Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was him then, this is Winter/Mariner now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    that was him then, this is Winter/Mariner now.

I am not commenting on anything other than the fact that big names ARE available to TFC. The argument that big name players are not willing to come to TFC is false. Whether the previous management or current management does what it takes to bring them is a different story. But it's not because players won't come here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    It also has match congestion the whole season and is extremely physical. It`s a hard league on the body.
    its only hard on the body because of all the rolling around on the pitch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I am not commenting on anything other than the fact that big names ARE available to TFC. The argument that big name players are not willing to come to TFC is false. Whether the previous management or current management does what it takes to bring them is a different story. But it's not because players won't come here.
    Fair enough.
    Id be curious to see what their demands are as well as whether theyd fit into our current coaches system.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds like you know something we don't know... any names of players who would want to come here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Fair enough.
    Id be curious to see what their demands are as well as whether theyd fit into our current coaches system.
    And whether or not management thinks that a big name player can play well enough to justify make 10x what the rest of the team makes in order to not piss the rest of squad off and kill morale even further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this comes true, my only concern would be that Gordon has earned the right to start if he's healthy as the target striker.

Wouldn't be fair to to sit either player imo so what will Winter do?

Also, doesn't this signing push our 'captain' down on the depth chart? I don't think he's effective enough at attacking mid and would rather see him up top but now he'll be behind both Gordon and Koevermans at that position.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    Also, doesn't this signing push our 'captain' down on the depth chart? I don't think he's effective enough at attacking mid and would rather see him up top but now he'll be behind both Gordon and Koevermans at that position.
    I think this would solidify Santos as our AM (barring other moves). And I agree, I hate using Santos there. Love using him up front in a poacher's role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this comes true, my only concern would be that Gordon has earned the right to start if he's healthy as the target striker.

It's called competition for places, and as long as the new guy doesn't get a pass based on his name or contract status, this is a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I don't think there is a mass exodus just waiting to happen, but consider what Henry, Schelotto, Montero, and Angel have brought to their respective clubs. There are top-quality players out there willing to play in MLS. Admittedly, we may have to pay a premium to entice them up to Toronto, but they're there.

and beckham, ljungberg. yes those are a few names who have created an opportunity here - but few is my point exactly. that leaves little left to go around for everyone to get all picky about. im not saying tfc has helped their cause with this over the years, and mista was indeed an example of gambling and failing.

but my point of very few GOOD/GREAT players waiting to play in this league - especially tfc perhaps - is a reality and we have to consider that when judging who we could get versus who we think we could get.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Sounds like you know something we don't know... any names of players who would want to come here?
    I was referring to players during the MoJo era. Those opportunities are no longer current.

I have heard rumours this year but nothing concrete. Koeverman's name has been bandied around for some time but to be honest, I have made something of an effort to start drawing away from TFC related personnel issues. It's becoming a waste of my time with very little upside. So I have somewhat avoided trying to find news about TFC movements. I have to concentrate on the profitable side of my sports business and TFC is not it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gordon is one of the only players to have impressed me this year, but his injury problems have to be a concern. And competition is never a bad thing. Who knows, Winter might be able to fit them in to the line-up together.

By the way, De Ro is old and washed up but Koevermans isn't?
    Last edited by Gazza; 06-28-2011 at 11:48 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Gordon is one of the only players to have impressed me this year, but his injury problems have to be a concern. And competition is never a bad thing. Who knows, Winter might be able to fit them in to the line-up together.

Odd how that sorta thing goes, eh?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post

How long are the respective contracts? That's the real question. Having either one on the payroll at or around the full cap hit now is likely to be beneficial (assumingKoevermans isn't a flop).Having either of them around in 3-4 years on the same salary presents a significant risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    I thought that was "The JDG Excuse"...???

Stevanovic was not good...

I hope this lad comes in and plays like Hassli does...

Watch Hassli and you see he plays "NO EXCUSE FOOTBALL"...

If he's not getting service, he busts his ass back and tries to win the ball for himself...

He's earned his share of cards and stupid fouls doing so - but he's also won alot of balls, put'em in the net and at least been dangerous for Vancouver...

Its time in Toronto that guys play NO EXCUSE FOOTBALL...

Carts...

Yeah, this is really it. it's much more about attitude than anything else in MLS.

This is why all this talk of systems and cultures is silly. We've known for years what the team needs is more Danny Dichio attiude, more NO EXCUSE FOOTBALL...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

Let's just watch some highlights. Highlights are fun.
    So I watched the highlights of this guy... and I'm a little worried. Yes he had a good strike rate, but seems that he relies almost consistently on getting a good pass fed to him for an easy shot on goal. Hasn't the lack of this been our problem since pretty much day one?

I'll old off on the excitement until I see who they sign as an AM for him to play with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Looks like he hits the ball equally well with both feet too....something Gordon and Santos are incapable of doing...nice...
    and based on his youtube, he can pick the corners of the net nicely....something that this team has not been able to do AT ALL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondaddy View Post
    and based on his youtube..

I seriously hope our players are picked with a little more than what is on youtube...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaos View Post
    I seriously hope our players are picked with a little more than what is on youtube...
    Ofcourse they are, but as fans the only video footage we can get is on youtube.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaos View Post
    the thing is....I don't get to pick the players for TFC. I've tried but no one is listening...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can confirm that Danny just walked into the ACC through Gate 2 with Paul Mariner and a couple of suits.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akoto View Post
    I can confirm that Danny just walked into the ACC through Gate 2 with Paul Mariner and a couple of suits.
    Nice.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Signed by the Leafs?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like this is happening ... timing is still Jul 1st before they can officially sign someone though, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

July 15th.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ 15th?
    Ahhhhh... come on!
    We need help now!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need rain-outs from now until July 15th.

And we need more than Danny; hopefully also a CB & an AM?

The rate we've been going, I'm really not worried about having too many players that can hit the goal. I think Winter has realized that Gordon and Santos aren't necessarily 90-minute guys for every game. Gordon has been injured more often than not. Even Santos, I was wondering if he was carrying a bit of a knock in the last game; seemed to be doing even more slo-mo jogging than normal. Santos is also a great super-sub, and Koef may need time to get fully game fit.

Plus if we make it past Vancouver next weekend, we need ALOT more quality depth for the CCL. I'm also not so worried about service to a guy like Koef (or Gordon, when he's healthy). One of the things that has been working better this year IMO, is crosses into the box. Soolsma, Borman, and Eckersley can all put in an (MLS-) quality cross; even Plata and Martina sometimes. But the crosses are totally wasted if Gordon isn't playing or is heavily marked. Hopefully Koef can help in the box, and a new AM can add some service up the middle...

And to the folks saying, Stevanovic would have done better if our forwards could get open: how would Stev have known they are open? He was always staring at his feet or the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is illogical. We've never had a big player come here, so you can't definitively say they'd come here. You can say they've said they'd come here, but that's not the same thing as actually doing it.

So far, they haven't. So you can't rule out that they won't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akoto View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    So I watched the highlights of this guy... and I'm a little worried. Yes he had a good strike rate, but seems that he relies almost consistently on getting a good pass fed to him for an easy shot on goal. Hasn't the lack of this been our problem since pretty much day one?
    No, it hasn't.