View Poll Results: Will Toronto FC make the playoffs??

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 11.81%
  • No

239 88.19%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how can you have yes or no...i am in between

pathetic options

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    to many traditionalists on this board, MLS shouldn't even have playoffs as playoffs are a north american concoction.... so not making the playoffs wouldn't disappoint those people, right?

they aren't a north american concoction, because in case you havent notcied the championship has them. the league needs a playoffs system. it always has and will for roughly about the next decade.

there's no good reason why we shouldn't have one, except for those who preach that they want it to be more like other leagues.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    to many traditionalists on this board, MLS shouldn't even have playoffs as playoffs are a north american concoction.... so not making the playoffs wouldn't disappoint those people, right?
    Correct.

And I believe they WERE a NA concoction. Not that it was a bad thing at the time. Like Single Entity now, it helped (and still helps) grow money strapped leagues that couldn't spend $$$ (or days) traveling throughout the regular season.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    It shouldn't take 2 years to make the playoffs for an established MLS club. Particularly one that has the financial wherewithal to carry 3 DPs, in a league where over half the teams make the playoffs.

I wouldn't call that instant gratification. More like demanding accountability.

Besides, I'm puzzled by people who claim they see progress.
    Other teams are improving, playing catching up is not easy, the gap won't remain constant.

Progress is not demonstrated by points count this season, it's really how the subtle improvement on playing approach and ability to create open space and options. There were none or not existent during preseason. Now there are able to create chances in the box, (can't finish that's other story), and inconsistent running off the ball are starting to show up. Positioning getting better compare to season start. They were better than when season started. The were still no better than other teams.

Demanding accountability sounds nice and dandy. Ability to improve on a continuous and sustainable pace is the accountability where it addresses issues with solutions. Doesn't matter how minor, but it is getting fixed.

Granted, it's not at a pace that everyone loves to see, but it's the growing pain.

*note, this has nothing to do with MLSE or FO or their shadiness, but just observation from Mariner, Winter and de Klark's approach and actions taken up to date.
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Correct.

And I believe they WERE a NA concoction. Not that it was a bad thing at the time. Like Single Entity now, it helped (and still helps) grow money strapped leagues that couldn't spend $$$ (or days) traveling throughout the regular season.

Actually playoffs started when there were two baseball leagues (both single table) that didn't play against each other and a newspaper sponsored a champsionship series between the two league winners. It took a while for that championship to become a bigger deal than the individual league championships. I guess you can blame the NA fans for liking the knock-out series so much they kept adding more teams to it.

Travel costs and things like that didn't come into play until later when leagues expanded to the west coast (or teams moved there).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted no, but obviously we need to still play our chances as long as we're in the race. However, right now, I think this club would be better served by putting all of our energy and resources into making the CL - and then hopefully pushing past the group stage as well. I'd hate to see us come out of this year with nothing. Right now it's terribly important for TFC to finish the season strong and to give all the supporters a reason to believe that something good is coming around the corner.

The above being said, I'm beginning to worry that Aron Winter is just not cut out for this club.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Actually playoffs started when there were two baseball leagues (both single table) that didn't play against each other and a newspaper sponsored a champsionship series between the two league winners. It took a while for that championship to become a bigger deal than the individual league championships. I guess you can blame the NA fans for liking the knock-out series so much they kept adding more teams to it.

Travel costs and things like that didn't come into play until later when leagues expanded to the west coast (or teams moved there).
    Cool. Thanks. Check yer PM's.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skint View Post
    25 points out of our last 14 games would only give us a 50/50 chance of making the playoffs. We need 26 points to get into 75/25 territory. That's 8 wins 2 draws and 4 losses. I think this is actually tougher than the miracle in Montreal. MIM was just one game, now we need that kind of run over 14 games.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html and don't let the bar graph in here throw you off (it did on me) the graph seems to not drop below a certain level of suck.

That's right, Vancouver has a marginally higher chance of getting into the playoffs than we do.

Our goal for the MLS this season should be to finish higher than Vancouver.

Sidenote: Look at that goal differential. It takes a special kind of suck to be twice the league's second worst.
    Last edited by DichioTFC; 07-07-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh man... here come the fail pictures. LOL

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better than just fail, check out this sweet Torsten Frings facepalm. I'm sure this one will get lots of play this season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

That's right, Vancouver has a marginally higher chance of getting into the playoffs than we do.

Sidenote: Look at that goal differential. It takes a special kind of suck to be twice the league's second worst.
    FAIL.

We're not twice as bad as the 2nd worst. Portland has a -9 differential, we have -17

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh man... that's gold.

That one will be saved for sure.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    how can you have yes or no...i am in between

pathetic options
    get the fuck off the fence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post

Now stare at this chart and say the following line to yourself 10 times.

