Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Real Salt Lake in the Concacaf Champions League

Great article on their rise from the dregs of MLS.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...rsl/index.html

What do people think are the chances of RSL making it to the FIFA Club World Cup?

I am hoping they do and give MLS a taste of the world stage so they stop pussyfooting around the things that are holding this league back, like an overly-restrictive salary cap.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I guess the question to ask is: Despite the hullbaloo about NY and it's collection of stars...is RSL the favourite to take the Supporters Shield or MLS Cup this year with the level of depth they have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its 34-game home unbeaten run in all competitions may well be the longest in the world after Ukraine's Shakhtar Donetsk recently ended its 55-game streak.
    impressive as hell

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know these "feel-good" articles always gloss over the tough times...and we all know there were tough times at RSL. But man do I feel the green tinge of envy when I read Checketts talk about how he runs his club and how Kreis landed some of the best surprises in MLS in the past few years with his Latin-American signings.

I mentioned in another thread about how I guarantee you right now the lockerroom at RSL is humming with positivity, the article seems to point to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Salt Lake is a true powerhouse. Their record last season was incredible. They have opened this season 4-0 so far. Then to top it all off and prove it's not just luck, they are in the Champions League finals.
    They are the only team I am jealous of.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RSL is, hands down, the favourite to win everything in MLS this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Great article on their rise from the dregs of MLS.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...rsl/index.html

What do people think are the chances of RSL making it to the FIFA Club World Cup?

I am hoping they do and give MLS a taste of the world stage so they stop pussyfooting around the things that are holding this league back, like an overly-restrictive salary cap.
    I think if RSL lose the CL, it makes a better case for ridding us of the salary cap than if RSL takes it in spite of the restrictions.

Getting to the club World Cup with a capped team could create the illusion that 'its not about how much you spend, its about determination, hard work (and altitude)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a shame that the league continues to hype/prop up NY & LA when it's clear that RSL are setting the bar.

They make a fine rep for MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and yet they didnt do it in 2 months.
    Definitely something to push for as supporters and definitely something the club should be moving towards.
    I hope they do well in the CL, they sure as hell are fun to watch. Should be interesting to see if their academy a) produces players and b) produces players that fit into their system.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    I think if RSL lose the CL, it makes a better case for ridding us of the salary cap than if RSL takes it in spite of the restrictions.

Getting to the club World Cup with a capped team could create the illusion that 'its not about how much you spend, its about determination, hard work (and altitude)

Hmmm...good point.

Now I am conflicted.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    and yet they didnt do it in 2 months.
    And they didn't do it through the academy...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I guess the question to ask is: Despite the hullbaloo about NY and it's collection of stars...is RSL the favourite to take the Supporters Shield or MLS Cup this year with the level of depth they have?
    yes. simply because of consistency, and they have more depth
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they didn't do it through the academy...
    nope, dont think anyone will be building through their academy for a long while, itll be cool to see who does first and how they do it (as well as the success they have). Dallas seems to have signed quite a few players but obviously they arent all first team etc.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope RSL do well for the league.

I think it is funny that they won't take part in the competition this year with Colorado, Dallas, LA and Seattle taking up the US Spots this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very envious of the team, the ownership and the positive press they are getting right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BS1327 View Post
    I hope RSL do well for the league.

I think it is funny that they won't take part in the competition this year with Colorado, Dallas, LA and Seattle taking up the US Spots this year
    Yeah, it's weird that the champion is not invited back to defend their title. That is if RSL wins...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    Very envious of the team, the ownership and the positive press they are getting right now.
    ....and their cheap season ticket prices.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    ....and their cheap season ticket prices.

And shiny new (roofed) stadium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and still not selling out the stadium ...

i hope the city starts getting behind the team more by coming out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post

This just in! If RSL wins the CCL, MLS will amend the DP status to lower the salary cap hit down to $5,000. Thus allowing RSL and other teams to sign DPs without compromising the rest of the team. On this note RSL choose to sign MISTA, DeRo, and Eric "Red Card" Haasli !!!

Just kidding around, but I can see some rules being bent if they win this thing. The last thing MLS wants is a shellacking by the Asian club champion.

But first step's first. Monteray at home, lets get some away goals.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    yes. simply because of consistency, and they have more depth
    100% This.

