View Poll Results: Is TFC on track?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • OK MLSE sucks, but I believe WinterMariner are on track - I'm a longtime SSH

96 47.29%
  • OK MLSE sucks, but I believe WinterMariner are on track - I'm not a longtime SSH

58 28.57%
  • WinterMariner are not on track yet, and I'm seriously worried/tired of it - I'm a longtime SSH

40 19.70%
  • WinterMariner are not on track yet, and I'm seriously worried/tired of it - I'm not a longtime SSH

9 4.43%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    I just read this article in the Globe and Mail about the Thrashers pending move to Winnipeg. I've put in brackets what word can be replaced to summarize our woes:

"They’ve had 11 (5) seasons, three(8) more (less) than the Flames (Blizzard) did. They set up shop in a new arena and rode a wave of good will. They capitalized on none of it. If/when they leave, it won’t be because Atlanta (Toronto) failed the Thrashers (TFC). It will be because the Thrashers (TFC) failed Atlanta (Toronto)." And they did so spectacularly, to the point that there's now plenty of blame to go around.
    But the biggest heaping should be reserved for both the Atlanta Spirit (MLSE), one of the more inept ownership groups in a league with a long history of them, and the NHL (MLS), for allowing this group to steer the Thrashers (TFC) into the ground almost from Day 1.
    Under the circumstances, it's amazing they had as many fans as they did.

Yep, that does summarize it quite well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Giles, I love you man, but this team doesnt deserve the unwavering loyalty, manic optimism, blind faith and belief in magic that goes into supporting our 'bigger team'

Funnily enough, when it turned out that our team might lose the ability to deliver on that kind of support, the fans got downright nasty and reclaimed it, setting the rules for the new owners in the process. Nobody should be derided for doing the same here.

In Torontos case, we offered that kind of support in season one and two, and I feel they pissed on it to be honest, and I still think theyre pissing on it, and It makes me sad.

I suspect many of our players not to give a rats arse about this place, or us. You can tell that some of them are dying to be traded away, our local heroes are dropping like flies and dont seem to put any real stock in the badge. See any crest kisses lately? who among the team right now is a candidate for crest kisser? maybe Plata, but we'll see how his morale holds up.

Our team gives rival fans every excuse to ridicule us, and were on our own, theyre not defending our honour one fucking bit.

So yeah. anyway. thats where im at.
    Well said Ian.
    I have followed these temps. everywhere on some glorious road trips with my group, made glorious because of like minded supporters.
    Here are some of the highlights.

1. Charleston Challenge Cup 2008. A group of us show up to the College of Charleston to watch a TFC practice and the team is immediatley moved to a pitch farther away from us. Fact.

2. DC 2010. After watching a losing effort a group of TFC supporters congregate at the exit gate to give our support to the squad which is quickly boarded onto a bus and continues to plow through a group of well wishing supporters. Fact.

3. Charleston 2011. After a uninspired tournament once again, only Winter and Declerk came over to our section to thank us. Fact.

I haven't see one ounce of respect from the FO right down to the players at TFC .
    When I support I expect support, otherwise?
    Fuck off.
    KD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    You mean like this:
    LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good news is that TFC will likely only lose 1 or 2 players for this Gold Cup. JDG has been called up and Williams will almost for certain be called for Jamaica.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's confirmed, Dicoy Williams called up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's impossible to know if we are on the "right track" at this relatively early stage in Winter/Mariner's tenure. However, everything I've seen so far has overall given me confidence that this team will have it's brightest days under Winter's rule.

There has been some good and some bad, of course - but overall I'm liking what I'm seeing. I've also been pretty impressed overall with the players he has managed to bring in himself, and can't wait to see what moves he makes next as more and more Mo-era contracts are shed.

MLSE doesn't really enter into the mental equation for me, whatever I think of them as owners. The non-stop yakking about MLSE "killing the golden goose", and so on, has gotten really tedious. As long as they aren't obstructing Winter's vision for the team - and we have no compelling evidence that they are - they don't really have much to do with this question.

Issues like their shared responsibility in the failures of this team in the past, and their short-sightedness with ticket pricing, are a separate matter.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 05-24-2011 at 07:03 AM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the verdict is in - if forced to choose, clearly the majority thinks TFC are "on track". Whether you are an SSH or not. So I was wrong about that.

I would note, though that this survey ran during a pretty positive week - we were underdog in both the games played, and eeked out points, so that had a bit of an impact.

Also, there is an interesting dichotomy - virtually all of those who voted "not on track" are SSHs, so there is something to the idea that SSHs are more likely to be unhappy.

I'd be plenty worried if I owned the team - RPB are disproportionately in lower priced seats. I can only imagine what a similar survey of those in more pricey seats would show.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we win tomorrow, we're justy under .500...which IMO is about the best that could have been expected with a whole new line-up, system, and coaches....from what I've seen and heard is that players from outside NA now wnat to come to TFC because of the coaching group we have in place...so the future holds promise...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    If we win tomorrow, we're justy under .500....
    I'm confused, with 3 point wins, how exactly to do you calculate .500 in soccer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I'm confused, with 3 point wins, how exactly to do you calculate .500 in soccer?
    wins vs losses

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lobo View Post
    wins vs losses
    But that doesn't make sense, especially when every 3 ties is the equivalent of 1 win and 2 losses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what I've seen and heard is that players from outside NA now wnat to come to TFC because of the coaching group we have in place...so the future holds promise...
    I really hope this is true, as it would be unprecedented, and a refreshing change for the organization as a whole...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recount?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Ahaha. I want a do-over, it's our only chance with this team!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we win tomorrow, we're justy under .500...which IMO is about the best that could have been expected with a whole new line-up, system, and coaches....from what I've seen and heard is that players from outside NA now want to come to TFC because of the coaching group we have in place...so the future holds promise...
    What are you seeing and hearing that even remotely suggests this? I would wager that most players who know of this team don't want anything to do with it.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 05-28-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.