Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    B.S. No coach turns his team over 100%. And Winter only has remnants of last year. Most starters are now Winter selections. Not Preki. Not Mo. If this is not Winter's team whose is it? FYI all the coaches you mentioned did not turn their teams over fully and in fact many had some measure of success with inherited teams with minimal changes.
    From last year to this year we have 15 new players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B.S. No coach turns his team over 100%. And Winter only has remnants of last year. Most starters are now Winter selections. Not Preki. Not Mo. If this is not Winter's team whose is it? FYI all the coaches you mentioned did not turn their teams over fully and in fact many had some measure of success with inherited teams with minimal changes.
    People seem to conveniently forget this point. Winter has brought in a good number of players and most of them are underwhelming to say the least.
    Last edited by brad; 05-28-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm right here baby! Except TFC can't afford me.
    What if we offered your son a contract too? He HAS to be better than Harden, and when he learns to walk he'll be that much better!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alex andrew View Post
    been there, read all this,

but you know what ? i'd rather be a tfc fan right now than a manchester united fan.

for me it's difficult to say who sucked better at their respective level, of course.

i'm afraid man u did worse !

i'd cut some slack to both organizations, these things happen very rarely.
    This is ridiculous equivalence to the extreme. At the end of the day, Man Utd fans can take solace in being EPL Champions, and making it to the Champions League Final.

Toronto just surrendered six goals to a second year MLS side.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This is ridiculous equivalence to the extreme. At the end of the day, Man Utd fans can take solace in being EPL Champions, and making it to the Champions League Final.

Toronto just surrendered six goals to a second year MLS side.

- Scott
    yes, it is a little bit poetically enhanced extreme equivalence, not exactly ridiculous.

and no, man utd fans can't take any solace in anything.

today is today is today, tomorrow is another day, but i'm talking today !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alex andrew View Post
    yes, it is a little bit poetically enhanced extreme equivalence, not exactly ridiculous.

and no, man utd fans can't take any solace in anything.

today is today is today, tomorrow is another day, but i'm talking today !
    And today Manchester United are the Champions of England and TFC are shite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    People seem to conveniently forget this point. Winter has brought in a good number of players and most of them are underwhelming to say the least.
    Do people around think that a manager can come in and change most of the roster over a period of a few months and expect the roster to be that managers ideal line-up?!? In the fucking MLS of all leagues?!?

It doesn't matter how many people Winter and co have brought in. They purged the team from last year and are starting over. They needed to bring in bodies. Finding quality bodies with the roster restrictions and salary cap is not easy and will take time. Winter never said he would turn things around this year......I don't know why people expect that.

The management will continue to bring in players and will hopefully be able to retain the good ones on decent wages. So far, Plata has been a great find and Martina and Eckersley look useful. Anyone who has great expectations for this season is delusional. I wrote this season off a long time ago. It's a rebuilding season. Let's see what Winter does in the transfer window.

Everyone who bitches about why he goes with the same players all the time might not know the reason. Perhaps he's trying to evaluate them to see if he really wants to keep them or not.

Is this team shit? Yes, if fucking shit. However, why anyone expected differently is beyond me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tfc are shite now, but one hundred years and 6 billion dollars later they'll be ok, as in losing only 3-1 at home.

hey, football is beautiful !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck off with the man united talk in this thread it's turning it into aids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was just trying to be positive, to highlight that today's game was an accident.

sorry, never intended to upset anybody.

go tfc !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm taking the month of June off from tfc. I'm going support Canada at the Gold Cup and reevaluate if I have it in me to support tfc for the balance of the season. Season V is an epic fail. Season I line up could kick the shit out of these useless twats

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Do people around think that a manager can come in and change most of the roster over a period of a few months and expect the roster to be that managers ideal line-up?!? In the fucking MLS of all leagues?!?

It doesn't matter how many people Winter and co have brought in. They purged the team from last year and are starting over. They needed to bring in bodies. Finding quality bodies with the roster restrictions and salary cap is not easy and will take time. Winter never said he would turn things around this year......I don't know why people expect that.

The management will continue to bring in players and will hopefully be able to retain the good ones on decent wages. So far, Plata has been a great find and Martina and Eckersley look useful. Anyone who has great expectations for this season is delusional. I wrote this season off a long time ago. It's a rebuilding season. Let's see what Winter does in the transfer window.

Everyone who bitches about why he goes with the same players all the time might not know the reason. Perhaps he's trying to evaluate them to see if he really wants to keep them or not.

Is this team shit? Yes, if fucking shit. However, why anyone expected differently is beyond me.
    Your thoughts are fairly close to my own.

