Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today's News,Monday,July.11

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty good article. If there was one player that I would trade for, it would be Brej Shea. He is very versatile (can play wing, or defense) and is very young. I watched the highlights from the gen adidas tour of Spain and Brek was a standout. He played CB during the tour and his coach at Dallas says his talents are more suited at CB than LM. I don't know who we'd have to trade for him but I would try to trade two or even three first round picks and maybe some allocation money for him. He is solid and probably the only CB I would trade for in the MLS right now

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/mor...on-shutout.ece

Link above is the article where Brek's coach says he's beeter suited at CB

DAL Shea Brek M-D $ 100,000.00 $ 133,000.00
    Last edited by David_Oliveira; 07-11-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston report and musing on who to offer for a trade.

let's face it, we don't have many attractive players to offer. Frei, Tchani, Plata? Best bet for the centrepiece of a trade might be Gordon, if he's going to be second behind koevermans, may be best to see what we can get for him.

Brek Shea? maybe before this year, but he's having a great season, no way they'll let him go now.

NY needs a goalie. Frei for Tim Ream? (with probably some allocation money, other players or draft picks in thrown in from our end).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    NY needs a goalie. Frei for Tim Ream? (with probably some allocation money, other players or draft picks in thrown in from our end).
    A friend of mine has been suggesting we trade Frei for the best CB in the league (whoever that might be)

IF we get a greatly improved defensive line, then the keeper wont be tested as much as Frei.

personally, I'd hate to see him go as he's probably my favorite player,
    but I understand how the league works and know that everyone has a price.

again, I'd hate to see him go, but if we could get a bonanza in return.... ?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's face it, we don't have many attractive players to offer. Frei, Tchani, Plata? Best bet for the centrepiece of a trade might be Gordon, if he's going to be second behind koevermans, may be best to see what we can get for him.
    NCAA draft picks could also be part of the mix. TFC have two first round picks for 2012 right now given RBNY's was part of the DeRosario trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm willing to bet that, having heard that TFC is looking to make some trades, the rest of the teams in the league are hastily assembling lovingly decorated bags of balls to send our way as their half of the deal. Mariner... your time is now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    A friend of mine has been suggesting we trade Frei for the best CB in the league (whoever that might be)

IF we get a greatly improved defensive line, then the keeper wont be tested as much as Frei.

I think this could easily happen. In order to get quality you need to give quality, and Frei is one of the few quality players we have.

If we improve the backline but weaken at the GK position we will probably be a better team overall. Won't be popular with the supporters when it happens, but if we stop leaking goals at the rate we are, it will be quickly forgotten.

Problem is, we then also need to fill the GK position as well - either a starter or a backup if Kosic is handed the job.

NYRB are the team that comes to mind that desperately need a quality keeper. I could see them trying to bring Sutton back in the move if possible to address the keeper issue as well (would need to shift another player out for roster space I think). Bringing back a former fan favorite might also be seen as a way to soften the blow of moving Frei.

Do they have a CB they would potentially move that would fit our needs? Ream good enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the big question, is Kocic ready and up to the starters role...

If he is, than I could see trade discussions at least happening - whether a deal is made is anyone's guess - but the chatter could be there...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ethier Gordon or Santos are leaving. Bank on that. With Kovermans coming in to take up the bulk of minites it wouldnt even be wise to have both of them on the bench nevermind the roster. They're all target men.
    I expect one of them and ethier a first round pick or allocation to be traded for a CB.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    .... Ream good enough?
    yes* he's good, and young so potentially getting better, and could be a rock for years to come if he doesn't get good enough to go to europe.

