Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    No Eck...suspension.
    woah, then its this
    --Gargan----Henry--Harden----Borman--

or is there another academy player to slot in? or hatchi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boomcha View Post
    From Jacob Peterson's twitter: On to greener pastures...
    Would a two-stick of Ryan Johnson with the Jamaican flag with the words "greener pastures" be too much?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im a big fan of this trade. I think it does a ton for the club and we are a better side than before.

Dunfield will play as the ball winner JDG never was and with Frings and JDG in the midfield we have a very, very strong midfield and with Aleman never going to play for us anyway, Id take a ball winning leader than a kid who did zero at the u17 and is nothing more than potential at this point.

The Johnson trade took money, an unhappy player, a constantly injured and a constantly useless as well as injured player off the books. Johnson should be ok for us. He gives us someone to play so Plata can develop. I was hoping for someone more of a goal scorer to play that position but it looks like he gets a point either a goal or assist every three games, which isn't too bad.

I truly hope Winter signs someone who is a top quality right winger. We've never had that, with Frings, JDG and Dunfield in the mid, a serviceable left winger and Koevermans up top I really like our attack.

Our back line needs to be shored up, but I suspect with someone like Dunfield to park in front of the central defenders there will be less breakaways and the like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likely the correct time to trade Gordon as much as I loved the guy this year, he came in with very low expectations and really played above himself. We shall see but I will bet that his second half of the year is not as productive as the first half, it seems like he needs a lot of recovery time.

We shall not forget the "win" like draw in LA when Gordon carried the team on his back. A highlight this year. Kind of a shame to see him go but in terms of the team the correct time to trade him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jenkins12 View Post
    I dont see the big deal with the international spot if its only for a year, we basically get a player on loan for a year and a half
    Coaches often only plan a year or two in advance anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only been able to read a few pages of the threads, but it seems like TFC have made good moves. I like the addition of Dunfield, and Johnshon(if he's used as a winger), and the international spot and allocation. As for the players leaving, Gordon, Nana, and Peterson were all good players who despite criticism from many fans all gave plenty of effort for the club. Hopefully we continue in the right direction, and continue to add quality players to our roster. I'm pleased with the progress, however what defines Winter's regime will be the additional players he brings in to solidify the line-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    He's from TFC's protected 75 mile (?) territory in MLS Academy system terms so probably needs TFC's permission to hook up with another Canadian MLS team at the academy team level. Different story once he turns 18 and is looking to sign his first pro contract obviously.
    TFC gave up all rights to him, he's a free agent able to sign for any team in the world.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheKing7 View Post
    Would a two-stick of Ryan Johnson with the Jamaican flag with the words "greener pastures" be too much?
    Too few people would know what it was all about if it has only been on twitter, maybe? Beyond that I hope Jacob Peterson is left feeling like Kermit on the green thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIOiwg2iHio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post
    Terry Dunfield isn't valued very much over at Vancouver. There's gotta be more to this.

Allocation Money aside, Vancouver is salivating over Kevin Aleman from our academy, hoping the "future considerations" is his signing. Perhaps we have some trade value afterall.

Out of curiosity, why did you go from Peterson to Sturgis with your avatar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Can't believe the venom for Dunfield. He's better than that POS JDG. And only cost $65,000. If we bring in better players he'll be a steller sub next season... or we can just drop him.

He was paid way more money last year while VWFC was not in MLS, so that this year they could pay him way less and fudge their numbers.

So he probably made around 100,000 - 200,000 on average over the two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Out of curiosity, why did you go from Peterson to Sturgis with your avatar?
    Sigh..

I need a new picture
    Now that Jacob Peterson has gone on to "greener pastures"

The new official "Best Player on TFC according to ArmenJBX" is

NATHAN STURGIS

Congratulations Nathan!
    Page 8
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So does the other shoe drop today?

We're bringing in players but we're not "scratching where it itches". We still badly need an attacking mid and quality CB. Dunfield is definitely NOT THE ANSWER TO ANYTHING (except one of Vancouver's headaches).

The other players including the two dp's don't address our main problems. And continuing to use Ecks out of position causes all kinds of problems with width and the whole right side of our attack. There needs to be more coming or we won't have improved at all, except marginally in areas where we already were reasonably well set - CF (DKoevermans) and d-mid (Frings).

And I am still pissed about losing Nana. RJohnson is nothing to write home about, however if the I-spot and allocation $ he brought are turned to good account that would help a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....If the CB is Kevin Hatchi I would say its a dissapointment

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives' take on the trades:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/m...-system-071411

At his best, Dunfield is a capable central midfielder. He saw considerable playing time for Canada at the Gold Cup, but he also endured ups and downs with the Whitecaps. In Aron Wintter's 4-3-3 system, Dunfield is the type of defensive midfielder who could work well.
    Ryan Johnson has struggled badly in MLS, having yet to score a goal this season, but his play for Jamaica has impressed and he could thrive in Toronto’s three-forward system. He does boast speed, though his finishing still leaves something to be desired.
    The day’s big loser? It’s tough to understand Vancouver’s motivation for trading Dunfield, and with Whitecaps fans already mired in a forgettable debut season, dealing away Dunfield to a rival for what amounted to peanuts could come back to haunt the expansion club.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    TFC gave up all rights to him, he's a free agent able to sign for any team in the world.
    CSN reported that because Aleman's been in our system for a year, he's our MLS property for 3 years.

Although it's expected that his rights become the "future considerations" in the Dunfield trade, where if he plays 1 year in the VWFC system he'll become "homegrown" talent for their club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson I don't know enough about. Dunfield, for me, is an upgrade from JDG. Perhaps a bit less natural talent, but much more heart and far stronger work ethic. That's what's needed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take Ives opinion with a grain of salt these days.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nana is just boarding his plane... he appreciates all the support from the supporters and says "Thanks"... I'm so sad. He's such a great guy with so much potential. I wished him nothing but the best and he is going to do amazing - that is a fact!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny asterisk to this: given the size of this trade, you've got to believe this was in the works for a while. Which makes me wonder about Brandon Macdonald, a pretty good young starting CB who is in the exact same situation Nana is (ie expiring contract, probably heading elsewhere at end of season), whom SJ moved to DCU two weeks ago for an allocation.

Who knows the ins and outs of these things, but from the outside, it's kind of odd that Macdonald didn't come here. Maybe it's because we're already pretty heavy on rentals, but he would have helped last week!

From SJ's perpective, I think I get it, Macdonald is a lot likelier to catch on in Europe than Nana is.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-15-2011 at 09:27 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    i'm in the same boat...he was the place for mls news and "insider" info

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be a regular reader of his site. Now I rarely check it.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only player we'll miss is Gordon.....when he's fit.
    Attakora is a liability at the back and Peterson is crap.
    Can't understand why Winter didn't get a couple of defenders.
    Dunfield and Johnson are average.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Id be willing to bet that a) Mariner is making these trades and b) we have some defenders on the way. Dont think anyones blind to the fact we need defenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only player we'll miss is Gordon.....when he's fit.
    Attakora is a liability at the back and Peterson is crap.
    Dunfield and Johnson are average.
    probably because Winter could not find a couple of defenders via the trade route. I don't think that we will be playing our next game without someone new on the back end. They know our back line is piss poor, they will try to get someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The transfer window starts today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id be willing to bet that a) Mariner is making these trades and b) we have some defenders on the way. Dont think anyones blind to the fact we need defenders.
    I know, but it should have been the first priority and now we've got 4 new players in, none of them defenders, and even traded one away.
    Last edited by Davenport; 07-15-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: sp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anybody done a list of which players are permanent (relative term I know) and here on loan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    The transfer window starts today.
    Good...they better get to work !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, but it should have been the first priority and now we've got 4 new players in, none of them defenders, and even traded one away.
    Youre saying this as if you are certain they are not bringing defenders in a different way from trades ie free agency. Do you know something we dont know?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may very well be top priority. Some deals take longer than others to complete. The trades yesterday might just be the first ones across the finish line, or required moves to allow him to obtain the defenders he wants.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens