RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morning, thanks again.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...field-identity

Up in Canada, Toronto FC have looked a lot like a team with a plan. But with pieces that keep falling away, it's been impossible for the plan to work on a consistent basis. Whether it’s red cards, injuries or international call-ups, there just hasn’t been much in the way of smooth sailing for the Reds.
    One thing that’s become apparent, though, is that whenever big target man Alan Gordon is in the lineup, Toronto are a team to be reckoned with. Problem is, Gordon has suffered one injury after another since the opening weeks, and TFC have struggled as a result.
    Into the breech, then, steps English Premier League veteran Jason Roberts. The London-born Grenadan international has bounced between the Premiership and Championship for the past decade and has more than 100 goals to his credit in English soccer. He’s also got 12 in 22 games with Grenada, and as US fans can attest — remember, the US met Grenada in a two-leg World Cup qualifying series back in 2004, and the Spice Boys (yes, that’s their nickname) acquitted themselves well — Roberts is an absolute handful.
    He’s lost a step from those days, but at 33, he still has something left in his legs and is masterful at holding the ball up and bringing others into the play, an area in which TFC is lost without Gordon. He wouldn’t come cheaply, but proven class rarely does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_R...8footballer%29
    Last edited by West220Side; 05-21-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Link only ,please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roberts is exactly the kind of player who has the best chance of being successfull in the MLS, big, strong, physical, isn't affraid of hard tackling defenders, holds the ball up well and can either flick the ball on (the way Dichio used to do so well) or take his own shot. He'd be a perfect fit for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and mornin' D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NIce for Plata to be called up but is he now not available for selection on Sunday? With our injuries and suspensions this isn't helping if he can't be available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    NIce for Plata to be called up but is he now not available for selection on Sunday? With our injuries and suspensions this isn't helping if he can't be available.
    If i'm not wrong Antonio Valencia got the call up for the game aswell, and he plays Plata's position on the wing? I would doubt Plata would even see any minutes in this game. I might be wrong..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by West220Side View Post
    If i'm not wrong Antonio Valencia got the call up for the game aswell, and he plays Plata's position on the wing? I would doubt Plata would even see any minutes in this game. I might be wrong..
    Valencia misses the friendlies on May 28 and June 1 due to Champions League Final

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Valencia misses the friendlies on May 28 and June 1 due to Champions League Final
    Yeah, i just read that.

Valencia will miss exhibitions against Mexico on May 28 and Canada on June 1 because his club is involved in the Champions League final against Barcelona on May 28.

My bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"One of Joao Plata’s biggest dreams is about to come true: The diminutive Toronto FC winger will get the chance to trade in his club’s red jersey for a week-and-a-half to wear Ecuador’s yellow-and-blue kits."

Big congrats to Plata. We'll miss him, but only because he busts his ass for the club. Totally deserves the call up.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations to Plata.
    NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It says he'll be reporting to camp on Sunday.... does that mean he's not available for the cup final???! Really happy for him, but I'd be worried if we don't have him for that game.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It sucks that he won't be with the team, but the fact he got called up is something that he should be proud of, as well as the team.

Congrats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plata is one of the few players that I truely enjoy watching, but...he won't really be missed. With or without him I don't like our chances vs the Rapids and Vancouver effectively neutralized him in the last game. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have him play than not have him play but in these particular games its not a huge loss.

The fact that we have an Ecuadorian international on our squad (on a non-DP salary!) is a nice positive to this season.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Info from Colorado ahead of the game

Colorado blogger talks about their good time in toronto at mlscup, marvell wynne, their expectations for the year, and formation and line up expectations. They're almost fully fit again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has TFC actually been linked with a move for Roberts or is this just someone putting it out there as he's the kind of player TFC needs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Has TFC actually been linked with a move for Roberts or is this just someone putting it out there as he's the kind of player TFC needs?
    Seems to be just MLS blowing it out randomly connecting random bigger name players that are free agents to who they could fit in well with inside the MLS.

So I would say that MLS is just saying thats the type of player we need big, strong, Danny Dichio like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's what I assumed. Pretty sure a player of that style could found cheaper, and younger, than Jason Roberts. For example every Football League team in England has a couple players like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roberts used to be great but he's lost a step or two over the last few years and doesn't score much anymore (4 goals in 21 appearances last year, most of them as a sub). Dunno if he'd do us much good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Dichio had lost a step and only scored something like 10 goals in 60 odd games in the Championship. The fact that Roberts has lost a step and doesn't have a great strike rate in the Premiership is beyond irrelevant - the style of game that he plays is exactly what we need. If we're going to play either Dutch formations (4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1) we need a true CF. Gordon has done well in that role, but he's often hurt. Having two guys who can do the job would do us well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    ^ Dichio had lost a step and only scored something like 10 goals in 60 odd games in the Championship. The fact that Roberts has lost a step and doesn't have a great strike rate in the Premiership is beyond irrelevant - the style of game that he plays is exactly what we need. If we're going to play either Dutch formations (4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1) we need a true CF. Gordon has done well in that role, but he's often hurt. Having two guys who can do the job would do us well.
    100% spot on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scored today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who did?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    scored today
    Haha, yep, added an assist as well....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Ya, good timing on the Roberts goal! ;-) I like the guy, just think he'd be a little old to play here.