Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    I'm not a very principled person, as a rule. I'm usually one of the loudest to complain, but don't often take the stand needed for change.

I've ridden the roller coaster with everyone else in TFC land over the past 5 years.
    I joined in with everyone who wondered about renewing over the past couple years. But I always knew that I'd renew. I hoped others would stand up, and make a point, and not renew, but I could just wait in the background, quietly renewing, hoping to reap the benefits that the protest brought.

I've got thousands of dollars in merch. Not even worth counting really. Probably close to $10,000. I've bought every ticket to every game. Every friendly. Every NCC and CCL. Even if I could go. I'd give them to friends. I've never ever gone to a game and spent less than $50. Ever.

I always figured I'd give these tickets to my kids. I always talked with my Day 1 friends about the "best $200 gamble we ever took!"

I never, ever considered not renewing. Until today. After 5 years, and all of this support and loyalty that I've shown, I don't feel any of it has been rewarded or validated in any way.

I don't need to be convinced why I'm wrong, or why I was never a fan in the first place. I never thought I'd ever be here. But I am. And as I customer, I always have a choice to buy whichever mousetrap I want. This is a horrible mousetrap. And always has been. And the company is misguided and lost, with shows no signs of recovery, or respecting the annuity with which I provide them so politely.

This isn't a case of whether I'm a real fan or not. But I had always planned on spending $3,000 to $4,000 a year (plus increases) for the next 40 years, and now, that doesn't really seem like a good idea.

Losing people like me should scare the shit out of TFC.

This was the golden goose, and the F.O. squandered it. And now, after 5 misguided years, TFC are *THIS* close to becoming the Argos. And not many people in Toronto are going to care if they succeed or not. People in your office aren't going to be talking about the backline, or the midfield. They are so close to not mattering to a lot of people. And it's too bad. Because it didn't have to be like this.
    Welcome to the club. While I'm optimistic about TFC's future with Winter at the helm for now, I've also made the conscious choice not to spend any more money on tickets or concessions for now.

It's going to take more than a hopeful change of direction to earn my money again.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly Scott, I really want to be in your boat. I want to feel good about this team again. I really want to know: What exactly makes you "optimistic" about this team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borga:

It's not about abandoning the team- we all love the team. What you're seeing is 5 years of frustration summed up by a humiliating defeat on our home pitch by a second year squad.

Everyone will be there if/when this club turns it around, but you can't be a supporter of this team and take a 6-2 home loss in stride. You just can't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    Perfect post by #117. At least I've been clever enough to figure this out after the second season. Better late than never in your case 117.
    You don't think perhaps the second season was a bit early to jump ship?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    To all those freaking out and abandoning the team, I have to ask, what did you expect? Yes, today was a disgrace. But if you thought this season was going to be a cakewalk then you were sniffing glue. A good team isn't built in a few months. We should be happy if we're seeing some consistent signs of progress by mid-season. Playoffs? Very unlikely, and they always have been.

Give your head a shake, people. Take a nap. Calm down. It's going to be okay.
    Again with this "good teams aren't built in a few months" argument. Um yeah they are. And if any fanbase deserved an all-out effort to build a good team quickly as opposed to slowly, it was Toronto FC fans. If a capable team cannot be built in a few months, how much time is actually needed so that we can finally put some expectations on the table?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a very principled person, as a rule. I'm usually one of the loudest to complain, but don't often take the stand needed for change.

I've ridden the roller coaster with everyone else in TFC land over the past 5 years.
    I joined in with everyone who wondered about renewing over the past couple years. But I always knew that I'd renew. I hoped others would stand up, and make a point, and not renew, but I could just wait in the background, quietly renewing, hoping to reap the benefits that the protest brought.

I've got thousands of dollars in merch. Not even worth counting really. Probably close to $10,000. I've bought every ticket to every game. Every friendly. Every NCC and CCL. Even if I could go. I'd give them to friends. I've never ever gone to a game and spent less than $50. Ever.

I always figured I'd give these tickets to my kids. I always talked with my Day 1 friends about the "best $200 gamble we ever took!"