I'm a paid up season ticket holder and I have to pay full price to see Real Esteli.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with using sportsclubstats is that the guy's record is actually quite poor at predicting things until it gets down to the last few games.

For example, at one point last year he had the Blue Jays having a 95% chance of making the playoffs.

I think the problem is that it doesn't accurately weight for the relative strength of the teams you play.

For example, if NY beats you, that's one thing. If Vancouver or New England beats you, it's something quite different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It also doesn't account for changes made to the teams - TFC will be a very different team for the last half of the season so what happened during the first half isn't really that indicative of what's coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In order to make the playoffs, we have to turn the team around very quickly and go on a run unlike one we have ever been on, and do it with a whole bunch of road games.

We have two DP's coming in which will hopefully help. When the transfer window opens, hopefully Winter and Mariner can shore up the back line when the window opens.

Thing is, any new players we bring in are most likely going to take time to adapt to the team and league (league if not already MLS players). We may luck out, but it's very unlikely that they are going to hit the ground running. I think a realistic expectation is 5 - 10 games before we start to see the best of them, and maybe not even until next season.

Frings is basically in pre-season training right now, and Koevermans has hardly played in 2011.

All of this adds up to a big, fat no IMHO.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think the problem is that it doesn't accurately weight for the relative strength of the teams you play.
    if anything could do this it'd be worth a billion million dollars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with using sportsclubstats is that the guy's record is actually quite poor at predicting things until it gets down to the last few games.

For example, at one point last year he had the Blue Jays having a 95% chance of making the playoffs.

For example, if NY beats you, that's one thing. If Vancouver or New England beats you, it's something quite different.
    I can see why that would happen to teams bunched in the middle of the pack. I suspect the numbers are fairly accurate with the top and bottom teams at this point in the season.

Looking at the 10th placed teams in the last 3 seasons we can see:

2010 36 points Chicago 30 game season
    2009 40 points DCU 30 game season
    2008 37 points DCU 30 game season

This season has 34 games (4 extra games per team) so it is reasonable to suspect 42 points is the minimum to get in.

In 20 games TFC has 18 points. So we are looking at 24 more points in 14 remaining games to have a decent chance to sneak in.

That's 7 wins 3 draws and 4 loss or 8 wins 0 draws 6 loss territory. Using sportsclubstats or any other method its hard to see this team doing a 180 and pulling off those kind of numbers.

If this team makes the playoffs it will be more dramatic than the miracle in Montreal. That was a 1 game turnaround, this version of the team needs to make a 14 game turnaround.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I acctually am one of the few that voted, that we would make the playoffs. But it is from my hate and disprispect for the rest of the league that I believe that two quality players may just make us that much better then them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skint View Post
    I can see why that would happen to teams bunched in the middle of the pack. I suspect the numbers are fairly accurate with the top and bottom teams at this point in the season.

Looking at the 10th placed teams in the last 3 seasons we can see:

2010 36 points Chicago 30 game season
    2009 40 points DCU 30 game season
    2008 37 points DCU 30 game season

This season has 34 games (4 extra games per team) so it is reasonable to suspect 42 points is the minimum to get in.

In 20 games TFC has 18 points. So we are looking at 24 more points in 14 remaining games to have a decent chance to sneak in.
    Is it just me or is there an excessive amount of ties this year? It depends on other teams also, if the teams between us and 10th place tie alot or are decimated with injuries then you never know. I'm an optimist.
    Last edited by habstfc; 07-07-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Realistically no but voted yes. However that's what is great about sports, amazing things can happen. Why follow sports or a team if you can't expect great things?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Is it just me or is there an excessive amount of ties this year? It depends on other teams also, if the teams between us and 10th place tie alot or are decimated with injuries then you never know. I'm an optimist.
    Historically MLS has a lot of draws.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who are the 15 who voted YES ?

Definitely no.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    Who are the 15 who voted YES ?
    Some people have faith.

Like those with religious faith, I'm probably completely deluded. However, I'd question why any supporter wouldn't have faith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Some people have faith.

Like those with religious faith, I'm probably completely deluded. However, I'd question why any supporter wouldn't have faith.
    Likely because they prefer reason over faith.

Oh yeah, I assume this poll was a joke. It was clear at the start of the season that this team would be bottom dwellers this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Likely because they prefer reason over faith.

Oh yeah, I assume this poll was a joke. It was clear at the start of the season that this team would be bottom dwellers this year.
    Yet Winter still stated that playoffs were a target for this year...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Some people have faith.

Some people are CRAZY.

The best part about the last win over Vancouver is now we actually have something to play for with the two new players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1. Actually Charleston convinced me that our backline was crap. Have seen nothing different since.

We won't be in last place, though. Vancouver is worse than us, so is New England.
    shit want the first pick in the draft....excitng scoring prospect
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana