Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The mindset of management

I just saw a tweet from Mr Paul Beirne:

@Paulbeirne
    @lzwer prices are staying flat.
    Which was in response to:

@lzwer

Let's see MLSE try to raise #TFC season ticket prices next year.
    This is the biggest problem with this club... the only issue the suits think they have is pricing season tickets. He has retweeted this several times this season and doesnt seem to realize that freezing ALREADY HIGH-PRICED tickets is not going to magically bring the fans back next year.
    I'm sorry TFC but unless I see value in my already high ticket prices why would freezing tickets make everything OK in November?
    I swear these people are clueless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course they are clueless, but they are also arrogant, which is why when they have failed, they have not adjusted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's alot more that's going to stay flat as well Mr. Beirne. Atmosphere, attendance, ticket sales, merchandise sales are all going to be pretty "flat" if your ticket prices stay flat.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    There's alot more that's going to stay flat as well Mr. Beirne. Atmosphere, attendance, ticket sales, merchandise sales are all going to be pretty "flat" if your ticket prices stay flat.
    They will be lucky if attendance and atmosphere remain flat. A steady decline is much more likely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They must be spending money on a high profile DP then. It's the only explanation. Otherwise BMO will be a mausoleum next year.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They must be spending money on a high profile DP then. It's the only explanation. Otherwise BMO will be a mausoleum next year.
    I think a DP is a must. I'd be shocked if one did not come in for summer, too late for this year no surprise. But with doubt over JDG coming back and losing production on the goal-scoring front (for some strange reason even tho we're playing "attacking" soccer) a forward DP (finally) has to come in. They'd be dumber than I already think they are if they didn't.

But remember, that will justify price increases after next year's "generous" price freeze.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    This is the biggest problem with this club... the only issue the suits think they have is pricing season tickets.
    Isn't that a case though to not lower ticket prices? Because it's not the biggest problem with the club, so why lower them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I think a DP is a must. I'd be shocked if one did not come in for summer, too late for this year no surprise. But with doubt over JDG coming back and losing production on the goal-scoring front (for some strange reason even tho we're playing "attacking" soccer) a forward DP (finally) has to come in. They'd be dumber than I already think they are if they didn't.

But remember, that will justify price increases after next year's "generous" price freeze.
    That would be amusing.

It depends on the player, but it probably won't work if they try that.

Ticket base is too fragile.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm committed to a few more games this season and no way in hell am I paying full price to see the other games. Won't be back next year at these prices. 150$ for the privilege to watch mostly dull soccer, awful game-deciding officiating and then on top have to deal with all the traffic/parking headaches. No thanks.

I've been attending games for 2 seasons now (since moved to GTA). The thrill of live experience is gone and its priced way above the value.

Also: I actually get angry when i see the face value printed on ticket when I bring them out on game days. Its like going to an expensive restaurant and being served garbage food. Thats how every live game feels to me this season.
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 05-15-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That would be amusing.

It depends on the player, but it probably won't work if they try that.

Ticket base is too fragile.

A DP or will they just hire a bigger name consultant? Are consultant fees tax deductable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is insane is that toronto fc season ticket holders don't get any type of discount or anything to academy games

$15 for the academy...$20 for supporters section for first team (STH price)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A DP is a MUST just to mantain the current mostly apathetic and disinterested people that they have now. If they want to get things back to where they were they're going to have to think a lot bigger...two DP's of the house-hold name variety (Marquez/Henry types), 3 of JDG doesn't come back and make a long term committment to a price freeze.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    what is insane is that toronto fc season ticket holders don't get any type of discount or anything to academy games

If they made these games $5 they'd get 10x the turn out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    A DP or will they just hire a bigger name consultant? Are consultant fees tax deductable?
    Maybe the next consultant will look further afield than Toronto for ideas. Maybe he'll contact someone in Oakville or Mississauga nxt time.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ticket prices are staying flat next year, then that means they're staying really really high. My buddies and I are out next season as SSHs without a significant price cut (which I don't think will happen). It'll be so easy to get walkup tickets that there's really no point getting seasons, especially given how overpriced they are. My friends and I have a really hard time currently try to give tickets away (never mind selling them). Can you imagine what the situation will be at the end of this year when we finish, as projected, close to the bottom of the table?

