Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 42
  1. #1
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sec-115
    Posts
    9,906
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    1,914
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sunshine Girl 1 & 2
    Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.

    The Dynasty Continues - RWN - Champions SoctoberFest! '11, GoTFC Supporters Cup '10. Indoor Cup '10, '09, Niagara Cup '08 & '09. Be Champions. 6 for 8 :)

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    309
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Great article by De Vos.

    (good post by keem-o-sabi, too).

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brampton
    Posts
    447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    SSG= C.Toe city

  5. #5
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I wish DeVos had mentioned the current ongoing changes occurring, in the OSA at least, to change their focus to more development of skills. The OSA teams need to take a page from the Academies structure. It's an interesting time with little attention on the fact there are 2 very different philosophies on development of youth happening right now in our country and to support one over the other could mean widescale change in the next World Cup Cycle.
    Canada Mens Olympic Qualifiers vs El Sal Sat. March 21, Haita Tues. March 24, and Honduras Fri. March 27! Canada vs T&T Fri. March 27 4:30!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  6. #6
    RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    112
    Posts
    4,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question

    19 played. 18 points.

    Is it right to have hope?

    this season is not yet over. . . a win over columbus would certainly help. .

    Maicon and de Guzman are questionable ahead of Wednesday.
    Attakora (quadriceps strain). Dicoy Williams (knee) and Adrian Cann = out

    Gordon and Peterson are traveling,

    oh, and lets find a way to win 3 points tonight shall we?

    PS - Toe.
    Last edited by Technorgasm; 07-06-2011 at 07:24 AM.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

  8. #8
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Formerly Parkdale
    Posts
    30,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    oh right... there's a game!

    is it bad that I'm often reminded about games the day of?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,456
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    oh right... there's a game!

    is it bad that I'm often reminded about games the day of?
    Better than the day after

  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    parkdale
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Back to reality for TFC?

    beating up on vancouver's one thing, but NY? hoping we can avoid the hot Henry on Henry action.

  11. #11
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    low earth orbit
    Posts
    5,561
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Him being the Technical Director of Oakville SC (the largest club in North America) I find it curious that DeVos should ask parents to question why they send their children to clubs without professionals on staff. It's easy enough for him to say this, now that Oakville has mandated the hiring of paid staff at each age level, whereas much smaller clubs cannot afford to do so and must rely on volunteers. Should the parents of Dundas send their kids to Oakville ? Or should DYSC increase registration fees to cover the costs of having a professional on staff ? Is that what's going on in Ancaster (nb - player reg. fees in Dundas = $150; Ancaster = $220) ?

    Fuck off, Jason.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

  12. #12
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    low earth orbit
    Posts
    5,561
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    ... other than that his point about teaching skills first at Youth level, disregarding results, is spot on.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The 'Ring
    Posts
    1,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    Back to reality for TFC?

    beating up on vancouver's one thing, but NY? hoping we can avoid the hot Henry on Henry action.
    Lol. Well played.

  14. #14
    Awaiting Confirmation
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    "de Guzman said he had talked to De Rosario just hours before the trade and his Canadian international teammate had told him how happy he was in New York."

    Ouch.

  15. #15
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Him being the Technical Director of Oakville SC (the largest club in North America) I find it curious that DeVos should ask parents to question why they send their children to clubs without professionals on staff. It's easy enough for him to say this, now that Oakville has mandated the hiring of paid staff at each age level, whereas much smaller clubs cannot afford to do so and must rely on volunteers. Should the parents of Dundas send their kids to Oakville ? Or should DYSC increase registration fees to cover the costs of having a professional on staff ? Is that what's going on in Ancaster (nb - player reg. fees in Dundas = $150; Ancaster = $220) ?
    Serious question. Are those numbers citywide? Are there no other options for kids in Ancaster but Dundas for affordability? The answer doesn't effect me directly but I am curious to know more.

