Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC vs Dallas Wed Jul 20 pre game

I am offering a pint to the person who comes closest to describing exactly what kind of game Frings and Koevermans have against Dallas.

It could be minutes played, assists, cards, general impact on flow of play, complaining to refs, you name it....if you call it right, better than everyone else in this thread, I will buy you a pint. Only predictions for both players are eligible.

You should assume that judging will be arbitrary. This is MLS after all.

The phrase "tear this league a new one" will result in automatic disqualification.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-12-2011 at 12:53 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny Koevermans will score a goal in the game for us.
    Torsten Frings will have a decent game, nothing special at all though.

Koevermans will be quiet for the majority of the first half, sparks up in the second half. His strength will be in distribution to Soolsma and Plata.

Frings will have one good shot on net, but will otherwise be a simple passer in the midfield.

We draw this match 1-1

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is absolutely no way I will win your pint. I think if I even tried to do so it would so jynx the team and those particular players performances that I would never forgive myself. Soooooo....

I will play it safe and conservative and say I am HOPING for the best performance from a TFC player I've seen all season by one or more of these players. I would hope to win this next game. A lot. Not by a lot just hope a lot.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one of our dp's will splinter into shards of meat and bone for making fun of the patron saint of consistent injuries, St. Hargreaves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dallas wont know what to expect so wont have the advantage that the last bunch of teams have had in exploiting our weaknesses.

The new dynamic could really improve our chances at blindsiding Dallas, and as long as the plays dont become too predictable and we dont backpedal on a lead we may even win.

Im not expecting a loss, whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On July 20th, BMO Field will be sold out. The atmosphere will be reminiscent of the good old days. The excitement surrounding the debut of our heralded designated players will be palpable in the stands.

TFC's lineup will feature our best starting 11, minus Eckersley, who will be serving a suspension. Torsten Frings will quickly emerge as the greatest field general in the history of the squad, breaking up plays, initiating counter attacks, directing traffic, and instilling confidence in his teammates. Danny Koevermans will impose his menacing frame in the offensive third of the pitch, outmuscling opposing defenders, holding his ground, and distributing with precision. TFC creates a few chances in the first half but fails to convert. The score will be nil-nil at half time.

In the second half, the squad seems to have more cohesion, and begins to dominate possession. Plata gets fouled just outside the box. Frings steps up and delivers a world class free kick into the top corner. The crowd goes wild, as TFC takes a 1-0 lead. TFC continues to press, and several minutes later, JDG spots Koevermans open and delivers a perfect long ball, which Koevermans controls with ease, then turns, and blasts a cannon into the far side to take a 2-0 lead.

At this point, the supporter groups have already started songs and chants dedicated to their new found heroes. The last 20 minutes of the match is a wonderful chorus of joy and celebration, marking the beginning of a new era. TFC is one of the big boys now.

Ensco, I prefer Heineken, so you'll have to buy me that pint outside the stadium.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-12-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

Koevermans will be quiet for the majority of the first half, sparks up in the second half. His strength will be in distribution to Soolsma and Plata.

Frings will have one good shot on net, but will otherwise be a simple passer in the midfield.

We draw this match 1-1
    I was going to post my response but you pretty much nailed exactly what I would have wrote.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings will enter the arena through a giant hoop of flames, setting off all the fire alarms, noone will be upset because it will be 50c outside. Then he will crush every single player in Dallas' Team providing Koevermans with 3 assists and scoring with the hardest shot ever taken from the opposite end of the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FCD has two pretty good defenders back there. I’d say we can expect an industrial but unspectacular performance from Koevermans for his first game out. I think they said he was further away from full fitness than Frings so maybe a 65th minute sub will be seen as well.

Frings will win the ball a lot but will probably have some issues linking up going forward with new teammates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here it goes...

Both play the full 90 because we need a win and the pressure from the FO to spark more interest in the team. Koevermans will be frustrated at the lack of good service he receives from Soolsma on the wing, but will be pleased with Plata. He'll get a good chance to score, and it will result in a good save. Other than that he will be relatively quiet but show that he will be a force in MLS. Frings will breakup some plays, have a few beautiful touches, but will look a bit lost at the lack of skill on both teams and at that he hasn't quite exactly got the MLS style down just yet. I think he'll take a set piece or two and have the best two efforts off a set piece this year (maybe aside from Sturgis off the crossbar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team will be lifted by the on field presence of Frings and Koevermans. DK will start fast and aggressive as will Frings who will be promptly yellow carded. The crowd will react and momentum will build around the pitch and in the stands.

Dallas will be taken aback a bit. Plata will start making deep runs and cutting in looking for DK. This will result in a goal in the first half.

The second half will start slower and TFC will start to fall into it's regular 2nd half lull. Frings will try to up the tempo as he observes the team do what he has been warned they do. The other players will press harder and we will almost concede on the counter. The rest of the game will be tense and we will just squeeze by with the 1 nil win despite late pressure from Dallas.

or something like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings and Koevermans will play most of the full 90. Both players will recieve too much attention from Dallas. Plata will be the benefactor of this and knock in 2.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving the optimism in here. We have a shot at a win. 2-1 TFC final.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings will move the ball well but won't be noticed much. Koevermans will come on strong early but miss a bunch of chances.

We lose 2-1 on a Plata goal early in the second half. Dallas score the first two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Frings getting booked and FREAKING out at the ref in the later stages of a hard fought 2-1 TFC win in front of a sell out crowd. Koevermans will score on a penalty for being taken down by an out-muscled and frustrated FCD defender and will play a large role setting JDG up for his first goal in....for friking ever!

