RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Quote Kevv "French women are so offensive"

lol
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Imagine how the standard of player in this country would change if development took precedence over results. Just a hunch, as I've no first-hand experience, but the fact is by the time a generation of players hits their teens, they don't even have the basics mastered. Is this due to the level of coaching? Is this due to parents who won't let their kids stay on a team that doesn't just focus on winning?

I don't know really, perhaps someone can relate their own experiences. In my head it goes something like this: a team can get away with route one when they're kids. It's basic, can get a result and most opposing under-10 sides don't have the physical attributes to defend against it. In-and-around puberty (growth spurts etc), suddenly you have a bunch of kids who have never really been taught how to play. They might still be passable within the country, but those who get far enough to play against international competition suddenly find themselves on the wrong side of a hiding.

It's entirely predictable and entirely preventable, but only if there's a will -- not just on the organisation sides of things, but youth coaches, and parents - to stop worrying about results and start worrying about real development.

Happy Canada Day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll add that the mindset on helping coaches advance needs to change as well. Too many people equate a team that wins to mean the coach must be good. I played on many winning youth teams where the coach was average at best. (not their fault, they were just volunteers with no formal training or support)

Coaches need the support to know that they will be measured on how well they teach the game at the youth level and not solely on wins and losses to advance their career to a higher level.

I'll still say a big part of this comes down to the parents. When they fork out $$ for little suzie and johnny to play soccer they want to see their kids do well .. which = winning in the minds of too many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do Frings and Koevermans get to play today in the NCC!??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Do Frings and Koevermans get to play today in the NCC!??

No.... July 20th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    ^^ Imagine how the standard of player in this country would change if development took precedence over results. Just a hunch, as I've no first-hand experience, but the fact is by the time a generation of players hits their teens, they don't even have the basics mastered. Is this due to the level of coaching? Is this due to parents who won't let their kids stay on a team that doesn't just focus on winning?
    Go check out the players bio's for the womens world cup...I will compare Canada to Japan as Japan is my team anyway. You will notice that of the womens Canadian national team only 3 players actually play for a womens club. The rest of the team has no club affiliation. Of the Japanese team, every woman on that team is affiliated with a womens club in either Japan or europe. Actually if you think about it...Canada's women ranked as high as they are with only a fraction of the women playing for a team at a womens proffesional level is quite amazing.

Vancouver has a womens team...why doesn't TFC?

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know really, perhaps someone can relate their own experiences. In my head it goes something like this: a team can get away with route one when they're kids. It's basic, can get a result and most opposing under-10 sides don't have the physical attributes to defend against it. In-and-around puberty (growth spurts etc), suddenly you have a bunch of kids who have never really been taught how to play. They might still be passable within the country, but those who get far enough to play against international competition suddenly find themselves on the wrong side of a hiding.

It's entirely predictable and entirely preventable, but only if there's a will -- not just on the organisation sides of things, but youth coaches, and parents - to stop worrying about results and start worrying about real development.

Happy Canada Day.
    AMEN
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for fun this year i am coaching u8 boys and believe me its fun they are so into it

the format is half an hour practice and two twenty minute halves
    and the parents cheer and scream for goals apparently its the canadian way

its not developing them at all but thats what the parents pay for to play soccer for an hour then they go to swimming lessons and then gymnastics they just want the kids active which i suppose we cannot fault however us soccer die hards can see the development suffer

i would prefer an hour practice and maybe a twenty minute game so more skills could be taught and to work on positioning and tactics but it isnt happening

christ we even have referees this year and the boys are all over the place and our ref two weeks ago called for a hand ball in the box and pointed to the spot ffs

there has to be a better way and with the growth of the game change is comming slowly and the talk is exactly what koryo mentioned we need to get rid of winning mentality and teach them to play

oh and mornin d

happy canada day everyone

cannot wait for tommorow and really excited about the future with our new signings both from a player point of veiw and the team keeping its promises
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've spent some time coaching kids soccer let me tell you a bit about what I've noticed.

My first spell coaching was about 3 1/2 years ago with several different age groups. At the time there was no curriculum or overall direction from the associations about how to run a practice. You could be a terrible coach or a great one nobody would know the difference.

Fast forward to today, in terms of structure, a lot has changed. The association gives me a complete manual on every drill they DEMAND be run for a set of practices. The number of players in the pool has grown exponentially and the coaching quality has improved. The ratio of practices / games has also gotten better so it is getting to be more about skills development.

What is still lacking for a number of players is a desire to get better and the understanding that if you don't focus on what the coaches say, you won't obtain the necessary skills. Basically, for some, the sport is still a babysitting service and that old Canadian attitude that extends to every sport but Hockey still applies (ie. if you are participating you "win", no need to try).
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-01-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just noticed this on the MLS website....enjoy!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...st-xi-all-time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coaching U-9 boys rep team this year and only 1 player is technically at a good level in my mind. The rest of the team have got by on being physically good athletes, but their mechanics are very weak. I have been focusing on teaching them mechanics of shooting, passing, dribbling and controlling a ball.

What I have found, and maybe I am wrong here, is that the boys are pretty immature for their age and aren't as serious about learning as I was expecting. They like to play and have fun, but I am surprised at how most of them don't really care. The one kid (who is a year younger than the res) is the only one that has a hunger to learn everything you throw at him. But this is an interesting topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    Go check out the players bio's for the womens world cup...I will compare Canada to Japan as Japan is my team anyway. You will notice that of the womens Canadian national team only 3 players actually play for a womens club. The rest of the team has no club affiliation. Of the Japanese team, every woman on that team is affiliated with a womens club in either Japan or europe. Actually if you think about it...Canada's women ranked as high as they are with only a fraction of the women playing for a team at a womens proffesional level is quite amazing.

Vancouver has a womens team...why doesn't TFC?
    1st: The Obvious- TFC does have a women's team and they play week in week out. Zing!

2nd: The Truth- TFC barely has a first team. If there was a Reserves Cup/Tournament we would be out by now due to injuries. Can you imagine if TFC had a women's team? Just out of the top of your head how many headlines would start with sexual harrassment and the team calling each other bitches? I mean really think about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    This chick is unbelievably hot.
    Now if there were not tats she would be a 20.
    Wow.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Imagine how the standard of player in this country would change if development took precedence over results...
    The women's side of thing has been a lot worse than the men's from that sort of standpoint because rightly or wrongly they don't get the best coaches and ethnic clubs (where there are more people who really do know the game inside out relative to the larger youth clubs) place a lot less emphasis on it. The women's national team did well when other countries still didn't take women's soccer seriously. The apparent success story in years past was achieved pretty much by default.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    The women's side of thing has been a lot worse than the men's from that sort of standpoint because rightly or wrongly they don't get the best coaches and ethnic clubs (where there are more people who really do know the game inside out relative to the larger youth clubs) place a lot less emphasis on it. The women's national team did well when other countries still didn't take women's soccer seriously. The apparent success story in years past was achieved pretty much by default.
    This,

It was easy for CWNT to have success when no one gave a damn about women soccer in the world,now that countries with strong men teams/programs are investing money and applying the same successful programs to develop women soccer,our WNT is not that good anymore,give another 10 years and Women will be where CMNT is right now 80+ on the FIFA ranks.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drexel10 View Post
    Coaching U-9 boys rep team this year and only 1 player is technically at a good level in my mind. The rest of the team have got by on being physically good athletes, but their mechanics are very weak. I have been focusing on teaching them mechanics of shooting, passing, dribbling and controlling a ball.

What I have found, and maybe I am wrong here, is that the boys are pretty immature for their age and aren't as serious about learning as I was expecting. They like to play and have fun, but I am surprised at how most of them don't really care. The one kid (who is a year younger than the res) is the only one that has a hunger to learn everything you throw at him. But this is an interesting topic.
    It's because in a lot of places soccer is not part of the mainstream culture. I live 2 hrs. north of Toronto and there are mixed teams of boys and girls. The vast majority of parents do not understand the game in the slightest. One idea is to present workshops for elementary schools and teachers to increase awareness as well as knowledge and skill level.