Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Schevchenko to Vancouver in June?

https://twitter.com/#!/Southsiders/status/61152828831440896

read this twit.

twat.

whatever you call it.

i personally wouldn't want him, for a billion reasons, but queue someone immediately disagreeing with me. certainly signals intent, though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i actually just saw this on some ukranian site, but not sure where that link is now

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tweet!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree in that I think we could do better, but would rather him than nobody.

By the way, I think we're getting nobody.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If what we want/need is a dp striker, i don't think we could do better than Shevchenko. After the JDG fiasco, i don't think TFC can afford to mess up another dp acquisition, so they'll just sit tight and wait until we're ready to be competitive before making a big player investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that if MLSE doesnt get a high profile DP by July we'll be lucky to have 12,000 fans a game. There's no appeal to the casual fan to come to the games any more. No generally available tv feeds and no big name player to keep banging in the goals. Yes Dero had his faults but he was at least consistent in scoring goals which is what we all want to see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed, i'd want him.

Get the butts in the seats. The goose is frickin dying here man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    agreed, i'd want him.

Wouldnt mind having him..but dont agree he would alot more buts in the seats....

People have to realise that the people besides the ones who come to TFC really dont care about TFC and most likely dont know who SHEVI is anyways!

You want to put more buts in the seats....you bring in a well known ITALIAN..And the Italians in this city will flock...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    agreed, i'd want him.

he may or may not be good and may or may not work, but that's the last reason we should be doing anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    he may or may not be good and may or may not work, but that's the last reason we should be doing anything.
    agreed....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=RPB_RED_NATION_RPB;1282585]Wouldnt mind having him..but dont agree he would alot more buts in the seats....

People have to realise that the people besides the ones who come to TFC really dont care about TFC and most likely dont know who SHEVI is anyways!

You want to put more buts in the seats....you bring in a well known ITALIAN..And the Italians in this city will flock...[/quote

Reason why "most" people don't care about TFC and MLS is because they do know a lot about soccer. No reason why any decent Italian player would want to come here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should be learning from RSL's approach. Don't sink a huge chunk of cash into a single player - build a team with depth instead. (yes I know they have a DP but he making less than 250k)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is kinda funny in one aspect. Here is Vancouver going after their 2nd DP striker in season 1.
    All the while we did fuck all for pretty much 3 seasons, and still have yet to get even 1 DP striker.
    Also of note is all these people on the boards (yes here) always saying we won't attract a high profile DP for this or that reason, yet here is Vancouver (field turf and Cdn city) is looking to get just that - a high profile DP.
    Keep aiming low Toronto fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legend in his day for sure, fantastic striker. For me now though it would not be a wise move. Sheva is on the way down and judging from his time at Chelsea I get the impression when he doesn't have a lot of love for the club then he is not the most effective. Any move to the MLS for him would be a money move and I would not expect total commitment from him. Plaudits to Vancouver if true though, thinking big even though I have my doubts about him in the MLS. Dont worry though we have JDG, he is awesome.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    This is kinda funny in one aspect. Here is Vancouver going after their 2nd DP striker in season 1.
    All the while we did fuck all for pretty much 3 seasons, and still have yet to get even 1 DP striker.
    Also of note is all these people on the boards (yes here) always saying we won't attract a high profile DP for this or that reason, yet here is Vancouver (field turf and Cdn city) is looking to get just that - a high profile DP.
    So true Boban.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

I never understood why people here don't think Toronto isn't capable enough to get a big name soccer player. Toronto is a great soccer market and city in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSL is the best team in the league. Their highest salary is 225K.

Grabbing a star player is not going to work. The way to success in this league is a bunch of nobodies who can play well together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yozzarian View Post

Grabbing a star player is not going to work. The way to success in this league is a bunch of nobodies who can play well together.
    Amen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ OK I've seen that picture too many times. No seriously, it's been used like 30 times on this board. No one needs another Mista reminder... no one.
    Last edited by Mark TFC; 04-22-2011 at 02:38 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yozzarian View Post

I think a DP can help a team, in the right circumstance. I don't believe in signing a DP for the sake of their high profile-ness.

I've also never heard anyone remark that Toronto can't sign a high-profile DP. I've seen many people state that Toronto would have more trouble signing a high-profile DP, than cities like New York and Los Angeles.

Then again, acknowledging nuance has never been the strong suit of people dealing with an apocalyptic case of confirmation bias.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agreed. And what bothers me the most, is that some have convinced themselves and others for years now that not only would a DP be unnessary for success, but would be inherently detrimental to the club's in some way - as in acquiring one would actually make us substantially worst off somehow.

Unfortunately, as myself and others have postulated elsewhere, perhaps the reason why we're not able to pick up on the stereotypical DP-level players is because the club has now gained bad a reputation for treating players. It could be entirely plausible to suggest that Toronto FC is actively seeking the world-class players that come to mind when we think of DPs, but have been told by their colleagues or agents to stay away. I certainly hope that's not the case, but could explain quite a lot.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather get the right DP for TFC than a big name DP.

As for Sheva, I think a 34 yr striker who has never been too comfy with physical game will not do so good in MLS.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    Wouldnt mind having him..but dont agree he would alot more buts in the seats....

You want to put more buts in the seats....you bring in a well known ITALIAN..And the Italians in this city will flock...
    I dont know if I like flocking Italians.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, this isn't so much about a DP per se, it's just about attitude.

Most teams are trying to plug holes and make the playoffs. This year.

I have a simple question for the TFC FO: where are the players?

Who have we brought in? Martina, a couple of guys on loan (the antithesis of building, btw) and a couple of guys in a forced trade.

Our FO is deliberately choosing to throw the season away, and all the "I believe" people are cheering them on.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ill wait until hes on the field to believe it.
    also hes 35, not to say hes not going to be effective but also its not a huge coup of a signing and yes id rather our team is settled before we go out and sign a dp for the hell of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a DP to perk up the gate proceeds is a waste of time and cap space. I'm not sure who we could get who we could afford and would even register for the occasional attendee/non-hardcore fan or the Euro-snob crowd who won't go to any game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'd rather get the right DP for TFC than a big name DP.

As for Sheva, I think a 34 yr striker who has never been too comfy with physical game will not do so good in MLS.
    Agreed.

Sheva was a great player in the Italian league where you get space to move and players walk more than they run. The MLS is more like the EPL than it is Serie A and dude's career went downhill big time when he went to Chelsea.

Very ambitious on the Caps part if true but imo we dont need a player like him. We need to build our team first and then add a DP as the final peice. Be the DP a midfielder, defender or attacker he should push us over the edge - not make us.

And about this sell tickets thing, people will come when the team starts to win and thats the bottom line.

What good is a DP striker if you lose every game? We've seen that show already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    To me, this isn't so much about a DP per se, it's just about attitude.

Most teams are trying to plug holes and make the playoffs. This year.

I have a simple question for the TFC FO: where are the players?

Who have we brought in? Martina, a couple of guys on loan (the antithesis of building, btw) and a couple of guys in a forced trade.

Our FO is deliberately choosing to throw the season away, and all the "I believe" people are cheering them on.
    I completely disagree. While TFC may not be playoff team, it's not as if Winter and Mariner have sat idle and are throwing in the towel on the season. On the contrary, since day one, they have identified holes in the roster and have systematically acquired players in an attempt to fill specific voids within the lineup.

Since Winter and Mariner were hired, 11 players have already been added to the team outside of the draft and academy; Martina, Stevanovic, Gordon, Zavarise, Tchani, Borman, Yourassowsky, Williams, Eckersley, Bouchiba, and Soolsma. It remains to be seen whether the players they've acquired will succeed but given the limited time new management has had to rebuild the club, I would suggest a strong effort has been made to bolster the roster.

At the moment, the club desperately requires a quality attacking midfielder, and I'm sure that issue will be addressed during the summer transfer window based on new management's track record thus far.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 04-22-2011 at 10:47 AM.