    Kids typically travel for sports when they get to a certain level anyway. Wouldn't this be a stopgap till both levels were available in both cities?
    Canada Mens Olympic Qualifiers vs El Sal Sat. March 21, Haita Tues. March 24, and Honduras Fri. March 27! Canada vs T&T Fri. March 27 4:30!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    2,623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Soccer needs to be looked at as an actual sport in this country and be treated like Hockey.

    With actual competitive leagues.

    Hockey has strong competitive leagues going back to young kids it develops them and encourages that development. Having a Massive club like Oakville and a small club that can't afford decent staff... means two things. Kids who fat and nonathletic and whose parents are forcing them to get exercise can play rec and parents that don't want to keep score can send their kids to the little rec club... and kids that want to learn to play the beautiful game and want to play Jr A and move forward can go to Oakville.

    We need these leagues to start cropping up. was need leagues that are competitive. It doesn't have to look like hockey right away but it should at some point start developing into a system that works well in the vastness of Canada. The Euro system isn't going to do it.

    Get out there teach them like we do with hockey with the same competitive spirit and guess what we'll develop players.

    It's funny when I was a kid the year we went to the World Cup I had friends playing hockey for the first time the same year I played Soccer. Their team lost and got nothing for losing.. they finished in the middle of league play. My team made it to the finals (I moved the day before so didn't get to play my parents actually wouldn't wait a day so I could play in the championship game says a lot of my childhood ) Every kid got a trophy though no matter how bad they were. And that is the difference between the way the two sports are thought of in this country.

    In Hockey you play to win, in Soccer you play to have fun... guess what winning is fun and so is playing your hardest even if you lose you played the best game every time. So lets get out there and get kids to play to win and play at their very best.

    Honestly that is a more important to developing the sport in the short term, teaching parents that your kids will be better off not getting a trophy if the come in last place, and if you play your best and your hardest then no matter what you can lift your head high. That is a more important life lesson then slack off and smiie you'll still get a trophy for running in circles to make your self dizzy while playing keeper and letting in three goals in 5 minutes..... (watched one of my cousins score that way the keeper just started doing air plane sounds with their arms out and running in a circle till she fell down... the coach was just like it's ok she's just having fun.)

    So yes lets fix Canadian Soccer at the roots, Fun is not making airplane sounds and falling over, Fun is trying hard, doing your best, and always trying to win. Even if you fail you still did your best and your best is always fun.
    Last edited by Kaz; 07-06-2011 at 08:54 AM.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    "de Guzman said he had talked to De Rosario just hours before the trade and his Canadian international teammate had told him how happy he was in New York."

    Ouch.
    pwned

  18. #18
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    low earth orbit
    Posts
    5,561
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ancaster is the larger of the two clubs and have paid staff (clerical and senior coaching). Furthermore, they've entered into an agreement with Redeemer College to build a large year-round indoor facility. Part of the fees is to cover the costs of this venture no doubt. Dundas has only one paid staff member - the registrar. Everyone else is a volunteer. Ancaster is close enough to Dundas that a player from one could register in the other (I coach in both as my son and daughter's games/practices were on the same night in the Dundas system - I moved the boy to Ancaster to solve this), but I don't think anyone's up in arms about it enough to look elsewhere.

    Last winter I signed up my daughter for indoor in Burlington, and after paying a $25 'out-of-catchment' fee it was still significantly cheaper than what was being offered at SoccerWorld Hamilton.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    The Pub.
    Posts
    8,937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    ... other than that his point about teaching skills first at Youth level, disregarding results, is spot on.
    I don't think disregarding results is spot on at all...

    And the mighty Hockey Canada is finding the same thing...

    Since the summit and the 'Performance of Excellence' has been instituted, one thing has been receiving negative feedback from coaches, and the panel assessing development - and that has been that the disregarding of results has caused a negative impact on players knowledge of the game, and the culture of sport...

    Kids are playing games at a very young age with no scoreboard, no winners and no losers - as they mature, they haven't learned that in sport - there is a winner and loser. They aren't maturing... They aren't learning the value of working hard - no matter what they do, nobody loses or wins...

    When they're entering the years where eventually the score matters, they are finding it tough to teach them that this is in fact what a sporting competition is about... Even at the recreational house league level...

