Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    You are sitting ?
    Standing in the section I am in results in warnings and then ejection from the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    I think you might be on to something with the team budget being cut back.

It will be interesting to see if they sign one or two DP players in the summer transfer window.

Of course by that time the OTPP shares may be sold and they might want to spend some money to make up for attendance deceases and a possible poor season ticket renewal.

The operating budget is an intersting issue, but do you have any idea what it's been year-by-year and how tightly it's been controlled? Sure, the company is for sale, but is there any reason to believe that something as small as TFC's operating budget would be affected?

We should have been a lot more upset about the operating budget the first three seasons but that's not really an issue now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    The operating budget is an intersting issue, but do you have any idea what it's been year-by-year and how tightly it's been controlled? Sure, the company is for sale, but is there any reason to believe that something as small as TFC's operating budget would be affected?

We should have been a lot more upset about the operating budget the first three seasons but that's not really an issue now.
    If your house is up for sale, would you put a swimming pool in...???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Well, the fact remains that TFC can still spend up to the limits of the cap, and after the DeRo trade, there should be enough cap space available to add a quality AM, pending roster compliance issues and the release of an existing player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yeah, he probably meant other expenses besides the salary cap, like a DP. It's possible that a DP expense will be approved if a good enough deal comes along. Yes, Mariner will probably have to make a good case for spending the money, but that was likely the situation before the company was put up for sale.

Otherwise there aren't really any addition expenses - the place is finally fully staffed, there's grass and so on.

And besides, lots of people do pay for "staging" when putting their house up for sale. It's just that TFC is such a small part of MLSE it's unlikely the budget that was approved before the season will change.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Who ever said I was a journalist? Grow a thicker skin.... jeez

So a part time journalist?

Ewwww.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Football is a funny game sometimes.

According to Opta, Philadelphia has averaged the fewest shots per game out of any MLS side, yet they are in first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Quality shots, are key.

Santos, took two half opportunites that under Dichio would have turned into two decent shots on net, OR two passess to runners coming into the box, but made two usless field goals. Had they been on net, they would have been chances, but skying them is of little utility.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ Quality shots, are key.

Santos, took two half opportunites that under Dichio would have turned into two decent shots on net, OR two passess to runners coming into the box, but made two usless field goals. Had they been on net, they would have been chances, but skying them is of little utility.
    Santos can create his own chances, Dichio couldn't really. But i get your point...if Santos had Dichio's touch and eye for the net, he'd be up near the top of the league in scoring every year.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Santos can create his own chances, Dichio couldn't really. But i get your point...if Santos had Dichio's touch and eye for the net, he'd be up near the top of the league in scoring every year.
    And he probably wouldn't be playing for TFC, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree. To be clear I was ussing Dichio as an illustration, to illustrate that there are shots and shots. The two by Santos, were not only not real chances, but not even close to being chances at the end of it all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What? I can think of at least 7 Dichio goals that he created out of nothing.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danny had 15 goals in 59 appearances for TFC, and Santos has 5 goals in 18 appearances. Their scoring ratio is almost identical -- 1 in 4 (give or take).

Neither was or is going to light the world on fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    What? I can think of at least 7 Dichio goals that he created out of nothing.
    I was thinking about it, last night, I understand what Gazza was saying in that Dichio was not mobile, but he created changes with his positioning and physicality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    Danny had 15 goals in 59 appearances for TFC, and Santos has 5 goals in 18 appearances. Their scoring ratio is almost identical -- 1 in 4 (give or take).

That is not a apples to apples comaprison. Many of Danny's apperances were not full games. Dichio was much better as a complete target man CF, and a scoring threat. Santos simply does not have that touch and nose for goal Danny had. We have had no CF, who was as a good an otherall player, as Danny, despite his lack of mobility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

despite his lack of mobility.
    Don't forget the lack of goals either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Again you are looking at many games were he played only partial games, and came in very late. He was much more of a scoring threat then any of our other CFs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was much more of a scoring threat then any of our other CFs.
    You are right - he nearly scored loads of goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget the lack of goals either.
    Target strikers are also rarely the top goal scorers for a team. Dichio had his share of goals, but he also did well to set up others. (I can remember so many chances Dichio created for Cunty to screw up)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of Danny's and many of Santos's 'appearances' have been as late substitutions. Over the years, statistics like these take precedence over the memory of what actually happened. Its a given that Danny would have scored more if he'd started more games and hadnt suffered the concussion. Santos is a regular competent league forward, he knows where the net is and how to find it, he'll score goals if he gets played often and doesnt get dicked around in off positions every week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree that Santos would be better is allowed to simply play CF, and grow in the position.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Target strikers are also rarely the top goal scorers for a team. Dichio had his share of goals, but he also did well to set up others. (I can remember so many chances Dichio created for Cunty to screw up)
    Had one of the best first touches in the history of all TFC players.

I liked Dichio... but that's also kind of sad.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I agree that Santos would be better is allowed to simply play CF, and grow in the position.
    But I like Gordon up top too.

This team might be better constructed as a 4-2-2-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Sounds like they are getting ready to start a conga line!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No that was Barrett.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. When he was playing full games, and fit, he had the best goal scoring ability of any CF we have had, at least of those who had a chance. When he greated chances, and when he chances he finished them at a very respectable rate.

You may disagree, good for you. I do not give a shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like they are getting ready to start a conga line!
    That is acctualy a formation played quite a bit in and by Barzil. In Brazil it is Samba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    But I like Gordon up top too.

He has been decent. I would like it, but I doubt Winter would think about it.