Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THos huge flags are AMAZING!
    Nice to see them flying this weekend.

Kudos to the folks at the top of 110, they were loud and proud.
    Also, Kudos to 113 for bringing it for the full 90.
    Great tailgate.
    anyone notice that our west coast friends left before the end of the match?
    tee hee hee.
    Love it.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    anyone notice that our west coast friends left before the end of the match?
    Seriously? It's bad enough to leave before the end of the match but they could have tied it up and won very easily.

Weak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i assume they had to go RIOT

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new chant" We're not the worst!"

BOTH Canadian te4ams are supporting the bottom of the league. .its fucking SAD.

watch L'imp-act come in and "tear this leage apart".

Mathematically speaking, is play offs possible?
    Spreadsheet nerds. . .ACTIVATE!

ps - I think I saw that SSG at GJillys a couple of weeks ago.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sighs of relief all round

A day late, but what the hell, here's another report from saturday's game to watch.

alos, re the women not getting enough games, they played in a shit load of games and mini tournaments over the last year or so, much more than the mens team would ever do. bit of a weak excuse really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I don't know, we have like 15 games to go and are a mere 2pts behind....

You don't need a nerd, spreadsheet or formula to determine that we're still plenty alive and people need to come to grips with the reality of how the MLS season works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Check out this thread
    http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=28693

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Well I don't know, we have like 15 games to go and are a mere 2pts behind....

You don't need a nerd, spreadsheet or formula to determine that we're still plenty alive and people need to come to grips with the reality of how the MLS season works.

Actually 2 points behind but with opposing teams having 2-3 games in hand on us.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nerd here: based on the current 10th place team's pace, it will take about 43 points to make the playoffs.

For TFC that would mean 25 points in the 15 remaining games. That also means about 7 or 8 wins.

TFC can only afford 2 or 3 losses the rest of the way.

So sure, mathematically its possible.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    alos, re the women not getting enough games, they played in a shit load of games and mini tournaments over the last year or so, much more than the mens team would ever do. bit of a weak excuse really.
    Totally agree with that. This is an apologists view to try and minimize the disappointment with us hosting the tourney next. Morace and the CSA got those girls plenty good competition to the lead up to this WWC.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we do have a chance at making it for sure,

However we realistically need 8 more wins to secure a spot. and a team that has only 3 wins it may be tough. but if they can.it would be nice.

now is a good time to pray

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gcolacci View Post
    we do have a chance at making it for sure,

However we realistically need 8 more wins to secure a spot. and a team that has only 3 wins it may be tough. but if they can.it would be nice.

now is a good time to pray
    We are pretty much going to have to go on a run similar to the one KC is on. They are even winning road games now.

One win and one draw in the next 2 road games would be highly beneficial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Actually 2 points behind but with opposing teams having 2-3 games in hand on us.
    We play all of those teams one more time, so we still have some control of our fate.

Also, what happens more than anything in MLS? Draws. Those teams still need to get their points in those matches in hand.

Every time someone wins in MLS, someone also loses.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, what happens more than anything in MLS? Draws. Those teams still need to get their points in those matches in hand.
    Its insane how many draws there are in this league.

Its one of the reasons why TFC appears to still be in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say it, but the playoffs are extremely unlikely, even with the additions of Frings and Koevermans. There are just too many variables that would have to fall into place in TFC's favour over the duration of the schedule.

The bright side is that if TFC can defeat Real Esteli, we will have another tournament to follow regardless of the MLS playoffs.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    The bright side is that if TFC can defeat Real Esteli, we will have another season to follow regardless of the MLS playoffs.
    That "if" is actually not sounding too unlikely:

"Esteli last appeared in the CCL in 2008 when they were ousted in the preliminary round by another Canadian side, Montreal Impact. The teams played to a scoreless draw in Nicaragua after Montreal took a 1-0 lead into the final contest from the opening leg."

If the Limpact can do it, so should we.

And by the by, in unrelated news, our schedule is BRUTAL right now. I had no idea we were playing NYRB Wednesday until this morning. Insane. Santos was limping pretty badly after the game Saturday, so here's hoping Flash Gordon is fit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We play all of those teams one more time, so we still have some control of our fate.

Every time someone wins in MLS, someone also loses.
    We're not mathematically out of it, but from a probability standpoint, we're on the outside looking in.

There are 5 or 6 teams ahead of us with 2 to 3 games in hand. They all either have 18 points or better. And many of them have games in hand at home not on the road. We have all those conditions against us. We literally have to pick up multiple wins on the road and not drop a single point at home in order for us to have even a chance at playoffs and then the kicker: Even if we score sufficient points in the standings, if there is another team with the same points we lose out because of our horrible goal differential. 24 points out of 15 games remaining is LA Galaxy-type results. Just putting the facts out there.

