View Poll Results: Will Toronto FC make the playoffs??

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 11.81%
  • No

239 88.19%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default POLL: Do you honestly believe we'll make the playoffs?

Dead serious. Thanks to this asinine playoff system we're only 3 points out of a playoff spot despite a 3-9-8 record.

Given how mindlessly positive at times this board has been despite having no wins outside of Canada, does anyone honestly think that this team is going to be a playoff team just by adding Frings and Koevermans and getting our injured players back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never thought we would make the playoff since game 1. I do think by Winter's 2nd season, we'll play better as a team, playoff still up in the air. Winter's 3rd season has to go to at least conference final, or it is another 3 years of my life spent on this team bring up the total to 8 and a time to call it quits, lol
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but I think we can do some damage in the CCL group stage if we get past Real Esteli.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 07-07-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The standings lie because all the teams in front of TFC have games in hand.

Besides, TFC will probably need more than 25 points in the last 14 games to make the playoffs. That means 7 or 8 wins in 14 games.

We are simply too far behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I'd like to stay positive my answer would be somewhere along the lines of "no way in hell". If we make the playoffs please feel to bring this thread up and rub my face in it - I'd love to be proven wrong.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we can. But my world is full of sunshine and fucking lollipops.

Besides, until it is mathematically impossible... Technically we can

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahahahahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very slim chance, but not likely.

Won't hold my breath - voted NO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God damn people I made this poll 5 minutes ago and it had 14 responses.

My answer for the record is not a chance in hell. It's highly likely we finish dead last in the league. We're not good enough and you should all listen to Roogsy more.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    Never thought we would make the playoff since game 1.
    +1. Actually Charleston convinced me that our backline was crap. Have seen nothing different since.

We won't be in last place, though. Vancouver is worse than us, so is New England.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nope.

But I knew that going into the season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, how many "mindlessly positive" posts do you read a day? Because the .003% that I read a day may seem out of character for the teams standings but is a god damn breath of fresh air. Sorry for the outburst, but I don't yearn for the board to be homogeneous with negativity OR positivity.

That done, I don't expect playoffs. I hope for a place that would qualify us.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I said "at times" not a day. I swear I read posts here talking about Frings and Koevermans coming along off a V-Cup win being the "turning point in our season".

We've lowered our standards so much that we're content with a draw practically every game we play.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never thought we would make the playoff since game 1. I do think by Winter's 2nd season, we'll play better as a team, playoff still up in the air. Winter's 3rd season has to go to at least conference final, or it is another 3 years of my life spent on this team bring up the total to 8 and a time to call it quits, lol
    Winter won't get a 3rd season if this team misses the playoffs next year too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

facts:

1. we're tied for first for most games played thus far, the team we're tied with is the first place LA galaxy who literally have double our point total.
    2. the teams behind us have as many as FOUR games in hand.
    3. we've got fixture congestion with the champions league in addition
    4. we're still shaking of the boatload of injuries that paramount to a whole starting XI.
    5. you need 40 points to realistically have a shot at a playoff spot, something we have yet to accomplish.
    6. to meet the above criteria, we'd have to win 8 of our next 10 games.
    7. the bulk of our home games are behind us.

welcome to fucktown!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post

Quoted for Awesome. This is the One, True, Sunshine Girl.

Bask in her light. etc

Feels like playoffs.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Heathen

Funny how people look at the table see we're only 3 points behind but fail to notice games played and where the home/road makeup of the rest of our schedule.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be interesting to know how many predicted the playoffs before the season. Was there a poll for that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    Funny how people look at the table see we're only 3 points behind but fail to notice games played and where the home/road makeup of the rest of our schedule.

So, those teams with games in hand can collapse, too, they can get injuries and no team in this league has much depth.