    You can teach skill, knowledge, game play, passion, work ethic - but at the same time a kid needs to learn that there is a winner - and more importantly they need to learn how to lose...

    Hockey Canada is finding a huge increase in kids quitting the sport during the year, or after the year the actual win-loss / score is introduced...

    In this age of parents giving their kids everything - sport is one of the few things that teaches them "you can't always get what you want", that sometimes you lose...

    Focusing on development, should not mean disregarding the result...

    And also, just because there is a score does not mean you must focus on winning with 6,7,8 year olds - but to be successful, you must learn everything about a sport - and that includes the sometime cruel score at the end of 90-minutes...

    Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."


  20. #20
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    30,417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Kaz and Carts are spot on.

    The biggest issue that hampers soccer in Canada is what Kaz says - soccer is seen as a game to play for fun during the summer while school is out. Like VPjr said yesterday in a guest blog, essentially a babysitting service for the summer months.

    Until that attitude changes, it's going to be difficult.

    But that attitude permeates through sport in Canada in general, with the exception of hockey. Being an athlete isn't something that is promoted or held in high esteem in Canada. Really only in hockey is there an attitude of "I want to be a professional hockey player" and/or "we are/want to be the best in the world."

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A recent friendly between my son's club against the Power Soccer Academy, who do not play competitive games at the U10 level, reinforced Carts' points above.

    The skill levels of the teams were very similar, but the Academy kids didn't seem to really care that they were getting whipped. A few nice passes here and there seemed to satisfy them, and there wasn't any real desire to compete.

    I don't think the focus should be on the scoreboard but at U10 I think it's acceptable to teach them that winning is preferred, and it sure as hell beats losing. Either way they are gonna need to learn that, whether its soccer or school, work, etc....

  22. #22
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centre of My Bloody Universe.
    Posts
    18,912
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    Ancaster is the larger of the two clubs and have paid staff (clerical and senior coaching). Furthermore, they've entered into an agreement with Redeemer College to build a large year-round indoor facility. Part of the fees is to cover the costs of this venture no doubt. Dundas has only one paid staff member - the registrar. Everyone else is a volunteer. Ancaster is close enough to Dundas that a player from one could register in the other (I coach in both as my son and daughter's games/practices were on the same night in the Dundas system - I moved the boy to Ancaster to solve this), but I don't think anyone's up in arms about it enough to look elsewhere.

    Last winter I signed up my daughter for indoor in Burlington, and after paying a $25 'out-of-catchment' fee it was still significantly cheaper than what was being offered at SoccerWorld Hamilton.
    Thanks for that. And kudos for coaching! Good Luck!
    Canada Mens Olympic Qualifiers vs El Sal Sat. March 21, Haita Tues. March 24, and Honduras Fri. March 27! Canada vs T&T Fri. March 27 4:30!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

  23. #23
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bringin' Scarborough to The Beach!
    Posts
    4,969
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Removing the score board will do nothing. It just means the kids keep score themselves. Ive already witnessed this first-hand at programs my nephew is involved in.

    However, moving the focus from the final result to skills development is something soccer, or more importantly, the people who are dedicating their career to the game do need. If coaches only advance on a win/loss record then professional coaches will focus on winning to advance their career. These coaches need to know they have the support of their clubs and various associations that they will not be measured solely on their record. They need to know they will measured on how well they are teaching the skills of the game and how well their players are developing.

    There are many point in Jason's article I agree with - focus on skill development, clubs hire qualified coaches or invest in people willing to give their time to coach (easier said than done), support players & coaches based on their development and not only the win/loss record, etc.

    But all that can be done with the scoreboard on.

  24. #24
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    low earth orbit
    Posts
    5,561
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^^^, ^^^^ that's not what it's about. In my U10 girls division we have a stacked team that runs over all others by scores of 6-0, 11-2, etc. It's an unbalanced side (player ratings were disregarded this year as we moved to an online system). Their coaches favour teaching tactics over skills. This team will likely go on to win the league and the playoffs and earn a trophy. Next year, however, when they are moved up to U12, and split up into different teams, there will be no such domination. So, what did they learn this year ? Skills need to be taught at the right age, and this is it. Sure, those girls will get a trophy this year, but I doubt they'll have learned anything that will sustain them as players going forward.

