Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it sad you have to go to a US news paper to get a positive headline about the TFC game?

And thanks for the articles, as usual they mandatory morning reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a point is a piont i guess.

I also noticed RSL won again.

they have only given up 1 goal so far this season (yes i realize it is only 4 games in) and they have scored 8

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

today's Coed Girls 1 & 2
    Evil will always triumph over good because good is dumb.

The Dynasty Continues - RWN - Champions SoctoberFest! '11, GoTFC Supporters Cup '10. Indoor Cup '10, '09, Niagara Cup '08 & '09. Be Champions. 6 for 8 :)

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d

anybody have an update on dicoy williams ?
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe it's just me but I'd like to see Winter put out a better back 4 for a change. Not sure why he's relying on Harden... I'd like to see this back 4 in front of frei.

Borman---Williams---Cann---Yourassowsky

All told, hard fought game and a deserved point. With no real attacking options other than Martina and Stevanovich we did well to get a point. Place landycakes in LA's line up and I think we would have lost that game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frei's comment in his post game interview was awesome, "it was Chad, you know, I wasn't about to let him score"!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    a point is a piont i guess.

I also noticed RSL won again.

they have only given up 1 goal so far this season (yes i realize it is only 4 games in) and they have scored 8
    They are my favourites to win the SS this year. Also, I could possibly see them win the CCL this year. For a club that holds some of the all-time "crap" records in MLS (just like TFC does), their rebuild following the firing of their GM and coach has been phenomenal. It shows what's possible in this league.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My report on the game.

tough to criticise with gordon and santos out, but not really a great performance going forward was it?

haven't had time to read articles other than the star. I hope the rest aren't as beckham centric, but the headlines suggest they might be.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Is it sad you have to go to a US news paper to get a positive headline about the TFC game?
    Isn't that something, eh?

I remember John Molinaro writing on here that it wasn't his job to make TFC successful, it was his job to report on it.

We know there is a bit of a pissing match with the club over access and that in this town, negativity sells. With all that in mind, this is what he chooses to report on:

"But in reality the glass is half empty, this performance representing a backwards step..."

"Toronto's lack of offensive depth was brutally laid bare for all to see on this night."

"Serb newcomer never really influenced the game as he was deprived of quality service..."

"... tactical switch did not pay off, though. TFC's defenders looked disorganized and clueless"

"Julian de Guzman failed to make an impression..."

And with all that "evidence" of a punchless performance, who can resist a parting (personal?) shot at the recent target of your media ban?

"Curiously, Toronto coach Aron Winter thinks his team has sufficient quality attacking options..."

John, I like your writing. But you are right. Your job is to report on the game, not inject your own personal bias into the coverage. I don't expect the media to be cheerleaders but I also expect that the full story will be presented.

If you see a full 90 of crap, report it as such. If you see half and half, please consider reporting the full picture.

I do find it ironic that you stated it wasn't your job to make TFC successful.

If the media ends up killing the team with negativity, what exactly will be your job going forward?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Isn't that something, eh?

I remember John Molinaro writing on here that it wasn't his job to make TFC successful, it was his job to report on it.

We know there is a bit of a pissing match with the club over access and that in this town, negativity sells. With all that in mind, this is what he chooses to report on:

"But in reality the glass is half empty, this performance representing a backwards step..."

"Toronto's lack of offensive depth was brutally laid bare for all to see on this night."

"Serb newcomer never really influenced the game as he was deprived of quality service..."

"... tactical switch did not pay off, though. TFC's defenders looked disorganized and clueless"

"Julian de Guzman failed to make an impression..."

And with all that "evidence" of a punchless performance, who can resist a parting (personal?) shot at the recent target of your media ban?

"Curiously, Toronto coach Aron Winter thinks his team has sufficient quality attacking options..."

John, I like your writing. But you are right. Your job is to report on the game, not inject your own personal bias into the coverage. I don't expect the media to be cheerleaders but I also expect that the full story will be presented.

If you see a full 90 of crap, report it as such. If you see half and half, please consider reporting the full picture.

I do find it ironic that you stated it wasn't your job to make TFC successful.

If the media ends up killing the team with negativity, what exactly will be your job going forward?
    I honestly didn't see much that was positive last night. If I did, that would have been reflected in my report.

There's no pissing match with Aron. In fact, we had both locker-room and gym access last night, so that's no longer an issue.

