Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    As per @KristianRDyer
    Soler also conceded that this was a move to shore up the team's defensive posture and bring in a player to work alongside Teemu Tainio.
    Somebody call up Dyer and tell him he's got it wrong.
    I wouldn't dare tell him he's got it wrong. He also wrote:

"A Canadian international, De Rosario was acquired by the Red Bulls nearly three months ago in exchange for promising midfielder Tony Tchani, left back Danleigh Borman and a first round pick in next year’s SuperDraft. A perennial All-Star selection, De Rosario produced two goals and four assists during his short stay in New York, a disappointing tenure for a player whom head coach Hans Backe called in early April “the last piece” to the Red Bulls attack."

and also wrote:

"De Rosario was in the final year of his contract with the league and was open in stating that he was looking for Designated Player money next year."

... so no, I won't write him to tell him he has it wrong. You can though.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-more-signings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Also I find NY's sudden need for a DM kind of funny. They traded a pretty good one away for Dero 3 months ago! Personally, I would not trade Tchani for McCarthy.
    Yes that is pretty funny. And had Winter/Mariner done this then I am sure they would be crucified for it ...... but since it was Backe/Soler it is obviously just a brilliant move to shore up the team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was a good football trade for both teams. NY gets younger and without a doubt DeRo helped a lot with their attack, but with Sutton in net, it sounds like Backe wants more possession and less counter attacks. DCU gets one of the best attacking players while DeRo gets to be the centre of attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's fascinating that someone of De Ro's stature and presence in MLS is traded twice in one season.

I'm trying to think of when that kind of move has happened since I started watching the league in 2007. Anyone have a comparable example of such a player traded twice in one season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NY got an asset in return for trading an asset. That's business. That's sports. And neither prove your points about DeRo either failing in NY or being traded because he was not useful or because of contract negotiations going poorly.
    To be fair though roogsy this trade would not have happened if dero had a few more goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Yes that is pretty funny. And had Winter/Mariner done this then I am sure they would be crucified for it ...... but since it was Backe/Soler it is obviously just a brilliant move to shore up the team.
    Well you know .. being 6th place as opposed to dead last will afford you some flexibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Dero stats this season:

New York:

13 games , 2 goals, 4 assists.

TFC:

2 games , 1 goal, 1 Assist.

Canada

3 games, 2 goals, both pens though.

I wish TFC had some more washed up players like him.
    Pop quiz. How many of those goals were PK's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Very different situations. NY have players that can score, and can afford to sacrifice one. We don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    I think it was a good football trade for both teams. NY gets younger and without a doubt DeRo helped a lot with their attack, but with Sutton in net, it sounds like Backe wants more possession and less counter attacks. DCU gets one of the best attacking players while DeRo gets to be the centre of attention.
    One of the rumors floating around is that they have cleared cap space to bring in Hahnemann as a DP.

Folks around here think we are picking up a lot of his salary. Ives seems to think it was a salary dump, which implies otherwise. He said:

. It should be noted that New York frees up more money to spend, as De Rosario's base salary ($425,000) was significantly higher than McCarty's ($155,000).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    To be fair though roogsy this trade would not have happened if dero had a few more goals.

I doubt this is true. According to Soler they've been after McCarty since last year. Which means they rate him highly. All evidence points to DeRo being welcome and appreciated at NY, according to Soler and Backe, how much more appreciated would he be if he had 4 goals instead of 2? The point is DC got what it wanted, NY got what it wanted and that's all this trade is regardless of what those of us on this TFC board think or try to twist it into.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 06-28-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Folks around here think we are picking up a lot of his salary. Ives seems to think it was a salary dump, which implies otherwise. He said:
    Pure speculation on my part but maybe TFC provided the allocation money required to keep him under the threshold where he would have to be a DP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    One of the rumors floating around is that they have cleared cap space to bring in Hahnemann as a DP.

It was reported in the NY Post:

"the Post has learned he 1) has a deal in place with the Red Bulls he's happy with, 2) doesn't count as a Designated Player because Toronto is picking up “a significant amount” of his salary, and 3) won't force New York to move one of its 10 internationals because he holds a green card."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I laugh if DeRo comes back to Toronto FC next season. lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSO_BBTB View Post
    Pure speculation on my part but maybe TFC provided the allocation money required to keep him under the threshold where he would have to be a DP?
    That must be it. Same as trading an actual allocation.