+

OptaJack OptaJack

1 - Despite having only played four matches so far, Real Salt Lake only have one ever present starter. Grabavoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    This just in! If RSL wins the CCL, MLS will amend the DP status to lower the salary cap hit down to $5,000. Thus allowing RSL and other teams to sign DPs without compromising the rest of the team. On this note RSL choose to sign MISTA, DeRo, and Eric "Red Card" Haasli !!!

Just kidding around, but I can see some rules being bent if they win this thing. The last thing MLS wants is a shellacking by the Asian club champion.

But first step's first. Monteray at home, lets get some away goals.
    No worries about that, they'll all have been paid to lose and make someone in Singapore a lot of money.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool article. Amazing that a rookie coach could do so well.

match thread for the first leg is here:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27736
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-20-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    and still not selling out the stadium ...

i hope the city starts getting behind the team more by coming out.
    Salt lake city is not toronto. I'd be more concerned that a city of millions of people (NYC, Toronto,) could not pack a stadium more than a tiny city like salt lake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Cool article. Amazing that a rookie coach could do so well.
    Yes, it shows what can be accomplished when you have patience and give a rookie coach and GM time (more than a few months) to build a competitive squad.

The funny thing is, they did a completely unconventional hiring back in 2007. They took a former player, who retired, and installed him immediately as coach after the season had already started.
    Then they didn't hire the GM (Lagerway) until near the end of the season. That's typically the reverse way of doing things. And people here talk about how "late" TFC waited to get a coach and GM in place... or how TFC didn't hire people with enough experience in their roles. Well golly gee, it worked for RSL.
    Last edited by rocker; 04-20-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has that deal RSL signed witn Real Madrid done anything beside friendlies?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Yes, it shows what can be accomplished when you have patience and give a rookie coach and GM time (more than a few months) to build a competitive squad.

The funny thing is, they did a completely unconventional hiring back in 2007. They took a former player, who retired, and installed him immediately as coach after the season had already started.
    Then they didn't hire the GM (Lagerway) until near the end of the season. That's typically the reverse way of doing things. And people here talk about how "late" TFC waited to get a coach and GM in place... or how TFC didn't hire people with enough experience in their roles. Well golly gee, it worked for RSL.
    I like this quote:

To hear Dave Checketts tell the story, his fellow owners and MLS commissioner Don Garber thought the Real Salt Lake owner had lost his mind. In 2007, Checketts called Garber and told him he had decided to move the 34-year-old Kreis straight from the playing field into RSL's head coaching position.
    "You did what?" Garber replied.
    "I think he has every possible characteristic of a great head coach," Checketts said.
    "Dave, we have a whole list of people you could interview for that job."
    "I know. This is the guy I want."
    and also
    "I have been around professional sports long enough to know that great coaches have certain characteristics," says Checketts. "Most are guys who were overachievers. Jason was a star in MLS, but I had watched him play for us. He'd play any position he was ever asked. He had always shown up in phenomenal shape and was an extra hard worker. And he had a will to win and never give up."

The funny thing is, we're a team that is in exactly the same place RSL was in 2007, and now we've done the same sort of thing, let's hope it goes as well (or better). It does seem that our new coaches have a "team first" philosophy and aren't particularly interested in getting another DP.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-20-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote:
    [/I]To hear Dave Checketts tell the story, his fellow owners and MLS commissioner Don Garber thought the Real Salt Lake owner had lost his mind. In 2007, Checketts called Garber and told him he had decided to move the 34-year-old Kreis straight from the playing field into RSL's head coaching position.
    "I think he has every possible characteristic of a great head coach," Checketts said.
    "I know. This is the guy I want."[/I]

That's so MLS with their lousy 'list' and expecting to be consulted. That's what got us Mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Quote:
    [/I]To hear Dave Checketts tell the story, his fellow owners and MLS commissioner Don Garber thought the Real Salt Lake owner had lost his mind. In 2007, Checketts called Garber and told him he had decided to move the 34-year-old Kreis straight from the playing field into RSL's head coaching position.
    "I know. This is the guy I want."[/I]

That's so MLS with their lousy 'list' and expecting to be consulted. That's what got us Mo.
    At least they didn't go back to the MLS "list" but it's also good they didn't do like Checketts and try and pick their own. Things have worked out for him so far so maybe he's a better judge of talent than anyone at MLSE. Better they hired the consultant and let him pick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will watch this game.
    Maybe is time to move to RSL where the houses are cheap and the girls are prettier