I never, ever considered not renewing. Until today. After 5 years, and all of this support and loyalty that I've shown, I don't feel any of it has been rewarded or validated in any way.

I don't need to be convinced why I'm wrong, or why I was never a fan in the first place. I never thought I'd ever be here. But I am. And as I customer, I always have a choice to buy whichever mousetrap I want. This is a horrible mousetrap. And always has been. And the company is misguided and lost, with shows no signs of recovery, or respecting the annuity with which I provide them so politely.

This isn't a case of whether I'm a real fan or not. But I had always planned on spending $3,000 to $4,000 a year (plus increases) for the next 40 years, and now, that doesn't really seem like a good idea.

This was the golden goose, and the F.O. squandered it. And now, after 5 misguided years, TFC are *THIS* close to becoming the Argos. And not many people in Toronto are going to care if they succeed or not. People in your office aren't going to be talking about the backline, or the midfield. They are so close to not mattering to a lot of people. And it's too bad. Because it didn't have to be like this.
    nothing could be as miserable as an argos game. even if we lose this bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent post. I can certainly empathize based on all of your concerns. I share your pain and frustration along with everyone else.

I will continue to support the club regardless of the results this season because I'm in this for the long haul. I have drastically cut back spending on merchandise compared to the first few seasons, but I will renew my seasons tickets because having a professional football club to support in Toronto was a dream come true. Unfortunately, MLSE has tested my patience with the issues off the pitch, but I'm willing to give the new management regime time to do things right on the pitch.

I sincerely hope that Winter and Mariner will be able to improve the club this season sufficiently enough to convince you and other likeminded supporters not to throw in the towel yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bars92 View Post
    nothing could be as miserable as an argos game. even if we lose this bad
    Haha. I hope not!

I should also point out that I've paid to attend over 500 Blue Jays games in the past 18 miserable years, and still go to 15-20 a year.

I don't demand instant success, nor annual championship parades. I just need to feel that me and my wallet are not being made a fool of.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I have drastically cut back spending on merchandise compared to the first few seasons, but I will renew my seasons tickets because having a professional football club to support in Toronto was a dream come true.
    It is this dream that still keeps me around and forces me to keep the remaining tickets I have not given up. Everything else has been ruined for me and I am in the same boat as you are and have taken my spending down to almost zero on everything except the actual tickets, even though I would like to buy the new jerseys and kit my newborn son in everything TFC, I refuse to do so. Because I refuse to contribute to the MLSE belief that fans will continue buying and spending regardless of the product they put in front of us, regardless of the sport. But the last thing I will ever be able to do is give up my remaining tickets. There is a small, faint glimmer of hope that one day the soccer gods will bless us finally and get rid of the failing element within TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day i'm still born and raised in Toronto. What else can I do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

POST OF THE YEAR!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Honestly Scott, I really want to be in your boat. I want to feel good about this team again. I really want to know: What exactly makes you "optimistic" about this team?
    It's no one thing - occasionally the team has runs of play where you can see signs of what Winter has been preaching seeping in. You can see the talent of guys he has brought on board like Plata and Ecks.

It's nothing more than optimism right now, because I think it's going to take time to truly assess whether Winter's vision is taking hold, or looking like the right path for this team.

My position from day one has been that all I want to see from Winter this year, is clear evidence of progression in the way we play, and the new players we are bringing onboard. The results for me this season, are secondary.

I try to keep that outlook immune from the emotional responses I may have after games like today, and keep an even keel. We played a solid game in Colorado the other day, and we played an abysmal game today at home. I wasn't effusive with my praise then, and I'm not raging now. This season for me is less about results, and more about the process.

