Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"However, soccer at the highest level – like all professional sports – is a demanding, results-driven business and unfortunately we have not met our high expectations so far this season. We’ve also struggled at times to provide you, our supporters, with the style of soccer we strive for.

With all these factors in mind, we felt a change to our coaching staff was necessary before the challenge of meeting this season's objectives became too difficult."

ALLL THESE FACTORS...they listed 2?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    They're adding more marbles to the field turf at Empire Field...

Currently, there is obviously not nearly enough on that pitch! lol
    LAUL Nearly wet myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

na na na na na na na na
    hey hey hey
    goodbye!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

errr...'tis pity

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if TFC fans should be celebrating this. A change in coach could be the kick in the ass the Whitecaps need.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    i'll agree that it may have made him last a little longer (winning the first NC for the club) but the problems apparently ran much deeper than that.
    That's all I'm saying - if Vancouver had won the NCC on Wednesday, it would have meant a stay of execution. I couldn't see them making this decision at this moment had they won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I don't know if TFC fans should be celebrating this. A change in coach could be the kick in the ass the Whitecaps need.
    Agreed, although as Whoop stated, Tom Soehn didn't exactly have an inspiring record as the coach of DC United.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we hire Teitur for one game? Actually, two games...the one on the 29th and the NutraCup Final 2nd leg.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver should be still in building mode, they should have let TT finish out the season before they moved on. Bringing in someone new at this point is not going to change things.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Maybe Teitur Tots is stepping down - he's gone crazy because the CSA will never allow the Whitecaps to win the NCC. It's a conspiracy!

Posted an hour and a half before the announcement and TFCleeds almost gets it spot on!

Teitur Tots is going to have nightmares about the NCC. Does he get fired if the game had ended with a WCFC win on Wednesday night?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I didn't say they were a good team and doubling their points would still leave them 7th in the west with a losing record....

I just happen to think they play harder than a 1 win in 12 GP team typically does, I'd even go as far to argue that they play harder then us from a consistency perspective.
    I will say this, Vancouver has definitely played with more purpose this year than TFC. Whether that is on the coaches is open for debate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    errr...'tis pity
    You know, if TFC ever gets good enough where we can make fun of other teams again, this would be a great banner against the opponent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    "However, soccer at the highest level – like all professional sports – is a demanding, results-driven business and unfortunately we have not met our high expectations so far this season. We’ve also struggled at times to provide you, our supporters, with the style of soccer we strive for.

With all these factors in mind, we felt a change to our coaching staff was necessary before the challenge of meeting this season's objectives became too difficult."

ALLL THESE FACTORS...they listed 2?

haha, that's the first thing I noticed when I read it too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, so long Tator Tots.. you've done worse than TFC did after this number of games in 2007... and Mo Johnston was the coach... LOL.

I always got a sense that Vancouver management was tepid about him, particularly with that 1-year contract stuff.

It doesn't help that Portland has done much better under the exact same circumstances. This is the problem with hiring people who have never coached in MLS. But I still think any coach deserves one year to prove himself, no matter what his experience. This is too soon in my opinion.

I'm not sure Soehn is much better tho. He took what was a solid DC United team that played a pretty style and turned it into shit. He brought in the current players too. And Denis Hamlett didn't do much in Chicago either...
    Last edited by rocker; 05-30-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting article on the firing

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ing-thordarson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teitur Thordarson always played a 4-4-2 and made questionable tactical decisions. Gets canned.

Aron Winter always plays 4-3-3 and makes questionable tactical decisions. Better get his house in order soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and just two days ago the Southsiders got a teiter flag order going...

http://forum.vancouversouthsiders.ca...flags-are-here

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they are idiots..LOL...

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firing trending on twitter for the country.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no offense but if MOJO was canned 3 months into our first season we'd all have screamed bloody murder (sure in hindsight we wouldn't) but at that time we would. People forget consistency and time in this sport to much

Seriously why does everyone wants to be instantly fucking satisfied all the time. Only want wins..fire anyone thats not winning. If winning..not winning by enough goals..need more goals. Fire someone.. this statement applies more to TFC fans then shitcaps fans.

