Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All in all I guess his dream of DP money is gone now...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

surprising that some people are shocked about this, they were shopping for dero when we initially put him up, but here's what united fans are saying:

I do not approve. Dero is a head case. 3 teams in a half a ********ing year. jersey wouldn't get rid of him to a potential playoff rival if he was going to be good for us. Clearly he isn't working there. ******** ******** ********

Wow wow wow!!!! That's a fantastic trade!!! This is almost a Roy for Roy part deux.

this is a weird one... deRo is still a very good player, but for how long?

whereas, we were supposed to build our team around dax for the next 10 years... i know it hasn't gone as well as we wanted with him, but why pull the plug so quickly?

I just hope DeRo has something left in the tank - if he does I can really see him being successful in pulling the strings on our young attack - because our attackers ARE making the right runs, etc. We also have someone other than Najar who can take freekicks now.

I have never been a fan of De Ro. Sorry. Add to that the 33 year old "sell by date" on the side of his carton and I leery. Sorry end of the day I cannot get excited about this trade.

Even if we don't seriously contend in the next couple years, playing along side DeRo will immediately speed up the development of our young players, not to mention putting butts in the seats.

Good trade. I ********ing hate DeRo though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish we knew De Ro was on the block. We could've traded Tchani and Borman for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tchani's fine and will only get better.
    Dunno bout Borman, hes mostly just a bench player getting alot of playing time right now cuz we dont have anyone to play his position

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Tchani's fine and will only get better.
    Dunno bout Borman, hes mostly just a bench player getting alot of playing time right now cuz we dont have anyone to play his position
    I think Borman is a more than acceptable fullback in the MLS. not great, but serviceable. In a tightly capped league, you are are going to have to accept a lower standard in some positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
    It is too bad for him, had he stayed with tfc he would have made 400k+ a year for a long time for all the reasons you mention above, not to mention post playing gigs a la brennan and danger danny. doubt he will ever see that money again.
    Great player, poor business sense. He will never be as marketable as he was here.

"post playing gigs a la brennan and danger danny."

5000% AGREE... THIS DIDNT EVEN CROSS MY MIND.
    HE COULD OF MADE A DEAL LIKE TOTTI DID WITH ROMA
    10 YEARS PLAY FOR 3 OR 4 THEN 6 - 7 YEARS IN THE OFFICE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I think Borman is a more than acceptable fullback in the MLS. not great, but serviceable. In a tightly capped league, you are are going to have to accept a lower standard in some positions.
    For $42 000/year absolutely. If we compare him to Gargan who plays a similar role and earns a little more, Borman is way better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    For $42 000/year absolutely. If we compare him to Gargan who plays a similar role and earns a little more, Borman is way better.
    oh yeah, i just think we can do better, i dont even mind borman ftr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a fall from grace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC USA View Post
    Why the hell would any player of his quality stay on our sinking ship?
    Here's a better question:

Why the hell would any player of his quality get traded to a rival by a good team in the middle of the season?

It's one thing for a bad team to trade De Ro but the team that wanted him then dumps him mid season? What does that say about De Ro? I would say it says De Ro isn't the keep-at-all-costs type of player that many TFC fans think he is. The NYRB have clearly shown that opinion.
    Last edited by rocker; 06-28-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pass the dero 'pon the left hand side

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzeo11 View Post
    "post playing gigs a la brennan and danger danny."

5000% AGREE... THIS DIDNT EVEN CROSS MY MIND.
    HE COULD OF MADE A DEAL LIKE TOTTI DID WITH ROMA
    10 YEARS PLAY FOR 3 OR 4 THEN 6 - 7 YEARS IN THE OFFICE
    new contest:

NAME CLASSES FORMER TFC PLAYERS WOULD RUN AT THE ACADEMY

winner gets a beer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    pass the dero 'pon the left hand side
    and you joke, but don't forget that dero used to look like this:

i'll also just leave this here:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Here's a better question:

Why the hell would any player of his quality get traded to a rival by a good team in the middle of the season?