It could be serious dollars (eg a couple of hundred thousand)
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I doubt this is true. According to Soler they've been after McCarty since last year. Which means they rate him highly. All evidence points to DeRo being welcome and appreciated at NY, according to Soler and Backe, how much more appreciated would he be if he had 4 goals instead of 2? The point is DC got what it wanted, NY got what it wanted and that's all this trade is regardless of what those of us on this TFC board think or try to twist it into.
    Both teams may be happy with the deal. It's totally plausible that they each got what they wanted/needed.

The interesting parts are:

-how little dc gave up for "one of the best attacking players in the league.
    -how short deros stay was at nyrb

These two things show me that TFC were right not to give him DP status/money and that those who said his stock was declining when he left TFC were right.

You're right. Both teams got what they want.

DC got Dero and NY got RID of Dero.

And my prediction is that DC will be rid of him sooner than later too. Lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I laugh if DeRo comes back to Toronto FC next season. lol
    was thinking this too

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    was thinking this too
    Based on our current lack of scoring ability, I wouldn't mind to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    it's fascinating that someone of De Ro's stature and presence in MLS is traded twice in one season.

I'm trying to think of when that kind of move has happened since I started watching the league in 2007. Anyone have a comparable example of such a player traded twice in one season?
    Randy Moss. Patriots --> Vikings --> Titans.

Although he was let go from the Vikings and claimed by the Titans. Close enough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaos View Post
    Based on our current lack of scoring ability, I wouldn't mind to be honest.

If management wanted him, he was happy playing here, a good influence on the team, and putting the ball in the net I would not care if he was back.

I sure as hell took DeRo to task for some of his past decisions but I do not hold some personal grudge against the guy. Winning in footy is business and as much as we fans are invested emotionally, you need to separate those emotions to do what's best to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Randy Moss. Patriots --> Vikings --> Titans.

Although he was let go from the Vikings and claimed by the Titans. Close enough.
    Maybe the irony of that whole sequence is that even though the patriots were a good team, they totally lacked a deep threat post-moss, and that hurt them in the playoffs.

Stock down or not, I think we all know that Captain pay me would be an asset to our sorry state of a team here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

You're entitled to your opinion, I am just wondering if you have any basis for which to base this claim that they wanted to get rid of him as opposed to what the current evidence shows which is that this is the price they had to pay to acquire someone they've been after for a year? I am interested in seeing this evidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

It's not MLS, but in 1998 Mike Piazza was traded twice in 8 days, from the Dodgers to the Marlins to the Mets.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo's gone. That's pretty evident. And a base as to how much NY valued him. Less than the new guy.

I don't think it matters how much NY wanted him gone. They did. He is.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am interested in seeing this evidence.
    This is the interweb! Since when is evidence required to be right?!?
    Anything written becomes fact

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    DeRo's gone. That's pretty evident. And a base as to how much NY valued him. Less than the new guy.

I don't think it matters how much NY wanted him gone. They did. He is.

Again, evidence please.

Because a trade for a different player is not "evidence". It's perfectly explained by the "needs" that NY has on their backline. Did Winter want DeRo gone? I know for a fact he didn't. So don't give me this "when a player is traded it's because the team wanted him out". It's an easy excuse that has no basis whatsoever in reality. For heaven's sakes, the Oilers traded Gretzky away in his prime. Why? Because they had a need to address.

A trade is never equal like for like. In hockey, if you trade a forward for a defender, can you compare the two? Teams make trades because they look at their roster, identify where they are weakest and look at the assets they have to trade. NY had few, DeRo was one of them, they needed help on the backline, they pulled the trade with DC. It's as easy as that and you guys are working overtime to make it into something it's not.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 06-29-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    Both teams may be happy with the deal. It's totally plausible that they each got what they wanted/needed.

The interesting parts are:

-how little dc gave up for "one of the best attacking players in the league.
    -how short deros stay was at nyrb

These two things show me that TFC were right not to give him DP status/money and that those who said his stock was declining when he left TFC were right.

And my prediction is that DC will be rid of him sooner than later too. Lol
    Some of us happen to think, and have been saying all along that Dero is worth to TFC more then he would be to another team. He had career years here and if there is ANYTHING that proves what Dero was worth to TFC it's how fucking terrible this team is without him. Absolutely fucking terrible without him.

I'm going to laugh my ass off if we sign the dutch dude to a low-end DP contract (which is what would've made Dero stay) and he doesn't atleast match Dero's output while he was TFC. And that's being generous, considering Dero spent his time playing 3 different positions (wing, striker/forward and AM).

As for how little NY gave up for him, how much did they freeking pay for him? 3 players, 1 of which most people think could be a future star.

He wasn't the final piece NY was looking for, that's fine. Happens with star players all the time. If Dero takes DC United to the playoffs (which I think he's very capable of doing), specially if he's given freedom to roam which is what he needs, then he'll be a hot ticket come the end of the year. If he doesn't, then we'll know his TRUE value when he's shopping for a contract.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, evidence please.

Because a trade for a different player is not "evidence". It's perfectly explained by the "needs" that NY has on their backline. Did Winter want DeRo gone? I know for a fact he didn't. So don't give me this "when a player is traded it's because the team wanted him out". It's an easy excuse that has no basis whatsoever in reality. For heaven's sakes, the Oilers traded Gretzky away in his prime. Why? Because they had a need to address.
    Prove to me they wanted to keep him.

Otherwise NY didn't want him as much as the new guy. If you want to pretty it up to save somebody's face that's your problem. If NY wanted to do something extreme to keep DeRo they could have and in all likelihood the more extreme the quicker we'd hear about it.

So DeRo is traded and your first inkling is that his team was forced to do it and he was ripped away from the arms of his coach?

All I'm saying is from what we know so far DeRo got traded for someone and he's not coming out and saying he forced this trade. So someone else did.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    He wasn't the final piece NY was looking for, that's fine. Happens with star players all the time. If Dero takes DC United to the playoffs (which I think he's very capable of doing), specially if he's given freedom to roam which is what he needs, then he'll be a hot ticket come the end of the year. If he doesn't, then we'll know his TRUE value when he's shopping for a contract.
    I already called it in a previous post that DeRo was going to push DC into a playoff spot. Don't take credit for my prediction!

The funny thing is that nobody here would bet against DeRo scoring more goals this year and yet somehow they're arguing that he is a disappointment. His own career average points to him scoring probably 6 goals this year, even with his slow start in NY. How many players is Toronto going to have that will score 6 goals? 2....maybe? And those are the ones we consider our "best players" not to mention their position is of FORWARDS. For an AM to reach that number in this league highlights their quality. Sometimes the logic on this board astounds me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe the irony of that whole sequence is that even though the patriots were a good team, they totally lacked a deep threat post-moss, and that hurt them in the playoffs.

Stock down or not, I think we all know that Captain pay me would be an asset to our sorry state of a team here.

Has Mariner made any other trades besides this one that was forced on him? Most people seem to feel he did well with the trade, so why not a couple more?

At least NY aren't just going to stand pat with a team that isn't good enough.

It seems like we have the least active management team in the league - and the most complaints that the players aren't good enough.

Like Suds says, it isn't personal, it's business. We've been very patient but it's obvious the other teams in the league aren't going to do nothing and wait while TFC takes its time building this new "system." When will our team start trying to get better? (I know, apparently there's one guy negotiating a contract now, hope he comes to terms and doesn't end up in San Jose...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're entitled to your opinion, I am just wondering if you have any basis for which to base this claim that they wanted to get rid of him as opposed to what the current evidence shows which is that this is the price they had to pay to acquire someone they've been after for a year? I am interested in seeing this evidence.
    Based on what they paid TFC for dero and the value he's been given by some TFC supporters (ie. One of the best attacking players in the league, deserving of a dp contract and not on the decline) I find it odd that NYRB would accept so little in return for him.

You'd think if NYRB was so in need of a midfielder to shore up their defensive liabilities they'd be able to get more than an unproven, sporadically starting midfielder having a bad year.

Sure..NYRB may have wanted dax since last year but if you'd have asked them last year if Dax for Dero was a balanced deal theyd likely have laughed.

If Dero is such a bonafide star he'd have garnered a better defensive mid fielder than dax.

That, coupled with the fact that he was traded after less than half a season tells me that NYRB didnt want/need him and sought out the best they could get for him...which, as I've stated wasn't nearly as much as many thought.

If we had traded dero for dax instead of tchani, borman and a first people would be screaming bloody murder.

I don't know if you need backes or soler to come out and say they wanted rid of him to believe thats what happened but I don't. Their actions tell me that.