0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dickov offered one-year deal, says report

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad it's no more than one year, simply because he is fairly old. I still hope it's not the end-all of solutions for Mo for scoring however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that one year as in the rest of this year?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dickov will score a ton of goals for us........Hi is huge upgrade to what we have & his style will make him a huge fan favourite........Great move by Mo !
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree with B13...this guy will score here for sure!
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Dickov will score a ton of goals for us........Hi is huge upgrade to what we have & his style will make him a huge fan favourite........Great move by Mo !
    My old man (who still refuses to admit he's a TFC fan, yet watches every game and gives indepth thoughts on them lol) thinks Dikov will be excellent for us as well...

He says the way the game is played "with that rug you've got at BMO" will work to Dikov's advantage because he has a tireless work ethic, and is smart enough to use it to his advantage...

I asked the "non-fan yet expert" if we'll finally start scoring off live play and not set plays and he says the same as Bluenose, that Dikov should put the ball in the net regularly...

So, I'm pumped for this - we need to score, hopefully he'll do just that..

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll have 2 dicks on offence... Dickov and Dichio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    We'll have 2 dicks on offence... Dickov and Dichio.
    I can just see a girl holding a sign up...

"Two 'Dicks' are Better Than One"

That'll get us over with the mainstream media...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait for the call of this one..."Pair of Dicks knocking it about in the box"...so inappropriate.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if we manage to sign him, will we use the DP slot?
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
    If they keep Cunningham as well...perhaps, but I can't see that happening.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Met Dickov at the Pachuca game...super nice guy and really seems to love the atmosphere and the potential here.
    I think on the field he'd be a force to reckon with picking up the wide crosses and the scrambles in front of goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    What I think has won me over in this clip is that it shows Dickov's exploits in a short time. More precisely, the creator didn't have to go far to find good clips (all of these are at Blackpool and just recently). Some clips of players I have seen use footage from years ago: the fact that this footage is from a compressed period of time bodes well. It showed 3 of his 6 or 7 goals for Blackpool in a short time there and it shows us exactly what we're getting. I was skeptical before but now I'm eager to see Dickov in a TFC shirt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Dickov could be a great addition in the short-term, but I have some questions. More to do with what Dickov is thinking. Why would a guy want to move to another continent for lousy pay and for a year and half?

The only way I can rationalize this move for him is if there are no other teams interested (which Blackpool is) or Mo will offer him a role within the organization. Or maybe he just wants one last adventure

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rooney View Post

I doubt it to be honest. I think there's going to be a few moves in the next little while.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    Can't wait for the call of this one..."Pair of Dicks knocking it about in the box"...so inappropriate.
    just wait till we play LA again...

Two dics in the box with Vagenas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by egoodwin View Post
    just wait till we play LA again...

Two dics in the box with Vagenas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Dic's, one ball....hmmm, sounds backwards...
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acc to the News of the Screws he's signed/ is signing imminently.
    Mrs TFC Cityboy is very excited about this one...she loves her wee Dicky!!
    http://blogs.notw.co.uk/sport/2008/0...v-goes-to.html

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he does sign for us I can see him through no fault of his own getting sent off in one of his first games.. Similarly to Dichio he seems to have that aggressive tussling/scrammbling spirit that MLS doesn't seem to like very much..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    if he does sign for us I can see him through no fault of his own getting sent off in one of his first games.. Similarly to Dichio he seems to have that aggressive tussling/scrammbling spirit that MLS doesn't seem to like very much..
    That makes me like him even more.

Dickov and Dichio up front with service from Guevara and Robert. This may get us what we need for now, which is into the playoffs. If everyone stays healthy and we can bring this next season, it may be enough to get us into the finals. I can't see it staying together more than a full season, but, if it works, by that time we'll have enough improved profile to sign higher caliber players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trust me on this as I've followed his career since his Arsenal days. He's the kind of player you HATE when he is not playing for you ( think Roy Keane, Alan Smith, Robbie Savage) but love him playing for YOUR team. You will LOVE the little fella as his is the anti-Cunningham. He will work his arse off for this team, and yes he will argue with refs tho I feel he may have mellowed with age a bit. It'll be up to Carver to warn him about the MLS refs
    He's a fox in the box if you like and is a good finisher. He will adore the South Stand and in turn we will adore Paul Dickov.
    I hope this comes off!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post
    Trust me on this as I've followed his career since his Arsenal days. He's the kind of player you HATE when he is not playing for you ( think Roy Keane, Alan Smith, Robbie Savage) but love him playing for YOUR team. You will LOVE the little fella as his is the anti-Cunningham. He will work his arse off for this team, and yes he will argue with refs tho I feel he may have mellowed with age a bit. It'll be up to Carver to warn him about the MLS refs
    He's a fox in the box if you like and is a good finisher. He will adore the South Stand and in turn we will adore Paul Dickov.
    I hope this comes off!
    Good to know! No more Cunningham salute (the statue-hands-on-hip pose).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh he'll have his hands on hips but only cos he's fuckin' knackered from chasing doen the opposition defenders...he defends from the front. I love this guy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    If they keep Cunningham as well...perhaps, but I can't see that happening.
    I wouldn't worry about that. Cunny's been on borrowed time here for awhile. And if he wasn't, missing a penalty last night will have certainly done it. He'll be let go in order to free up the SI spot for Dickov.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that. Cunny's been on borrowed time here for awhile. And if he wasn't, missing a penalty last night will have certainly done it. He'll be let go in order to free up the SI spot for Dickov.
    Somewhere in the world, Colin Samuel is laughing his ass off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    That makes me like him even more.

Dickov and Dichio up front with service from Guevara and Robert. This may get us what we need for now, which is into the playoffs. If everyone stays healthy and we can bring this next season, it may be enough to get us into the finals. I can't see it staying together more than a full season, but, if it works, by that time we'll have enough improved profile to sign higher caliber players.
    I don't think we'd be playing Dickov, Dichio, Guevara and Robert all together.

Dickov---Dichio
    ---Guevara---
    Robert--------Ricketts
    ----Robinson---

I don't think our attackers can't defend well enough. And that's provided we drop Edu which I don't see happening, despite poor form. I doubt Ricketts would take kindly to being benched in the MLS either. Adding Hucks too? Our attack will end up too strong lol. Cunny would be gone undoubtedly but there still will be so many players that someone's going to have to sit, and I doubt anyone will take to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be a nice move for the team. I still think, for purposes of depth, we still need a younger (21-28) striker as well. Enoch Showunmi is available on a free transfer and I think his time at Luton Town overlapped with Carver’s, he’d be a nice fit to my way of thinking.

Similar article. Maybe Hucks still a possibilty?:

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Spor...cale/football/
    Last edited by UltraSuperMegaMo; 07-06-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My optimism over Dickov is growing; seems like the kind of striker who'll finish chances, but has to get help creating them instead of making the space himself. I don't think a lack of chances has been our problem, mostly just the finish.

Maybe he'll have a Deuchar/McManus kind of impact, although he played and was successful at a much higher level than both -- ripped the CCC apart last year in that loan spell -- so here' s hoping.

And maybe the fact that Huckerby can play wide left explains why Robert was playing like a man possessed last night -- although I'd still put him up front if he came.