Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hopefully both deals fall through and we sign someone of quality

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    I won't shed tears if we lose Huckerby but the trend is alarming. CMNT, Huckerby, O'Brien (arguably), no one want to play on this shit. FFS, this is a pro club. Cut out the Mickey Mouse bullshit and put in some grass. If Sunday leagues in Febuary are more important than attracting talent to win a championship then this franchise has already lost its way.
    Its quite hard to argue with a statement like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "we don't have connections there" arguement is relatively weak. Steve Nicol didn't have any connections to the Gambian National Team or Costa Rica, but he went out and found serviable players there. Steve Morrow as a guy from Europe didn't have any connections in South America, but he went out there and forged partnershihps.

The world is too big, our scope for a talent search is too small. How many of these guys can we bring over if they all want 200k plus? On top of that, were's the upside? Other than Ricketts we're looking like shady Acres Retirement Home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    I think players love the atmosphere and fanbase here. Put in real grass and I think things would change very quickly.
    QFT!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The "we don't have connections there" arguement is relatively weak. Steve Nicol didn't have any connections to the Gambian National Team or Costa Rica, but he went out and found serviable players there. Steve Morrow as a guy from Europe didn't have any connections in South America, but he went out there and forged partnershihps.

The world is too big, our scope for a talent search is too small. How many of these guys can we bring over if they all want 200k plus? On top of that, were's the upside? Other than Ricketts we're looking like shady Acres Retirement Home.
    Dude we have 3 British players why is everyone obsessed with this topic What about Marshall, Velez and Guevara. We have many players from different places.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Jesus, give it time man, we are in year two and JUST got a scout (or senior scout or whatever his title is) this year. As of right now, judging by ALL the signings we did this season they have been through Mo and Carver, who have connections in the UK. It may be like that til the end of time and it might not be. Its too soon to say. Until then, as long as the guy can put the ball in the back of the net (or help in doing so), who fucking cares where they are from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    If Sunday leagues in Febuary are more important than attracting talent to win a championship then this franchise has already lost its way.
    yup thats MLSE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh its still not all MLSEs fault, remember the city of toronto co owns this SSS as well and is the main reason as to why we dont have grass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I blame the City, but as the sole tenant of BMO field TFC has the clout and funding to usher in the change. They both need to make it happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointed. Another Canadian youth gone.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Disappointed. Another Canadian youth gone.
    in this case, it was inevitable...but I imagine there's lots of Canadian youths in the academy..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope he ends up going somewhere good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    in this case, it was inevitable...but I imagine there's lots of Canadian youths in the academy..
    It was inevitable that Lombardo would be cut/leave. The one thing that really ticks me off is that Mo doesn't replace developmental positions when people leave. We have roster spots open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the reason so many people (like me) are so impatient is because we've learned from the leafs. MLSE has the funds and resources to sign anybody they want. problem is they don’t really want to, why would they spend big bucks on a star player when the stadium is already sold out every game. its not like we have a rich sports loving owner who wants a winning team. Our owners care about one thing and one thing only: MONEY! They don’t need to win to fill the stadium. MLSE is happy with a shitty team as long as the stadium is full, just look at the leafs. Infact, I bet they prefer a shitty team because they won’t have to spend as much on salaries. Dont you guys think we would have a DP already if MLSE really wanted one and was committed to winning. Columbus has a DP for fucks sake! The reason we dont have a DP yet is because they are holding out for a name at a discount price, and that’s not going to make the team better. Welcome to the living nightmare known as MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    I guess so, but it is too bad that he couldn't find some time on this team. TFC has one good forward (Dichio), a useless tit who occasionally acts as a striker (Cunningham), a striker who plays better wide right in the midfield (Smith), and one who doesn't even have his licence yet (Ibrahim). If this is true, Lombardo is getting a very raw deal here. It would've been good to see him get more than a half hour with the main team this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, lombardo doesn't exactly have much value. if there's youngsters on his tail (Ibrahim), and guys slightly older who are better (Smith), then he's in limbo.
    People will say "why not replace Cunny with Lombardo and see what he can do." But I'd rather have somebody better than both Cunny and Lombardo.

but I want to hear from Lombardo's mouth, if he's gone. If he said "I wanted to go to Europe and Mo released me" then it's a bit of a different story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kickit09 View Post
    i think the reason so many people (like me) are so impatient is because we've learned from the leafs. MLSE has the funds and resources to sign anybody they want. problem is they don’t really want to, why would they spend big bucks on a star player when the stadium is already sold out every game. its not like we have a rich sports loving owner who wants a winning team. Our owners care about one thing and one thing only: MONEY! They don’t need to win to fill the stadium. MLSE is happy with a shitty team as long as the stadium is full, just look at the leafs. Infact, I bet they prefer a shitty team because they won’t have to spend as much on salaries. Dont you guys think we would have a DP already if MLSE really wanted one and was committed to winning. Columbus has a DP for fucks sake! The reason we dont have a DP yet is because they are holding out for a name at a discount price, and that’s not going to make the team better. Welcome to the living nightmare known as MLSE.
    But realistically, TFC is an entirely different situation from the Leafs and Raptors. MLSE has to worry about breaking the bank for one player with TFC. They have been throwing money away on pieces of crap for years and both the Leafs and Raptors have always had a full house. MLSE does spend money...they just spend it stupidly. Even David Beckham is making less than 10 million a season in salary money...I don't think MLSE would have a problem adding a single 3-5 million dollar employee to their payroll. Mo just has to find the talent...if he is going to go BIG with the DP, I don't think Dickov or Huckerby would fit that bill.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to make anyone mad but lets face reality. Lombardo is useless in the position he has been playing. I'm not bashing Canadians Im bashing Lombardo. It could be a good move if it is indeed true. I think he seriously needs to re-consider what position he plays. I think he would be way more effective in a midfield role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    well, lombardo doesn't exactly have much value. if there's youngsters on his tail (Ibrahim), and guys slightly older who are better (Smith), then he's in limbo.
    People will say "why not replace Cunny with Lombardo and see what he can do." But I'd rather have somebody better than both Cunny and Lombardo.

but I want to hear from Lombardo's mouth, if he's gone. If he said "I wanted to go to Europe and Mo released me" then it's a bit of a different story.
    Ibraim is probably 3+ years from getting any significant playing time with TFC, and I don't think Smith will ever be solely a striker...I wouldn't be surprised if he gets converted to the wide right mid position that he's played very well in this year. I too would rather have a player better than both to start, but i think Lombardo could've served a great role on this team as a sub or as a second striker and a Canadian spot on the roster over the next 2-3 years as Ibrahim matures.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

HA HA HA

that has to be the best comment i have ever read here on RPB. There is zero chance this guy plays anywhere else exept Eglinton Flats.

He has showed zero promise.

sad but true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco2K View Post
    HA HA HA

that has to be the best comment i have ever read here on RPB. There is zero chance this guy plays anywhere else exept Eglinton Flats.

sad but true
    ^ More than a little harsh. If professional sports has taught us one thing it’s that a change of scenery can do wonders for a player. Maybe Lombardo will catch on somewhere in the USL?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the USL might be a good place for Lombardo. He is with a professional club because obviously there is something there. But he needs to find someone who will bring it out. But he needs to get something going or his career will end very quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA HA HA

There is zero chance this guy plays anywhere else exept Eglinton Flats.

People probably said the same thing when DeRo couldn't get a game in 4th division Germany at a similar age.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA HA HA

sad but true
    I dislike lombardo but not as much as you do
    There are many leagues in europe and he could catch on anywhere... second division scotland maybe?

the point, however, is that we need to wait and see what happened until we crucify Mo johnston for "releasing another Canadian". Personally I don't consider Lombardo a prospect anymore.

He could catch on in second divisions in Europe or the USL, but his MLS career is on hold. He's 21 years old and has scored something like 3 goals in 60 games in his career and with Canada. For a striker he has never shown promise at any level. At least Canadian prospects like Simeon Jackson have scored somewhere (although at lower levels). I believe Lombardo needs to start thinking about maybe becoming a midfielder, since his passing is decent and he works hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel sorry for all those people I've seen at BMO wearing a Lombardo Jersey.. haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    It was inevitable that Lombardo would be cut/leave. The one thing that really ticks me off is that Mo doesn't replace developmental positions when people leave. We have roster spots open.
    you can thank the csa for that. Players will go to 'lesser' teams and noone will replace them because we have no system here.
    Its started, however, thank TFC, the Whitecaps and the Impact. FUCK THE CSA.
    Regardless, give it time (alot of time), it will happen. Until then, this is what we will see (our players going to lesser teams, it happens everywhere else, its just waaaay more evident here).

The leafs are another entity unto itself. Even then they have been tossed from one company to another. The thing thats stopping MLSE from putting a championship team together is two things 1) restrictions placed by the league (whether its salary cap or otherwise) 2) The fact we are a second year team (we are still wading through the water, no shame in that, its a fact). Id put money on the fact that we are doing better then most franchise teams in their second year,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    The leafs are another entity unto itself. Even then they have been tossed from one company to another. The thing thats stopping MLSE from putting a championship team together is two things 1) restrictions placed by the league (whether its salary cap or otherwise) 2) The fact we are a second year team (we are still wading through the water, no shame in that, its a fact). Id put money on the fact that we are doing better then most franchise teams in their second year,

leafs and TFC have the exact same owners and the exact same mentality (PROFIT ABOVE ALL)... and the salary cap has only been around for a couple years in the NHL (leafs had 30+ years without a salary cap since the last cup). and in MLS you get around the salary cap with DPs (LA has 3 for christ’s sake, and 1 of those makes 3 times the salary cap). MLSE has no excuses for the leafs or TFC.......while your right about the fact we are doing better than most 2nd year franchises, im afraid this is as good as its gonna get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

leafs and TFC have the exact same owners and the exact same mentality (PROFIT ABOVE ALL)... and the salary cap has only been around for a couple years in the NHL (leafs had 30+ years without a salary cap since the last cup). and in MLS you get around the salary cap with DPs (LA has 3 for christ’s sake, and 1 of those makes 3 times the salary cap). MLSE has no excuses for the leafs or TFC.......while your right about the fact we are doing better than most 2nd year franchises, im afraid this is as good as its gonna get.
    Pretty cynical viewpoint there

Whereas I agree with you that profit is the driving factor behind MLSE, I would also ask... what business out there isn't? After all MLSE is not a charity. And they have spent big big dollars on crappy players over that 40 year period so what is say they don't spend the money on good ones.

No, I think the problem with the Leafs isn't the mentality that you describe, I think the answer is plain and simple: incompetent management.

I also believe that it is way to early to judge TFC in the same vein but only time will tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like i said in another thread, yes i am pessimistic. but thats because of what MLSE has shown us in the past....and your right MLSE beeing a business and not a charity, but theres lots of sports teams out there who's owners actualy care about winning and will do what ever they need to do to build a championship team (unlike MLSE).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I think you're right.

The Leafs have responded to their fans really well - that may be their biggest problem. Leaf fans love second and third line grinders - good players, sure, but this city treats them like superstars. I remember when there was a huge push for Doug Gilmour as MVP - hard-working player, no doubt, but I bet no one in Toronto remembers who actually won the MVP that year. And Leaf fans have consistently run good players out of town.

TFC fans are not Leafs fans and won't be treated like Leafs fans.