Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount of money i've wasted on Bas Ent and Hitachi memorabilia. I could've fed a small soup kitchen.
    Last edited by Gazza; 07-19-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    Molinaro just tweeted that he isn't coming.
    Good on J-Mo, getting out in front of his own rumour mill, to insist that all of those things he said are untrue, haha.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss Bas Ent, what a legend he could have been.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll address this more later when I have time, but I don't think I ever insisted that Hatchi was coming to Toronto.

My original report was that the club was negotiating with Hatchi. The club denied it and I ran my story based on very good sources with intimate knowledge of the talks, plus one other piece of info.

I included their denial in my original story. So I didn't hide that they said it was BS, unlike a lot of other journos would have.

Things change all the time, and in this case they signed Iro and/or maybe they rethought Hatchi's track record and changed their mind.

The point is that I still stand by the original article: that TFC was negotiating with Hatchi and that at the time a deal could have been announced soon.

I will take responsibility for one thing: when I tweeted last week that Hatchi was coming on Friday, I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean to suggest that he would be unveiled as a TFC player on Friday, but that he was coming to Toronto, presumably to continue talks.

I think that led to some confusion and the idea that I insisted he was signing with the club, even though Mariner denied it. So that's fully on me: I should have been more clear with what I meant to say. Full apologies.

Hopefully you know me enough and are familair with my body of work over the years that to know that I am not the kind to publish rumours, speculation or gossip.

I can address this more thoroughly later on this evening if you'd like, so I'll check back in a few hours.

John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just having some fun, John, haha.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, John. Sounds reasonable to me. Close thread?
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no worries and definitely appreciate the explanation.
    always a good look from a journalist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I was just having some fun, John, haha.

- Scott
    No, I know you were kidding, dude. It's all good. I wasn't responding to your post but just to a general audience.

At the end of the day, I am accountable to readers such as yourselves. I think I've said it before here, but I am not above criticism or scrutiny.

So if some of you have questions or doubts, about this or any story I have ever written, I have absolutely no problem coming on here and addressing them.

I pride myself on not being so far removed from readers that I feel no need to explain myself. That's not the kind of journalist I am.

John
    Last edited by johnmolinaro; 07-19-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate the clarification about what you meant regarding Hatchi being in Toronto on Friday. The rest doesn't really require explanation. Sometimes negotiations work out, sometimes they don't.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I appreciate the clarification about what you meant regarding Hatchi being in Toronto on Friday. The rest doesn't really require explanation. Sometimes negotiations work out, sometimes they don't.

- Scott
    Exactly - sometimes negotiations don't work out.

as for "The rest doesn't really require explanation," fair enough that you feel that way.

But my offer still stands: email, PM or come on here and post a message if you ever have a question about something I have written/reported.

I feel I have a responsibility to do so, especially with my regular readership.

OK?

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The relationship that you've forged with this message board is pretty cool John. Personally I think it's great to have you on here and get a journalists perspective on the ongoings with TFC.

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth when I titled this thread. It was just my opinion that you were 'insisting' not a quote that you were insisting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    can we start an appreciation thread for him?
    Wall of Honour too soon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Wall of Honour too soon?
    Nobody's ever too soon for the wall of honour. Just ask the front office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh jOhn, s'all good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes things don't work out. Just ask Carlos Tevez, who was almost a Corinthians player for like 36 hours this week (and Kia Joorabchian, who can now count all the agent fees he's not getting).

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    I'll address this more later when I have time, but I don't think I ever insisted that Hatchi was coming to Toronto.

My original report was that the club was negotiating with Hatchi. The club denied it and I ran my story based on very good sources with intimate knowledge of the talks, plus one other piece of info.

I included their denial in my original story. So I didn't hide that they said it was BS, unlike a lot of other journos would have.

Things change all the time, and in this case they signed Iro and/or maybe they rethought Hatchi's track record and changed their mind.

The point is that I still stand by the original article: that TFC was negotiating with Hatchi and that at the time a deal could have been announced soon.

I will take responsibility for one thing: when I tweeted last week that Hatchi was coming on Friday, I wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean to suggest that he would be unveiled as a TFC player on Friday, but that he was coming to Toronto, presumably to continue talks.

I think that led to some confusion and the idea that I insisted he was signing with the club, even though Mariner denied it. So that's fully on me: I should have been more clear with what I meant to say. Full apologies.

Hopefully you know me enough and are familair with my body of work over the years that to know that I am not the kind to publish rumours, speculation or gossip.

I can address this more thoroughly later on this evening if you'd like, so I'll check back in a few hours.

John
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lol - Molinaro just tweeted that TFC has now 'singed' Eddy Viator... get it ? Burned by bad info ? Singed ? Aha Aha Aha....
    Last edited by TOBOR !; 07-20-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate that John comes on and clarifies things. He has done so for me in the past when I have questioned an article. I wish more journalists had the balls to stand by their writing and provide explanations to their readers.

Kudos John.