Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I love me some St. Ambroise oatmeal stout

My most frequently consumed beer, though, is still just regular old Guinness. For lighter stuff, I generally stick to smaller brews - Hobgoblin, Mill St., Wellington, Dogfish Head, and a couple of others.

The Robert Simpson brewery here in Barrie also makes a couple of nice brews - Flying Monkeys, and Hoptical Illusion.

- Scott
    St. Ambroise is delicious. However, it's a shame it's not of Toronto or somewhere west or east of Quebec.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Now that the LCBO has brought in:

I see no point in ever going to the Beer Store again
    I'm down to my last 3 bottles of I&G. Time to make a trip to the Lickbow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    Yum.

We have a beer store in Edmonton five minutes from my house that has more than 300 brands from around the world. It's, like, beer heaven. I had a pint of Marston's Old Empire today and a very muddy, sediment-laden trappist monk ale. I'm ashamed to admit I liked the mass-produced commercial Marston's beer better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't kmow about the porter - but a great pub in Etobicoke 200m west of the York Mills subway on Bloor, is The King Henry IIIV Ale House

Fullers ESB on draft... one of the best beers you can get in Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bottle vs Can? What do the people say?

I sort of avoid cans, feels like they have a metallic taste (but is that just my imagination?).....but some of the best beers are on sale in cans only....
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I sort of avoid cans, feels like they have a metallic taste (but is that just my imagination?).....but some of the best beers are on sale in cans only....
    If I'm just enjoying a beer at home or whatever, it's bottle all the way.

But for the cottage, or any situation where portability and/or ease of disposal matters, I'm fine with cans.

I do think bottled beer tastes better, but the difference isn't big enough to matter THAT much. And as you said - some great beers only come in cans.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Empirical View Post
    I think the egregious overvaluing of Gordon comes from a tinge of racism. I'm surprised this didn't come up before about 10 beer choice denouncemenets (I especially agree that if you're going to be bragging about a beer at the end of a post, it best not be molson). Indeed, his proud beer choice may support my point.
    I don't care who I see at centre forward I just want to hear goal and feel white and red confetti.*

Danny Dichio spoke to the fans for many reasons. He interviewed well, was thankful to the fans and scored our first goal. (among other things) Toronto FC has an ethnically rich and diverse fan base. That is what drives this Toronto team. Many fans OP included were attracted to TFC because they love good old english football and that very starkly distinct culture. TFC fans are evidence of a wonderful harmony between the two. No matter his nationality or skin colour, if we will win with him he's our man! Your post evinces another angle. Urging for a big "Tier 2 England" type striker, irrespective of goal scoring potential or ability. (even playing ability in this case). It's convenient that you have an audience with a special affinity for that kind of guy, so the racism can just seep through. But I dont live Dichio because of the colour of his skin. Your suggestion is we find someone like conor Casey (the closest thing to a good olde English boy) or get one from a virtually all white english league. Why not scout in south amaerica for the next hood frontman. We have a kid like plata there.

If you can't tell from his tone or even subsequent posts. He adds that players should "settle and integrate". No doubt this is the case, but Gordon too is a new edition. Does he not need time to integrate too? Wouldn't any other English battering ram?

You're not talking to 70s English supporters.

Sorry I am writing this a little wasted as a first time post. I read the forums daily and felt I needed to step in. As a white male, diversity is what makes this team wonderful. I would like to think we are fueled by love for one team, not (like many of
    The world's supporters, by hate and racism.
    I like this post, but haven't yet sorted out why. However, might I say beware of forum backlash as you have forgone the customary "Hello, I'm new here" thread, where nothing much is discussed.

That said, this :

... and I win again.
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 07-18-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, it is not so important whether a beer comes from a can or bottle but that, when conditions permit, it is poured into a glass before drinking to fully appreciate the look and aroma. I only notice a metallic taste when drinking directly from a can (which due to circumstances I have probably done several thousand times).

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it depends on the beer.

Since Innis & Gunn is bottle only, that drives my selection. It's a good thing too because at +- 7% alcohol, more volume isn't always the best move.

Some only come in a can like Boddingtons or Kilkenny.

If I am going for a Guinness, I choose the can as it has more volume in the can than the bottle.

If I am having folks over poolside, I tend to buy cans as the combination of new pool liner, bare feet and broken glass just doesn't seem to add up to a smart decision.

For some reason, Mill Street's Lemon Tea Beer tastes better (to me) in a can.

How's that for taking a stand on the issue?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    I've only got one bottle of that Christmas time Highland Cask in the green box. I've been saving it for a special occasion, like a TFC playoff spot or next Christmas when I can restock the fridge... whichever comes sooner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, I find either bottle, can, glass depends on where & when I am drinking...

Its just a "feeling" thing...

Sitting in the pub - I need a nice pint. Even if I am buying beer from the bottle, in a glass... Its just that pub feeling to have a glass...

At the cottage (not that I own one personally) - I drink from a bottle. Again, no idea why, just feeling right to sit there and swig out of the bottle...

Parking lot, outdoor beer tent - can. Just that tailgating wouldn't been the same with proper glass or bottle (obviously plastic cup usually is the case)...

Same with seasons. In the summer, I like a cold bottle in my hand - in the winter at the pub, a tall pint...

I know it makes no sense, because it doesn't change the taste - but for me its more mood/setting when picking bottle-can-glass...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    For me, I find either bottle, can, glass depends on where & when I am drinking...

Its just a "feeling" thing...

Sitting in the pub - I need a nice pint. Even if I am buying beer from the bottle, in a glass... Its just that pub feeling to have a glass...

At the cottage (not that I own one personally) - I drink from a bottle. Again, no idea why, just feeling right to sit there and swig out of the bottle...

Parking lot, outdoor beer tent - can. Just that tailgating wouldn't been the same with proper glass or bottle (obviously plastic cup usually is the case)...

Same with seasons. In the summer, I like a cold bottle in my hand - in the winter at the pub, a tall pint...

I know it makes no sense, because it doesn't change the taste - but for me its more mood/setting when picking bottle-can-glass...

Carts...
    agreed

when I drink to get drunk, i usually don't give a crap what i drink out of, but when i drink to enjoy, it has to be proper pint glasses, scotch glass. at least a glass bottle
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    Don't kmow about the porter - but a great pub in Etobicoke 200m west of the York Mills subway on Bloor, is The King Henry IIIV Ale House

Fullers ESB on draft... one of the best beers you can get in Toronto
    Think you mean Royal York subway station, but yes, I agree with you. King Henry VIII Alehouse is a great little pub.

BTW, tried an awesome microbrew from a new local brewery (Spearhead Brewery) yesterday - Hawaiian Pale Ale. As the name would suggest, there is a hint of pineapple in it - awesome. I will be drinking that on a regular basis, no question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 627

I recommend this one - you can get it from the LCBO for $2.25 or so in the tall can. It's my favorite to buy there.

I also reco all beer be drunk from a glass. It is more sanitary than a can, tastes better, and is less gassy so you have a happier tummy that can drink more with less interference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I've only got one bottle of that Christmas time Highland Cask in the green box. I've been saving it for a special occasion, like a TFC playoff spot or next Christmas when I can restock the fridge... whichever comes sooner.
    Did you get the 3-pack with the glass? That was actually my first taste of I&G...I've been hooked ever since. I still drink a variety of stuff (mostly Steam Whistle, Erdinger or Hacker-Pschorr, Guinness cans and whatever new discoveries I make at the LCBO), but that's become my go-to sipping/quiet enjoyment beer.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I did. I really liked the Winter Cask included pack but it isn't available as a single.

Noticing that the LCBO, perhaps just my local one, isn't carrying the Blonde lately. Anyone else having a shortage of Blondes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one is kinda interesting. Only seen it in Italy though.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jIYc1pJQ9k...0/hellbeer.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muskoka Cream Ale is quite nice on a hot day, so is the Mill Street Organic, but then again, my wife calls me a beer 'HO', The SPA or Arkell Best Bitter from Wellington and The Galt Knife or Plowman's Ale from Grand River Brewing Company are excellent local choices if you are out Guelph/Cambridge way.

Cheers to good beer from all over the world,
    Remember what good old Benjamin Franklin said ' ...Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.....'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When ever I'm in Montreal I try to visit Dieu Du Ciel(Sky Gods) brew pub.
    They are up on the Plateau near St. Laurent and St. Joseph.

Great beers and food, more like beer munchies, pizza, sandwiches, etc.

My favorite is Péché Mortel(Mortal Sin), a great stout.
    I've seen some of their beers at the Queens Quay LCBO, I think Summerhill has some as well.

Their beer list...
    http://www.dieuduciel.com/en/beers.php
    Last edited by Petor; 07-19-2011 at 10:26 AM.