It's one thing for a bad team to trade De Ro but the team that wanted him then dumps him mid season? What does that say about De Ro? I would say it says De Ro isn't the keep-at-all-costs type of player that many TFC fans think he is. The NYRB have clearly shown that opinion.
    Seemed like a good fit for him in NY although their supporters arent exactly rioting over the fact that he's gone. My assumption is that the nat team duties made him over-valued based on his salary and the games he would actually play in.

Basically they were paying him $400k for part-time or 3/4 time work as he was away for the Gold Cup and could possibly be away for WC qualifying. That amounts to a player value of nealry $800k, making him expendable.

My guess here is that they will bring in a midfileder that won't have nat team committments and give him a lower-end DP contract. Obviously NYRB will need to spend the extra cash but would effectively increase the value of the squad on the pitch.

My underlying point here is that this is proof that he's not the million dollar a year player that he thinks he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    All in all I guess his dream of DP money is gone now...

there's always the Limpact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    new contest:

NAME CLASSES FORMER TFC PLAYERS WOULD RUN AT THE ACADEMY

winner gets a beer.
    "How to eat a whole pie without using your hands" - Colin Samuel

"How to stay still for 90 minutes" - Nick Garcia w/special Guest Instructor Mista.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and you joke
    i've never joked in my life, sir

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Basically they were paying him $400k for part-time or 3/4 time work as he was away for the Gold Cup and could possibly be away for WC qualifying. That amounts to a player value of nealry $800k, making him expendable
    The thing is nobody really knows how much TFC is paying of De Rosario's salary. Half is probably a good guess (my guess is whatever number makes the De Rosario for Tchani and Borman trade neutral to each team's cap).

I know its cool to hate De Rosario here, but if the speculation is true that he lost favour in New York because he had the audacity to play for Canada in the Gold Cup, than that just makes me respect De Rosario even more.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it's not about losing favour or falling short of expectations. Sometimes teams identify needs and make moves. People are reading too much into this trade.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    "How to eat a whole pie without using your hands" - Colin Samuel

"How to stay still for 90 minutes" - Nick Garcia w/special Guest Instructor Mista.

translational locomotion of an object in respect to a surface with ricketts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Sometimes it's not about losing favour or falling short of expectations. Sometimes teams identify needs and make moves. People are reading too much into this trade.
    Agreed.

As I posted earlier, the most obvious and likely reason for the trade is two teams tweaking their roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

translational locomotion of an object in respect to a surface with ricketts
    A book reading of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" with guest, Mo Johnson

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

National team duties were known at the time of the original Toronto to NY deal though, weren't they? It's not like it is something new.

At the end of the day, the trade is simple. The NYRB want to win now and don't believe they can do it with DeRosario and would prefer to use his roster spot to acquire something else. You can conclude that DeRo didn't live up to his hype or simply that the Red Bulls have deeper needs they need to address and took a chance to clear a roster spot. Either or he wasn't seen as a key piece of their Cup drive therefore was expendable.

A couple of reporters in NY are claiming that DeRo was expecting a DP contract at the season's end and the NYRB's decided that his current production just wasn't going to be enough to meet those demands. Rather than find themselves in the same place Winter did, they cut their losses. And their losses of Tchani, Borman and a 1st round pick are pretty high at the moment. I suspect more will emerge on this story over time. DeRo's twitter is surprisingly silent over the last 24 hours.

For me, this just reinforces the view that DeRo was not capable of leading a team given his age, baggage and future expectations. I am VERY happy that Winter did not cave and dish out a multi-year DP contract on a marginal return. We already have one of those.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    the Red Bulls have deeper needs they need to address and took a chance to clear a roster spot.
    They didn't clear a roster spot though, they picked up a player in return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also possible that the NY had a better option made available to them in this coming transfer window, and they moved DeRo to open up cap space for that. It could have nothing to do with his performances or attitude.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

National team duties were known at the time of the original Toronto to NY deal though, weren't they? It's not like it is something new.
    And...