*the asterisk to that is that he's young. playing well at New York beside Rafa Marquez is one thing, but coming over here to be The Man in tfc's shaky defence, that's a tough assignment for anyone. I think Frei looks worse than he is because of playing with TFC, same could happen with Ream, or any other player we bring in. we are a poisoned chalice.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to agree with the possibility of a Frei trade. He is not very happy right now. And there might be teams looking to pay for a quality keeper. Unfortunately NY is one of those teams and they have been making costly moves that have eaten up both cap space and prospects. Do they have anything left in the tank to give in return? I know they value Ream a lot and I doubt they'd give up one of their only quality defenders for a keeper, especially if Sutz shows he can be steady back there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Players with trade value:

Borman ($42K) (International) - throw in for allocation
    Frei ($100K) (Green Card?) - starter plus allocation/picks
    Harden ($65K) (Domestic) - late draft pick - supplementary draft
    Gargam ($70K) (Domestic) - late draft pick - supplementary draft
    Omphroy ($42K) (Domestic) - late draft pick
    Peterson ($142.5K) (Domestic) - mid round draft pick/allocation
    Gordon ($96.5K) (Domestic) - a starter
    Santos ($126K) (Domestic) - allocation/draft picks
    Sturgis ($85K) (Domestic) - a starter maybe?
    Tchani (GA) (Green Card?) - a starter plus allocation

trade draft picks and allocation money for others or go outside the league using allocation.

I know people in Toronto won't agree with Harden, Gargan, and Peterson having trade value. But around MLS I think that Harden and Peterson will - Gargan, maybe not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I'd have to agree with the possibility of a Frei trade. He is not very happy right now. And there might be teams looking to pay for a quality keeper. Unfortunately NY is one of those teams and they have been making costly moves that have eaten up both cap space and prospects. Do they have anything left in the tank to give in return? I know they value Ream a lot and I doubt they'd give up one of their only quality defenders for a keeper, especially if Sutz shows he can be steady back there.
    Don't think NY trusts Sutton, he only got his job back because of Bouna's mistakes.

Ream ($55K) + Sutton ($75.6K) + allocation for Frei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All indications on the rumor mill (for what it's worth) say that they don't trust Sutton or Condul, and are looking to bring in a keeper.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do agree that they lack complete confidence in Sutz, but it's pick your poison for them. Ream is highly touted and they need him on the backline, especially with Marquez out injured. I would argue they need him even moreso than a quality keeper like Frei. I highly doubt they give up Ream for Frei in a straight-swap. We'd have to give them more. We'd have to give them real cap space. Maybe Nouvinho's suggestion of taking on Sutz makes sense but I would guess that NY would want even more breathing room. I think we'd have to take on Sutz and give them either a draft pick or allocation.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 07-11-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad we got rid of Conway. I'd take him over Sutton any day of the week.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see them trying to bring Sutton back in the move if possible to address the keeper issue as well (would need to shift another player out for roster space I think). Bringing back a former fan favorite might also be seen as a way to soften the blow of moving Frei.
    on the other side.... it would look like a step backwards, and no fan (of any sport/team/league) would like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to agree with the possibility of a Frei trade.
    But this would not help us at all. I see no real difference between a strong keeper and a weak back line and a strong back line and a weak keeper. I'd be very, very dissapointed if Frei was traded. It would smack of desperation and it would not help turn this team around (unless we got three very high quality defenders for him... then I'll rethink my position). Our major problems remain

1. getting the ball into the final third
    2. Finishing those chances.

If we start scoring 2-3 goals per game it won't matter if we continue to let in 1-2 per game. Just about every rebuilding phase we've gone through has focused on strengthenging the back line. This current version of TFC can already stifle a game for stretches, but that is the only trick they have and other teams simply need 20 - 40 minutes to figure us out and then they can attack with impunity (it isn't like our "counter-attack" is something to be feared!). If we added another dimension, we'd be tougher to deal with. Let's get some people in who can break up attacks in the midfield and keep the pressure in the other half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Ethier Gordon or Santos are leaving. Bank on that. With Kovermans coming in to take up the bulk of minites it wouldnt even be wise to have both of them on the bench nevermind the roster. They're all target men.
    I expect one of them and ethier a first round pick or allocation to be traded for a CB.
    Tough to trade Gordon right now...

I know he's great on the pitch, but he's useless to a team in the doctors office...

Most GM's don't trade for damaged goods to often - or offer very little in return...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bangersandmash View Post
    But this would not help us at all. I see no real difference between a strong keeper and a weak back line and a strong back line and a weak keeper. I'd be very, very dissapointed if Frei was traded. It would smack of desperation and it would not help turn this team around (unless we got three very high quality defenders for him... then I'll rethink my position). Our major problems remain

1. getting the ball into the final third
    2. Finishing those chances.

