Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Red Bulls File Formal Complaint Regarding Game Refereeing

Apparently the fouls went 25-5 against NY last Saturday

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ty/?ref=soccer
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I clicked the link, I thought the ref had to be either Toledo or Salazar. Sure enough.

Fuckers. Someone should start a website, maybe call it "The Real 12th Man," and chronicle all the bullshit that goes on every game, week in and week out.

Shaming these guys into upping the standard of officiating could actually have a meaningful impact. But since I can barely edit a Word document with tracking changes, I'll leave it to those more technologically adept than me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DDR with the game tying goal after NYRB were down 3-1.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I noticed that right after the game:

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Wow, I watched parts of the Portland - NY game on MatchDay Live, and just went back to re-watch some parts. I wonder what John Spencer will say about the officiating for this match... 5 fouls committed by Portland, 25 by NY... really? Henry red-carded for something strange happening off the ball, in 2nd half stoppage time. Card given after Moffat & Henry were already joking with each other about whatever happened. The red card didn't help Portland though; the additional extra time added for that situation, was exactly the time needed by NY to draw the penalty & tie it up. The two penalties called seemed legit though.
    NY is complaining about the unequal number of fouls called, and the red card to Henry. The fouls could easily be reviewed on the game tape. Regarding the red: not sure if there was another camera in the stadium that caught that action: nothing relevant was shown in the full game video & the highlights.

Overall, I'm not sure why NY is complaining though, because it really seems like the game went their way in the end. Also, I though both penalties were totally OK. And the parts of the game that I saw, didn't seem to be horribly refereed -- but I admit I only watched part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ didn't spencer get sent off to boot?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on New York for loudly complaining. More teams should get behind them on this.

The officiating standard in MLS is pathetic, and it COULD be better, if MLS were willing to invest in it.

In this age of unprecedented league growth and expansion fees, there is no excuse for it.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    ^ didn't spencer get sent off to boot?
    Spencer had been sent off the previous game, and was therefore suspended and watching the NY game from a box up high in the stadium. They showed him a couple of times on TV during the game. So to then have such a bizarre game, with all these calls & card & PKs, was something.

Oh & BTW, in addition to the red card to Henry, NY had 4 yellows, to Portland's 2 yellows.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The league needs to bring in some designated referees.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    The league needs to bring in some designated referees.
    They need to bring over a couple of experienced top-flight referees from Europe (they could be retired), and get them to train and "coach" MLS officials.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    They need to bring over a couple of experienced top-flight referees from Europe
    They'd tear this league up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    They'd tear this league up.

- Scott

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone see the highlights of the DCU/RSL match? Man that Davies sure can fool'em.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i7CXAfl7hM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    Did anyone see the highlights of the DCU/RSL match? Man that Davies sure can fool'em.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i7CXAfl7hM

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    They need to bring over a couple of experienced top-flight referees from Europe (they could be retired), and get them to train and "coach" MLS officials.

- Scott
    While we all know it needs to improve, how do you define success in measureable terms?

Even the best ref in the world has drawn criticism from fans, usually when the call(s) don't go their way.

Improvement is the (subjective) goal, so how will we know if we get there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like athletes -- there are top notch athletes and top notch refs. Just as MLS has guys who are low-division players, it also has low-division refs. What we need is some refs who have eventually made their way to the top leagues (they too work their way up based on performance) and who would find MLS child's play. Howard Webb reffed an MLS game a few years ago and it was wonderful. He was totally consistent, called pretty much everything that should be called, and the players respected him because he was a well known ref from a big league. I wonder if any EPL refs would be interested in a nice summer paycheque?

I'm all for the DP ref thing, although apparently they tried bringing over some refs in the past and it didn't work .... (but that was before my MLS time, so I don't know the exact history).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A blogger for the Washington Post wrote about it. It's interesting to see Davies's view on this. It is somewhat irrirtating.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...bDeH_blog.html

It will also be interesting to see if refs find it harder to give him the benefit of the doubt going forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    ok, is this a dive or is it avoiding injury? The challenge is still late and his only other option is to actually get fouled or risk stamping the other player, think fast and that falls gonna hurt whatever.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoiding injury would be to jump over the tackle or some sort of adjustment to the body.

This guy goes in head first and makes his body limp like he's doing a belly flop into a pool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess its more obvious in real time, but on that gif you dont quite catch the giveaway moment of hesitation before he goes down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to me, you can see him make a decision to go down....not avoid the tackle

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, this kid catches crazy breaks. What breaks my heart is that he's so skilled, yet has to resort to such bullshit. I'm still stinging from when he taunted TFC fans and that other time he left the field after a goal and tried to get into a display car standing near the pitch, only to find it locked -- and got no card.

Karma's a bitch, though. He'll learn that one day, and maybe it'll be in an important game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    ok, is this a dive or is it avoiding injury? The challenge is still late and his only other option is to actually get fouled or risk stamping the other player, think fast and that falls gonna hurt whatever.
    He could have jumped, or extended his stride over him. The fact that he immediately puts his hand in the air and looks for the referee says it all.

Perhaps it was a mixture of both, but he definitely takes the opportunity to flop like a wounded fish.

- Scott

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think what upsets me most about this is that davies was supposed to be such an inspirational story in the league. then he turned into a cunt whose dove twice in the past month to nab a penalty. not to mention taunting our supporters section and not getting a card the week after one of our guys gets a red for celebrating with fans.

personally, i'd like to hear something from the league. enough is enough. they either stand with their refs or state they're going to review their behaviour. their silence is considered weakness at this point.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the Bulls...it appears NYRB can't appeal Henry's redcard:
    http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pr...uspension.html

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I just noticed is that there 'appears' to be a linesman who runs through the video and is following the play. Unless he overran the play or was looking at the ground you would think he would have said, 'Nope, nope...DIVE!'
    MLS has a disciplinary committee for players...why not officials? The NFL has it and I think the NHL and MLB as well.
    Now these officials are supplied by the USSF so if the MLS can't call out these guys I would think the USSF would have some sort of review board. I would think the USSF would want to put the best that they have on the pitches for MLS but if this is it then I would LOVE to see the MLS clubs get together and tell USSF that if they can't provide better refs for matches that the league will pay to have European officials come over and do MLS matches.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This isn't an exaggeration, but I feel like the refs feel the need to be center stage in this league. I feel like they have this need to let everyone know they are there and they are in charge.

It's an ego issue IMO. They over compensate to show their authority. You can see it in their body language on the field and in their facial reactions when there's a close up on them on TV.

Not sure how else to describe it.

They also get too emotional with players. You can see most of them target a player or two and get on their ass for the rest of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's up on the yahoo home page too.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/bl...urn=sow-wp2615

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, also.. this is from a washington post article (i don't have the link, i closed it down after copying this). when the interviewer asked if the ref made the right call:

“I think the ref made the call, that’s what I think,” Davies said with a laugh.
    “Beautiful call,” fellow forward Josh Wolff chimed in.
    “That’s the one word to use, beautiful,” Davies agreed.
    “The key word is [Wingert] impeded you,” Wolff concluded.

what a fucking cunt.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the article I linked in my post.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ HAHAHAHA.
    that's where i got the article!! wowza, i completely fuckin missed that.

but yeah, i can speak volumes on what pieces of shit divers are, but this is the wrong thread to do it in.