Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Well, I tried to do that. After talking to Nana and his agent, I contacted the club to try to get a comment from Paul and Aron. They said no comment.

Sometimes the whole story comes out in dribs and drabs over a few days - like in this case when Aron, after originally declined to comment, addressed it when we got a chance to ask him directly about it.

I don't think I did anything wrong. Nor do I think I was sensationalistic. I went to great lengths to give TFC a chance to have their say in the original story - including not running the story until I heard back from them. They chose not to comment.

Had they commented, the focus and tone of the story would have been completely different.

Also, I spoke to Nana's agent first, then I called Nana for confirmation. Had Nana told me what his agent said was BS, it would have ended right there - I would not have written the story at all.

I'm not sure I would do anything differently.

John
    don't you worry you're being used by an agent to get his player a better contract? of course the agent knows the team isn't going to comment; they never seem to on these things. If the negotiations were going well, he wouldnt be talking to you, that's for sure. In that same way, how do you know what you're reporting is the truth? And if the team says "no comment" does that mean what the agent says is truth?
    Last edited by rocker; 05-14-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is everyone beating up on John ? Do you not see the constant propaganda the team feeds us inclusive of the former ticket rep now becoming a writer and putting constant fluff out there. Nana and his agent have their perspective, so does TFC...its a story...so John writes it...geesh people FFS.

Now onto Winter...you better stop this nonsense or you will become the guy who was sheltered as part of a large organization in Holland, who clearly can not take the heat when he is the guy. For those of you who have experienced this...its one thing to be part of the supporting cast but when you are the guy...in business or sports...some people are not cut out for that. I am starting to wonder if Winter is one of those people.

Mr Winter if you are trying to convince me that Gargan has had better games than Nana this season, then you clearly nuts. Enough of the BS. They are pissed at Nana and want to teach him a lesson...maybe even more...but at minimum thats the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    don't you worry you're being used by an agent to get his player a better contract? of course the agent knows the team isn't going to comment; they never seem to on these things. If the negotiations were going well, he wouldnt be talking to you, that's for sure. In that same way, how do you know what you're reporting is the truth? And if the team says "no comment" does that mean what the agent says is truth?
    well, if a player and agent are lying to the media to get a better contract, then thats a story as well is it not? i would certainly like to know what players are lying to the media (which in extension, means us as well) for his personal gain. this isn't some cloudy man in the dark giving quotes, both nana and serioux are named and TFC had every chance to comment on the quotes and didn't. i don't see what the issue is here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not John's job to worry about motives. He's reporting what someone at the club is saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd fucking love to work in a situation that was quiet, and I didnt have to answer to clients or anybody else responsible for my marketing or income. Then it wouldnt matter how well I was doing, I could just suck quietly.

It would be great that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    I'd fucking love to work in a situation that was quiet, and I didnt have to answer to clients or anybody else responsible for my marketing or income. Then it wouldnt matter how well I was doing, I could just suck quietly.

It would be great that.
    Quiet = Youth team coach

Winter you are head coach/manager of the first team. Get used to it - it certainly isn't anywhere near the environment he would be experience in any of the top European leagues.
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    It's not John's job to worry about motives. He's reporting what someone at the club is saying.
    Nope. A journalist has to worry about motives. That's the basic principle behind assessing sources. This is journalism 101.

When I was a journalist I'd often get people calling the newsroom asking me to write a story about certain things.. or I'd interview someone and know they were trying to play me. In those cases I didn't immediately report what they said. In those cases I would wait until I have the other side or I wouldn't write the story at all.

Unless a journalist doesn't mind being used... or being duped... etc.
    Last edited by rocker; 05-14-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't you worry you're being used by an agent to get his player a better contract?
    Not anymore then when a TFC coach or a team official tells me something in order to advance their agenda.

Believe me, I don't write about everything I am fed from an agent, or a player or a team official. I think the key is to develop a good BS radar and an instinct about who to trust and when to trust them, and when you are being worked. you have to make judgements on when you are being given good intel and when you are not.

John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Not anymore then when a TFC coach or a team official tells me something in order to advance their agenda.

Believe me, I don't write about everything I am fed from an agent, or a player or a team official. I think the key is to develop a good BS radar and an instinct about who to trust and when to trust them, and when you are being worked. you have to make judgements on when you are being given good intel and when you are not.

John
    Here's just a concept but I thought I'd throw it out there. Don't report stuff until it's confirmed.

I heard from a guy's parent's uncles's neighbour's doctor's lawn guy that CBC is getting massive funding cuts from the government and that it's going to have to lay off 30% of it's media staff. I wonder if the Sun will print a story about that? They'd call CBC and of course hear "no comment" "there is nothing behind that".....hmmmm, ah, print it anyway.

It's nothing personal John, I made this post as a point only. I just hate wasting my time reading crap, then crap on crap, then... you get my point.

I personally appreciate reading well formed articles that take all sides into consideration but not when one of the side says "no comment". That may make your job harder but work isn't easy, that's why it's called WORK.

Bones...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Here's just a concept but I thought I'd throw it out there. Don't report stuff until it's confirmed.
    It was confirmed by 2 sources. Nana's agent and Nana himself. At this point it becomes a story to report. He was reporting those 2 individuals feelings about a situation.

What more do you want?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attakora was our best player many times last season, and he has hardly played this year, how can anybody assess Attakora based on two poor performances early in this season, is game improved exponentially every month last year; he may become in time Canada's best defender, but he sits on the bench for this lousy mls club?