Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets agree that winter walked into a big mess, the players that are left from last season are the players he and mariner decided to keep all the rest are signed by him to play to winters game plan now iff they cant do that or they dont have the skill who do you blame ffs they went with these guys, we the fans have no say on who we sign we can only watch them play then decide,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    So you want MLSE to give you a timeline on how long a rope Mariner and Winter have?

Fine...ask them for one.

I've never known things to work this way in the sporting world but who knows, maybe it does.
    you dont need to ask them bums on seats in sept oct will be the aswer to that ,nothing like losing money wakes football owners wake up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Dear lord the Apocalypse is upon us.

Thanks, that's all I really want to say. On that note, I'm off to a Halo night with the guys.
    Nah the Apocolypse is May 20 or 21st. Forget what the billboards say. lol

This game was a prime of example of LOSING 2 points...
    Here's to hoping for a mid-late season run to make up the lost points and playoffs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Gawd you are ignorant....neither player was available...one for injury, one for bad conduct....and you critisize Winter when you don't even know who's available??? LMAO!!!
    was there not something mentioned early pre season with cann not happy with money on offer, atttakora not happy at lengh off deal tfc wanted him to sign nothing abt money he just did not want to commit to a long deal im sure that it was stated by attakoras agentabt bthe deal (they wanted 2 years tfc wanted 4years)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Nah the Apocolypse is May 20 or 21st. Forget what the billboards say. lol

This game was a prime of example of LOSING 2 points...
    Here's to hoping for a mid-late season run to make up the lost points and playoffs...

I will point to my earlier post in this thread.

The target number most people think will be needed to get into the playoffs is 40 points, being that there are 10 slots this year, 2 more than last year. With 23 league games left, we need 29 points to reach that target. That's 1.26 points per game. In all likelihood, that means a minimum of 6 wins with hopefully 11 draws and no more than 6 losses. Not all that unattainable but it definitely means there is no room for losses at home. With 10 games left at BMO Field, and with TFC's poor road record, unless TFC becomes road warriors all of a sudden, we need 6 wins minimum at home in those 10 games and 4 draws with an additional 7 draws on the road. Any losses at home will force us to start taking full points on the road.

In other words, we are still in it, but there is no more time to see "hopeful signs". 10th spot out of 18 teams is not an unreasonable expectation for this year. 8th spot would have been too ambitious but the league has gifted us this chance to squeeze in, I hope the team takes full advantage of it.
    We need to reach 29 points, which a minimum of 6 wins out of our remaining 23 games (but probably more wins will be necessary). That is not compeltely undoable. BUT everyone in TFC must start performing and mistakes have to be at a minimum. No more games where the team does not show up. No more slow starts or bad finishes. And no more boneheaded coaching decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by algieb View Post
    was there not something mentioned early pre season with cann not happy with money on offer, atttakora not happy at lengh off deal tfc wanted him to sign nothing abt money he just did not want to commit to a long deal im sure that it was stated by attakoras agentabt bthe deal (they wanted 2 years tfc wanted 4years)
    Cann was sent home until he signed the deal presented to him....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmillien View Post
    feel like TFC is missing that player-leader who can rally the troops in a case like saturday,. they need someone who can say "let's go boy, smarten up and lets get this win" i dont see that player on the roster right now
    That kind of player was Sam Cronin......

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I don't think the Plata sub was the turning point. Chicago was already pinning us into our own end. The Santos goal was against the run of play and made us look like we were doing better than we were.

One thing I found weird is that all 3 of our subs were our front attacking 3.
    Yeah I'd say the turning point was Chicago's first goal. It made our back second guess any contact and quick challenge and we weren't going on the offensive deep, even before that Santos goal which was a lucky bounce. Great performances from Plata and Eckersly again. Amazing workrate.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Cann was sent home until he signed the deal presented to him....
    sent home in 2009 or 2010? are you talking Mojo era or Winter era?

cuz he didn't sign a deal in 2010. He left camp when negotiations on a new deal faltered.
    Cann is currently playing under his old contract.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...-cann-tfc.html

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone else just get the TFC pre-game email for the Chicago game or is it just me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone else just get the TFC pre-game email for the Chicago game or is it just me?

I just got it, too, apparently we're going to douse the Fire...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I hate all those "funny" marketing slogans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    I just got it, too, apparently we're going to douse the Fire...
    ditto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^I hate all those "funny" marketing slogans.
    Can't wait to melt the Whitecaps on Wednesday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post

Or on Friday when we get the email about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post

If that is acctualy it, it will be funny, but only in that it is sad, and that it was so lame and predictable.

And if, as beach red pointed out, we get it on Friday, after we drop points to them on Wednesday it will be not so funny.
    Last edited by trane; 05-16-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say this the last goal, was the same shit, from the previous 4 years. Good defending, they got tight on the attacker on the left side of the area, the kept him out, and almost played him into touch, all he could do is put a desperate cross accross the goal, were there was no one.HOWEVER, the rest of the team was watching this happen, and a player was able to waltz in at the open end of the goal. Were the fuck were the over 7 players, why the fuck was no one guarding the line on the other end, why was NO ONE MARKING THE MAN. FUCK season 5o for fuck sakes, even if they had a team of fuckers who never played before 2007 had they played for 5 years, they would have learned how to avoid such goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaicanadian View Post
    Bro! How come you're not coaching at this level.......but writing about coaching at this level?

