Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could of had Luca Toni last year but Mo and Preki were not interested in him. He wanted a 4 year guaranteed contract at JDG type money. But that is past now.

Many of you would be surprised at how many agents of European based players actually contact TFC to see if they are interested in their players, the problem with some of the agents are they want incredible amounts of money for average players

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd much rather see TFC giving Luca Toni JDG type money than JDG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Fuck that, he's fucken shit. He had 2 good seasons and since then has been brutal internationally and for club. No thank you, guys a joke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    I 100% support us signing ANYONE with the nickname "El Loco".

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    ^ Fuck that, he's fucken shit. He had 2 good seasons and since then has been brutal internationally and for club. No thank you, guys a joke.
    Not saying I disagree, but he'd do more for the squad in 1 game than JDG does all season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's only going to be 13 games left out of 34 when the transfer window opens. Based on our current performance the playoffs will already be out of reach. Why would the FO spend the money on a rent a player?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who says its a rent?
    once again a majority of loans have buy clauses so if it works out its a buy.

also although we arent playing well we were 1 point out of play offs before the dallas game (im hardly suggesting we are going to make them but this league is more up in the air than a good majority out there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    who says its a rent?
    once again a majority of loans have buy clauses so if it works out its a buy
    If you were a "quality" guy coming to mls from europe in July would you sign with the team heading to the playoffs, a team in a major market, or TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    also although we arent playing well we were 1 point out of play offs before the dallas game (im hardly suggesting we are going to make them but this league is more up in the air than a good majority out there)
    After 10 games we have a whopping 10 points. There are 6 teams ahead of us in our division with better points/game production and 7 teams in the west.

I think we can all admit that even some of the tie's we had to date were lucky.

Unless something drastic changes in the next month playoffs aren't even in the cards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE&NR=1 (How do you imbed??)
    Last edited by KGH; 05-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is a team in a major market. Maybe not LA or NY major but TFC has show the potential market in the GTA from day one is large. Their market share is diminished but a "quality" european player would more than likely reverse that. In combination with a winning teamthey would more than likely surpass year 1 numbers. With the increase in ticket prices and the scheduled increases (we all know they want to raise them again) it makes TFC potentialy a very profitable sports franchise.

If they had their ducks in a row and were winning before Vancouver and Montreal were in the MLS Toronto would have had major merch sales across the country.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    After 10 games we have a whopping 10 points. There are 6 teams ahead of us in our division with better points/game production and 7 teams in the west.

Unless something drastic changes in the next month playoffs aren't even in the cards:

(How do you imbed??)
    fixed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    TFC is a team in a major market. Maybe not LA or NY major but TFC has show the potential market in the GTA from day one is large. Their market share is diminished but a "quality" european player would more than likely reverse that. In combination with a winning teamthey would more than likely surpass year 1 numbers. With the increase in ticket prices and the scheduled increases (we all know they want to raise them again) it makes TFC potentialy a very profitable sports franchise.

If they had their ducks in a row and were winning before Vancouver and Montreal were in the MLS Toronto would have had major merch sales across the country.
    I Love toronto as much as anyone but it'll never be a major market team for anything other than hockey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were a "quality" guy coming to mls from europe in July would you sign with the team heading to the playoffs, a team in a major market, or TFC?

Well if im just coming over here to make the end of my career as lucrative as possible, Im likely going to go for the money, but, based on the fact that I have to live wherever I end up.....

Toronto has to offer a boatload more money than LA, Chivas, NY, Seattle, Vancouver, San Jose.

It has to offer more, but not much more than NE, Chicago or Philadelphia

(you might think toronto is the greatest place in the world, but if ive never been there, you're not going to persuade me that its a better destination than any of the above)

I would possibly choose Toronto over Kansas, Houston, Dallas, Salt Lake Colorado or Columbus.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    We could of had Luca Toni last year but Mo and Preki were not interested in him. He wanted a 4 year guaranteed contract at JDG type money. But that is past now.

Many of you would be surprised at how many agents of European based players actually contact TFC to see if they are interested in their players, the problem with some of the agents are they want incredible amounts of money for average players

You finally revealed it. Do you know hard it has been to hold that one in?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Love toronto as much as anyone but it'll never be a major market team for anything other than hockey.
    Toronto is a city with a long and proud history of losing. Bring a winning profession team into the equation and see what happens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    Toronto is a city with a long and proud history of losing. Bring a winning profession team into the equation and see what happens

YES! THIS!

TFC could have owned this city. I think that is what makes me the most bitter. The lost opportunity. You only get one shot at a first impression and they messed it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Well if im just coming over here to make the end of my career as lucrative as possible, Im likely going to go for the money, but, based on the fact that I have to live wherever I end up.....

Toronto has to offer a boatload more money than LA, Chivas, NY, Seattle, Vancouver, San Jose.

(you might think toronto is the greatest place in the world, but if ive never been there, you're not going to persuade me that its a better destination than any of the above)

I would possibly choose Toronto over Kansas, Houston, Dallas, Salt Lake Colorado or Columbus.
    One word....Taxes

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    YES! THIS!

