Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Owen Hargreaves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoPat View Post
    I'd play for Canada. Isn't playing in the EPL enough exposure? Playing for Canada would have been the correct decision if you consider yourself Canadian.
    I believe he committed himself to England at the U20 level (which at the time committed you to the senior level as well) before breaking into Bayern's first team.

Edit: he made a sub appearance for Bayern shortly before England and his full Bayern debut a few weeks later.
    Last edited by brad; 09-22-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I never said people can't play for who they want. I have no clue why you quoted my post considering you didn't even touch on anything I said. All you did was drag the conversation back to the very beginning without going into any detail other than "People play for who they want. Canada sucks. That's the reality."

Sure! Play for whoever the fuck you want! My point was that they shouldn't drain our resources, waste our time and money, only to bail on us at the last minute. If you don't want to play for Canada, fuck off!

Welcome to the board.
    The "pieces of shit" comment seemed to imply it was like murder or something...something that shouldn't done...I dunno man. Bit too harsh, brah.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    oh my aching head.

How about this ENORmous grass roots interest turn up for Canada games. The CSA is improving their approach to getting people out with a minimal marketing budget so they can overpay people like Morace to get our teams the best guidance. The recent failure in raising interest in the Women's side will be felt for a while I'm afraid and we'll have Hart for at least this cycle. Let's keep in mind that by the next World cup the CSA will be overhauling their cracked system completely.

If you're going to propose more radical change let's hear it.

"proper infrastructure" isn't very specific.

The size of the crowds at soccer games is in direct correlation to the level of competition. For example, here in Ottawa we have great PDL and CSL teams but crowds are a few hundred at most. Next, they want to bring an NASL franchise. Like in Montreal and Toronto, the crowds for those games will be in the low thousands.

My point is, if you want to draw big interest and media go for the top - MLS. That's the top league in North Am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vergilg View Post
    The size of the crowds at soccer games is in direct correlation to the level of competition. For example, here in Ottawa we have great PDL and CSL teams but crowds are a few hundred at most. Next, they want to bring an NASL franchise. Like in Montreal and Toronto, the crowds for those games will be in the low thousands.

My point is, if you want to draw big interest and media go for the top - MLS. That's the top league in North Am.
    what are you talking about?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty classless taking not so subtle pot shots at his former clubs training. he should just move on with his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI: Joseph DiChara, a player who has never received a Canadian youth call up and plays in the Russian Premier League, has accepted an offer to play for Canada in October.

Look, a player who knows you don't have to play for every or any youth squad to play for the Senior National team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    FYI: Joseph DiChara, a player who has never received a Canadian youth call up and plays in the Russian Premier League, has accepted an offer to play for Canada in October.

Look, a player who knows you don't have to play for every or any youth squad to play for the Senior National team.
    He didn't play for anyone elses youth program. He also grew up here. Not a comparable to Hargreaves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    He didn't play for anyone elses youth program. He also grew up here. Not a comparable to Hargreaves
    You're right, he didn't play for Wales' youth program and jump to another country right after that.

Although Hargreaves did grow up in Canada, and spent the last years of his childhood in Germany. Neither of which are in the country he chose to play for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The current squad (according to Wikipedia) has the follwing players, who were NOT from Canada

Milan Borjan - GK-Serbian
    Mike Kluwkowski - D -Austrian
    Simeon Jackson - F- Jamaica
    Ian Hume- F- Scotland

Haidar Al-Shabiani - GK-Algeria
    Jacovic -D-Serbia
    Pacheco - M-Portugal

Seems we are happy to accept others but when a player does the same to us, we vilify the guy for the rest of his life?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Truth. CMNT supporters have a double standard.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    The current squad (according to Wikipedia) has the follwing players, who were NOT from Canada

Ian Hume- F- Scotland

Jacovic -D-Serbia
    Pacheco - M-Portugal

Seems we are happy to accept others but when a player does the same to us, we vilify the guy for the rest of his life?
    Most of those guys grew up in Canada through childhood and teen years at least.

We are crucifying Hargreaves for the manner which he rejected Canada and chose to play for England.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

We are crucifying Hargreaves for the manner which he rejected Canada and chose to play for England.
    That's the point. He learned his game here, but used his dad's passport for greater career possibilities. in addition, his example made it possible for others to think of doing the same.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That's the point. He learned his game here, but used his dad's passport for greater career possibilities. in addition, his example made it possible for others to think of doing the same.
    These.

i'm easy to find, i'll be at the bottom having fun!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ian Hume- F- Scotland

Jacovic -D-Serbia
    Pacheco - M-Portugal

This isnt exactly a fair example. Im not any of the above mentioned nationalities, so I dont really care who they turn their back's on. I'm a proud Canadian upset at another Canadian who chose not to play for (and represent) Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DichioTFC View Post
    ^ Truth. CMNT supporters have a double standard.
    It'd be a double standard if any of those players had grown up in the country they're listed under.

Every single one of them was raised in Canada and developed in the Canadian system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ian Hume- F- Scotland

Jacovic -D-Serbia
    Pacheco - M-Portugal

None of those players would crack their respective "other" national teams. Hargreaves rejected us, those players would be rejected by their teams. Not the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    You're right, he didn't play for Wales' youth program and jump to another country right after that.

Although Hargreaves did grow up in Canada, and spent the last years of his childhood in Germany. Neither of which are in the country he chose to play for.

I wasn't comenting on that particular traitors history. I'm referring to the kid you are talking about. If he did play for another countries youth team then I'd be more than happy to tell him to go fuck himself. International competition is the best from country a vs the best from country b. Not the best from country a, plus the guys who couldn't make country b vs the best from country b plus the ones who couldn't make country c. Or some glory chasing piece of donkey trash who "Just wants to play in the world cup". What about playing for the world cup for YOUR country, isnt that the point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCtoMUFC View Post
    None of those players would crack their respective "other" national teams. Hargreaves rejected us, those players would be rejected by their teams. Not the same.
    Borjan I think could have possibly made the serbian goalkeeper position. After the Stojkovic fiasco the spot is still being passed around to various domestic Serbian goalkeepers. Only problem is I havent seen a good serbian goalkeeper in a long time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much all football supporters have a double standard, it comes with the territory IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Pretty much all football supporters have a double standard, it comes with the territory IMHO.
    There is a double standard with everything. Any country will accept a traitor if he brings secrets/ info, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like you guys wrapped this up rather conclusively.

Any chance the OH thread can die now? I'd actually rather be talking about the DeRo trade.