As much as it pains me to say this; your opinion is as good as mine!
    Took some of the courses, helped out a few times, but just didn't have the patience to be a team leader. If there was ever a job where I could just analyze tactical film and breakdown movement, I'd be happier than a pig in mud. But you have to start early, work your way up. Too old. Too many other interests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Winter we're now playing a prettier brand of soccer but we're not significantly improving our scoring and now we're worse at defending. That's not "better", that's just different.
    Prettier isn't better? Shame I took three decades looking for my wife, then, I guess.

It may be a small measure to you, compared to winning, but believe it or not, to a lot of us winning isn't everything. It's not "The Whole Point." I'd rather watch this team miss the playoffs by six points than an entire season of Preki ball making it into the playoffs by two points.

I'd rather enjoy 30 games and heartbreak than ...33 games and delayed heartbreak, since the front office couldn't sign the right players in either circumstance to get us past the first two rounds.

Yet. And there's one difference. Preki, thank God, is gone. Winter had 3 months to rebuild the roster. So far, all the player we complain about most are holdovers. That's a fairly significant point.

So, they're playing more attractive soccer. They actually threaten to score goals on occasion. How is that not better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    wow, could you be any more condescending, as has been pointed out, there's plenty of great players that haven't worked as coaches. and wasn't winter a midfielder?

plenty of wrong in a post where you're calling other people dumb.
    Uh, HE wasn't who I was responding to. Go back in the thread. I was responding to 69Chevy specifically using the term "idiot" to describe Winter.

But if leaping on a side without actually knowing why or what's going on makes you feel more secure, that's brain chemistry for you.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had stretches of nice, attractive soccer.

But we've also had stretches of some of the ugliest, boring soccer this team has ever produced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Prettier isn't better? Shame I took three decades looking for my wife, then, I guess.

It may be a small measure to you, compared to winning, but believe it or not, to a lot of us winning isn't everything. It's not "The Whole Point." I'd rather watch this team miss the playoffs by six points than an entire season of Preki ball making it into the playoffs by two points.

I'd rather enjoy 30 games and heartbreak than ...33 games and delayed heartbreak, since the front office couldn't sign the right players in either circumstance to get us past the first two rounds.

Yet. And there's one difference. Preki, thank God, is gone. Winter had 3 months to rebuild the roster. So far, all the player we complain about most are holdovers. That's a fairly significant point.

So, they're playing more attractive soccer. They actually threaten to score goals on occasion. How is that not better?
    this man speaks the truth!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreekAce View Post
    this man speaks the truth!
    losing ugly or losing pretty is still losing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, HE wasn't who I was responding to. Go back in the thread. I was responding to 69Chevy specifically using the term "idiot" to describe Winter.

But if leaping on a side without actually knowing why or what's going on makes you feel more secure, that's brain chemistry for you.
    I was harsh calling Winter an idiot, but sometimes when reading posts in this forum ideas float about, change course, bounce around and contradictions abound. One day Attakora is rated the best young defender in Canadian football, and the next day he is a bum, all we have as evidence of this is two or three games where the entire team played poorly, his play was not markedly different from others on the team. Now we lose important games because, in part, the manager has few options on the bench, and on saturday, when it was clear the defenders particularly were languishing in the later part of the game, when it counted most. At that time i peered at the bench for the first time: I had no idea who was in the lineup, I don't have time to review that, nor do I care, but when I discovered again, to my dismay that Attakora was resting his ass at home again, I lost my belief in Winter. There is no way attakora is not good enough to sub for the team in MLS with the worst goals against record. This cannot be anything other than the Manager as dictator, this will do little to promote the team in the transfer window. The top guy is traded for complaining, the next best player is benched for what exactly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    I was harsh calling Winter an idiot, but sometimes when reading posts in this forum ideas float about, change course, bounce around and contradictions abound. One day Attakora is rated the best young defender in Canadian football, and the next day he is a bum, all we have as evidence of this is two or three games where the entire team played poorly, his play was not markedly different from others on the team. Now we lose important games because, in part, the manager has few options on the bench, and on saturday, when it was clear the defenders particularly were languishing in the later part of the game, when it counted most. At that time i peered at the bench for the first time: I had no idea who was in the lineup, I don't have time to review that, nor do I care, but when I discovered again, to my dismay that Attakora was resting his ass at home again, I lost my belief in Winter. There is no way attakora is not good enough to sub for the team in MLS with the worst goals against record. This cannot be anything other than the Manager as dictator, this will do little to promote the team in the transfer window. The top guy is traded for complaining, the next best player is benched for what exactly?
    Actually I think Adam Straith is the best young defender in Canadian football.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then do him a favour, tell him to keep away from TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    losing ugly or losing pretty is still losing.
    a good game is a good game. thats what i go for, winning is gravy, but being able to follow a team that plays good looking football and puts it out there a 100% every game is what i wish for. not quite there yet, but on our way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that first half against Chicago had some of the prettiest play I've seen at BMO... all instigated by the little man. As I sit near the north end, I had a great view of it. People were going "oohh and ahhh" all the time. It completely disintegrated in the second half (and no matter what Chicago did, they weren't doing anything pretty because of the weather conditions, which in my opinion greatly affected both teams.. it was ugly football from both sides in that downpour).

If Winter can get them disciplined to the point that they can keep that up for longer than 45 minutes then we'll have pretty winning with a young, talented squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Then do him a favour, tell him to keep away from TFC
    LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    How many people do you think the, "and Co.," is with this team? How much do you think they spend on that?
    Well I would hope that for Paul Mariner that would be the majority of his job.

I know we don't exactly have a robust scouting department (no MLS team does) but i think generally we have a few good sets of eyes out there, which is more than we could say before.