If we start scoring 2-3 goals per game it won't matter if we continue to let in 1-2 per game. Just about every rebuilding phase we've gone through has focused on strengthenging the back line. This current version of TFC can already stifle a game for stretches, but that is the only trick they have and other teams simply need 20 - 40 minutes to figure us out and then they can attack with impunity (it isn't like our "counter-attack" is something to be feared!). If we added another dimension, we'd be tougher to deal with. Let's get some people in who can break up attacks in the midfield and keep the pressure in the other half.
    agreed that our offense needs massive improvements.

but... if a solid defensive line means that a keeper is only tested once or twice per game, and never left hanging.... then a 'mid quality' keeper will do just fine.

but yeah, losing Frei for anything less than 100% proven, solid gold, Grade-A #Winning would be a mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed that our offense needs massive improvements.

but... if a solid defensive line means that a keeper is only tested once or twice per game, and never left hanging.... then a 'mid quality' keeper will do just fine.

but yeah, losing Frei for anything less than 100% proven, solid gold, Grade-A #Winning would be a mistake.
    This is where the risk in moving Frei comes in. If they don't get the right player in at the back, or even if they do and it's not enough to shore up the back line, we have just made ourselves significantly worse. It would be a high risk trade, no doubt about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is where the risk in moving Frei comes in. If they don't get the right player in at the back, or even if they do and it's not enough to shore up the back line, we have just made ourselves significantly worse. It would be a high risk trade, no doubt about it.
    Very high risk. Given that our academy seems to be graduating decent talent, I'd be tempted to offer a package involving a high draft pick (if we have one) to get a really solid attacking mid or swift winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point though, the defense is in shambles with the injuries and a "decent keeper" with a stud defender would probably be better than Frei and a bunch of shit in front of him. I mean, Frei has to make those brilliant saves only because of catastrophic breakdowns at the back. Look at a guy like Tally Hall in Houston. Not a great keeper, a no-name really. But Houston is organized and has some decent defenders so he looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    Players with trade value:

Borman ($42K) (International) - throw in for allocation
    Frei ($100K) (Green Card?) - starter plus allocation/picks
    Harden ($65K) (Domestic) - late draft pick - supplementary draft
    Gargam ($70K) (Domestic) - late draft pick - supplementary draft
    Omphroy ($42K) (Domestic) - late draft pick
    Peterson ($142.5K) (Domestic) - mid round draft pick/allocation
    Gordon ($96.5K) (Domestic) - a starter
    Santos ($126K) (Domestic) - allocation/draft picks
    Sturgis ($85K) (Domestic) - a starter maybe?
    Tchani (GA) (Green Card?) - a starter plus allocation

trade draft picks and allocation money for others or go outside the league using allocation.

I know people in Toronto won't agree with Harden, Gargan, and Peterson having trade value. But around MLS I think that Harden and Peterson will - Gargan, maybe not so much.
    I believe Tchani and Borman both have green cards. So they'll count as domestic players.

Anyway, I except something to happen (not sure it will be major or not) in a few days. Tchani has a lot of value and I think we can get a decent CB (Jakovic?) in return. Other players is going to be hard to trade to get some value back in return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speculation or you know something we don't here?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Speculation or you know something we don't here?

he certainly looks pretty dejected on the field, as if he's despairing of the team in front of him and the job he's been asked to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he certainly looks pretty dejected on the field, as if he's despairing of the team in front of him and the job he's been asked to do.
    Ya, I don't think there's a keeper in the world that wouldn't look dejected having to deal with what Frei has to game-in / game-out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Ya, I don't think there's a keeper in the world that wouldn't look dejected having to deal with what Frei has to game-in / game-out...
    When he moves to a new club, he'll at least be capable of dealing with all sorts of defensive breakdowns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for considering my suggestion

TotalFootball (formely Tintin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Especially on Saturday, when Houston's goalie did not have to make one freakin save.