Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    I would expect he's going to be that AM we've all been looking for, I believe he is capable of playing there as well. Either that of JDG is gone and he'll pair up with Tchani?
    Is he? I'm honestly not sure about that ... maybe some Bundesliga ppl can clarify this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    Is he? I'm honestly not sure about that ... maybe some Bundesliga ppl can clarify this.
    I'm honestly not sure either. But I think Ossington was saying he can play anywhere in the midfield. I only know what I saw in the World Cups and he sure looks like he can be a playmaker to me.

Also, I think someone said he's scored 7 goals in a season. Sure beats the other DM we are used to having who is incapable of even hitting the net.

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    Frings not a lick...he apologized and said through interpreter he'll learn fast.
    Maybe Stefan Frei can interpret for him, he comes from a German-speaking region of Switzerland

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    I'm honestly not sure either. But I think Ossington was saying he can play anywhere in the midfield. I only know what I saw in the World Cups and he sure looks like he can be a playmaker to me.

Also, I think someone said he's scored 7 goals in a season. Sure beats the other DM we are used to having who is incapable of even hitting the net.
    hes pretty versatile but is best at DM, id say hes a box to box like Shalrie but of higher quality and not afraid to get stuck in, got great passes to boot. Id be willing to bet hes a replacement for JDG.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    Maybe Stefan Frei can interpret for him, he comes from a German-speaking region of Switzerland
    Swiss German ("low German") is quite different from the German spoken in Germany. It is closer to what the Pennsylvania Dutch speak.

However many low German speakers are bilingual, and can speak regular German as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pachuco, LucaGol - I do know we also have Bekker trialing with us, i suspect he'll be primary playmaker (id still like to see stronger pedigree but if dude can do the trick i wouldnt be angry), with Frings pulling the strings from the back. I wouldnt put him in the primary creative roll anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Swiss German ("low German") is quite different from the German spoken in Germany. It is closer to what the Pennsylvania Dutch speak.

However many low German speakers are bilingual, and can speak regular German as well.
    they shouldnt have any problems understanding each other, more or less dialects
    Last edited by Ossington Mental Youth; 06-29-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not trying to rain on the parade here .... but in looking at the Frings highlights looks like a lot of those goals were likely pk's. He may be very capable of scoring goals here but I would not read too much into his goal numbers without considering this.

Heathen

He definitely gets forward more than a pure DM, he's got 1 goal every 8 international games for Germany and has averaged 1 every 7 domestically. You also have to consider that what he did for Germany, Werder and Bayern isn't necessarily what he'll be doing for us, he won't be playing second or third fiddle to Schweinsteiger, Ozul, Diego etc. In those sides he was given a specific job to do but the sense I from seeing him is is that he's capable of taking on a bigger role for us.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Not trying to rain on the parade here .... but in looking at the Frings highlights looks like a lot of those goals were likely pk's. He may be very capable of scoring goals here but I would not read too much into his goal numbers without considering this.
    It's OK, as long as Toledo is reffing, there will be plenty of PKs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Pachuco, LucaGol - I do know we also have Bekker trialing with us, i suspect he'll be primary playmaker (id still like to see stronger pedigree but if dude can do the trick i wouldnt be angry), with Frings pulling the strings from the back.
    Point me to your source with regard to how Bekker is eligible to sign, please.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not gonna go back and read 19 pages of comments ... just gonna say that these signings have me rather pleased ... Koevermans is someone i'd been thinking of for a few years that would be a good fit for mls (him and Theo Jannsen i'm quite keen on) ... i hope this works out
    ~ illegitimi non carborundum ~

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woke up about an hour ago to the news and am still trying to get a handle on the signings. Not really sure what I think of all this, to be honest.

Koevermans is a player I "get" as a acquisition. He's an experienced striker with a pretty good record for the Dutch league. Has played for some pretty prestigeous teams (I certainly recognise PSV and Rotterdam) andfits into the roster quite well. We needed a goal-scorer and here one is. As for Frings, I'm sorta scratching my head over that one. Can't knock the guy's overall record considering where he's from, but I just wasn't expecting to see a 34 year-old defensive mid being brought in. I suppose this pretty much assures JDG's departure before next season. Admittedly, the more I compare the two of them, the more I agree that Frings will liekly turn out to be the superior player between him and JDG.

I dunno. A lot to process in one go. I like the acquisitions overall, I'm just not sure if I should be getting any champagne chilled, though.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pachuco, LucaGol - I do know we also have Bekker trialing with us, i suspect he'll be primary playmaker (id still like to see stronger pedigree but if dude can do the trick i wouldnt be angry), with Frings pulling the strings from the back. I wouldnt put him in the primary creative roll anyways.

they shouldnt have any problems understanding each other, more or less dialects
    Ok, you are scaring me. TFC surely isn't dumb enough to sign another DP DM without either getting rid of JDG right away, or with the intent to play him as the primary playmaker. Especially considering we have Tchani and Sturgis.

So if you wouldn't play him as a primary play maker, I'm scared. Even if we get JDG, we still need a playmaker. Should be #1 thing they were looking for. We didn't even need a striker before a playmaker in my mind.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...TFC surely isn't dumb enough to sign another DP DM without either getting rid of JDG right away...
    In a "rebuilding" year it is all about putting the pieces in place for the following season. JDG will be gone when his contract expires so if a suitable replacement comes on the market now, who knows how to play the midfield anchor role in Winter's preferred "point back" 4-5-1/4-3-3 system, it makes sense to sign him because the timing is very much now where getting ready for 2012 is concerned in terms of the European transfer market because most contracts expire during the summer over there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's OK, as long as Toledo is reffing, there will be plenty of PKs.
    LOL indeed. But also good chance Frings is red carded before he gets to take them if Toledo is in charge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    In a "rebuilding" year it is all about putting the pieces in place for the following season. JDG will be gone when his contract expires so if a suitable replacement comes on the market now, who knows how to play the midfield anchor role in Winter's preferred "point back" 4-5-1/4-3-3 system, it makes sense to sign him because the timing is very much now where getting ready for 2012 is concerned in terms of the European transfer market because most contracts expire during the summer over there.
    You may have a point. Still would be quite crazy to have two DP DMs and to other DMs on your team. That must be a first.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may have a point. Still would be quite crazy to have two DP DMs and to other DMs on your team. That must be a first.
    Agree.. but it is important to have some solid depth at that position, especially since we may often opt to play two DM's to pad our back-line with.

I can see us ending up with three DM's at the start of next season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have to get rid of JDG and bring in some width. Martina, Soolsma are not the answers. Plata is 2 years away from being a consistent starter, Eckersley is a solid RB, Borman ok for MLS. But until they get two guys who can play off their striker and provide with the team will still be unable to score goals

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    They have to get rid of JDG and bring in some width. Martina, Soolsma are not the answers. Plata is 2 years away from being a consistent starter, Eckersley is a solid RB, Borman ok for MLS. But until they get two guys who can play off their striker and provide with the team will still be unable to score goals
    Eckersley needs to be signed long term, he is clearly still the best acquisition Winter has made, is needed to shore up this defense. JDG probably wants out anyway, so his departure from TFC is likely imminent.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Happy with the signings. A little scary when you consider their ages.

At the same time, while skills do decline with age, they are at a higher plateau than most anyone in this league.

Sounds like Winter is looking for further defensive help from within the league. The trade winds are a-brewing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oxygenatedbrain View Post
    Point me to your source with regard to how Bekker is eligible to sign, please.
    my bad i misread somewhere, thought he was finished school

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, you are scaring me. TFC surely isn't dumb enough to sign another DP DM without either getting rid of JDG right away, or with the intent to play him as the primary playmaker. Especially considering we have Tchani and Sturgis.

So if you wouldn't play him as a primary play maker, I'm scared. Even if we get JDG, we still need a playmaker. Should be #1 thing they were looking for. We didn't even need a striker before a playmaker in my mind.
    I do seem to think hes meant to replace JDG, as for play as creative mid, erg.... i tend to agree we will need one badly as well, hate to say it. Winter definitely said we're in need of another defender (im assuming CB). Could it be that theyll play Koevermans as a 10? is that possible? far as i know hes a straight up CF

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend already bought a TFC Frings jersey.....

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....I do seem to think hes meant to replace JDG, as for play as creative mid, erg....
    If the plan is to use 4-2-3-1 then an Amado Guevara type player is the way to go. If as there is strong reason to believe Winter prefers 4-1-4-1 (or whatever you choose to call it) then a player like Frings is arguably the better fit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    Agreed on everything except Soolsma. The guy may be slow, but he always gets a cross in & rarely loses a ball, even against faster defenders. He's definitely MLS quality.

Just a crazy idea: I wonder if Santos could do a decent job at front left, with his excellent left foot? He and Koef could also switch off throughout the game to throw off the marking.

Plata's great for his age, but we've been relying much too heavily on him. At his current level, he would be a great 70-minute sub though, for some of our older strikers, and to continue his development.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-29-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    My friend already bought a TFC Frings jersey.....
    I got the very first one today at BMO and met with him after the game to get it signed first as well.

He is a Klinnsmann signing and Klinnsmann is still very involved with the goings on here.

He is also going to need to learn English better as they want him to be a leader and role model for the club and the youth going forward.

As a huge German footy supporter I find it almost surreal that we have signed him. Let's hope the tide had finally turned.

Koevermans is pumped about playing here and playing with Frings as well. He Kept on talking about how we will hoist the Cup on Saturday and he can't wait for it, along with his first match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about tchani relegated to the bench? and then play with frings AND JDG in a triangle midfield 3?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Agreed on everything except Soolsma. The guy may be slow, but he always gets a cross in....
    ...and judging from the youtube clips posted earlier Koevermans will know how to attack the front post on some of the low crosses he sends in. Not 100% sold on Soolsma but under the circumstances of his signing (late coaching appointment during the winter window when fewer good players are available) and given the sub-100k cap number he has worked out OK. Martina has been the disappointment.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Agreed on everything except Soolsma. The guy may be slow, but he always gets a cross in & rarely loses a ball, even against faster defenders. He's definitely MLS quality.

Just a crazy idea: I wonder if Santos could do a decent job at front left, with his excellent left foot? He and Koef could also switch off throughout the game to throw off the marking.

Plata's great for his age, but we've been relying much too heavily on him. At his current stage of development, he would be a great 70-minute sub though, for some of our older strikers, and to continue his development.
    I dont mind Sools as a change, but Im not sold on him to start, he simpy does not score enough to warrant a starting position in the lineup. You need your front three to be scorers and if it was a traditional 442, he would be fine, not when you need someone who needs to score.

I think when Santos was put wide he was not involved enough. I would not be surprised to see Santos moved to be honest as its looking like he is without a position unless he can develop himself as an AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what? no line-ups yet?
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018