RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galaxy ink a huge TV deal:

The team, which is jumping from Fox Sports West, reaches an agreement on a 10-year deal valued at $55 million for an undetermined number of games starting in 2012.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...2C639039.story

For a regional deal, this is very big money.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-17-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the round I think it's fair to say we learned that Canada is better than their ranking but deserved to be in this early round. I'm for one glad that we had this opportunity to see more Canada matches that mattered. While there weren't as many goals as there should've been I think there were enough to keep them positive to reclaim their automatic spot in Round 3 for next time.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 11-17-2011 at 07:44 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has not been a ratings winner for FSW, never drawing more than 16,000 homes, a .28 rating. In the last few years, ratings have dropping as low as .11%.

Fox, which has been paying less than $500,000 a season for the Galaxy's broadcast rights, carried 19 games this year.
    From $0.5m to $5.5m/year is quite a jump for 16,000 homes.

I noticed the LA Times doesn't have a Galaxy/Soccer tab in the sports section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glory_Hunter View Post
    From $0.5m to $5.5m/year is quite a jump for 16,000 homes.

We do better on GolTV, do we not?

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glory_Hunter View Post

They do have good regular beat coverage.

But to your point....
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...2631557.column
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSG: Mama mia... though she needs to work on her pouty face. lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA is now very close to having a Hispanic majority with close to half of that demographic being first generation immigrants from soccer loving countries. Soccer is a lot more than an afterthought to a very sizable portion of the population there. The huge TV deal is maybe a sign that MLS is starting to make some serious inroads in terms of getting hardcore soccer fans in LA to take it seriously. I suspect Beckham's presence hasn't done any harm in that regard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    At the end of the round I think it's fair to say we learned that Canada is better than their ranking but deserved to be in this early round. I'm for one glad that we had this opportunity to see more Canada matches that mattered. While there weren't as many goals as there should've been I think there were enough to keep them positive to reclaim their automatic spot in Round 3 for next time.
    I agree. They were inconsistent, but in the end they showed some promise in some games. They outscored their admittedly weak opponents 18-1 in 6 games, which is good. They need to get back some players from injury. The 6 games were good -- they forced Canada to play lots of competitive matches instead of scattered friendlies. That brings the team together. Next round ain't gonna be easy, but then again, qualifying for the world cup should not be easy. It should be a challenge.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Indeed. 18-1 is nothing to dismiss but I think there would be a more hopeful air going into the next round if they had distributed those goals to make those 2 draws wins. Even then, you can't say they won pretty for most of the matches but there's a lot to grow on.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER