View Poll Results: Is TFC on track?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • OK MLSE sucks, but I believe WinterMariner are on track - I'm a longtime SSH

96 47.29%
  • OK MLSE sucks, but I believe WinterMariner are on track - I'm not a longtime SSH

58 28.57%
  • WinterMariner are not on track yet, and I'm seriously worried/tired of it - I'm a longtime SSH

40 19.70%
  • WinterMariner are not on track yet, and I'm seriously worried/tired of it - I'm not a longtime SSH

9 4.43%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are we on track?

If we had lost last night, I would have waited because the anger around that would have contaminated the poll.

But since we "won"....there are clearly some very vocal positions being taken both ways, but I'm curious to know where people in aggregate think we are.

This is really an attempt to have a referendum on the WinterMariner era so far, neutralize the impact of MLSE (I'm pretty sure an MLSE referendum wouldn't be that interesting!) and understand the impact of being an SSH on frustration level.

The poll closes in 7 days, and the results are hidden until then (it's an experiment, I have a suspicion on these polls that being able to see the results actually influence the outcome)
    Last edited by ensco; 05-19-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could just say "lol, no!" but in the ncc, we seem to perform and in in mls proper we're much like Jekyll and Hyde. if we had consistency across the the board, most fans would be content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if we are on track, but last nights result was not indicative of our performance. Obviously I realize that coming out of that game with an away goal and draw is an excellent result, but we were outclassed for a good portion of the game. And yes I realize the end result is the most important and good teams get lucky etc etc, but I don't see how most of our players performance last night can be seen as positive, or progressive. It was awesome seeing another team getting the shaft from a ref for once though lol. So I guess to answer your question of where we are my answer would be - the same place we've always been.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We're on track, I'm just not sure at which station we'll end up.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    So I guess to answer your question of where we are my answer would be - the same place we've always been.
    Oh snap, I forgot to put a fifth existential option with some sort of Camus quote in there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bertal View Post
    I could just say "lol, no!" but in the ncc, we seem to perform and in in mls proper we're much like Jekyll and Hyde. if we had consistency across the the board, most fans would be content
    I think last night was a poor display, and grabbing a desperate point from a superior team suffering from a bad case of Cunningham-Barrettitis, is hardly an indication that we 'performed'

After sunday, the next leg is going to be brutal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Oh snap, I forgot to put a fifth existential option with some sort of Camus quote in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our forwards don`t seem to be a threat like What the whitecaps showed.If Gargon didn`t crap his pants trying to defend their speedster and was definately outclassed.Some people seem to think we need only a couple of players,I think we need to pick up a few more and release the one`s who are struggling.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC at this stage:

There are elements of our game that are getting better at. That this clear.
    The areas in our game we are not good at - we are absolutely brutal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm somewhere in the middle so I can't vote. I honestly don't know whether we are on track or not. The play on the field tells me we aren't. But the players that have been brought in tells me we are. It's very difficult to analyze this team as this point.

Oh, and I've had season tickets since beginning of Season 2. But I didn't miss a home game in Season 1.
    Last edited by Pachuco; 05-19-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The day I start seeing some consistencies with the roster and play on the field is the day I will say we are on track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could have gone with some Talking Heads, too, same as it ever was.

Maybe there's more direction to this team. Still, I expected a significant signing to set the tone for the new management, someone with proven leadership qualities.

This roster seems just as pieced together as anything Mo gave us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It feels like i am watching the world's longest pre-season.
    I think Winter/Mariner have some good long term ideas, but are trying to build a complete team without all the pieces of the puzzle. They keep trying different players in different roles 'hoping' something fits. I hope they realize by now, MLSE has given them a puzzle purchased at a garage sale!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's too early to tell.

I am encouraged by the quality of some of the players that have been acquired by the new management regime, but the overall inconsistency of the team's performances thus far makes it difficult to gauge progress so early in the season.

I think we'll have a much clearer picture in the second half of the schedule.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It's too early to tell.

As a manager, Winter's had 23 games in total (11 league, 9 preseason, 3 NCC).

Most of these games have been against weaker teams.

I have criticized WinterMariner for not bringing players in, and that's possibly a premature criticism.