By the way, the 6 games at home are against Colorado, Salt Lake, NY, San Jose, KC and New England. The only winnable game I see there is New England.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 07-04-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, the 6 games at home are against Colorado, Salt Lake, NY, KC and New England. The only winnable game I see there is New England.
    I think we can take the win off of KC as well, but as you point out, the playoffs are a dream right now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Totally agree with that. This is an apologists view to try and minimize the disappointment with us hosting the tourney next. Morace and the CSA got those girls plenty good competition to the lead up to this WWC.
    True,they did have plenty of games,now look who we played against?

16 games vs teams ranked 10+ 15-0-1
    7 games vs top 10 teams 3-2-2

It should be other way around 15 games vs top 10 teams instead of 10 and up.

Playing Malta,Cyprus teams gave us a feeling we are good enough and ready for WC,while looking at other 7 games it was clear we are not where we should be.

Since we are hosting next WC,our CWNT should play games vs top 15 ranked teams in order to be challenged and ready for WC.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    I think we can take the win off of KC as well, but as you point out, the playoffs are a dream right now.

KC is in form right now having taken 4 wins in their last 5 games (and catapulted themselves into a playoff position). Granted these have been at home in their lovely new stadium, but suffice to say, I don't see it as an easy win if at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Concerning the CWNT, I think it's a little of both, as so often.

Yes, there is a bit of an apologists view at play here. The women have played better over the past year, and could have nicked a draw vs Germany (that was really underperforming) and at least a draw vs. France. But they completely wilted vs. France instead of stepping up & playing as good as they have occasionally shown they can. At least they should be able to compete better on an athletic level -- Cdn defenders & most midfielders looked too slow & out-of-shape vs. France for example,

I think the CWNT has played quite a few games. I believe playing against top national teams is potentially more expensive especially if you want to bring them to Canada??? The women have sacrificed lots of time to stay & play together for long stretches over the past two years in the national team. Many have dropped out of whatever lower-league teams they were previously playing with.

However, most of them don't get enough constant playing time in leagues. I think Morace's comment, about needing a Cdn pro women's league, is likely unrealistic, but she has a point. Why isn't WPS at least a bigger league, with more teams (incl. Cdn), better competition, and better financing? How come many of these other countries manage to organize high-quality pro or semi-pro women's leagues, often with smaller populations, and much less head-start on interest & participation in women's soccer than the US & Canada have had? Very embarrassing that the WPS team of Marta & Sinclair just folded.

Then again, supposedly Brazil doesn't have a decent women's league, but they do just fine. I haven't researched why that is: do many of those women play in other leagues around the world? Likely it's also due to the other problem in Canada (and somewhat in the US): poor training programs starting with the kids, gimmicks & trophies instead of skills development, and not enough time kicking the ball around in the park, on the street, or on the beach.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 07-04-2011 at 09:28 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah right "a couple of weeks ago"

you probably spent your entire long weekend there!

I wonder if they were offering 'Pride Week Drink Specials' ?
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KC is in form right now having taken 4 wins in their last 5 games (and catapulted themselves into a playoff position). Granted these have been at home in their lovely new stadium, but suffice to say, I don't see it as an easy win if at all.
    They did win on the road in Portland this weekend.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kc, I think we'll get a dull 0-0 drw. maybe a squirrel will enliven things though. not sure who the 6th team should actually be, but either way, that list of teams was a tough one. with the amount of home games we've played against weak opposition already, playoffs are nowhere near as close as they seem with a casual glance at the table.

ccl all the way.

dallas! that's the other team we haven't played at home yet.
    Last edited by Darlofletch; 07-04-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn it felt nice to win...!!!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't expect playoff this year,however I do expect a hard push for playoff in 2nd part of the season.If we and up missing it by a small margin I'll be ok with that.

CCL group stage must be achieved in order to make this season less painfu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I don't expect playoff this year,however I do expect a hard push for playoff in 2nd part of the season.If we and up missing it by a small margin I'll be ok with that.

CCL group stage must be achieved in order to make this season less painfu.
    Let's just see some continued building of the squad and an improved performance for the 2nd half. I can more than live with that.

Like to see a mostly built team at the end of the year that won't require too much tweaking. Giving these guys some stability will help them perform. That's something Johnston never understood. Player A might be 5% better than player B, but good luck getting anyone on the team to focus on the task when they feel they are going to be dealt at any moment.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-04-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy 4th of July to all our American TFC fans!