead
    Is this a thing now!?!? LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see a level of motivation from Frings that is often lacking in our merrie band. For example, Frings staying to practice after the NCC cup game. If he provides some leadership to the team, it's hard to overstate the value of that going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked everyone, in light that it was the first game, BUT particullalry Frings, he was everything I thought he could be. PLUS passion. He gives a shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say it folks , but we no have the worst team in MLS . Iro was terrible and has no business playing in the MLS based on what I saw last night .

To many new players and , once again based on what I saw last night , it will take them the rest of the season just to get to know one another .

I also have to lay some blame at the feet of Winters and his desire to incorporate " his playing style " , get over it Winter and get the basics covered first .

The next thing I see happening is Frei wanting to leave the sorry bunch that we call a team .

Until we get some defense and a coach that gets back to solid basics we will not win another game , sad but true .

Congrats guys , we now have a university level soccer team .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Max_TO View Post
    I hate to say it folks , but we no have the worst team in MLS . Iro was terrible and has no business playing in the MLS based on what I saw last night .

To many new players and , once again based on what I saw last night , it will take them the rest of the season just to get to know one another .

I also have to lay some blame at the feet of Winters and his desire to incorporate " his playing style " , get over it Winter and get the basics covered first .

The next thing I see happening is Frei wanting to leave the sorry bunch that we call a team .

Until we get some defense and a coach that gets back to solid basics we will not win another game , sad but true .

Congrats guys , we now have a university level soccer team .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's rate Brek Shea.

Good. Very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I liked everyone, in light that it was the first game, BUT particullalry Frings, he was everything I thought he could be. PLUS passion. He gives a shit.
    Loved the way he applauded us on that first corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QSIM View Post
    Let's rate Brek Shea.

Good. Very good.
    The best young player I've seen in the MLS.
    He will play at a high level somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I think both Preki and Winter have tried slotting him into different positions.

I firmly believe only Tony Robbins can help JDG at this point.
    Gamblers anonymous would be a good start.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QSIM View Post
    Let's rate Brek Shea.

Good. Very good.
    Played much better last night than in the cup final last year. Maybe that was the difference for Dallas...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Played much better last night than in the cup final last year. Maybe that was the difference for Dallas...
    Yes, also starting to mature more as a footballer. Always had the talent, seems to be on a knew level this year. Maybe it was the GA trip to Spain in the off-season.

Its also amazing that he is versatile and can cover in a variety of positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to know if either Frings was told by the coaching staff or not to take the free kicks and corners.

if they did it was an impressive statement on his ability. If it was Frings deciding to do it on the field himself that would be even better.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S224 View Post
    I think the Eck is gone at the end of this year - his loan is up. We may not be able to get him back here next year.
    We have him till January 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    I would love to know if either Frings was told by the coaching staff or not to take the free kicks and corners.

if they did it was an impressive statement on his ability. If it was Frings deciding to do it on the field himself that would be even better.
    I was at last nights game and I did notice that Iro called him off the one corner kick .

Must say I just watched the last nights game on TV and TFC did look a lot better then they did live . Anyone else at last nights game re-watch it on TV today ? Your thoughts ?

One thing missed on the TV broadcast was Iro's total lack of knowing what to do with himself , if you were there you will most likely know what I am refuring to .