This is still a season of growth to me - and we are still a ways off from knowing whether that growth is occurring. I expected this season to be a write-off as far as the results column goes.

That will be little solace to the STH's paying exorbitant prices this season to go and watch it, but it is what it is. I will be interested to see what Winter does in the transfer window.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 05-28-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post

Agree 100% ,spot on.

and just to add on top of that Winter is not going anywhere for the next 12-14 months,so you can ask for his head as much as you want,but this time ML$E will not listen to us(Thanks god).

So love it or hate it, Winter will be the first TFC Coach for more than 18 months.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Man Utd didn't do themselves proud. They were poor.
    Ferguson got it wrong and his team were completely outclassed.
    One of the best 2 teams in the world ?
    That MIGHT, might, be the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen on these boards. I can't think of anything that'd come close to topping it but I hesitate to say it definitely is. Either you're totally insane or incapable of appreciating greatness.

to topic- I was going to end my TFC boycott and attend the game today with 3 people who have never seen a TFC game. But I got called in to work at the last min and cancelled. Thank god for that. I'm considering hibernating until the transfer window opens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC are shite enough
    let's please keep the Manure talk out of here

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if today was the final shit-show so MLSE gives approval to two more DPs -- and a 3rd after JDG is gone... (Not that a bunch of DPs is necessarily a smart thing -- RSL is doing very well without any real DP.)

I can't imagine what JDG is going to do after this season. I believe his contract is up. I think he's worth tops $200k here, if you look at this average performance. Yes he's had some good games, but also some bad ones. I can't see him being signed back in Europe for any decent money, if he keeps being so unreliable here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Your thoughts are fairly close to my own.

This is still a season of growth to me - and we are still a ways off from knowing whether that growth is occurring. I expected this season to be a write-off as far as the results column goes.

That will be little solace to the STH's paying exorbitant prices this season to go and watch it, but it is what it is. I will be interested to see what Winter does in the transfer window.

- Scott
    This will be the first transfer window Winter has ever participated in. Is there really any reason for us to think he will do better than every team we are chasing? Winter should have a lot more help - not assistants but guys above him in the organization. It's really too much to expect a guy to come into the league and do everything that's been asked of him.

I realize that there's Mariner, too, but since the first week he was here and said they were on the verge of a "big signing" we haven't heard much from him. And he was only ever the assistant in NE.

It's not unreasonable for us to have expected more from the 15 guys they have brought in. So far we've seen no real evidence that these guys CAN sign the players they claim they need.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still feel like this team is better than our squad last season.
    Our defense is clearly the biggest stumbling block. I think gargan got his last chance today and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't feature in squad anymore.

2 signings could dramatically change this teams success. A left back and a target man striker.

I'm not throwing winter or the team under the bus yet.

the scoreline was our worst ever today, but I think we've had worse losses as a club.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    This will be the first transfer window Winter has ever participated in. Is there really any reason for us to think he will do better than every team we are chasing? Winter should have a lot more help - not assistants but guys above him in the organization. It's really too much to expect a guy to come into the league and do everything that's been asked of him.

I realize that there's Mariner, too, but since the first week he was here and said they were on the verge of a "big signing" we haven't heard much from him. And he was only ever the assistant in NE.

It's not unreasonable for us to have expected more from the 15 guys they have brought in. So far we've seen no real evidence that these guys CAN sign the players they claim they need.
    Plata and ecks are 2 of the best players to ever wear the red are some evidence to me that these guys can find and bring in talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I still feel like this team is better than our squad last season.
    Our defense is clearly the biggest stumbling block. I think gargan got his last chance today and wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't feature in squad anymore.

2 signings could dramatically change this teams success. A left back and a target man striker.

I'm not throwing winter or the team under the bus yet.

the scoreline was our worst ever today, but I think we've had worse losses as a club.

The Vancouver away game before the Miracle in Montreal comes to mind. By far the closest I've ever come to giving up on the team. I'm pretty sure Milltown FC was born out of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ They're both on loans, aren't they? Not necessarily a bad thing, but TFC doesn't have a very good record of retaining players, either.

But maybe you're right, maybe over the next year the team will get dramatically better and leapfrog over a few teams ahead. Might as well be optimistic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    So far we've seen no real evidence that these guys CAN sign the players they claim they need.
    As you yourself mentioned, this will be his first transfer window as manager of TFC. Which is why I said it will be interesting to see what he does with it.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    Winter needs new players.. he knows it and is waiting for the transfer window... be patient guys... he knows that harden and gargan etc stink
    pppfffffftttt

if winter thinks they stink, then what does he think of all the players he doesn't start?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a very principled person, as a rule. I'm usually one of the loudest to complain, but don't often take the stand needed for change.