I am an Online Pole

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phonzo View Post
    no offense but if MOJO was canned 3 months into our first season we'd all have screamed bloody murder (sure in hindsight we wouldn't) but at that time we would. People forget consistency and time in this sport to much

Seriously why does everyone wants to be instantly fucking satisfied all the time. Only want wins..fire anyone thats not winning. If winning..not winning by enough goals..need more goals. Fire someone.. this statement applies more to TFC fans then shitcaps fans.
    I'm not sure, if that was when he was already making excuses like blaming Canadian players on why we sucked I might have been happy if he was already fired. But my memory is muddy so I can't remember when that started.

Of course the difference between Season 1 TFC and Season 1 Whitecaps is that they actually have a bit of a support staff. So when you fire your head coach you have someone in the organization available. Was it even possible to fire Mo 3 months into the season of 2007? Who would have taken over?
    Last edited by menefreghista; 05-30-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, if this EVER happens, give me a call, I will be on your side. However, I will go out on a limb and say we are safe for now. Very safe. About as safe as you can get.

As for your statement about firing anyone that's not winning...you do realize this is competitive professional sports right? If you're looking for fun times and not keeping score, I am sure there are other options.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    and just two days ago the Southsiders got a teiter flag order going...

http://forum.vancouversouthsiders.ca...flags-are-here
    His players really fought for him and it would be a nice gesture from the fans to go ahead with the flag.. but, knowing their FO staff, they would probably ban them from waving it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Seriously, if this EVER happens, give me a call, I will be on your side. However, I will go out on a limb and say we are safe for now. Very safe. About as safe as you can get.

As for your statement about firing anyone that's not winning...you do realize this is competitive professional sports right? If you're looking for fun times and not keeping score, I am sure there are other options.

really roogsy? really? you were one of the loudest of those unhappy with preki, and i'm not talking about when we started losing after our only good forwards got injured. right in the middle of the hot streak we had under him you were bitching about preki.

and now you're setting yourself up as the great defender of results over style? Interesting. bold even.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest problem with Preki was my knowledge that the players were chaffing under him and it was only a matter of time before he lost the lockerroom. I had no problems with his initial results, I simply knew that it would not last.

And I do admit I did not like his style not because I wanted an attractive style but because I knew it was one-dimensional. I wasn't demanding "an attractive" style of footbal, I just wanted more intelligent football. I want a coach that adjusts. A coach that motivates. Neither Preki nor Winter fit these image of a coach for me. So despite their different styles, I see far too many similarities between them that worry me.

For me, it's not about results at the start, or results over a short period of time. For me, it's a matter of looking at a situation and projecting whether it can produce sustained results over the long term. I knew Preki couldn't do it, and I fear the same for Winter.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post

Of course the difference between Season 1 TFC and Season 1 Whitecaps is that they actually have a bit of a support staff. So when you fire your head coach you have someone in the organization available. Was it even possible to fire Mo 3 months into the season of 2007? Who would have taken over?
    This.

Bang on.

I mean it's like it took TFC 4 years to realize that you can't run a sports franchise with a skeleton staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem for Vancouver is Hamlett and Soehn haven't proven anything before as head coaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest problem with Preki was my knowledge that the players were chaffing under him and it was only a matter of time before he lost the lockerroom. I had no problems with his initial results, I simply knew that it would not last.

And I do admit I did not like his style not because I wanted an attractive style but because I knew it was one-dimensional. I wasn't demanding "an attractive" style of footbal, I just wanted more intelligent football. I want a coach that adjusts. A coach that motivates. Neither Preki nor Winter fit these image of a coach for me. So despite their different styles, I see far too many similarities between them that worry me.

For me, it's not about results at the start, or results over a short period of time. For me, it's a matter of looking at a situation and projecting whether it can produce sustained results over the long term. I knew Preki couldn't do it, and I fear the same for Winter.
    If you're projecting results why did you dismiss my response to your "who scores the goals" question as invalid because it was a projection towards the end of the year? Are projections now okay?

A lot of hypocrisy and a lot of negativity. I'm sure someone can link the Whitecaps board for you if you'd like to post something positive for once.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have elaborated but assumed folks would understand I mean with reference to firing someone after 3 months...that's a little absurd. Firing Winter now would also be absurd regardless of ones rage for well one massive bed shitting.

I am an Online Pole

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should have elaborated but assumed folks would understand I mean with reference to firing someone after 3 months...that's a little absurd. Firing Winter now would also be absurd regardless of ones rage for well one massive bed shitting.
    Can't agree with you more. Anyone wo says differently .... I dunno