That is, if JDG plays at all!

Side note: If we are going to make the play-offs (not likely) we'll need all 3 DP's to play a major role in every match from here on in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kovermans cuts a lonely figure up front most of the game as he is getting no service from the midfield. He makes well timed runs that no one sees. We do see a bit of quality hold up play from him.

Frings looks average in the midfield. Not great, but not bad. He'll probably have the same issues most higher quality players have coming into this league. He will make passes into space where players should be but are not. He will probably get frustrated with someone at least once. I suspect he will also get a yellow card.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    On July 20th, BMO Field will be sold out. The atmosphere will be reminiscent of the good old days. The excitement surrounding the debut of our heralded designated players will be palpable in the stands.

TFC's lineup will feature our best starting 11, minus Eckersley, who will be serving a suspension. Torsten Frings will quickly emerge as the greatest field general in the history of the squad, breaking up plays, initiating counter attacks, directing traffic, and instilling confidence in his teammates. Danny Koevermans will impose his menacing frame in the offensive third of the pitch, outmuscling opposing defenders, holding his ground, and distributing with precision. TFC creates a few chances in the first half but fails to convert. The score will be nil-nil at half time.

In the second half, the squad seems to have more cohesion, and begins to dominate possession. Plata gets fouled just outside the box. Frings steps up and delivers a world class free kick into the top corner. The crowd goes wild, as TFC takes a 1-0 lead. TFC continues to press, and several minutes later, JDG spots Koevermans open and delivers a perfect long ball, which Koevermans controls with ease, then turns, and blasts a cannon into the far side to take a 2-0 lead.

At this point, the supporter groups have already started songs and chants dedicated to their new found heroes. The last 20 minutes of the match is a wonderful chorus of joy and celebration, marking the beginning of a new era. TFC is one of the big boys now.

Ensco, I prefer Heineken, so you'll have to buy me that pint outside the stadium.
    Co-sign. Gave me chills.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading this board, I start to fear we will lose 6-0 and both DPs will be Mista version 2.0 coached by a chimpanzee with no football brain.

However ManUtd4Ever's picture is like a bright sunny summer breeze after a storm. Yes, it can happen!
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-12-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, so even though our goal differential is a frightening -19...frings AND kovermans score, look like saviors and we win 2-0.

actually just saw MANU4EVERS post and dont want to lose this on style, so i add a sparkling backbreaker 3rd goal by plata!!!
    what. fresh.
    Last edited by P-NUTZ; 07-12-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Heathen

I'm looking forward to see how JDG and Frings are setup, still unsure about which will be the DM and which takes a more advanced role.
    My prediction Koeverman's scores and sets up 1, we win 2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings has a solid game, with decent distribution but nothing spectacular. Koeverman doesn't start the game, but he doesn't have to, coming in for the second half, scoring 2 and giving TFC a much needed 3 points in a 2-0 win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    I'm looking forward to see how JDG and Frings are setup, still unsure about which will be the DM and which takes a more advanced role.
    My prediction Koeverman's scores and sets up 1, we win 2-1
    Frings and JDG will hook up really well this way...

In the 85th minute, with TFC up 2-0; head coach Aron Winter will sub Frings off for JDG to help kill time, insert fresh legs, and reward Frings for running his ass off all match...

At the pass, Frings will double high-five JDG perfectly, before shaking the coaches hand, and watching the club play out 5-mins and stoppage time to win it 2-0...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    After reading this board, I start to fear we will lose 6-0 and both DPs will be Mista version 2.0 coached by a chimpanzee with no football brain.

However ManUtd4Ever's picture is like a bright sunny summer breeze after a storm. Yes, it can happen!
    I think both will be highly effective players for us. I just think a bedding in period is going to happen while they get their match fitness up, adjust to the team and adjust to the league.

I don't expect fireworks right away (although I hope I'm wrong).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this talk about Frings is going to send me to Harvey's tonight for dinner...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game gets abandoned due to weather. But i'll be at Joe's in a red poncho waiting at the bar for my free pint of Stella Artois.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJBX View Post

We draw this match 1-1

I agree with this.

I think we can take a point here. I think the players will be too unfamiliar with each other to gel completely by this point. But the quality of the new DPs will have an impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny + Soolsma = !!!!!!!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I thought there was talk that Koevermans wasn't match fit since he hadn't played a lot this year. He'll start but won't finish the match.

I can see Frings playing the whole match.

I see a draw. (Most MLS matches are anyway.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frings will come out hard, trying to make an impact on the game, and get an early yellow. He will take every free kick and corner that truly has a scoring opportunity attached to it. His game will be simple, ball winner with some simple passing options. He'll freak out on the ref late in the game, earning himself a second yellow to leave the game with 10 minutes left. No goals, no assists.

Koevermans will start the game without getting any service, and by halftime will be frustrated that he isn't getting any service. He'll come out in the second half trying to do too much himself, but allowing the wingers to get involved more as he drops deep. Finally some crosses will be coming into the box, but Koevermans will have dropped so far back, that he'll be late getting onto them. He'll get one of two clear cut chances at net, but no sure goal scoring opportunities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect we'll see something like this for a starting lineup.

Plata---------Danny K----------Soolsma
    Yourassowki------------Tchani--------
    ---------------Frings------------------
    Borman---Henry----Harden------Gargan
    --------------Frei----------------------

In the future I'd like to see any combination of players that keep Tchani, Youassowski, and Borman off the field.