Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gol TV HD?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gol TV HD?

Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been brought up somewhere else (or about a million times in one place or another).

I keep hearing that GolTV is broadcasting in HD. I can't find it anywhere on my service. I called Rogers to ask what channel it was and they had no listing of GolTV in HD, just the standard channel 428.

While Rogers has no reason to lie to me, I find this odd. Does anyone know which channel it is on Rogers? Does it actually exist?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Rogers is lying to you."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gol TV put the feed out in HD but none ofthe carriers have picked it up. MLSE want you to contact your provider and ask them to pick it up so they can make more $$$

There will only be one reason the the carriers don't have it MLSE will be charging ore than what it is worth to them

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its filmed in HD but none of the carriers are broadcasting it in HD probably due to demand, hence the recommendation that you contact the carrier about asking for the channel.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not HD on my TV....and I do have HD...so kind of defeats the purpose when they say they are HD and its not on Rogers....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I love is that they crop the image for the SD feed (4x3). And then spend a lot of time composing the shots for 16x9, so you miss good chunks of the action often.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    What I love is that they crop the image for the SD feed (4x3). And then spend a lot of time composing the shots for 16x9, so you miss good chunks of the action often.
    Yes, that is bugging the shit out of me.

Remember they had those commercials a while back saying Bell did that and it wasn't HD?

Now Rogers does that and it not only distorts things but it looks like ass. I would rather just have a 4x3 feed that looks good.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    Its not HD on my TV....and I do have HD...so kind of defeats the purpose when they say they are HD and its not on Rogers....
    It's marketing and/or deflection by MLSE. It's not our fault, it's the carriers.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    It's marketing and/or deflection by MLSE. It's not our fault, it's the carriers.
    Really?

Why would they not want the games in HD?

The cameras are HD and recording in HD. They broadcast in HD. The carrier has to alot a channel for HD to broadcast in and that is the missing step right now.

Remember last year when they put it on rogers 500? That was great but a PITA for pvr because it never officially listed the game?

This is about pressure on the carriers to properly alot the channel nothing more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    Really?

Why would they not want the games in HD?

The cameras are HD and recording in HD. They broadcast in HD. The carrier has to alot a channel for HD to broadcast in and that is the missing step right now.

Remember last year when they put it on rogers 500? That was great but a PITA for pvr because it never officially listed the game?

This is about pressure on the carriers to properly alot the channel nothing more.
    A factor of cost to the carriers. MLSE will want a certain amount of money for the HD feed, and the carriers will make a choice based on estimated revenues as to whether or not they want it.

MLSE could lower the price and it would become available in a heartbeat.

Remember, they moved TFC games off the public network onto their own private pay to watch channel for a reason.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    Yes, that is bugging the shit out of me.

Remember they had those commercials a while back saying Bell did that and it wasn't HD?

Now Rogers does that and it not only distorts things but it looks like ass. I would rather just have a 4x3 feed that looks good.
    If Bell/Rogers/Cogeco/etc do that, then why do my CBS/Fox/ABC shows that are not simulcast come through with the lovely black bars on my 4x3 TV?

When they're simulcast, the Canadian feed spits out a garbage 4x3 SD feed, but US regulations declare that even SD feeds must show all of the information from the HD feeds now.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    If Bell/Rogers/Cogeco/etc do that, then why do my CBS/Fox/ABC shows that are not simulcast come through with the lovely black bars on my 4x3 TV?

When they're simulcast, the Canadian feed spits out a garbage 4x3 SD feed, but US regulations declare that even SD feeds must show all of the information from the HD feeds now.
    I have found that when its 4x3 on a HD channel it shows in HD.

When its on standard def channels, its distorted, hence me not watching standard channels anymore.

It changed a few months back and I really dont like it. Not sure about simulcast, I never noticed as I limit the amount I watch to mostly just footy now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MG42 View Post
    "Rogers is lying to you."

Haha. That never gets old.

Chalk this up as another bad decision by the TFC FO. Proving once again that they were more lucky than smart.

There was some mention previously that the carriers want Gol TV to produce a 24-7 HD channel. They don't want to have a random 2-hour TFC game on a preview channel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If GOL TV is not going to shoot the games 4x3 safe - they must start letterboxing the broadcast...

It is getting extremely difficult to watch when the play/ball is out of the frame...

That's great, you're using HD cameras and have an HD truck - but if everyone at home can't see the 16x9 frame - FRAME IT 4X3 SAFE or LETTERBOX THE BROADCAST...

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still confused as to who is primarily responsible.

Is it MLSE for not paying the additional amount required to secure a permanent HD channel?

Is it the cable providers for no longer allowing HD simulcasts on an alternate HD channel?

Why does Real Sports Bar and Grill exclusively broadcast GolTV matches in HD?

In any case, I just hope this deplorable situation is rectified for next season, because there is really no excuse for subjecting paying subscribers to a second class broadcast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I believe they are getting a direct feed from GolTV to Real Sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I am still confused as to who is primarily responsible.

Is it MLSE for not paying the additional amount required to secure a permanent HD channel?

Is it the cable providers for no longer allowing HD simulcasts on an alternate HD channel?

Why does Real Sports Bar and Grill exclusively broadcast GolTV matches in HD?

In any case, I just hope this deplorable situation is rectified for next season, because there is really no excuse for subjecting paying subscribers to a second class broadcast.
    Real Sports is a joke...they call themselves the home for away games...where were they when the Seattle game was on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly have no clue how the cable system works but if I had to guestimate...