JM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    My report on the game.

tough to criticise with gordon and santos out, but not really a great performance going forward was it?

haven't had time to read articles other than the star. I hope the rest aren't as beckham centric, but the headlines suggest they might be.
    This made me think. I definitely think we needed Gordon out there to fight for some of those balls in LA's 18 yard box. But I'm not so sure Santos would have benefited us last night. Both Tchani and Peterson seemed to push the ball up a little more effectively than Santos has who clearly played out of position in the midfield so far this year. I would ultimately split the striker position between Santos and Gordon if I was Winter.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow.... If Beckham wasn't happy with the officials...... he should imaging how we felt about it.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    I honestly didn't see much that was positive last night. If I did, that would have been reflected in my report.

There's no pissing match with Aron. In fact, we had both locker-room and gym access last night, so that's no longer an issue.

JM
    So the glass is half empty but it's not half empty? Instead, it's entirely empty?

Get real John.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

THANK god the MANUre / Beckham fucking love fest 2011 is OVER.
    What a horrific time at BMO, I was in 3 sections throughout the game and all 3 were littered with people focussed on becks and LA, even in 111 I had 2 twats chattering on and on and on about him and LA as a team. . I was sickened by it, like Anderson in the matrix, their putrid filth fill my pores and turned my gut. . . I could noT wait to get out of there. .

I didnt mind all the 3-Lion kits though

Saturday NIGHT game ahead. . Im focussed on that, thankfully last night is a VERY VERY distant memory.

PS, it was hard to play against 12 men, the ref was so obviously against us.
    lol Chad!
    lol Becks
    lol LA! eat shit and fuck off.

TechnorB
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Props have to be given to Phonzo, Jack and Pat. . (others as well)

there was not ONE MOMENT all game they were not giving it 100% in teh stands.
    well done lads. Proud of ya.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

JM
    So, the body of your piece is essentially:

<-- insert highlights of perceived ineffectiveness -->

followed by:

"Curiously, Toronto coach Aron Winter thinks his team has sufficient quality attacking options"

It appears as thought you attempted to undermine his judgement and paint a picture that he is a little out to lunch by using the sarcasm that was preceded by selected examples of ineffectiveness.

I mean you could have easily removed the sarcasm and offered something like:

"Despite some offensive challenges in this game, Winter still believes his team has sufficient quality attacking options"

With TFC sitting second in the eastern conference in Goals For, granted with some teams having games in hand, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to go with the more neutral of the statements and cut the new coach some slack, would it?

You can see how we might perceive that your coverage is biased towards the negative and that there are lingering misgivings about the way you've been treated to this point (ie. DeRo trade day practice issues, player access, etc)?
    Last edited by Pookie; 04-14-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    So the glass is half empty but it's not half empty? Instead, it's entirely empty?

Get real John.
    Man, did you watch the whole game last night? And were you watching on TV, or did you go to the ground like I did? You have got to be high if you think any part of the squad performed well on a consistent basis yesterday. Tchani is a disaster and the attacking prowess we're supposed to have simply isn't there yet.

Molinaro is right - compared to what we saw against San Jose, last night was a step backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before the game many people were saying that this was the real test for TFC. The first few games were against expansion teams and mid or low table scrub teams. Well we tied LA Galaxy. A depleted LA side but we had our own missing playmakers too.

The only people who should be complaining about underperforming are the Galaxy fans.

Now if we can't get it done against DCU that might be a different story. I hope the coaches tell our defensive line to keep their mitts off Charlie Davies. We saw last week what he's learned in Europe.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 04-14-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

followed by:

"Curiously, Toronto coach Aron Winter thinks his team has sufficient quality attacking options"

It appears as thought you attempted to undermine his judgement and paint a picture that he is a little out to lunch by using the sarcasm that was preceded by selected examples of ineffectiveness.

"Despite some offensive challenges in this game, Winter still believes his team has sufficient quality attacking options"

With TFC sitting second in the eastern conference in Goals For, granted with some teams having games in hand, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to go with the more neutral of the statements and cut the new coach some slack, would it?

You can see how we might perceive that your coverage is biased towards the negative and that there are lingering misgivings about the way you've been treated to this point (ie. DeRo trade day practice issues, player access, etc)?
    Pook, we've won ONE game out of the FIVE we've played.