That said, I understand that not everyone sees it this way. Negativity towards this team is warranted. It's all reading tea leaves right now, so there are multiple ways of looking at the state of the club.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the support are looking for the improvement we were promised 13 games in can anyone say we have improvement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never been to a game in toronto but have travelled to boston to see the team play as I am from the maritimes.I got home at half time to turn on the tv to a 3-0 score .I thought there might be hope as the team scored 2 quick goals.Only to see our porous defence give up 2 more goals.I hope the front office has a plan for the summer transfer when it opens up as I believe the fan support is going to leave .As I watch the games on TV it is very evident that the crowds are getting smaller.I keep thinking of planning a trip to BMO field to see a game and then we get another performance like this.We have players that need to be dropped or put on the bench.Our core is not that deep and Winter has a big job to do to turn this team around.I am glad that they play New England mid week this year as I won`t be making the trip.Just when you think they might start putting something together it falls apart.Some decisions have to be made by this coaching staff and front office .We got hammered by Vancouver in the first game and today by a second year team.It scares me to think what Portland is going to on their home field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with all the negativity? You guys are acting like a 2nd year club just humilated us at home. Or like traded our best player in franchise history to NY for a bag of peanuts. Or like we released our top prospect to make some kind of asinine point. C'mon guys, its not as if losses are increasing while talent is decreasing. We're on the right track now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cochrdoc View Post
    I have never been to a game in toronto but have travelled to boston to see the team play as I am from the maritimes.I got home at half time to turn on the tv to a 3-0 score .I thought there might be hope as the team scored 2 quick goals.Only to see our porous defence give up 2 more goals.I hope the front office has a plan for the summer transfer when it opens up as I believe the fan support is going to leave .As I watch the games on TV it is very evident that the crowds are getting smaller.I keep thinking of planning a trip to BMO field to see a game and then we get another performance like this.We have players that need to be dropped or put on the bench.Our core is not that deep and Winter has a big job to do to turn this team around.I am glad that they play New England mid week this year as I won`t be making the trip.Just when you think they might start putting something together it falls apart.Some decisions have to be made by this coaching staff and front office .We got hammered by Vancouver in the first game and today by a second year team.It scares me to think what Portland is going to on their home field
    At this point, I don't think it's if, but when. There will be new players this summer, I will guarantee a mortgage payment on that. The question really is, will they be the right ones? Or will we be seeing more "Mista" signings? Mariner promised us the goals would come from "elsewhere". What is obvious is that not only are the goals not coming from elsewhere, we are expending so much energy in trying to score with what little we have, we are now exposing our backline as well. If anyone thinks that a 6-2 scoreline falls entirely on the shoulders of two of the least paid players, (Harden and Gargan) you have got to be kidding yourselves.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 05-28-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    What's with all the negativity? You guys are acting like a 2nd year club just humilated us at home. Or like traded our best player in franchise history to NY for a bag of peanuts. Or like we released our top prospect to make some kind of asinine point. C'mon guys, its not as if losses are increasing while talent is decreasing. We're on the right track now.

Roogsy? Is that you? Give CB back his computer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck me......I need another drink, better make it a double
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    At the end of the day i'm still born and raised in Toronto. What else can I do?

You'll need to cut holes for yours eyes and mouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    TFC are shite enough
    let's please keep the Manure talk out of here
    Good idea, I hate them. I was just responding to 2 deluded souls who think the current Manure team is great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    To all those freaking out and abandoning the team, I have to ask, what did you expect? Yes, today was a disgrace. But if you thought this season was going to be a cakewalk then you were sniffing glue. A good team isn't built in a few months. We should be happy if we're seeing some consistent signs of progress by mid-season. Playoffs? Very unlikely, and they always have been.

Give your head a shake, people. Take a nap. Calm down. It's going to be okay.
    A good team hasn't been built here in 5 years FFS and it's NOT okay.

Mikey

LOL... fortress BMO... sorry all I have left is to laugh....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New York were horrible a couple seasons back, woeful team with nothing good happening, much like TFC are today, then became a contender in one season. This is MLS where a shit team and a good team are one or two players apart. TFC needs to get rid of JDG. The club plays much better without him, the midfield plays more aggressive, more offense minded. With him on the pitch the whole team appears disorganized with poor formation and tactics, and are very easy to beat. Replace him with a decent goal scoring threat and the club will turn around in a hurry. You don't need a dozen great players, just a few, again, remember, this is MLS. Having said this, I left the game at the half it was unwatchable and I did not want to miss watching Messi prove he is the best player of all time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    New York were horrible a couple seasons back, woeful team with nothing good happening, much like TFC are today, then became a contender in one season. This is MLS where a shit team and a good team are one or two players apart. TFC needs to get rid of JDG. The club plays much better without him, the midfield plays more aggressive, more offense minded. With him on the pitch the whole team appears disorganized with poor formation and tactics, and are very easy to beat. Replace him with a decent goal scoring threat and the club will turn around in a hurry. You don't need a dozen great players, just a few, again, remember, this is MLS. Having said this, I left the game at the half it was unwatchable and I did not want to miss watching Messi prove he is the best player of all time.
    Don't tell people around here about New York being a good example. They won't believe it. Hans Backe had almost exactly the same amount of time as Winter has had (in fact 1 day less) and he had his team ready for the first game of the season and they went on a tear immediately at the start of the season and completely turned around their previous woeful season IN WEEKS, not months, not years. For some reason, Toronto fans don't believe this is doable even though others have done it. Instead, around here the growing belief is we need another multi-year plan, that puts a lot of hope on the Academy oh and by the way, we've decided not to keep our best Academy player.

We are now 4 and a half months in, 16 games into the season, plus whatever games were played in pre-season and our backline looks like that? And we have a -10 goal differential? (Which by the way we were already worst in the league but now we have stretched that to an unreachable level.) I am thoroughly confused as to what people are seeing that continues to give them hope. I need to hear it because I honestly want to have that hope as well. I need something to believe in about this team so that I don't completely give up on them.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 05-28-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things not looking too rosey eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright I'll chime in.
    I used to be passionate about TFC and would always go out of my way to make sure I watched the matches. On the off chance I did miss one, I'd feel bad. But this year, I honestly, don't feel so bad. It's like I've come to accept TFC is just bad and that little to no progress has been made.
    FTR, I don't have seasons and refuse to pay for the ransom packs. Plus w/ my messed up work schedule, I can't even go to games.

I won't be spending another nickel on anything TFC related until I see progress, be it in the Champions League or MLS league itself.
    But I won't stop being a fan though.
    Flame suit on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm too depressed to come up with any ideas right now....

Toronto till i die

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    lol, Winter is going to offer his resignation that's nonsense, he's not had enough time to SHAPE the team....lol, bloody Toronto/Golden HorseShoe mentality that things can be done SUPER fast.

If everyone calms the hell down, takes a breath and lets the man make some transfers in 2 days, maybe we'll see an improved squad.

so much for a 'supporters' forum.

p.s YES i did find the performance abysmal, the players have to take responsibility for their terrible play, it can't just winter as the fall out guy all the time.
    yup...
    tommorrows another day......and supporting should be a long and prosperous journey, if people can't handle the lows then they definitely have zero right to the highs. Simply stop going or buying tickets, or is it just the constant complaining everyone is addicted to?..bad game yup but like the fans who were constantly foul mouthed at their heros?...today ....why go then?,..simply enjoy your Man u's Liverpools or whatever......and look for your perfect little soccer bliss,....cause real life is found in the journey
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mikey

LOL... fan boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the negativity is a consequence of an appalling 6-2 defeat at home. We are a fifth year club who were embarrassed by a second year team. Plus, we paid over the odds to watch this happen.

You can sing all you want, you can say we're a club in change, but at the end of the day you're as good as your last game. Am I real supporter? Who gives a shit, I've poured a lot of hard earned money in to a team that couldn't give a flying fuck. You can say 'if you don't like it don't come' but too many people won't turn up and the club won't be profitable, thus cease to exist.

I'm an ex-Arsenal season ticket holder, who spent many a year on the road with them so the likes of me don't need lecturing in being a real fan. Trust me.

Just because I don't jump around and spend most of the game with my back to the pitch doesn't mean I care any less. I'm just watching the highlights again on Gol Tv and I genuinely believe there are certain players who don't even deserve the title of 'Professional Football Player'.

Show me evidence of the right 'track' and I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel. Don't mean to pick on you in particular dude but its this blind faith that's led to us being held over a barrel
    Last edited by TorontoGooner; 05-28-2011 at 10:10 PM.