But I think 23 games is enough to have some sort of opinion about how these guys are doing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Winter/Mariner will bring in a DP this summer. There is no way they can't do it. MLSE has to give fans something to believe in for next season because the irrational euphoria of having a "European" coach from Ajax will be wiped away with our record come the end of the season.

I think we will be very near the bottom by the time the DP comes in, have another difficult summer while the DP acclamates and then finish of the year strong with a run of wins that will be meaningless for this season but will give hope for the next. That is how I think this year plays out. And I think TFC fans will be robbed because of it, since I don't think it was necessary to suck this bad while we wait for a saviour DP.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Results wise it's still more of the same.

The question right now is - will TFC go in a swoon in the summer like they always do or will there be improvement of their record in the summer?

Will TFC have a better road record than they've had in the past? Their road record in the past have been beyond abysmal.

There are still lots of questions that have to be answered.

That's why it's still inconclusive.

We can speculate all we want but none of us have the answers really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take away Frei and Eckersley (not really sure if i should put JDG in there since i've lost faith in him) and we have the personnel that resembles that of FC Edmonton.

I believe that Winter/Mariner are not even close to having the roster they need in order to be successful so it is still early to tell.

With the young guys like Cordon, Plata and even Tchani garnering more experience, i see hope for the future. Down the road they'll be adding some class veterans and possibly a couple of DP's while ridding themselves of players that don't fit the mold, and we'll start looking more like an MLS contender and not a pretender.

This is what i'm hoping for anyway. But i didn't expect much from this season, other than further developing younger players and turning over the roster.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, I don't see JDG being retained as a DP next season so that's definitely one piece that will need to be turned over next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a manager, Winter's had 23 games in total (11 league, 9 preseason, 3 NCC).

Most of these games have been against weaker teams.

I have criticized WinterMariner for not bringing players in, and that's possibly a premature criticism.

But I think 23 games is enough to have some sort of opinion about how these guys are doing.
    As far as Winter's record, the match results from the preseason are meaningless though, aren't they?

Many of our current starters weren't with the club yet in the preseason, and those matches were primarily used to gauge the overall ability of individual players, and begin implementing a new system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I think Winter/Mariner will bring in a DP this summer. There is no way they can't do it. MLSE has to give fans something to believe in for next season because the irrational euphoria of having a "European" coach from Ajax will be wiped away with our record come the end of the season.

I think we will be very near the bottom by the time the DP comes in, have another difficult summer while the DP acclamates and then finish of the year strong with a run of wins that will be meaningless for this season but will give hope for the next. That is how I think this year plays out. And I think TFC fans will be robbed because of it, since I don't think it was necessary to suck this bad while we wait for a saviour DP.
    Ok, who's your source that told you MY AGENT was in contact with TFC...???

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    I'm somewhere in the middle so I can't vote. I honestly don't know whether we are on track or not. The play on the field tells me we aren't. But the players that have been brought in tells me we are. It's very difficult to analyze this team as this point.

im probably in this mindset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Ok, who's your source that told you MY AGENT was in contact with TFC...???

Carts...
    Designated Producer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here since day 1 and I can honestly say that while there is a slight improvement in some ares ( mid ) ... we are no further ahead: in fact, we simply do not have the players that are comfortable on the ball . I am very dissapointed as I believe that the playoffs are going to be missed again. Unless we get a couple of impact players that stay healthy, we will be in the bottom 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're on the rebuilding track.

Every time we move towards the playoff track our route gets redirected to rebuilding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate result hidden polls.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Well, I don't see JDG being retained as a DP next season so that's definitely one piece that will need to be turned over next season.

He had in my opinion a great game yesterday, I would hate to see the midfield without him....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the fuck are the results hidden? We doing Market Research for MLSE now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the important thing is to stick with the plan and keep a core group of players together instead of always rebuilding. If we do that then I think we will hit playoffs next season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gomesv View Post
    He had in my opinion a great game yesterday, I would hate to see the midfield without him....
    Yeah I thought JDG actually stood out yesterday and linked up the midfield with the defensive line real well. He also bailed out our CB's on a number of occasions when they were caught out of position.

As far as the season I think we are making progress even though the results still aren't great and it is hard to watch the brutal parts they are still working on. I think Winter needs to still get rid of some guys that he probably had to keep this year due to contractual obligations. Anything that they can achieve this year is just gravy for me.