Dero is not the only player the Bulls lost to the Cup.
    Some guy named Rafa was gone, won the cup, and may have an injury because of it.

I think the NYC media might have been more pre-occupies with the 5 Mil a year guy then the old Canadian guy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day, the trade is simple. The NYRB want to win now and don't believe they can do it with DeRosario and would prefer to use his roster spot to acquire something else. You can conclude that DeRo didn't live up to his hype or simply that the Red Bulls have deeper needs they need to address and took a chance to clear a roster spot. Either or he wasn't seen as a key piece of their Cup drive therefore was expendable.

A couple of reporters in NY are claiming that DeRo was expecting a DP contract at the season's end and the NYRB's decided that his current production just wasn't going to be enough to meet those demands. Rather than find themselves in the same place Winter did, they cut their losses. And their losses of Tchani, Borman and a 1st round pick are pretty high at the moment. I suspect more will emerge on this story over time. DeRo's twitter is surprisingly silent over the last 24 hours.

For me, this just reinforces the view that DeRo was not capable of leading a team given his age, baggage and future expectations. I am VERY happy that Winter did not cave and dish out a multi-year DP contract on a marginal return. We already have one of those.
    This is the part where rumours become commonly accepted facts without any evidence.

DeRo was not making any demands of NYRB. Where the negotiations at the end of the year would have gone is anyone's guess but anyone stating that DeRo was already making demands about the kind of contract to be negotiated is just making stuff up. He's been too busy playing for both NY and CMNT not to mention his family STILL not being down in NY while they were taking care of things in Toronto. There hasn't been TIME to discuss the contract, which wasn't on the agenda until the end of the year, both sides had already agreed.

As for "living up to the hype", that is more a product of fan opinion than coach opinion. I spoke with Backe last month and he was happy with the production from DeRo because he was brought in as a "setup man". With NYRB scoring more goals than anyone in the league, including the front-running LA Galaxy, Backe is not displeased with his forwards, any of them and it is a complete reach to say that the coach believes he hasn't "lived up to the hype" when he has done what the coach has asked him to do.

Anyone with even a minimal amount of viewing time of NY knows that what the team has struggled to do is keep goals out. And look what they traded for, a Defensive Midfielder! So really, how unbelievable is it to simply see this as two teams addressing needs they have identified as being necessary to take the next step? DC has a decent attack but is still middle of the pack and McCarty hasn't fit well. NY has an awesome attack, one that probably will be affected in only a small way with DeRo's departure but they get a better option at DM, hopefully helping them turn all high-scoring ties into wins. Especially since they lost some unknown player named Rafa Marquez to injury. Surely that didn't play a part in this decision? Naaaaah...it was the chicken dance.

Pookie, anything short of an MLS Cup would have "reinforced" to you that DeRo couldn't do this, that or the other. The only proof that is worth anything is the standings and the stats and in both, DeRo is still proving to be effective and a loss to TFC.

As a side note, I would be interested in seeing what you have to say about Koeverman possibly coming in to TFC? One of your biggest arguments against DeRo's contract extension was his age. Koeverman is almost exactly 6 months younger than DeRo. Is there no risk there or do Europeans age slower than North Americans?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Menelaos View Post
    And...

Dero is not the only player the Bulls lost to the Cup.
    Some guy named Rafa was gone, won the cup, and may have an injury because of it.

I think the NYC media might have been more pre-occupies with the 5 Mil a year guy then the old Canadian guy.
    Except I don't recall Backe making public comments on Marquez's Gold Cup duty.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccer...zQMKALLgiBPYIP

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post

Backe hates the Gold Cup. He lost Rafa Marquez to the tournament. Most club coaches loathe the regional tournaments because all the risk is to the club and the coach is ultimately judged on the performance of the club not the national teams.

But I doubt this move is retribution for DeRo's decision. It just seems to me that it's two teams addressing the needs for a playoff push.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post

Maybe thats where he should have been making his comments