I've ridden the roller coaster with everyone else in TFC land over the past 5 years.
    I joined in with everyone who wondered about renewing over the past couple years. But I always knew that I'd renew. I hoped others would stand up, and make a point, and not renew, but I could just wait in the background, quietly renewing, hoping to reap the benefits that the protest brought.

I've got thousands of dollars in merch. Not even worth counting really. Probably close to $10,000. I've bought every ticket to every game. Every friendly. Every NCC and CCL. Even if I could go. I'd give them to friends. I've never ever gone to a game and spent less than $50. Ever.

I always figured I'd give these tickets to my kids. I always talked with my Day 1 friends about the "best $200 gamble we ever took!"

I never, ever considered not renewing. Until today. After 5 years, and all of this support and loyalty that I've shown, I don't feel any of it has been rewarded or validated in any way.

I don't need to be convinced why I'm wrong, or why I was never a fan in the first place. I never thought I'd ever be here. But I am. And as I customer, I always have a choice to buy whichever mousetrap I want. This is a horrible mousetrap. And always has been. And the company is misguided and lost, with shows no signs of recovery, or respecting the annuity with which I provide them so politely.

This isn't a case of whether I'm a real fan or not. But I had always planned on spending $3,000 to $4,000 a year (plus increases) for the next 40 years, and now, that doesn't really seem like a good idea.

Losing people like me should scare the shit out of TFC.

This was the golden goose, and the F.O. squandered it. And now, after 5 misguided years, TFC are *THIS* close to becoming the Argos. And not many people in Toronto are going to care if they succeed or not. People in your office aren't going to be talking about the backline, or the midfield. They are so close to not mattering to a lot of people. And it's too bad. Because it didn't have to be like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    What could Winter have done differently to stop that? The team blows, not much a coach can do with that.
    his players buck stops with him or do we blame the supporters for not getting behind the, team 13 games in and no improvement in the team iff anything going backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 117 View Post
    I'm not a very principled person, as a rule. I'm usually one of the loudest to complain, but don't often take the stand needed for change.

I've ridden the roller coaster with everyone else in TFC land over the past 5 years.
    I joined in with everyone who wondered about renewing over the past couple years. But I always knew that I'd renew. I hoped others would stand up, and make a point, and not renew, but I could just wait in the background, quietly renewing, hoping to reap the benefits that the protest brought.

I've got thousands of dollars in merch. Not even worth counting really. Probably close to $10,000. I've bought every ticket to every game. Every friendly. Every NCC and CCL. Even if I could go. I'd give them to friends. I've never ever gone to a game and spent less than $50. Ever.

I always figured I'd give these tickets to my kids. I always talked with my Day 1 friends about the "best $200 gamble we ever took!"

I never, ever considered not renewing. Until today. After 5 years, and all of this support and loyalty that I've shown, I don't feel any of it has been rewarded or validated in any way.

I don't need to be convinced why I'm wrong, or why I was never a fan in the first place. I never thought I'd ever be here. But I am. And as I customer, I always have a choice to buy whichever mousetrap I want. This is a horrible mousetrap. And always has been. And the company is misguided and lost, with shows no signs of recovery, or respecting the annuity with which I provide them so politely.

This isn't a case of whether I'm a real fan or not. But I had always planned on spending $3,000 to $4,000 a year (plus increases) for the next 40 years, and now, that doesn't really seem like a good idea.

Losing people like me should scare the shit out of TFC.

This was the golden goose, and the F.O. squandered it. And now, after 5 misguided years, TFC are *THIS* close to becoming the Argos. And not many people in Toronto are going to care if they succeed or not. People in your office aren't going to be talking about the backline, or the midfield. They are so close to not mattering to a lot of people. And it's too bad. Because it didn't have to be like this.

This should be stapled to Tom Anselmi's forehead

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That post by 117, that is beautifully written and 100% how it is for me also this year.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To all those freaking out and abandoning the team, I have to ask, what did you expect? Yes, today was a disgrace. But if you thought this season was going to be a cakewalk then you were sniffing glue. A good team isn't built in a few months. We should be happy if we're seeing some consistent signs of progress by mid-season. Playoffs? Very unlikely, and they always have been.

Give your head a shake, people. Take a nap. Calm down. It's going to be okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect post by #117. At least I've been clever enough to figure this out after the second season. Better late than never in your case 117.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

table does not lie unless he brings in at least 5 players we will be sitting bottom