Yes, TFC can still make the playoffs. It'll come down to, as it always does, the last two or three games of the season. Look at the teams that have slipped into the playoffs and then gone to the Cup in this league. In MLS there really isn't much of a difference in skill between making the playoffs and missing by a few points, it really does come down to, as cliche as it is, the teams that want it the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to many traditionalists on this board, MLS shouldn't even have playoffs as playoffs are a north american concoction.... so not making the playoffs wouldn't disappoint those people, right?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    So, those teams with games in hand can collapse, too, they can get injuries and no team in this league has much depth.
    Teams will collapse for sure.

The problem for TFC is that it essentially needs 6 teams to collapse, combined with a turn in form rarely seen by this club.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Teams will collapse for sure.

The problem for TFC is that it essentially needs 6 teams to collapse, combined with a turn in form rarely seen by this club.
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    Winter won't get a 3rd season if this team misses the playoffs next year too.
    Then it is all instant gratification over long term sustainability yet again, a queue to give up on this team. The man has a 3 year contract, I'll see after year 3. So far I've seen progress, albeit slow and painful, in the way the team is playing together.

Winter started with a plate of crap (other expansion started with a clean plate). A pile of crap does not attract quality but other crap. The players he brought on board initially are not top notch MLS quality players but it is what it is given the crap of a team this is. Later on, with addition of Ecks, Frings, and Koevanmans coming in (Stevanovic didn't work out), the quality is improving, but still over all a crappy team.

We are still losing games, fine, but they are creating more chances with open play than before. It'll be a year lost in the right cause. First 5 years are lost since there wasn't a real concrete plan in place.

We'll see.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then it is all instant gratification over long term sustainability yet again, a queue to give up on this team. The man has a 3 year contract, I'll see after year 3. So far I've seen progress, albeit slow and painful, in the way the team is playing together.
    It shouldn't take 2 years to make the playoffs for an established MLS club. Particularly one that has the financial wherewithal to carry 3 DPs, in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs.

I wouldn't call that instant gratification. More like demanding accountability.

Besides, I'm puzzled by people who claim they see progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. But, like others, I didn't expect to. I'm more worried whether or not we'll get 7 points in the 14 remaining games. If we get less points than in 2007, there's going to be some blowback from that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25 points out of our last 14 games would only give us a 50/50 chance of making the playoffs. We need 26 points to get into 75/25 territory. That's 8 wins 2 draws and 4 losses. I think this is actually tougher than the miracle in Montreal. MIM was just one game, now we need that kind of run over 14 games.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html and don't let the bar graph in here throw you off (it did on me) the graph seems to not drop below a certain level of suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll settle for being "close" to the playoffs next year, but if shit isn't at least that far along at the end of year two, there is no point of year three.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    to many traditionalists on this board, MLS shouldn't even have playoffs as playoffs are a north american concoction.... so not making the playoffs wouldn't disappoint those people, right?

What?????? Does this realy makes sense to you?

I do care more about CL then MLS but, and I do not like the playoff system, but for the league to work in a more traditional football way, there should also be relegation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are still losing games, fine, but they are creating more chances with open play than before. It'll be a year lost in the right cause. First 5 years are lost since there wasn't a real concrete plan in place.

We'll see.
    Is MLS really a long-term-plan league or a scramble-to-fix-holes league? Is there really any reason to believe having this "plan" will work out when the bigger problem is keeping the good players around - no one with any potential wants to sign multi-year deals here.

Is there any reason to think that this plan will ever get over the hump past "creating chances" and actually start winning games?

No one asked the mew management to win a Supporters Shield or MLS Cup this year, but being the 10th best team in MLS should be possible. Other teams have started with as much "crap" as this team had in January (and certainly in November) and made the playoffs.

For some reason before the season finished last year it was decided Preki's plan wasn't going to work out. What makes a plan the relies on a higher calibre of player morelikely to work out?

Anyway, the season starts when the new DPs join the team - that's as good a roster as TFC is ever going to have as long as this salary cap is in place and then it comes down to coaching.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skint View Post
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html and don't let the bar graph in here throw you off (it did on me) the graph seems to not drop below a certain level of suck.
    That site is pretty depressing, but highly interesting.

They have TFC as an 83% chance finishing bottom 3 in the league. That sounds about right to me.