You think that merits slack-cutting? Who gives a flying fuck about goals for right now?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Props have to be given to Phonzo, Jack and Pat. . (others as well)

there was not ONE MOMENT all game they were not giving it 100% in teh stands.
    well done lads. Proud of ya.
    Too bad you had such a rotten time Giles, shoulda been in 112. No Becks love in there, that's for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I don't understand where your expectations are coming from. Why do you think we should be doing so much better than we are?

IMO we've got MONTHS of development to be done yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

followed by:

I honestly didn't think I was being sarcastic.

Seriously, no bias/ill feelings against Aron. I like a lot of things he's done.

I even wrote a glowing blog last week about him and how he's changed the culture of the team.

JM

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JM
    Fair enough. We all see the game differently.

As for positives, I felt Tchani had a pretty good game. He broke up a fair bit of LA's movement through the midfield. He also started to become out guy in the midfield to move the ball through when play transitioned.

Frei as usual bailed us out when needed.

There were periods of the game when we moved the ball well, however, I'll grant you that it rarely resulted in positive results.

Also, if it were not for a couple outstanding saves and one play where Ricketts just happened to be in the right place we could have potted a couple goals.

Coming into the game most "experts" didn't give TFC much chance of getting anything out of this game. The kids played against an LA team stacked with MLS vets and came away with a point.

Was is a great game played by TFC? No, not at all. But I'll respectfully disagree there were very few positives that it was not worth mentioning them in an article on the game.
    Last edited by Suds; 04-14-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    THANK god the MANUre / Beckham fucking love fest 2011 is OVER.
    What a horrific time at BMO, I was in 3 sections throughout the game and all 3 were littered with people focussed on becks and LA, even in 111 I had 2 twats chattering on and on and on about him and LA as a team. . I was sickened by it, like Anderson in the matrix, their putrid filth fill my pores and turned my gut. . . I could noT wait to get out of there. .

I didnt mind all the 3-Lion kits though

Saturday NIGHT game ahead. . Im focussed on that, thankfully last night is a VERY VERY distant memory.

PS, it was hard to play against 12 men, the ref was so obviously against us.
    lol Chad!
    lol Becks
    lol LA! eat shit and fuck off.

TechnorB
    True.
    and how many of the sell-out crowd will be there cheering the lads on in the wind and rain on saturday? I'm guessing less than 15,000.

On the plus side, the south stand was back to its packed-out capacity last night - great night in 115 despite the dreadful match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Pook, we've won ONE game out of the FIVE we've played.

You think that merits slack-cutting? Who gives a flying fuck about goals for right now?
    Well, if you're like most sane people, you wrote the season off when De Ro was traded. Unless you were delusional and thought he didn't contribute to this team in a positive manner.

I'll take the draw because we have no offensive options. I disagree with John's assessment that TFC played poorly.

TFC is a naturally undertalented team at this point. Any play where we string three passes together needs to be considered success.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Well, if you're like most sane people, you wrote the season off when De Ro was traded. Unless you were delusional and thought he didn't contribute to this team in a positive manner.

I'll take the draw because we have no offensive options. I disagree with John's assessment that TFC played poorly.

TFC is a naturally undertalented team at this point. Any play where we string three passes together needs to be considered success.
    Colour me insane, then, because the day we traded DeRo felt to me like a fresh start filled with potential. I want a club that's not built around a single player, and it started to feel like that was possible. The Chivas game shook that belief a little (granted, we would've won if not for an early moment where our D was caught sleeping, again, and DeRo wouldn't have saved us). The San Jose game reinforced my belief.

Last night has shaken it again. A talentless, back-stepping performance. If you've PVR'd the game, watch the first 15 minutes and tell me how many times the ball is in LA's half. Then we can have a conversation about "attractive, attacking football" and you can again tell me to be patient and that we're rebuilding.

Yep, I'm crazy indeed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Junky View Post
    Frei's comment in his post game interview was awesome, "it was Chad, you know, I wasn't about to let him score"!!!
    Even if frei did want him to score Chad would miss it bwwrrahahahahahaha

Same ol barrett..always missing!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lay off John guys, he is an invited guest here and one of the few (only) reporters to show his face here. Do you want to chase him away too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Lay off John guys, he is an invited guest here and one of the few (only) reporters to show his face here. Do you want to chase him away too?
    Sincerely appreciate the support Roogsy, but I'm not above criticism.

I respect that people don't always (or ever!) agree with me. That's fine. I have no problem with that.

JM