    With regards to the culture of participating - I'm not a fan of that beyond a certain age, but I can tell you that my U10's are always asking where we are in the standings and if we beat a team previously, etc. They care about winning.

    Coach skills first, tactics later.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

  25. #25
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    low earth orbit
    Posts
    5,561
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Removing the score board will do nothing. It just means the kids keep score themselves. Ive already witnessed this first-hand at programs my nephew is involved in.

    However, moving the focus from the final result to skills development is something soccer, or more importantly, the people who are dedicating their career to the game do need. If coaches only advance on a win/loss record then professional coaches will focus on winning to advance their career. These coaches need to know they have the support of their clubs and various associations that they will not be measured solely on their record. They need to know they will measured on how well they are teaching the skills of the game and how well their players are developing.

    There are many point in Jason's article I agree with - focus on skill development, clubs hire qualified coaches or invest in people willing to give their time to coach (easier said than done), support players & coaches based on their development and not only the win/loss record, etc.

    But all that can be done with the scoreboard on.
    ^This.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

  26. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Siiiiide
    Posts
    24,334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I too think Jason's article is very good...save for the "keeping score" angle. If you have two teams of equal age and one stomps all over ther other, it is one more tool to identify where there is potential and where there is making up to do. Keeping score is necessary in order to do that effectively. Yes, it should not be reinforced as a "live or die" scenario to kids, but it certainly should not be eliminated completely either. Especially since kids are not so stupid as to not be doing it already.

    Playing "foot hockey" on the streets of my neighbourhood...we kept score from as far back as I can remember. It didn't damage my psyche...although some here may disagree.

  27. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Niagara Falls
    Posts
    2,623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    At a young age you can't have a stacked team, each team statistically should have players capable of being good at the game, if the coaches are good.

    My second and sadly last year playing league soccer my father was my Coach, we came in Second. Our team and the team that won dominated because we had the only two coaches that took coaching as more then a babysitting service. It wasn't more skill on our team at the beginning of the season, it was more skill learning during the system.. Both Coaches required and taught discipline but was also patient with the kids. A coach with those skills will always have a stacked team.

  28. #28
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post

    Coach skills first, tactics later.
    Bang on.

    At a young age, the most important thing is to give players basic skills and a love of the game.

    As they start to get older, the coach can start worrying about tactics, but its not time to pass them on yet.

  29. #29
    RPB 2019 Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On the Interwebs
    Posts
    17,345
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    At a young age you can't have a stacked team, each team statistically should have players capable of being good at the game, if the coaches are good.

    My second and sadly last year playing league soccer my father was my Coach, we came in Second. Our team and the team that won dominated because we had the only two coaches that took coaching as more then a babysitting service. It wasn't more skill on our team at the beginning of the season, it was more skill learning during the system.. Both Coaches required and taught discipline but was also patient with the kids. A coach with those skills will always have a stacked team.
    One year that I coached, I was one of only two with an OSA license (which isn't worth much, really). One "coach" had never played and didn't know the rules of the game. Others had a rudimentary understanding. It's sad how bad it is. I coached my younger son's team.

    My oldest son played on a rep team. His coach only focused on win-win-win. (Sometimes you wondered if he was doing it for the kids, or for some sort of psychological need to be a "winner.")

    His bad experience with that coach made him drop out of rep. It's too bad. He had started in a professional club's academy at age 8 while we lived in France. He has very good technical ability and an excellent reading of the game (they train you well in France), but coming back to Canada, that wasn't valued. The way to "win" at youth soccer in Canada is to play the larger and more athletic players, forget anything about skill. He was smaller and thinner than the more "valued" players.

    So after spending too much time nailed to the bench, he dropped out.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-06-2011 at 10:10 AM.

  30. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    4,501
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hello Hollie! WOW! http://www.page3.com/


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •