Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 60
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question BMO Field - Naming Rights on our BRAND New ROOF

    ok ok ok . . so, we're not officially getting a roof. . . but. .
    with all the talk in the press in Tdot about Naming rights of subways, parks, public spaces. .

    seeing as how BMO field is part owned operated by the City, surely BMO field woudl be a PRIME place to run an experiment on these types of initiatives.

    Check out St JAMES PARK in Newcastle, and their SPORTS DIRECT.com roof



    Now I would not care if the gorgeous, sound amplifying structure above me plastered with some logo, or painted in corporate colours of some kind, hell even call it the "Molson end" or "Rogers Roof" or whatever.

    I hope that MLSE / TFC are looking at further development of the ground.
    I woudl think that a roof is Waaaaaay down on the priorities list BUT . maybe an influx of private sector $$ would change that?

    Maybe a fan initiative could help in sourcing the funds for a roof / improvements?

    (Seeing Red Bull Area last night, really highlighted BMO fields umm. . .. . short falls)
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just don't hire the folks that worked on FC Twente's roof. Otherwise, it's a great idea.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A roof would be amazing. I would re-purchase season tickets again.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SKINT
    Posts
    1,692
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Red Roof Inns should sponsor this.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    t.dot
    Posts
    7,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    thing is with st. james park, there is not official sponsor for the naming of the stadium

    bmo field on the other hand is exactly that...i wouldn't be surprised if BMO's rights include not naming sections of the stadiums...thats unfortunately the downfall with naming rights; all these restrictions

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I cry a little inside evertime I see that pic of St. James Park.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,676
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the way fan interest is plummeting, there would not be any need for a roof cause there won't be anybody around to get cold and wet

  8. #8
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sec. 112
    Posts
    2,517
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    the way fan interest is plummeting, there would not be any need for a roof cause there won't be anybody around to get cold and wet
    TFC Attendance..

    Current 2010 Diff All-Time Diff
    19730 20497 -3.7% 20122 -1.9%

    I think we're over-exaggerating the plummeting fan interest.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitby Ontario
    Posts
    1,629
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I tried getting a group pack of seats for a game in late August. I was turned away by the rep I talked too, because he didn't have enough seats to give me. I was even willing to split the group up, but he had said they were nearly sold out.

    It may not look like the place is full, but the tickets have been selling.

  10. #10
    Awaiting Confirmation
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If there were designated away supporters ends in MLS stadia, it would be difficult to beat what Motherwell did in terms of finding a rood ad sponsor over in Scotland:



    Was surprised they got away with it given the PC times we live in.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    East York
    Posts
    606
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default


  12. #12
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    thing is with st. james park, there is not official sponsor for the naming of the stadium
    Officially, it is 'sportsdirect.com@StJames'ParkStadium'

    They plopped in the north stand without incident. .
    thing is a roof is just a needless expense in the eyes of the bottom line. .

    Does Toyota park (Chi Fire) have a roof?

    and speak of the devil:

    Man City rename Eastlands stadium
    Manchester City confirm the City of Manchester Stadium will be renamed the Etihad Stadium, after making a 10-year deal with the airline.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    TFC Attendance..

    Current 2010 Diff All-Time Diff
    19730 20497 -3.7% 20122 -1.9%

    I think we're over-exaggerating the plummeting fan interest.
    You actually think they average 19000 a game? That's tickets sold. They're lucky to have 14,000 in the park on any given game day. No one gives a crap about the team anymore except for the supporters sections. It use to be the "thing" to go to BMO and catch a game. Now people are better off watching a youth league game than that trash.

    I can't even name half the starting 11 because it changes so much and to be honest, I haven't caught an entire game this season. And this is coming from someone who was a die-hard fan the first four years. I can't imagine a fairweather fan knowing anyone other than Frei. I miss the first few years where win/lose/draw I didn't care about the result. I wanted to see the players develop. Now, it's still the same crap, and I'm not willing to test my patience.

  14. #14
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    SSH 2015 - SEC 111
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As a frustrated member of the gold waiting list, it is annoying to see so many empty seats each gameday. Mainly because I am willing to purchase them as seasons tickets, though apparently, even though they have been empty every game except LA, they are not for sale.
    As for the stadium, the only improvement they have made in 5 seasons was putting in grass. And the only reason they put in grass, was they were sitting on all of that transfer money that had to go to stadium improvements. Lets face it, TFC play in a glorified temporary stadium which is quickly becoming one of MLS' worst as other teams move into new facilities. Not to mention, they built the north stand and charge 50 dollars a ticket. Any additional improvements will likely be an excuse to raise ticket prices.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    in your head
    Posts
    9,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeninatoTFC View Post
    You actually think they average 19000 a game? That's tickets sold. They're lucky to have 14,000 in the park on any given game day.
    Every season since 2007 somebody has come on these boards and said attendance wasn't what it was reported. It's like a broken record.

    I think people need to realize that attendance doesn't deserve the attention people are giving it every week. MLS is a revenue sharing league. Teams have survived for 16 years with attendances worse than TFC has ever had.

    Don't worry about it.

  16. #16
    Awaiting Confirmation
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    132
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    As a frustrated member of the gold waiting list, it is annoying to see so many empty seats each gameday. Mainly because I am willing to purchase them as seasons tickets, though apparently, even though they have been empty every game except LA, they are not for sale.
    As for the stadium, the only improvement they have made in 5 seasons was putting in grass. And the only reason they put in grass, was they were sitting on all of that transfer money that had to go to stadium improvements. Lets face it, TFC play in a glorified temporary stadium which is quickly becoming one of MLS' worst as other teams move into new facilities. Not to mention, they built the north stand and charge 50 dollars a ticket. Any additional improvements will likely be an excuse to raise ticket prices.

    if you want my advice stay on the gold list......you can go to all the games you want for half about half the price.....and you won't be stuck with any you can't get rid of.....and trust me, you can't get rid of them this year.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think Cardiff City may of been one of the first teams to have adds on there roof back at there old stadium years ago.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    everyone is freaking out because the support aint what it use to be. and other teams like portland and seattle got better attendence and better atmospheres at there games and we once use to have the best atmosphere and fans want that back.

  19. #19
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,776
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was at Brightons new 22,000 seat atadium. . makes BMO look like the back side of a recycling plant. . .

    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    I was at Brightons new 22,000 seat atadium. . makes BMO look like the back side of a recycling plant. . .

    Holy shit that's gorgeous. Thanks. Now I'm depressed.

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's another view:

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Back in the day (only 4 years ago!) BMO was apretty decent stadium (or maybe we thought so because it was one of the few SSS). Today, it's like that an old pair of jeans, with a few too many stains, that looks like shite compared to the new fashion out there.

    I am extremely jealous of Sporting KC's new park, even though I wouldn't trade my memories from BMO for anything.

    BMO could be altered with a roof over each side... but ideally it should be leveled and rebuilt properly. Know any billionaires that can do that?

    It's a damn shame the city was involved right from the start on this project.
    Here in Ottawa, we can't even renovate the football stadium, that will be home to a NASL franchise. And unfortunately, Melnyk's proposal to build a modern SSS near Scotiabank Place was thrown out. Part of a bigger problem in Canada.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lerxst View Post
    Here's another view:
    Bellissimo!

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vergilg View Post
    Back in the day (only 4 years ago!) BMO was apretty decent stadium (or maybe we thought so because it was one of the few SSS). Today, it's like that an old pair of jeans, with a few too many stains, that looks like shite compared to the new fashion out there.

    I am extremely jealous of Sporting KC's new park, even though I wouldn't trade my memories from BMO for anything.

    BMO could be altered with a roof over each side... but ideally it should be leveled and rebuilt properly. Know any billionaires that can do that?

    It's a damn shame the city was involved right from the start on this project.
    Here in Ottawa, we can't even renovate the football stadium, that will be home to a NASL franchise. And unfortunately, Melnyk's proposal to build a modern SSS near Scotiabank Place was thrown out. Part of a bigger problem in Canada.
    Dude it was shit from the outset.
    Only thing camouflaged it was that people were happy we had anything!
    Now that the euphoria has washed off, finally some people are coming to the senses and see how we got hosed on the stadium.

  25. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Dude it was shit from the outset.
    Only thing camouflaged it was that people were happy we had anything!
    Now that the euphoria has washed off, finally some people are coming to the senses and see how we got hosed on the stadium.

    Dude, read my first sentence - I echo your sentiment.

    And if you read a little further, I'm saying it was doomed from the beginning because you had government involved. The design was doomed. We had a carpet instead of grass for playing surface, and I'm not even going to go into specifics like no roof, washroom accessibility, etc.

    But hey, better than nothing.... or is it after the performance of the club over the last 4 years?!

  26. #26
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario
    Posts
    12,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^^

    I think we're stuck with BMO. Where would we move? We can't just demolish the thing and expect it to be ready by the following season. We're stuck with that .... place .... for at least another 10-15 years.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vergilg View Post
    Dude, read my first sentence - I echo your sentiment.

    And if you read a little further, I'm saying it was doomed from the beginning because you had government involved. The design was doomed. We had a carpet instead of grass for playing surface, and I'm not even going to go into specifics like no roof, washroom accessibility, etc.

    But hey, better than nothing.... or is it after the performance of the club over the last 4 years?!
    You can't blame it on the government per se, as a blanket statement. heck it was the various governments that came up with the major bulk of the cash to build. Governments have also been involved in other MLS SSS. Governments are involved in stadiums all over Europe. What we can blame the government for is letting MLSE go cheapo on the final product that came to be.

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    23,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Biggest city in Canada, Top 5 market in N.A. And what we get?

    Tin Can

  29. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,706
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^^ What people conveniently forget is that MLSE (Yes, those awful guys!!) took a risk of building our beloved 'tin can' to house a sport that hadn't achieved any level of success in this city, and arguably at the time any success on this continent.

    For all their faults, I think they get a pass on BMO.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In a chat I had with Paul Beirne earlier this season down at the stadium the topic got around to the roof and if it was doable.

    He told me that they have had engineering studies done on putting up a roof over the south end and that it was a surprisingly huge expense to build one. According to the engineers the fact that the ground is built so close to the lake and is in an area of higher than usual prevailing winds in Toronto means that it is not as easy as putting up something real cheap and simple. And they of course have to build it safe.

    In order to make sure that it could deal with the possible wind conditions in the area it would have to be built really massively strong. Paul quoted a figure of roughly $40 million to do it to code. I have no reason to not believe what he told me in an earnest conversation on the topic.

    At that price don't hold your breath. I think the club has a few things they probably want to spend money on first, like the Academy, which is going to cost upwards of $20 million I believe.
    Last edited by bgnewf; 09-02-2011 at 06:14 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •