Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Defender?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Defender?

French footballer Eddy Viator trained with Toronto on Tuesday. The 29-year old defender has represented Guadeloupe and has been on trial with TFC. There is no indication if the Reds will move forward with Viator. Testing his versatility, Toronto coaches tested him at the centre back and right fullback positions during training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_Viator

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'd have to be an injury replacement for Dicoy Williams to be signed because the six discovery signings for 2011 are all used up. With the recent roster additions there can't be much cap space left for that sort of thing hence the less than stellar resume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone recall him from the Gold Cup? Did he play?

Have we used up replacements from Cann's and Bouchiba's injuries?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think Eckersley was Bouchiba's replacement because numbers don't work otherwise on international players and discovery signings (loans not a separate category as far as I can see). This would have to be for Williams rather than Cann to free up the international roster spot. Don't think Cann has been replaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh makes sense, ty.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoftheDrink View Post
    Anyone recall him from the Gold Cup? Did he play?

Have we used up replacements from Cann's and Bouchiba's injuries?
    Yes, I remember the name from the match against the U.S., think he had a yellow in either that one or against us. Don't remember if he was any good or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Soolsma from a pub league, now this guy from....what the heck is "Granada 74"?

So we waited for the transfer window to trial a guy....from a team not playing in a registered league?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Marco Materazzi... he's a free agent

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    What about Marco Materazzi... he's a free agent
    Only doable if JDG can be persuaded to move on and a club can be found to take on his contract. At that point a DP roster spot and lots caps space opens up. Kristian Jack had a tweet yesterday that stated his agent had said the Maccabi Tel Aviv thing isn't going to happen. In the absence of JDG leaving all that's doable in terms of signing a new centre back from outside the league (as opposed to making a trade) is an injury replacement for Dicoy Williams or Adrian Cann and after signing the two DPs there probably isn't much money available for that. Hence the arrival of Eddy Viator.
    Last edited by CSO_BBTB; 07-20-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoftheDrink View Post
    Ahh makes sense, ty.

sweet Av, bro. Brings back memories. Ta.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW.. OMD Dazzle Ships!!!.. Can't believe that someone remembers that Album.. USed to scare the kaka outta me

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    First Soolsma from a pub league, now this guy from....what the heck is "Granada 74"?

So we waited for the transfer window to trial a guy....from a team not playing in a registered league?
    The story is even better. I don't think Granada 74 even plays anymore! They didn't in the 2009/2010 season. From the sounds of it, the club is the Spanish version of MK Dons. Not sure it even exists anymore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granada_74_CF
    Last edited by menefreghista; 07-20-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soolsma may be from a pub league. But he certainly doensn't look out of place in the MLS as far as I can tell. He's been getting starts over guys who came from Ajax and Inter on this team and deservedly so. Which really just proves it doesn't matter where the player comes from no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Soolsma may be from a pub league. But he certainly doensn't look out of place in the MLS as far as I can tell. He's been getting starts over guys who came from Ajax and Inter on this team and deservedly so. Which really just proves it doesn't matter where the player comes from no?
    Agreed.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soolsma played at a level that would be termed semi-pro in most countries and in games that typically drew crowds of a few hundred people. "Pub league" is a bit misleading in that context.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eddy Viator has played regularly as of late for his national team. Although Guadaloupe is not a exactly a world football power, his international experience suggests that he should represent an upgrade over the current reserves on TFC's backline.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-20-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soolsma turned out very well, i'd give this time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't rate Soolsma nearly as highly as others do. Footspeed for wingers matters more to me than others, I guess.

My point still stands. Are we using the transfer window to find non-DPs at all?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually curious as to where Viator has been playing the last couple of seasons?

The club he is listed at hasn't played a game in 2 seasons. So what has he been doing? Just playing Guadeloupe national team games?

Putting aside the last 2 seasons, Viator actually has a better professional history than the Dutch amateurs we signed at the start of the year. Most of his earlier career was spent in the French 2nd division. And when Granada 74 did exist I believe it was in Spain's 2nd tier?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't rate Soolsma nearly as highly as others do. Footspeed for wingers matters more to me than others, I guess.

My point still stands. Are we using the transfer window to find non-DPs at all?
    We've been told by Winter AND by the sources of J-Mo, Roogsy and others that the team is definitely not done transacting, so I guess it remains to be seen.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I'm actually curious as to where Viator has been playing the last couple of seasons?

The club he is listed at hasn't played a game in 2 seasons. So what has he been doing? Just playing Guadeloupe national team games?

Putting aside the last 2 seasons, Viator actually has a better professional history than the Dutch amateurs we signed at the start of the year. Most of his earlier career was spent in the French 2nd division. And when Granada 74 did exist I believe it was in Spain's 2nd tier?
    The second divisions in France and Spain are a decent calibre of football, definitely comparable to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last two seasons on record were with Amiens SC in the second tier in
    FRance

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Footb...ueur18971.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The second divisions in France and Spain are a decent calibre of football, definitely comparable to MLS.
    Agree.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    The last two seasons on record were with Amiens SC in the second tier in
    FRance

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Footb...ueur18971.html
    Thanks.

That clears up things a little. But we still don't know where he played in the 10/11 season.

By the way, if he signs and ends up being good, we should start calling him the Violator.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey, um, this article says he was recently on trial with the Impact... WTF ? :

The Impact has already released Kevin Hatchi, Idriss Ech Chergui and Richard Pelletier and re-signed Eduardo Sebrango and Marco Terminesi. De Santis also said in Wednesday’s press conference that there are four players on trial – midfielder Ian Westlake and defenders Eddy Viator, Ross Smith and Cameron Knowles – and that the Impact would be active when the international transfer window opens on July 15. However, De Santis specified that he would only bring players in as a help for the squad in its current season and not as long-term MLS solutions.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Hey, um, this article says he was recently on trial with the Impact... WTF ? :

Could have somethin to do with a French connection were unaware of and our guys possibly poached him, who knows

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Molinaro says TFC has 'singed' Viator. It must be for realz, cuz Ives has it as well.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's on TFCs site. He's available for tonight.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have preferred Ricky Titus.