I've been to almost every single home game the last three years, but I just don't think I have the patience any more - again, especially at these prices. I'll continue to support the team, but it won't be through seasons and it might not always be at BMO.

EDIT: As far as a DP goes, it's bizarre to me to bring one in when a season is beyond salvage. I guess they have to, given that most players go out of contract for the summer window? In any case, I just hope that this doesn't turn out to be a desperation signing of a profile-over-quality player, like a Luca Toni.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    EDIT: As far as a DP goes, it's bizarre to me to bring one in when a season is beyond salvage. I guess they have to, given that most players go out of contract for the summer window? In any case, I just hope that this doesn't turn out to be a desperation signing of a profile-over-quality player, like a Luca Toni.
    Where is the season beyond salvageable?
    We are 13th out of 18th with 68% of the season to go.
    8 through 12 are 3 points or less ahead. Some of those have only 1 game in hand. If we won last night we would right in the thick of the playoff race.
    Half of the games we have played ended up in a draw, a DP striker would help in those situations.
    Also, I would think a DP striker would be coming in June sometime as the Euro leagues would be well and done for a couple of weeks by then.
    All in all, the season is still salvageable.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FIFA rules are a little sketchy here, we may not be able to sign a player who has played in Europe until July 15. By that time we will have played 21 of our 34 MLS games. Will we still be within a shouting distances of a playoff spot than? Its possible, especially with over 50% of teams making the playoffs.

As for the pricing, even with a price freeze they can actually claim to their bosses that they have raised prices, because there won't be a free game this time.

They can probably get away with not touching the prices on the south end and light grey ticket prices. But I think they would be insane to not discount the rest of the stadium.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They could swap stadiums. Academy @ BMO and TFC at Lamport. Unless a BIG name DP is brought in I don't see sellouts anywhere in the senior teams future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is completely ridiculous. You would think with a season pack they'd stuff in 6 complimentary Academy tickets - you know so that you can introduce new fans to the game, maybe bring your kids, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same as it ever was

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think because we are hardcore fans we tend to over-value of the interest in the Academy.

If TFC gave SSH Academy tickets they would be the equivalent of Marlies tickets. The average SSH doesn't give a shit about the CSL Academy team and would have no interest attending games.

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I disagree with this assessment. I don't have any real facts, but its just a general feeling that it wouldn't matter.

It might have been possible in the CSL Academy team in its first season, but not now.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 05-15-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Where is the season beyond salvageable?
    We are 13th out of 18th with 68% of the season to go.
    8 through 12 are 3 points or less ahead. Some of those have only 1 game in hand. If we won last night we would right in the thick of the playoff race.
    Half of the games we have played ended up in a draw, a DP striker would help in those situations.
    Also, I would think a DP striker would be coming in June sometime as the Euro leagues would be well and done for a couple of weeks by then.
    All in all, the season is still salvageable.

Thank you! The season is about being consistent. Two weeks ago Dallas were apparently a terrible team and Houston great, but now it is reveresed. I understand that we are very negative (especially after a loss), but I think the team is showing signs of improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drexel10 View Post
    Thank you! The season is about being consistent. Two weeks ago Dallas were apparently a terrible team and Houston great, but now it is reveresed. I understand that we are very negative (especially after a loss), but I think the team is showing signs of improvement.
    And so far we've been very good at that! Let's hope we see some inconsistency now in that we finally string together a few wins!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reposted from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    For those that think signing a "name" DP would solve TFC's ticket selling problems, ask yourself why "the Beckham game" in 2007 was fetching $400-$500 per ticket from scalpers, while the same game this year had walk-up tickets still available for purchase the day of the game.

The road to redemption will be long and winding for MLSE as far as TFC is concerned.
    Really, I think those that believe signing a DP will solve interest problems, you will be proven wrong if that happens. Might buy them one year at the same renewal rate (which was bad to begin with), tops.

Like Roogsy said, it takes a special kind of incompetence to screw up something that has been gift-wrapped for you. I believe the only reason the entire FO hasn't been canned yet is because of the rumored MLSE sale and firing people involved in the business aspect of the team would be an admission of a failing product and would lower the value.

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    All we need to do is get minimum 20-50 people together for a game and tickets can be had in "group buys" for $5-8... this applies to not only home games but away games as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    FIFA rules are a little sketchy here, we may not be able to sign a player who has played in Europe until July 15. By that time we will have played 21 of our 34 MLS games. Will we still be within a shouting distances of a playoff spot than? Its possible, especially with over 50% of teams making the playoffs.

As for the pricing, even with a price freeze they can actually claim to their bosses that they have raised prices, because there won't be a free game this time.

They can probably get away with not touching the prices on the south end and light grey ticket prices. But I think they would be insane to not discount the rest of the stadium.
    I understand that but ...
    Danny D, although not a DP, came here in May for us. The leagues are done in 2 weeks in Europe. Don't see why MLS would be screwing their teams till July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaos197O View Post
    And so far we've been very good at that! Let's hope we see some inconsistency now in that we finally string together a few wins!
    We have always strung together a few wins, followed by more losses. If you look the evolution of RSL and Dallas in particular, they both made runs after being written off as lousy teams early in the year. They built up into good teams after that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO TRUE.....I mean they are idiots wouldn't families want to bring everyone to a game?,...never when it costs $60 for 4........and it breaks my heart cause I love the academies, the experience actually was on par if not better than at BMO,....I try not to be too negative and will probably be last to ever jump ship but while these non sports people run the ship I am sooo afraid of them ruining the soccer experience in TO, thats what I am willing to battle for, cause I love the game and support does mean in trying times!
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drexel10 View Post
    We have always strung together a few wins, followed by more losses. If you look the evolution of RSL and Dallas in particular, they both made runs after being written off as lousy teams early in the year. They built up into good teams after that.
    I can agree, my statement about TFC's consistency was based on this season only, at the time, but I guess it could apply to our entire history too.

I hope we'll see that exact evolution that happened with both Dallas and RSL. I have not written the season off as this is MLS and I've seen teams turn their seasons around with a couple of lucky games nevermind actually playing quality football. Literally, anything can happen, it's a long, long season.

The one thing I still cannot say is that our current form and the decisions being made by Winter inspire me to believe that this will actually transpire. Again, I hope to be wrong but the clock really is ticking as others have pointed out.
    Last edited by kaos197O; 05-15-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    that is completely ridiculous. You would think with a season pack they'd stuff in 6 complimentary Academy tickets - you know so that you can introduce new fans to the game, maybe bring your kids, etc.
    from what ive seen.i think the best striker we have is playing for the academy right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    I'm committed to a few more games this season and no way in hell am I paying full price to see the other games. Won't be back next year at these prices. 150$ for the privilege to watch mostly dull soccer, awful game-deciding officiating and then on top have to deal with all the traffic/parking headaches. No thanks.

I've been attending games for 2 seasons now (since moved to GTA). The thrill of live experience is gone and its priced way above the value.

Also: I actually get angry when i see the face value printed on ticket when I bring them out on game days. Its like going to an expensive restaurant and being served garbage food. Thats how every live game feels to me this season.
    It's like paying Keg prices at McDonald's. It just doesn't add up.

@boban - I"ve been hearing this story for the fifth season in a row now. There is no way that we'll make the playoffs this year.
    Last edited by Blixa; 05-15-2011 at 09:07 PM.