Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Your thoughts on the new players first game

Was just wondering what everyone thought of there first game, not the game just the newbies

Frings - 8.0 - Could easily anchor our mid, I'm already taking a liking to him, he plays great in mid, passes, moves, tatical, solid pickup, at 35 I just hope he's here for 3-6 seasons and retires, I'd vote him as captian... Only if he shows and improves on last night

Koeversmans - 6.5 - Seen a hint at his potential, considering he hasn't played since march I'm excited to see him at full match fitness and gelling with the team

Iro - 5.0 - Had a rough game in a good way and bad, great physical force but I think he got a little to excited his first night, not to mention he has no chem with his fellow backliners, needs time but I think, Iro, Cann, Eckersley will make a solid tandem for years to come and with Henry making good progress things are looking better on the back, still gunna miss Attakora though

Johnson - 5.0 - Kinda "not there" lol he's got time to gel let's see what he's got

Viator - 4.0 - didn't impress me that much made alot of mistakes, going to watch him more closely next game

Dunfield - I think hes going to be a steal, he gets knocked to much here by some, I think him at CDM and Fringes at L/RM and De Guzman at L/RM or sturgis ... I'd rather sturgis or Griffit and sell de guz

Griffit - Excited to see what he can bring seems like a decent player mabie has a chance to break into regular team play ?

What's your thoughts on the newbies?, really I'm seeing people already bash the new guys... Some times the supporters make me laugh at how ridiculas they are lol " 8 goals first game or bust" haha give em a break, koovs hasnt played in months and fronts is getting back into match shape
    Last edited by Doucet3; 07-20-2011 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings 6.0

Koeverman 6.0

Whole back line garbage including Iro

Ryan Johnson 7.5 I'm liking this kid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings was everything that we needed from JDG when JDG signed.

Koevermans I won't grade, he had shit service all night.

Johnson...meh

Iro - I can see why he's getting beat on but to be honest, anyone who has partnered with Harden this year has been hung out to dry. So basically everyone has been hung out dry.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I liked about Frings was his ability to sometimes make a tackle or that to push a player a certain way, only we had no one to close him down once he did go that way.
    On a number of times I saw him make a slide tackle and thought he just made them too early, but then realized he seemed to do it purposely, so that the player would turn to his other direction. Im assuming what Frings is used it is a team mate ready for this and close down the open area, but that didn't really happen often.

In any case I really liked what I saw from Frings, it seems to be the ltitle things I thought he did really well and look forward to seeing what he does once he and the team are together more.

Koeverman I thought was ok. Hoped for a bit more, but still learning our ways and that. Thought Plata was the best attacking player we had tonight.

Johnson and Iro were both hit and miss for me. I thoguht at times they made some good plays, tackles, moves etc, but then would do something sloppy not too long after. But show some promise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings looked awesome, but missed his challenge on Shea on the goal.

Kovermans no where near match fit.

Iro looked no better than what we traded away. Decent MLS defender with no ability to pass out of the back.

Johnson was invisible.

Viator had good and bad moments. Need to see him after some time adapting to the MLS. I could see him being either really good or really bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will also add that Frings performance tonight in that holding role should out into perspective how bad JDG has been in it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought Frings played very well - yes, he missed the tackle before Shea's goal, but was hung out to dry by Yourrasowski losing the ball upfield and cannot be blamed for the goal. Distribution was excellent. I was starting to wonder whether I just don't know what to look for in a holding midfielder as I was never impressed by Robinson (like others) or DeGuzman (like much fewer others), but Frings played the role to perfection tonight, and looks (based on just this game) like a worthwhile investment.

Koevermans was invisible, barely involved in play. Can't really blame him, it will come with match fitness.

I liked Johnson more than most in this thread - he was unlucky at times, but I thought he brought a threat over the wing.

Iro looked shaky at times, though I like that he's being van Buyten'd - sent forward late in the game when we need a goal - he looked dangerous up there.

Wasn't impressed by Viator, especially by his crosses. Marginal improvement over Gargan.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson and Frings = good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings was great, I was very impressed with his commanding presence and ability to hold the ball in traffic.

Kouvermans looked lazy out there, probably a fitness issue.

Johnson can't put in a cross to save his life.

Iro could have potential but is extremely shaky on the ball.

Viator looked okay at times and lost at others. I'd have to see him again, apparently he can play CB as well so it will be interesting to see if he goes inside with Iro or if Eckersley stays there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kovermans long range shot was a screamer headed for very top left corner. More times than not thats a goal in MLS.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In defense of Koev's fitness, it was crazy hot last night. Plata was the only player not named Brek Shea thriving in the heat, and Shea is 21 years old.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd3TFC View Post

Iro - 5.0 - Had a rough game in a good way and bad, great physical force but I think he got a little to excited his first night, not to mention he has no chem with his fellow backliners, needs time but I think, Iro, Cann, Eckersley will make a solid tandem for years to come and with Henry making good progress things are looking better on the back, still gunna miss Attakora though
    I think the Eck is gone at the end of this year - his loan is up. We may not be able to get him back here next year.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Cann is 32 and coming off of major injury, not sure how many years are left there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings is the man to run the midfield. Time to pack JDG's bags.

Iro: fantastic at knocking over opposing players (we need more of that), but not comfortable with a ball at his feet. Doesn't bode well for a system that requires a CB to play the ball out.

Viator: hit and miss. Mostly miss in the first half, less so in the second.

Koevermans: you can tell it's his pre-season. Mind you, that one volley he lashed on target from 5 miles out...

Johnson: neither here nor there at the moment.

I know we're talking new faces, but I'd just like to add that I thought Borman was the team's biggest liability last night.
    Last edited by koryo; 07-21-2011 at 07:18 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torsten was great.

Language barrier be damned, when he needed to let them know they screwed up, message was clear for ALL to understand.

I hope Viator can get his act right, if it wasn't for Borman, he would have been my choice for worst of the night. Thank god Ecks will be there next game.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings can make a pass man.

thankless moocher, riding on the coattails of others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings looked like he was 23 out there last night. He didn't stop running he directed traffic looked good.

The rest of the team looked like hot homeless shit. Except for Frei. I will never shit talk Frei.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm worried that Koevermans could be come another Mista. Hopefully he regains fitness and I'm wrong.

Frings looks a class above. He disproved the De Guzman Theory (good players need to play with good players).

The others looked like MLS level parts.

We really do need to shore up our D or else all these moves are pointless.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    Frings can make a pass man.
    Do you remember that ball he had in the second half. He was just outside our box towards the East side of the field and hit it right to Santos' chest downfield. I was so damn impressed, you never see service like that from TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Do you remember that ball he had in the second half. He was just outside our box towards the East side of the field and hit it right to Santos' chest downfield. I was so damn impressed, you never see service like that from TFC.
    I know EXACTLY what pass you mean, I was totally impressed by it at the time

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    Thought Frings played very well - yes, he missed the tackle before Shea's goal, but was hung out to dry by Yourrasowski losing the ball upfield and cannot be blamed for the goal. Distribution was excellent. I was starting to wonder whether I just don't know what to look for in a holding midfielder as I was never impressed by Robinson (like others) or DeGuzman (like much fewer others), but Frings played the role to perfection tonight, and looks (based on just this game) like a worthwhile investment.

Koevermans was invisible, barely involved in play. Can't really blame him, it will come with match fitness.

I liked Johnson more than most in this thread - he was unlucky at times, but I thought he brought a threat over the wing.

Iro looked shaky at times, though I like that he's being van Buyten'd - sent forward late in the game when we need a goal - he looked dangerous up there.

Wasn't impressed by Viator, especially by his crosses. Marginal improvement over Gargan.
    I noticed this as well...and I kid you not, used the exact same term

I agree with you on everything else you've said, so thanks for saying it!
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Koeverman will do nothing if we can't get him the ball. He should always play with soolsma.

the team is just terrible moving the ball forward.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Holding Midfielders play heavily off of the the Defensive Backs, as well as the two attacking midfielders, and to some degree, the strikers.

When you've got Daniel Borman and Yourassowsky shitting the bed like they did, and a striker who is out of shape, as well as a CB who doesn't know what to do with a back pass - it leaves your options to move the ball limited.

And for Frings to play as well as he did with those shitheads running around the pitch, I'd say he has the potential TTLA :P
    Last edited by jabbronies; 07-21-2011 at 07:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Koeverman will do nothing if we can't get him the ball. He should always play with soolsma.

This may change drastically with the inclusion of Dunfield in the game, and by extension, De Guzman as well, i think. I'm still curious to see how De Guzman plays with Frings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I am just projecting but it seemed that Frings was troubleshooting different areas, trying to read the game even if nobody else was. That's great but I hope he doesn't get frustrated by the incredibly thick players we have.

I am very curious to see how JDG is used once he is fit. Or is he already done?

More:
    Yourassowsky was wretched last night. I don't understand the purpose of playing him, ever. He need to go.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 07-21-2011 at 08:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post

I was very impressed with Soolsma last night and really hope he gets more starts. It seems like he's the only player that can put in a decent cross while being covered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I was very impressed with Soolsma last night and really hope he gets more starts. It seems like he's the only player that can put in a decent cross while being covered.
    I wasn't part of the Soolsma fanclub at first because he's not quick.

But...

Man is he good at creating space on the wing and getting a cross in. He's been the most consistant all year at it. Problem is usually no one is there to receive the cross. With Soolsma, Koev, and Johnson on the front 3 with Plata off the pine I think we'll be Ok.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always liked Frings but wasn't too sure how it work out in T.O.

was impressed last night, despite being surrounded by shit the stink didn't stick to him. hope he can drag the team up and not get pissed off.

surely we can get JDG out now!

there's not much to say about Koevermans, can't see what he can do if he doesn't get the ball. that being said he did have a nice poke from distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here some observations close to fact:
    -Dallas FC is a hot team lately, so is Shrek (Breck Sh...)
    -1st goal was Yourass giveaway- he's had too many of them lately

Frings
    -Best player on the team

Koevermans
    -He knows he can do better, as do we

Johnson
    -He was OK, not great, not bad- had a few nice passes and screwed up a few important crosses.
    -Needs to be better if he is the final ball guy

Plata
    -How about the hustle and putting pressure, anyone notice? The guy is a running machine
    -Didn't like him on the right though, a few giveaways

Viator
    -Not impressed, he struggled and his passing sucked. You can tell that this is a step up for him
    -He is at best a depth (deep) defender

Harden
    -Harden

Iro
    -He needs confidence, and surely being on a lossing team it'll come quick...

Borman
    -Iro was frustrated with him, because he is a garbage defender. He can't pass and can't defend.
    -I would rather Gargan in his position

Sturgis
    -He is a weakness and nothing impressive AT ALL / EVER!, no wonder he is being shopped around

Santos
    -Had a decent game, he is a capable 2nd striker in the future for sure

I feel like we are 3-4 players from a complete starting side. With JDG, Dunfield, Eckersley and ANOTHER DEFENDER OR TWO I think we would have a complete side.

Right now we have Great players and players who Ruin what the great players create. The latter needs to get off the field. This is where I think JDG can really complement the new additions- he would complement Frings, Koevermans and Plata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fringes played very well great signing from what i've seen so far

Koeverman looked like Alan Gordon light, hope he improves, he didnt get much service but even with the long balls he was beaten pretty easily, Gordon would bring more balls down and lay them off

Johnson was ok but Soolsma is still our best winger as he showed when he came on. Hope Johnson doesnt get the start over Soolsma again

Viator looked like complete garbage

Iro had his moments but he made some horrible errors, I think he will look more promising when Harden is not beside him