My thought is that since GolTV HD would not bring in a substantial viewership, Rogers wants a decent payment from GolTV (MLSE) to broadcast the channel.

Obviously MLSE is thinking how resourceful we have been against them, they think that they could get the supporters to bother rogers enough to lower the fee, due to high demand.

As for the Real Sports bar broadcast, that's just them spending the money to get the HD in there so that people will go there to watch the game.

I lost total respect for that place when I saw that it somehow won the ESPN best sports bar in north america..... before it even opened. Pisses me off that the only money MLSE spends is for marketing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how broadcasting works so I won't comment on this other than to say whoever is at fault, it's a disgrace that I can get Public Television in HD but I can't watch Barcelona games in HD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last year we had GolTv games provided in HD on 501 or something like that. I don't see why this couldnt happen again this year? And it also rubs salt in the wound to see all the Vancouver games on a national sports channel AND in HD. I guess MLSE is happy with the fans they have now, why would they want to expose TFC to anyone else right?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Last year we had GolTv games provided in HD on 501 or something like that. I don't see why this couldnt happen again this year? And it also rubs salt in the wound to see all the Vancouver games on a national sports channel AND in HD. I guess MLSE is happy with the fans they have now, why would they want to expose TFC to anyone else right?
    Its not just Rogers though. Other cable providers were showing TFC games in HD on a preview channel as well in the past. This year no one is.

People are reluctant to lay blame, but its TFC FO's job to take care of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillos View Post
    My thought is that since GolTV HD would not bring in a substantial viewership, Rogers wants a decent payment from GolTV (MLSE) to broadcast the channel.

Obviously MLSE is thinking how resourceful we have been against them, they think that they could get the supporters to bother rogers enough to lower the fee, due to high demand.
    I think this is where we are right now. But thanks to the general apathy of the fan base there is no real push from fans, the providers aren't having their phone lines flooded with complaints. Most fans just don't even notice.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 05-11-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just a reminder from last year.
    The Globe and Mail, Friday, Oct. 1/10. Page S7.

"...MLSE to launch it's own sports network (working title: Real Sports) for which the company has secured a licence.
    "Imagine a channel that had Leafs, Raptors, TFC and Marlies games on it, " Peddie muses.
    "Imagine what you could charge for that."

KD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone! Didn't realize that the "call your Service Provider" was potentially garbled talk for "Help us sell this".

Not sure I know who's ultimately responsible either based on what I am reading, but I think it's fair to say that this is another one of those small things that will eat away in the eyes of supporters. Seems everyone is being greedy in this case. I suppose the only thing I can think of at this point, based on the goings on of the last year, is that it would probably be in the best interest of the club to work something out. Frustrates me to no end that I can see the Whitecaps in HD for the cost of the service, but GolTV costs additionally and lacks quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    If GOL TV is not going to shoot the games 4x3 safe - they must start letterboxing the broadcast...

It is getting extremely difficult to watch when the play/ball is out of the frame...

That's great, you're using HD cameras and have an HD truck - but if everyone at home can't see the 16x9 frame - FRAME IT 4X3 SAFE or LETTERBOX THE BROADCAST...

Carts...
    THIS!

at least then i could use the zoom feature and actually make use of my widescreen tv.. watching standard def 4x3 sux enough, at least let us make full use of our screen real estate

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillos View Post
    I honestly have no clue how the cable system works....

There's only like two or three people on this who board who actually do understand it, but it doesn't stop people from talking like experts on the subject.

Here's one thing I do know for sure - Carriers hate to broadcast letterboxed images, because on a modern tv, you will get pillarboxing on the sides and letterboxing on the top. In short, the image looks like a picture-in-picture window, and people call them to complain.

yes, people will call to complain because they can't figure our the 'zoom function' on their TV. Also sadly, back in the days of VHS tapes, people bought WAY more of the 4x3 for TV copies than then 16x9 film formatted ones. Why? People are idiots.

///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmmikey View Post
    THIS!

at least then i could use the zoom feature and actually make use of my widescreen tv.. watching standard def 4x3 sux enough, at least let us make full use of our screen real estate

ah.

then you are smarter than a whole chunk of the population.

Believe me, many networks refuse to air letterboxed material. Why? because of people who aren't as smart as you.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this will shed some light on the matter...

http://twitter.com/#!/GOLTVCanada

GOLTVCanada GOLTVCanada

#TFCinHD tonight! #FCDallas v #TorontoFC LIVE @ 9 pm et, produced in HD. Call ur service provider and tell them you want it!

10 minutes ago

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Beginning to look clearer now.

No thanks MLSE, I won't be your lacky on this. Other channels get it done, the fact that you can't speaks as to why.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Maybe this will shed some light on the matter...

http://twitter.com/#!/GOLTVCanada

GOLTVCanada GOLTVCanada

#TFCinHD tonight! #FCDallas v #TorontoFC LIVE @ 9 pm et, produced in HD. Call ur service provider and tell them you want it!

10 minutes ago
    Haha. Classic.

Please do our job for us.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    Believe me, many networks refuse to air letterboxed material. Why? because of people who aren't as smart as you.
    That's why I love the US version of the CRTC. They required letterboxing the 16x9 feed for SD 4x3 screens.

Up here in Canada, it's when the "simulcast" crap from CTV, CBC, Global, etc comes into play that we lose the "widescreen", and end up with a 4x3 pan and scan image.