Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paul Mariner: We're moving along

John Molinaro's latest article.

Mariner's thoughts on the club's progress.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...l-mariner.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read over that articel a couple times. I think the underlying tone is they (TFC caching staff) are realizing the squad they currently have are having a hard time learning the system as it pertains to various game situations. (ex. what do you do if a player makes a run and loses the ball way out of position, what's each players responsibility).

The challenge with any advanced team system in any team sport is it requires all the players on the filed/pitch/floor to do their jobs. Take one or two out and it creates big holes in the game plan. This is what is killing us right now.

I mused to Carts last night that right now when TFC play well we are slightly above average. (due to young team, some poor talent, still learning the system, etc) But when we have a few guys sucking on any given day TFC suck real bad.

I'm still down with the course the team has set in term of developing a style and working on getting or training the players to play it. I'm not a fan of adapting a system to the players because every year your team is different.

The one thing that stands out is when Mariner says they can build a style and field a fairly competitive team in the MLS. On that front TFC is failing at the current time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I'm still down with the course the team has set in term of developing a style and working on getting or training the players to play it. I'm not a fan of adapting a system to the players because every year your team is different.
    This is my view too, Suds. I'm glad the team are implementing a vision for how the team should play, and then searching for players that fit within that vision.

Not a whole lot to draw from this article, except the acknowedgement from the FO that they know they need better defenders and a goal-scorer. The rest is just the usual pablum offered by GM's and coaches whose teams are not playing well.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His top priorities? Signing a defender and getting a goal-scorer.

Is it still 2008?

Also, moving 'along'? Not 'forward', or 'in the right direction', but simply 'along'.

I know its just semantics but fuck, 'moving along' sounds like something an old man says because he is happy to not be dead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    His top priorities? Signing a defender and getting a goal-scorer.

Is it still 2008?

Also, moving 'along'? Not 'forward', or 'in the right direction', but simply 'along'.

I know its just semantics but fuck, 'moving along' sounds like something an old man says because he is happy to not be dead.
    I think you're picking it apart a bit too much, haha.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This is my view too, Suds. I'm glad the team are implementing a vision for how the team should play, and then searching for players that fit within that vision.

Not a whole lot to draw from this article, except the acknowedgement from the FO that they know they need better defenders and a goal-scorer. The rest is just the usual pablum offered by GM's and coaches whose teams are not playing well.

- Scott
    Actually, I found it interesting that Mariner himself thinks with the parity in this league you should be able to be competitive while rebuilding. It's obvious from the article that TFC isn't where they thought it would be at this point. The first step is admitting it and I'm happy they have, now let's see them do something about it. Looking forward to it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Actually, I found it interesting that Mariner himself thinks with the parity in this league you should be able to be competitive while rebuilding. It's obvious from the article that TFC isn't where they thought it would be at this point. The first step is admitting it and I'm happy they have, now let's see them do something about it. Looking forward to it.

Mariner admits it but people around here still don't believe it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The system is the foundation, we must stand behind our vision. It is a great system that is attractive. We must let the flower bloom....ive stated before, I will give Winter and Mariner until May 2012 then I will review my position....until then I fully stand behind our vision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I mused to Carts last night that right now when TFC play well we are slightly above average. (due to young team, some poor talent, still learning the system, etc) But when we have a few guys sucking on any given day TFC suck real bad.

I totally agree with this statement. Looks like there is still some finger pointing, going on after a mistake or those giveaways. TFC are showing signs of keeping their mouths closed and playing through said mistakes.

I'm hopeful by end of season the team will have a better mentality of stop
    complaining and just play.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"We're 13 games into the season. We still have a lot of games to play. Last Saturday may be a kick up the backside that everybody needed because we have to roll our sleeves up and show commitment on the field," stated Mariner.
    trouble is, this is the 'thin' part of the season where injuries pile up and we lose players to international duty.

Up until now, I feel that TFC has been moving laterally. We've replaced one system (or Mo's non-system) for another one (Winter's System). Problem is that we haven't made progress with that system, and are still losing games. Hopefully we've finished the lateral move, and can now focus on progressing.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I would like to think you could put a competitive team on the field [while rebuilding]. Because let's face it, there is a lot of parity in MLS."

i completely believe this, and expect them to produce some better results with what they have.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Mariner admits it but people around here still don't believe it.
    Totally agree. I'm amazed at how often season seat holders who pay lots of good money for their tickets say "Ah well, it's a rebuilding year, so I've written it off."

That's ridiculous to me in this league. This is one of the few instances that parity can help a struggling team along: if you make the right moves, you can salvage your season in 10 games or less.

I think the way we're looking and with the depth issues we face, Winter will have to soon pick CCL or MLS and push in one and abandon the other (of course assuming Vancouver doesn't snatch the title from our hands).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he's bang on about what TFC need RIGHT NOW....a CB and DP Scorer....I'm really disappointed in Stevanovic's "progress"....seeing him playing in Serie A he looked like he could be a force here, but either his confidence is shattered or those highlights I saw were an aberation....but I still have faith in Winter and Mariner...let's give them a chance...Now we just need to crush KC today and get some confidence and momentum....

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I would like to think you could put a competitive team on the field [while rebuilding]. Because let's face it, there is a lot of parity in MLS."
    Glad to see someone at the club has the guts to set the record straight on what "rebuilding" actually means. My only concern is that while an acknowledgement has been made that the team isn't meeting expectations, very few details are given as to how we can rectify things - aside from the central defender and striker remark.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    I think he's bang on about what TFC need RIGHT NOW....a CB and DP Scorer....I'm really disappointed in Stevanovic's "progress"....seeing him playing in Serie A he looked like he could be a force here, but either his confidence is shattered or those highlights I saw were an aberation....but I still have faith in Winter and Mariner...let's give them a chance...Now we just need to crush KC today and get some confidence and momentum....
    Basing any expectations off a highlight reel from a single second half sub appearance is a bit silly. The fact that he had one sub appearance in the Serie A and couldn't get a game in Serie B tells far more that a highlight reel.

And Mariner says nothing about a DP.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Totally agree. I'm amazed at how often season seat holders who pay lots of good money for their tickets say "Ah well, it's a rebuilding year, so I've written it off."

That's ridiculous to me in this league. This is one of the few instances that parity can help a struggling team along: if you make the right moves, you can salvage your season in 10 games or less.
    I don't disagree with you. It's been demonstrated a few times that teams can turn it around in a short period of time.

The question is how much of a turn around is realistic.

My issue is with those that dump on the team after every loss and look for the negative. They claim they want progress which appears to mean "perfection."

Objectively, the team went 0-2-4 in April. They went 1-2-2 in May. Of course, buried in there is that Philly stinker in May but also a road draw against the league champs and a CCL road draw against the team that beat us earlier in the year 4-2.

That is progress. It was done without the benefit of a transfer window from April through end of May and included a major trade and the puzzling JDG still on the roster.

Games in hand aside, TFC are 3 points out of a playoff spot.

Granted it isn't worst to first progress. Aside from the NYRBs whose progress last year set an MLS record, meaning no other team did it before to that extent, progression from worst to first isn't as common as one might think.

Also worth noting is that the NYRBs did nothing in the playoffs meaning that rocketing up the standings themselves shouldn't be our measuring stick. Qualifying for the playoffs, in the MLS, means that every team has a shot. We are 3 points from that goal with 17 games to play.

Set fair expectations and support the team accordingly.
    Last edited by Pookie; 06-04-2011 at 12:00 PM.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree with all of the above

but we have no choice but to be patient they are rebuilding there is a cap and all we can hope for is they care about the team enough and sign a defender and striker soon

if they dont then bmo field will need a new team to pay the rent
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's absolutely rediculous for people to expect this team to be successful in the short amount of time that Winter and de Klerk have been here. Whenever a regime change happens it gets worse before it gets better. I knew this would be a tough year. They need time to bring in their own players and implement their system. And, before someone jumps down my throat, yes I realize this league has parity. However, if they played a 4-4-2 or another common tactical system we could bring in any player they wanted and put him into the lineup and hope it works out. We've been that route. A 4-3-3 needs players that are composed, comfortable on the ball, and can effectively use the options presented to them.

I am sure they have players in mind and I am sure Dan Gargan, Nathan Sturgis, Jacob Petersen, and some of the other garbage on this roster, that was here when they took over, was not what they had in mind. Think about how many central defenders there are in North America or the lower levels of European, S. American, Asian, etc. leagues that are extremely comfortable on the ball and can play it out of the back by taking a touch to get around a striker to get some time. Not too many.

This brings me to where we are headed. We are building these kinds of players in the academy. So, I will judge Winter and de Klerk in 2 or 3 years when our junior academy lads are on the cusp of breaking into the first team.....hopefully they are skinning teams....and hopefully it will be the start of something good.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem here is that if they don't start winning, they run the risk of turning TFC into the Blizzard .... a team no one cared about it regardless of how well they did. You have to factor this into the equation as well.
    ¡Vamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCin110 View Post
    It's absolutely rediculous for people to expect this team to be successful in the short amount of time that Winter and de Klerk have been here. Whenever a regime change happens it gets worse before it gets better.
    It's not when you consider the fact that Backe turned NY around in the same amount of time.

I don't think Winter and de Klerk could have turned this bunch into a high quality team in this time, but I do think that they should be doing a lot better than they are. I'd expect them to be putting out a team at least on par with the previous seasons. Those were all pretty bad teams, so this is not a high bar to expect.

And actually, often there is a period of strong results immediately following a regime change. They can drop off after that though.

I knew this would be a tough year. They need time to bring in their own players and implement their system. And, before someone jumps down my throat, yes I realize this league has parity. However, if they played a 4-4-2 or another common tactical system we could bring in any player they wanted and put him into the lineup and hope it works out. We've been that route. A 4-3-3 needs players that are composed, comfortable on the ball, and can effectively use the options presented to them.
    This is the problem I have with what is going on right now, and so do a lot of other folks.

Adherence to a 4-3-3 without the right players to play it, and even proceeding with 4-3-3 in the first place. Focus shouldn't be on a particular tactical system, it should be on a tactical system that you can implement and get results with. My theory on the whole thing is that MLSE decided they wanted to play attractive attacking football, and they were sold the 4-3-3 bill of goods. Now it's 4-3-3 or bust.

If wewant to go 4-3-3 in the long term, that's fine. However play the more common 4-4-2 until you get the players you need for the 4-3-3.

Some will argue that playing the 4-3-3 now is the right thing to do, as the player need to learn the system. I disagree. Play a system the players know, bring in the players you want as the season progresses, and use the offseason to work on the 4-3-3.

I am sure they have players in mind and I am sure Dan Gargan, Nathan Sturgis, Jacob Petersen, and some of the other garbage on this roster, that was here when they took over, was not what they had in mind. Think about how many central defenders there are in North America or the lower levels of European, S. American, Asian, etc. leagues that are extremely comfortable on the ball and can play it out of the back by taking a touch to get around a striker to get some time. Not too many.
    The above backs up my point. Add Cann to the list - he is solid defensively (for the most part) but he also can't pass the ball out of the back. So we have most of our backline that can't pass the ball, but we are insisting on playing a tactical system based around quality distribution from the back.

This brings me to where we are headed. We are building these kinds of players in the academy. So, I will judge Winter and de Klerk in 2 or 3 years when our junior academy lads are on the cusp of breaking into the first team.....hopefully they are skinning teams....and hopefully it will be the start of something good.
    Faith in the academy is dangerous. Do I expect the academy to turn out first team players? Yes. Do I expect it to turn out enough first team players to populate the entire team? Not even close. No academy is going to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    The problem here is that if they don't start winning, they run the risk of turning TFC into the Blizzard .... a team no one cared about it regardless of how well they did. You have to factor this into the equation as well.
    This worries me. Interest is dropping off. I think the assumption is that people will come back in droves once we start winning. It may be, but I'm not so sure.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been avoiding your whinging in the post-game thread beacuse frankly, everyone else was doing a fine job of stating the obvious of how ridiculously poor our home record is and how pathetic it is to not even score against the worst team in the league. But this really is too much. This just proves that there is always someone out there willing to buy into another multi-year plan simply because the team says "this time" it's going to work with nothing to actually support such a belief. Has anyone succeeded in MLS with a 4-3-3? Has Winter ever coached at the senior level? Does anyone believe that an academy can actually produce MLS quality players in the quantity we need in 2-3 years? Give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It succinctly highlights the risks of what can happen to this team. TFC had the opportunity to own this town, to be the winning team among a bunch of teams that couldn't buy themselves into the post-season. Instead it's knocked itself right back down on the pecking order above the Rock and below the Argos because of inteptitude on the pitch and in management. More and more, people are taking TFC less seriously. CTV's report tonight started with a comment about TFC's continued "futility". Yeah, that's the way to start selling out the stadium again. And nobody wants to speak about the elephant in the room, what if this new direction doesn't work? What if this magical 4-3-3 is not effective in MLS? What if the cap never allows Mariner and Winter to field the quality of team necessary to make it effective? What if we flunk out this year as we appear to be doing and then don't do much better next year? What kind of damage is being done to the TFC brand and the sport in this city?

What if we have to start from scratch again in 3 years?

Are the "positive" people on this board even willing to acknowledge this as being the potential outcome?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's absolutely rediculous for people to expect this team to be successful in the short amount of time that Winter and de Klerk have been here. Whenever a regime change happens it gets worse before it gets better. I knew this would be a tough year. They need time to bring in their own players and implement their system. And, before someone jumps down my throat, yes I realize this league has parity. However, if they played a 4-4-2 or another common tactical system we could bring in any player they wanted and put him into the lineup and hope it works out. We've been that route. A 4-3-3 needs players that are composed, comfortable on the ball, and can effectively use the options presented to them.

well i hope u enjoy watching this shit because the way it's going we are just continue to get even worse in the coming seasons.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have been avoiding your whinging in the post-game thread ...
    Aside from the views in your post, if one of the objectives in our Charter is to:
    " ... encourage membership in the Red Patch Boys and participation in its events..."

... is hammering away at a registered user who feels positive about the team really the way you want to go here?

There are many critical issues that we need to bring forward to the league as they directly impact the health of the league and our beloved franchise. All of which relate to the perceived incompetence of our current Owner-Operator.

Having a strong, united voice is the only way to accomplish that. We can puff our chests all we want but the facts are that collectively, we represent less than 2% of TFC's fan base. We need numbers, unified numbers, in order to be taken seriously.

I'd ask you to think about that, particularly as a long standing member with a solid reputation and moderator of this site.
    Last edited by Pookie; 06-05-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    The system is the foundation, we must stand behind our vision. It is a great system that is attractive. We must let the flower bloom....ive stated before, I will give Winter and Mariner until May 2012 then I will review my position....until then I fully stand behind our vision.
    A little mushy with the flower bloom comment, but very well said!

The club hasn't been run properly, we all know that. There has been a trend of mismangement, we know that too. Those that feel this will never, ever change should really move on with their lives (and many have). No shame there, life's too short. As I say nearly every game to the village heckler-idiot in 110, "why do you pay good money to watch something you hate?"

There's nothing wrong with criticism and debate, however there are many on this board that go to great lengths to stamp out any form of optimism. I say stay the course, it will make the good times that much sweeter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Faith in the academy is dangerous. Do I expect the academy to turn out first team players? Yes. Do I expect it to turn out enough first team players to populate the entire team? Not even close. No academy is going to do that.
    Definately not 2 or 3 years. Probably 7 to 10 years when the system is truly fleshed out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Yes, nobody should ever write off an MLS season this early, especially the people who don't like Winter or his style or who think TFC hasn't progressed enough yet.

I've watched MLS since 2007 and every year you see teams that do things like this:

1) have a very slow start and come on strong (see Dallas and Houston in the past)
    2) sign a DP at mid season and go from crap to decent (Chicago)
    3) sneak into the playoffs at the last second (Colorado, RSL)

Who knows, maybe TFC will end up at the bottom of the table and the critics will be right. But that's an assessment best made at year's end.
    Last edited by rocker; 06-05-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mariner expects it, and that's good enough for me. I think it's absolutely ridicolous that you are waiting to see how Academy kids do before you judge Mariner and Winter. What's even more ridicolous is that you think it takes 2 years to groom an Academy player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... Has anyone succeeded in MLS with a 4-3-3? Has Winter ever coached at the senior level? ...
    We knew the answers to these questions before the season started. You have (rightly) pointed out these two (of many) big challenges to this year... Given the above challenges, we need to let this team management find their way - you gotta allow a fair number of mistakes if Winter et. al are going to turn into seasoned MLS coaching material...

... It succinctly highlights the risks of what can happen to this team... ... More and more, people are taking TFC less seriously. CTV's report tonight started with a comment about TFC's continued "futility"... ... what if this new direction doesn't work? What if this magical 4-3-3 is not effective in MLS?... What if the cap... What if we flunk out... What if we have to start from scratch...

Are the "positive" people on this board even willing to acknowledge this as being the potential outcome?
    I think we all hear you - the spectre of TFC turning into the Toronto Blizzard is a possibility and it would break all of our hearts. But getting all bent out of shape, this early in Winter's first season, and urging quick fixes, and beating up < too much ;-) > on Winter because he is a rookie coach, making rookie mistakes, just doesn't cut it. Whether we play a 4-3-3 or not, is hardly going to address the accumulated damage of four year of Mo + MLSE and last year's Preki disaster, or the Season Ticket renewal debacle that awaits this team this fall.

I hear and feel your utter frustration roogsy - the hard part is figuring out where to channel the angst - it is just too early to turn on Winter et. al.

You really need to change your perspective on the value of the Season Ticket renewal debacle that will come this fall. This will be a good thing - almost everyone on the RPB forum agrees that money is the absolutely only communication that works with Tommy A. and MLSE. Some quick fix turnaround now that gives a bump to attendance or fall season ticket renewal is actually NOT in the long term best interest of this club!

[/quote]
    Last edited by tiberius; 06-05-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ five years in and we have to wait and see if the guys the consultant they hired recommended turn into, "seasoned MLS coaching material"?

Sure, why would we have even thought they might have atually hired seasoned coaching material? It's TFC where you get to learn on the job.