TFC could have owned this city. I think that is what makes me the most bitter. The lost opportunity. You only get one shot at a first impression and they messed it up.
    Exactly. The leafs wouldn't make much of a difference win or lose because the Leafs culture is so ingrained in the lives of so many people. They would see a spike in merch sales but thats about it, but not much of a difference in market penetration because they have already achieve such great market penetration without winning.

If TFC were to start winning now you would see such an increase in market penetration it would be phenomenal. A lot of newbies would become soccer fans just because of the losing culture within the city. If they continues winning (and i'm not saying back to back to back championships, just a top4 finish in the supporters shield race) TFC would be a major contender for attendance and profitability. If they had done this before Montreal or Vancouver had taken a share of the market TFC would be Canada's sweet heart nation wide for soccer fans.
    Last edited by s2cazz; 05-12-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One word....Taxes
    Contracts are paid out by MLS (in the USA) so i'm not sure our players have to register their earnings in Canada and be taxed at canadian rates, i'm sure someone else will be able to shed more light on this

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little birdie whispers thatspanish last name but not from Spain. Played there for a bit now elsewhere.

I am an Online Pole
    RPB Twitter and Facebook Bitch (http://www.twitter.com/redpatchboys)
    Pride...Passion...Purpose...and DRANK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post

It has to compete with 2, maybe three others. No where near an extensive list as you just posted.
    It really isn't that hard to sign a recognizable world footballer to come play here, it really isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    Contracts are paid out by MLS (in the USA) so i'm not sure our players have to register their earnings in Canada and be taxed at canadian rates, i'm sure someone else will be able to shed more light on this
    matters where you work. Not who owns the company.
    Last edited by boban; 05-13-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    matters where you work. Not who ones the company.

You got it. People working for American companies in Canada will pay Canadian taxes.

Toronto may be less appealing to a European footballer because it's in Canada. The draw of the States is more alluring than Canada and even though it's the same league, finishing your career playing in the US sounds better than finishing it in Canada.

Hate to say it but I think it's true - Toronto is not a draw for talented players. The atmosphere might hold some sway (although it's not what it used to be) and we have some pretty fine restaurants. But NY has more, LA has the weather and the glamour, Kansas has BBQ, Columbus has bright yellow uniforms... we just don't top the list!

Of course I would hope that TFC would shell out whatever it takes to land a great player. THere's no excuse not to. Forlan would have made me cry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 110 View Post
    Toronto may be less appealing to a European footballer because it's in Canada. The draw of the States is more alluring than Canada and even though it's the same league, finishing your career playing in the US sounds better than finishing it in Canada.

Hate to say it but I think it's true - Toronto is not a draw for talented players. The atmosphere might hold some sway (although it's not what it used to be) and we have some pretty fine restaurants. But NY has more, LA has the weather and the glamour, Kansas has BBQ, Columbus has bright yellow uniforms... we just don't top the list!

Of course I would hope that TFC would shell out whatever it takes to land a great player. THere's no excuse not to. Forlan would have made me cry.
    You are totally off. How does one explain players going to Japan, Korean, or some Middle east country to play football. Sorry not buying that Canada is not attractive. Pay the money, the player will come to play, Its that simple. And a lot of people in Europe look at Canada and the USA as the same. It's all 'America' to them. To some extent they are right (ie. 'North America').

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    You are totally off. How does one explain players going to Japan, Korean, or some Middle east country to play football. Sorry not buying that Canada is not attractive. Pay the money, the player will come to play, Its that simple. And a lot of people in Europe look at Canada and the USA as the same. It's all 'America' to them. To some extent they are right (ie. 'North America').
    ^this

Canada is an easy sell - socially and economically it is one of the strongest nations in the world as well as being very stable. Toronto is definitely a known entity, granted it doesn't have the ring of NY or L.A., never-the-less it is still an attractive sell that resonates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agent: I just got off the phone with Toronto, they are offering $2.4mil/year, DP status, providing real estate agent to hook up a penthouse downtown near the stadium, have a Mercedes ready to go when you arrive leased in your name.

Player: No no no no NO! How many times do I have to tell you, KANSAS HAS SOME SWEET ASS SMOKED BABY BACK RIBS!!!! GIMME DAT BBQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE&NR=1 (How do you imbed??)
    What part of "THIS WILL BE A REBUILDING YEAR" don't you guys understand? Everyone in the organization said putting in the new system with younger players is the PRIORITY this year...not the playoffs...sheeesh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    YES! THIS!

on a tangent here, but IMO you RPB types have to assume some of the blame for this one - the catchy chants and cheering that are very rarely relevant to what is happening on the field have worn thin on every section but 112...but that's a chat for another time

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A couple of players playing in Italy might be available.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/italy/79465/default.aspx

Newly crowned champions AC Milan will hold a party at Saturday's last home game of the season against Cagliari but the mood has been soured somewhat by midfielder Clarence Seedorf criticising the club's contract policy.
    Seedorf, Alessandro Nesta, captain Massimo Ambrosini and Andrea Pirlo are all out of contract in the close season after the Rossoneri decided to run down their deals before deciding whether to offer new terms.
    "To not have sorted everything out with Nesta, Ambrosini and Pirlo just two weeks from the end of the season is a strategy that I don't agree with," the Dutchman told reporters.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    A couple of players playing in Italy might be available.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/italy/79465/default.aspx
    Ambrosini can eat a dick. He's a useless tool.